Exercise! - Anybody use Nike+iPod??

View Full Version : Anybody use Nike+iPod??

kristanc
12-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Anybody use the Nike+iPod to track your workouts??? I just got it for Christmas!!!

I noticed that you can "challenge" others and make teams. Anyone want to join me??
:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Mini-Me
12-28-2006, 09:27 PM
How does it work?

kristanc
12-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Check out nikeplus.com

It's basically a small chip that is placed in the bottom of your shoe (or if you're cheap like me and don't want to spend a ton of $$ on a "special" Nike shoe it can attach to your laces) and a reciever that plugs into you iPod. The chip tracks your speed and distance and then you can log it on the nike+ website!

WindyCityChick
12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Kristin, I've been using the Nike+ kit for a couple months now, and I really like it. Initially I just used it to track my runs, which is great in and of itself, but in December, I started participating in some of the challenges and I find it really motivational. Even though the stakes are nothing, there's something about knowing that the people you are competing with are out there running - it gets me out the door when I feel a little lazy. If you want to start a 3FC challenge, I'd definitely participate.

kristanc
12-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Cool!! Hopefully we can get a few more and start a challenge!!

elisa822
12-28-2006, 10:37 PM
I had heard about this product and first thought it was silly and that you had to buy a specific Nike shoe (which don't always work well for me). Just the other day I saw a piece on the news about it and how you can use the chip with any shoe so now I'm way more intrigued!!

Is it expensive? Does the music really change based on your speed? Okay, I'll go the Nike site and see if I can get some answers. ;) If I purchase one, I'll be back to join the challenge!

WindyCityChick
12-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Elisa, the Nike website won't say this (of course), but you do not need to purchase the Nike shoes to use this. I got a little pouch (www.marware.com) that holds the chip on the top of my laces, and it's worked without any issues. If you are a crafty kind of person, you could probably sew your own version too - but I'm about as clumsy as it comes at that kind of thing, so the marware holder was worth it to me.

Also, the price for the kit is not that much - only $30. You have to have an ipod nano to use it, but if you already do, then the cost of the kit is pretty reasonable.

kristanc
12-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I had heard about this product and first thought it was silly and that you had to buy a specific Nike shoe (which don't always work well for me). Just the other day I saw a piece on the news about it and how you can use the chip with any shoe so now I'm way more intrigued!!

Is it expensive? Does the music really change based on your speed? Okay, I'll go the Nike site and see if I can get some answers. ;) If I purchase one, I'll be back to join the challenge!

Elisa-

I didn't buy the "special" Nike shoes either. Just went with the pouch that attaches to the shoe lace.

I don't believe that the music changes with your speed, but I've only used it once so I could be wrong! But you can make or buy "sport mixes"

Hopefully you will join us!

AmberD
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi!

I got one of those for Christmas. BF got me the nano, the nike +, the little thingy that makes it so I can use it on any shoe :carrot: It's not diamonds but it's a close second.

I would LOVE to join a challenge. I was reading about how you can do that online. I actually just got the thing yesterday (they delivered it late), so I haven't set it up yet. Is it difficult?

Lovestorun
12-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Everyone! I would love to join this challange too. I have been using the Nike+ since about July/August and I love it. I did buy the nike shoe along with it I guess I am truly a sucker. HA Acutally I purchased two pairs as I like to rotate my shoes around. I have been kinda lacking in miles lately so this would probably help me get it back so bring it ON.... :carrot: :carrot:

Hope everyone has a wonderful NEW YEAR!

kristanc
12-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi!

I got one of those for Christmas. BF got me the nano, the nike +, the little thingy that makes it so I can use it on any shoe :carrot: It's not diamonds but it's a close second.

I would LOVE to join a challenge. I was reading about how you can do that online. I actually just got the thing yesterday (they delivered it late), so I haven't set it up yet. Is it difficult?

Not very difficult to set up at all! Basically you just plug the reciever in the iPod and put the chip in your shoe!

Hopefully we can get a few more interested and try to start a challenge on the first!!!

elisa822
12-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Since I had always thought you needed the Nike shoe, I never really looked into it and didn't realize how reasonable the price was...well, it's cheap since I do already own the Nano. I do need a new pair of shoes but want the freedom to buy whatever shoe is best for me.

I'm going to look into it very soon! Here (Canada) it appears to be about $39 which is okay, I guess. And I'm sure I can find the pouch somewhere here, if I just ask around. I like to buy my shoes from The Running Room (not sure if that's a Canadian chain or not) and I'm sure they'll know all about it.

I don't know if I'll be able to get one right away but I will definitely keep you posted.

So, just so I understand - all it really does is track your statistics etc. so it's really just a motivational thing?

And thanks everyone for all the information!

kristanc
12-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, it basically tracks your speed, distance, time ect. Then you upload your data at the nikeplus website where it graphs your progress.

WindyCityChick
12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Also, if you use the online training log at Nikerunning.com and use the same login id for both the Nikeplus and the Nikerunning site, it will automatically populate the log with your run data. That training log allows you to log activities other than running , keep notes on weather, etc.

kristanc
12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Good to know Rachel!! Thanks!

elisa822
12-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey, remember when I said I would look into the Nike+ipod soon? Well soon came pretty fast since I've already come home with one!!:o

I haven't done anything with it yet but it looks pretty simple. The mall was crazy today so I couldn't look for that pouch that was recommended. I can't believe that I won't be able to find one but I took a quick look at that marware website and the product they have, and that looked perfect! And a very reasonable $10. Oh well, I often have trouble when shipping from a US website to Canada. The shipping costs can be crazy and then I get slammed with a duty charge too. Oh well, I'll have to keep looking.

If anyone knows of anywhere else to get a pouch like that, let me know.

This is so exciting!! :D

kristanc
12-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Yea!!! I'm like you...wasn't really planning to get it just yet but did!

I think tomorrow I'm going to run to the craft store and see what I can fabricate to attach it to the laces...right now I'm just slipping the chip under the insole of my shoe!

ennay
12-30-2006, 02:11 PM
That's good to know about the pouch, I dont have an ipod (I'm one of those weird runners who prefers to run without music) but someday I might change my mind. Currently I use a GPS system, but pods are supposed to be just as accurate.

Anyway, I DO buy pretty expensive shoes, but Nike's dont fit my feet so I never looked at their pod

LookingForHope16
12-31-2006, 05:15 AM
I got Nike running shoes for Christmas.

But how do I know if they are the ones?!

Anyone know where I can get a cheap ipod charger? My puppy chewed it up!

kristanc
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
I got Nike running shoes for Christmas.

But how do I know if they are the ones?!

Anyone know where I can get a cheap ipod charger? My puppy chewed it up!

I believe the Nike+ shoes have a "cavity" under the liner where the chip goes.

From the website- "A Nike+ sensor pocket located in the arch area holds the sensor for your Apple iPod Nano™ tightly."
http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,grid,_grid,f-26005+22004+10001&sitesrc=USPL#l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-111763/pid-116208,_grid,f-26005+22004%2010001/ip-100/pn-1&re=US&co=US&la=EN

You might check eBay for a charger or maybe Walmart? You are talking about a AC charger (plug in the wall right?)

If you still have the USB cord this is pretty reasonable!

http://macwizards.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=33

Or this one if you don't have the USB cord.

http://base.google.com/base/a/1322713/D13988381593596169953

kristanc
12-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey ennay-

I just put this "pouch" together in under 5 mins and cost me less than $2 to make!!

(Beware-not too pretty to look at!! But it works! When I have more time I will make it "pretty"!)

1)Up close on shoe
2)Side by side comparison
3)Side 1
4)Side 2
5)Pouch

stallieswife
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Can i be added as well? I just got the nike+ for Christmas from my husband. He also got me a pair of the nike shoes. I've been using it and love it so much! Its probably one of the best christmas presents i've ever been given!

Oh my nike id is niki8402

thanks!

kristanc
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Cool!! When do you guys want to start? Also, do we want to do a distance race? Who ever has the most miles in a month (ex) wins?

WindyCityChick
01-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Count me in! My nike id is rachelw123. I definitely vote for distance rather than speed. I have fairly decent endurance, but am quite slow - looking forward to the day when I don't fear being passed by speed walkers!

kristanc
01-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Ok everybody. Post up your nike+ id (or PM if you prefer) and I will get it going. We will probably do month by month starting yesterday (it will include any miles logged yesterday). Sounds good?

stallieswife
01-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds good to me!!

AmberD
01-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm in! I haven't set up my ID yet... But I'll be sure to get on that :)

redhead30
01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Does it have to be the nano? I have the regular ipod. It should work on the treadmill too right?

WindyCityChick
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry redhead, I hear the kit does work on the treadmill (I would rather run in almost any weather conditions outside rather than resorting to the dreadmill) but it only works with the nano - at least for now.

elisa822
01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
So I went for my first run today, inspired by my new toy. I used a key pouch that goes on your shoe (stuffed to keep the sensor in place) and it seemed to work just fine.

Since I can't remember the last time I actually ran and was never much more than a wannabee runner, I was thrilled by my little tiny sucess! I made it 2.5 km with no real trouble at all. :carrot:

My first mini-goal is to make it to 5km. I always felt that while that's not a great distance, it's a place at which I could really call myself a runner.

So, I need to upload to Nike and I'm happy to join in any challenges (I'll confirm my ID when it's all set up) but to be honest, I don't expect to really be much of a challenge to anyone! ;) I'm still learning, I still love my aerobics classes and the weather does not quite inspire me yet to commit to much more than one or two runs a week. Well, with all those excuses being said, you can still count me in for something!!

Looking forward to running with everyone! :D

AmberD
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
My ID is QueenAmber1, or do you need the actual email address that we sign in with?

Maybe we could do a group challenge? I haven't played with it very much but can't you set it up so that you and your friends try to collectively reach X amount of miles?

Yea, the only working with the nano thing is genious. I had to go out and buy (in reality recieve as a gift) another iPod when I had a perfectly good mini!!!

kristanc
01-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Blah!!! The have been updating the website for a better part of today. As soon as I can access it I will get it set up!

SmartButt
01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm a bit bummed. I just got a Nano for xmas and I'm a very "newbie" runner, so I thought this would be an awesome fun thing to do.

However, the more I researched it, the more I realized it's just a pedometer. Meaning - it doesn't actually know if you're running in place or running a hundred miles. You could easily fake it out by stomping your feet for a good length of time.

I did see that Polar and Adidas are coming together to make a shirt that monitors your heart rate, and the same chip type of thing that uses inertia-based measurement technology (rather than strike) to actually note your true distance. However, it isn't as "fun" as putting it into my Nano :(

So, now I'm confused as to which I would want.

elisa822
01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm a "newbie" runner too but I still think it's a great gadget, especially for the price. I don't mean to say I have money to throw around but the price isn't really much more than a pedometer, if you're not buying the shoes and already have the nano.

And while I guess you could "fake it out", what would be the point? I would love a heartrate monitor too but, like I said, for the price I think it's a great deal.

So come on and join in!! :D

My ID is the same as here...elisa822

Mini-Me
01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going to look into getting one of these!!!

kristanc
01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Ok, ladies. The challenge section is STILL down! As soon as it gets back up I will get everything set up!

AmberD
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I haven't done lot's of research, in fact I've done none, but I thought the Nike thing used a GPS sorta dodad to see how far you went.

In unrelated news, i'm trying to put together a kick butt running mix. Do you guys have any must have running songs?

SmartButt
01-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Amber - I was researching the other night and what I came up with from a few forums was that in fact no, it uses no GPS technology. If it did, it wouldn't need to be on your shoe to work, it would actually know where you start and where you finish. Kinda creepy!

I'll participate when I get the chip & the challenge comes back online. I'm asking in my regular forum (calorie counters) to see if anyone else wants to do this.

Maybe we'll start a new fad ;)

kristanc
01-05-2007, 11:26 AM
The challenges are finally working today! If you posted your username over there you should recieve an e-mail shortly!

I set the challenge to start today and end on the 31st!

Good Luck Everybody!

elisa822
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I see I've been challenged!!

Well, I'm in but sadly knowing that I will not be the winner. I'm not being negative but, like I said, I'm new and manage to only fit in a run maybe once a week between my other workouts. BUT, this may motivate me to do more.

What I really can't believe is that I chose this morning, the first morning this week, to leave my ipod at home so I can't even go at lunch now and get an early start!!:(

Good luck to everybody!!

SmartButt
01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I won't have a chip until I get my next paycheck, Christmas left me broke.

If you have a Feb. challenge I'll join in.

If you don't want to "challenge", you can also get a team that works towards a common goal, like 1,000 miles or something. I know some people are more motivated by team effort rather than individual competition. *shrug*

elisa822
01-05-2007, 09:36 PM
That's a great idea about the group goal. I do like an individual challenge but, like I said, I don't see me being much of a "challenge" this month.

My plan is to get into running shape on the treadmill (while participating in the January challenge) and plan to hit the pavement when spring comes.

I say let's see how January goes and maybe we can decide for February if we would prefer a challenge or a group goal.

SmartButt
01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
elisa - I'm sure you could do better than I could! I'm terrible with running.

I'm pretty sure that the chip will count walking as miles, but I'm not sure how that's reflected in the "challenge." Does the chip know when you're walking vs. running?

I think a total miles, whether walked or ran, would be good - not everyone likes to run or is ready to run.

stallieswife
01-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I got an invite but when i click on it, i get to the nike page and it doesnt say anything about the challenge. Anyone else having this problem?

AmberD
01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
I didn't get an invite

WindyCityChick
01-06-2007, 01:43 AM
I got an invite but when i click on it, i get to the nike page and it doesnt say anything about the challenge. Anyone else having this problem?

The Nike site has been having problems, no doubt due to the additional traffic from all those lucky runners who got the kit in their x-mas stockings. I was able to get in earlier today and accept the challenge, but I can't get back in now. Just keep trying and hopefully, the website will eventually stabilize.

elisa822
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
The first time I checked, I also couldn't get into the site to accept. I'll try again later.

And yes, the chip counts walking as well as running. If we're doing a challenge or a goal for distance, then it won't matter whether you run or walk. It tracks your speed but it's still up to you whether you walk, jog, run or any combination.

Right now, I'm basing all of my personal goals on distance to start. For me it's more motivating. I'm aiming to be able to get to 5K and then I'll work on time..

kristanc
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I didn't get an invite

Sorry Amber! Didn't see your screen name until just now! I will get you added. All of your runs prior to today should count! SORRY!!!

kristanc
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Ok Amber-you should have an invite now!

Geez Rachel-your kicking our butts!

stallieswife
01-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I tried to post a message to you girls on nike plus trash talk thing, but then it stopped working.

Anyway i'll just post it here.

Way to go girls! Keep up the great work!

elisa822
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can never seem to get into the Nike site to view the challenge and progress etc. but I'm going to keep trying and hopefully get to some running.

I just realized that the challenge is for total mileage for whoever was asking about walking vs. running.

I'm still finding the Nike + website a bit frustrating but I like the product.

Keep up the good work everyone!

WindyCityChick
01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, the site is definitely still having issues - it's frustrating, I can only get in sporadically. But keep logging those miles, they'll get things fixed eventually I hope. (and today was a non-running day for me, so it's an opportunity to catch up)

elisa822
01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Well I'm still struggling over at the Nike website but I have another question for those using the Nike +

Did anyone calibrate their sensor? I know the manual said that it is fairly accurate for most people. I ran today at the gym (yay!) and I don't know if the treadmill itself is any more reliable but the treadmill said I did just under 3 km (based on converting the miles to kilometres) by my ipod said I did 3.25 km.

I'm okay if it's a bit off but should I trust the treadmill and try to calibrate the unit or wait until I run outside and know the distance for sure? Or just say who cares and know that it is a bit off.

Just wondering if anyone else checked the accuracy.

stallieswife
01-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Mine was like .2 ahead of what my treadmill said. So i calibrated it and now its perfect.

I never run outside (its either to cold or to hot here). I enjoy running inside where i can control how hot or cold it is.

WindyCityChick
01-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I calibrated mine as well - it wasn't too far off, maybe 5%, but it was easy enough to do the calibration and get it closer.

elisa822
01-09-2007, 08:41 AM
I looked in the manual about how to calibrate the unit but, if I understand it correctly, you have to know the distance that you're going to walk/run. Is that right?

Did you use the treadmill to calibrate or do it outside? I wasn't sure if the treadmill was accurate either.

Thanks!

WindyCityChick
01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, you do need to know the distance you have actually run in order to calibrate. I did mine on a local jogging path that has mile markers on it.

FrustratedYoYoDieter
01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Got the Nike + for the holidays and it is still sitting in the box. Does it have to be calibrated before you start using it? Can you use it on the treadmill???

elisa822
01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
No, you don't have to calibrate the unit. I think the manual states that it's fairly accurate right out of the box for most people. As I mentioned in an earlier post, mine seems to be a bit off, at least judging by what distance the treadmill says that I have run. I haven't yet calibrated it so it might be a bit off, but now that I know it, it doesn't matter too much.

And I guess that answers your other question. Yes, you can certainly use it on the treadmill. I have yet to use it outside, since I'm not a fan of the cold, but I don't know about others here.

There's really nothing at all to set up so I say hook it up and go!

Hope this helps.

kristanc
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Yep, I use my both on the treadmill and outside! No problems at all!

NavyWifeDee
01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
If you guys have a February challenge, I'm in... my nike+ name is deeinthekeys.. hope you guys have fun with January, and that I'm able to run more in Feb. right now I'm signed up for a 5k on feb. 17th.

Dee

kristanc
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Dee-

If you would like I can add you to Jan! It will include all your previous runs!

elisa822
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I was just coming to say that all you 3FC people are kicking my beginner runner's butt!! ;)

I'm proud of my little bit of running but am still trying to get up to 5km at a time. I've only been able to squeeze in one or two runs a week and they seem to, for now, average about 3.5 km. I'm getting there though and I'm enjoying watching my numbers go up on the Nike site. It seems a little simple almost but it can be surprisingly motivating.

Kristan - I'm not sure if the site would include previous runs before you "accept" the challenge. I'm no expert on the site and I only did one run before the challenge (and it was in January) and it's included in my personal totals but not the challenge totals. Unless it was before the start date?? I think my run was Jan. 2nd.

For me, no big deal either way given the numbers we're looking at, I just wanted to let you know.

If there's something I'm missing, let me know! And thanks for setting up the challenge. I really hope to keep improving.

NavyWifeDee
01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks Kristan, but I'm so new to running that this month is sad.... I've only just now gotten to where I can run 1/2 mile without stopping. I have a 5k next month though, so will be working up some more mileage soon.

elisa822
01-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Dee - good for you for going for the 5km next month. There's a website that shows you how to train for a 5km race, if it's your first. I think it's set up for a "novice" rather than a "beginner" which just has to do with the current shape you're in. I think it's an 8 week program.

Here's the link...there's also links there to a walking program and more advance stuff too. http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

As I said above, I'm also new and hoping to get to 5k soon. I'm at about 3.5 km and am hoping to go for 4 next week. I guess where you live, there's a lot more options at this time of year. I don't know that I'll get outside to run until March or April...but that's just because, being new, I'm scared of the cold and the snow/ice etc.

Good luck and let us know how your progress goes.