Weight Loss Support - The "What I did for ME" thread-December

MissH
12-26-2006, 02:22 PM
What did you do for yourself today that was good? A good decision. It can be anything.

Getting some exercise

Eating a healthy meal

Eating a smaller-than-normal portion of dessert

Passing on the dessert tray at a restaurant

Saying "no" to someone instead of always being the one to say "yes"

It can be anything. Anything that makes you feel good and not feel like running to food.

I'm going to try and post something on this thread daily. It may take until the end of the day before I do something good for myself, but I will try every day. I'd love for everyone to post here daily. Let's see how long we can make this thread. :)

MissH
12-26-2006, 02:24 PM
And I will start.

I will push myself away from my computer and go downstairs and get my workout done. :)

rockinrobin
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM
I like this thread. Very, very much so. Good idea!! :)

I woke up early this morning and instead of trying to go back to sleep I did 75 sit-ups. Granted I would have done them anyway, but it felt great to get them out of the way. I usually do 2 sets a day, who knows maybe today I'll get in 3 sets.

MissH
12-26-2006, 03:59 PM
I like this thread. Very, very much so. Good idea!! :)

I woke up early this morning and instead of trying to go back to sleep I did 75 sit-ups. Granted I would have done them anyway, but it felt great to get them out of the way. I usually do 2 sets a day, who knows maybe today I'll get in 3 sets.

I am impressed! 1) with the sit-ups; and 2) with crawling out of bed instead of hitting the snooze! :)

YAY!

Akec
12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I ate breakfast (a serving of sugar-free oatmeal) even though I was NOT hungry and did not feel like eating. Yay me. lol This is fun. :)

ennay
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I just got back from the gym--full body weights and 40 or so minutes on the bike (I stopped to fix my foot thingy and had to restart so I dont know exactly how long I went)

MissH
12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Akec and ennay -- great job!

I had a close one. I was feeling pretty stressed this evening for various reasons, and I desperately wanted to turn to tortilla chips and cheese. Ugh. NOT good.

But I decided to compromise. I got some Healthy Choice veggie soup & sprinkled some lowfat parmesan on it & a few dashes of tabasco. And I got a small handful of tortilla chips - NO CHEESE!

I think I'm ok now. LOL

LittleElectron
12-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Hmmm, I love baking and cooking. So, instead of making cookies or another dessert, I made a delicious and healthy black bean soup for dinner instead. Thanks, MissH, for setting up this thread.

MissH
12-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Hmmm, I love baking and cooking. So, instead of making cookies or another dessert, I made a delicious and healthy black bean soup for dinner instead. Thanks, MissH, for setting up this thread.
*drool* I want to come over! :D

senorita
12-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Great topic! It's nice to take a minute to think about what good choices we made and how we were good to ourselves.

I'm stoked that I fit in 'incidental' exercise by getting up early (I am a hardcore night owl, so this is big!), using my lunch break and a bit of pre-dinner time to get in three 15 min brisk walks. Not nearly as intimidating as thinking, "I have to go do 45 mins now!". Also I'm pleased that I ran a mile in a good time for me and more importantly, that afterwards I felt really pumped and was looking forward to doing it the next day!

Sorry this is long, I can get a bit overly wordy! Yay everyone here :)

Dr Geri
12-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Great way to celebrate the little positive things!

I marched in place while watching a movie, and then popped in an aerobics tape. I also ordered two new in-home walking DVDs.

Geri :wave:

Obsidianbbw
12-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much.
I am going to back track a little, yesterday I made a big pot of healty stuff froze half and left half. Was nice to think it was a big pot of non processed stuff.

This morning ate fruit for breakfast. Hope everyone else has a good day.

Jen415
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
This morning when I got to work, I popped a piece of sugarless gum in my mouth rather than help myself to the Christmas treats someone brought and put on the kitchen table!!!

(Don't these people know it's Dec. 27th and Christmas is OVER??????)

MissH
12-27-2006, 09:01 AM
This morning when I got to work, I popped a piece of sugarless gum in my mouth rather than help myself to the Christmas treats someone brought and put on the kitchen table!!!

(Don't these people know it's Dec. 27th and Christmas is OVER??????) :woohoo: :cp:

Sunnigummi
12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Go you Jen!!! I agree that this is a fan-tas-tic thread, MissH. Here's my 2 cents:

a) I've come home for the holidays and instead of doing nothing and watching tv, I've walked 4.5 miles every morning with my mom (I usually walk 4).

b) I've controlled my eating (I know I'm an overeater, which is the cause of my weight gain) so far and I didn't think I could do it!! :carrot:

MissH
12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
You are all awesome and making really great decisions. This thread is really helping me to think about the good decisions I can make for myself everyday. YAY! ;) :hug: :carrot:

rockinrobin
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I DID NOT STEP ON THE SCALE TODAY!!! This is the first time I can say that since I started this back in September. AND IT FELT MARVELOUS! I am done weighing myself everyday. Although I weighed myself everyday, I only recorded it on Mondays. I would go on the scale some 20, 30 times and this was all before my breakfast. I was driving myself crazy.Last week is when I said enough is enough. I showed a 2 lb weight gain on Tuesday, since Monday. So last week I was really on that thing a lot. I even went and ordered a brand new Tanita expensive scale because of that stupid 2 lb weight gain. And when this Monday rolled around again, I was down 1 1/2 lbs for the week. So if I'd only weighed myself every Monday I never would have seen that so called 2 lb gain, never would have bought a new expensive scale, never would have made myself crazy.

Scales are not precise enough and neither are our bodies. So from now on it's once a week for me.

NewDay4MeToo
12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I resolved to go out and buy a bra that I can feel confident in. The weight loss has been altering my girls, and they are definitely smaller. So I went out and bought one that makes my chest look good. It also makes me look slimmer!

I also looked in the mirror and just marveled at my waist. I need to take more time to appreciate what I have. I have a waist now!

MissH
12-27-2006, 02:57 PM
NewDay and Robin, that is awesome!

This morning did NOT go as planned for me. I did not get to work on the house as I had hoped. Instead, I had to take my son to the doctor (nothing major). But as most of you know, an unplanned (heck, even a planned) trip to any doc's office or clinic can take half your day. *sigh* And so we didn't get home until noon - lunchtime. Times like this often have me grabbing any ole thing for lunch because I'm frustrated that my morning didn't go as planned.

But this time I really made an effort to THINK about what I would have for lunch. I ended up with about 4 oz. of grilled chicken, 1/2 cup of plain rice w/1tsp. margarine, and 1/2 cup of green beans. About 300 calories. Not bad!

I have to be on my toes, though. I WILL work out today! :)

100percentME
12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Im having an awesome day!
I was woken up this morning by the workers building a house down the street (i live in a new neighborhood). I am NOT a morning person so i was getting mad at all the noise so i decided to get out of bed and do my new exercise DVD. I did the 20 min exercise and i have felt great all day. People always say that you feel better if you get up and exercise, and today is proof!
Then my family went shopping and when we got back i did another round of exercising, this time i did a different exercise on my DVD that was 60 min. YAY ME!!!
Sorry bout all this cockyness, but i am having an awesome day. I got on the scale this morning and i only gained 1.5 over the 25th and 26th. I was expecting so much more!
Hope everyone is doing good!

MissH
12-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Sorry bout all this cockyness...
Nooo, not cockiness! This thread is precisely for writing down all of our deliberate good choices! And you made some GREAT choices today!

All too often, losing weight is filled with daily negatives. "I shouldn't have eaten that." "I should have worked out." Etc., etc.....

When we consciously make good decisions for ourselves, we should be darn happy about it and acknowledge it.

This thread isn't meant to be a "I did better than you" thread. I want it to inspire us. :)

So, no matter how little or BIG the good decision is, let's HEAR IT! :D

ennay
12-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Ran 9.5 miles!

MissH
12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Ran 9.5 miles!
No way!!!

:carrot: :D :carrot: :D

MissH
12-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I really didn't want the pizza I ordered for my family. I did want something "fast foody," but at least somewhat healthy. So, I hit the Subway a few doors down and got a lowfat sub. Mmmm! I'm so glad I made that choice. :)

Obsidianbbw
12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Went to dinner with my dept (i love the holidays but will be happy when it is all over.) I didn't drink, and I had a dessert, but I am ok with that. I did 2 mile WATP DVD even though I REALLY didn't want to, but I feel better for it.:carrot:

MissH
12-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Went to dinner with my dept (i love the holidays but will be happy when it is all over.) I didn't drink, and I had a dessert, but I am ok with that. I did 2 mile WATP DVD even though I REALLY didn't want to, but I feel better for it.:carrot:
Nice! Pushing myself to work out when I'm wanting to be a lethargic slug always makes me happy! :) Go you!!

p.s. I love Leslie's tapes.

AmberD
12-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I had a slice of sugar free pumpkin pie instead of eating half a pumpkin roll likeI wanted too :)

MissH
12-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I had a slice of sugar free pumpkin pie instead of eating half a pumpkin roll likeI wanted too :)
Very cool! :cool:

LittleElectron
12-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow, you know you've had a bad day when you really, really have to struggle for something you did well. Um, I signed up for a test prep course that I was procrastinating on doing. I'm still stressed out about it, but at least I took positive action. Oh, and I ate 5 servings of veggies today.

MissH
12-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow, you know you've had a bad day when you really, really have to struggle for something you did well.
Yes, but you DID do something good for yourself! That is what counts.

ennay
12-27-2006, 11:15 PM
goooooooo veggies :carrot: :carrot:

wait...would a carrot be dancing because you ate carrots?

MissH
12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
goooooooo veggies :carrot: :carrot:

wait...would a carrot be dancing because you ate carrots?

:cb: :cb: Use the bananas. ;)

LittleElectron
12-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Awww, you guys made me smile! I needed that :) I'm gonna destress by doing a quick mile on the treadmill instead of snacking. So another good thing for myself :)

MissH
12-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Awww, you guys made me smile! I needed that :) I'm gonna destress by doing a quick mile on the treadmill instead of snacking. So another good thing for myself :)
Now THAT is a great choice!

Dang. Y'all are gonna keep me on my toes! :D

Obsidianbbw
12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
This is a little thing, but this thread is what helped me. Managed to get in and out of Starbucks with only my ice coffee. I didn't buy anything in the display cases. I think I was even a little abrupt with the cashier because I wanted to hurry and leave. LOL

MissH
12-28-2006, 09:20 AM
This is a little thing, but this thread is what helped me. Managed to get in and out of Starbucks with only my ice coffee. I didn't buy anything in the display cases. I think I was even a little abrupt with the cashier because I wanted to hurry and leave. LOL
Obsidian, to me, something like that is NOT a little thing, because I struggle to get out of stores without the purchase of candy or something else that will sabatoge my weight loss efforts. So, KUDOS to you! :hug:

rockinrobin
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh I agree 100%. I was food shopping yesterday, filled up my cart with lots and lots of healthy stuff. When I got to the register there was a huge display of Mallomars cookies there - something I haven't had since I was a kid and I was dying for them, just dying. It is soooo difficult food shopping and seeing all the "bad" stuff. Every time you get out of there without making a bad purchase is a HUGE victory in my book!!

MissH
12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
It is soooo difficult food shopping and seeing all the "bad" stuff. Every time you get out of there without making a bad purchase is a HUGE victory in my book!!
Amen to that!! :cookie: :no: :cookie: :no:

ennay
12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Today I let myself sleep in REALLY late. My little boy woke up to be nursed at a time where I have usually already been up for hours, and I brought him in bed with me and we both dozed off for another hour.... blisssss

and the best part is, I dont feel guilty even one little bit

JamieY
12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Even though I was sick this week as well as my two boys, I still ate healthy and got in a few workouts.:carrot:

JamieY
12-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Ok I have another one, sorry, I lost 4lbs over the holiday by saying no to all the tasty treats. ;)

charlenej
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I love reading all of your little victories which are really big when you add them all up.

This morning I Meditated for twenty minutes before I got out of bed and then did some gentle stretching yoga poses which I haven't done in a long time. It was a great way to start my day.

AmberD
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
:) wow guys! You're doing so awesome. I have yet to do anything good for me yet, but i'm motivated to do something I can post here within the next few hours before bed.

MissH
12-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Today I had a Dairy Queen Blizzard. LOL

How is that a good decision? Well, I was craving some ice cream. Normally I'd just go to the grocery store and buy a few half gallons for the family. That, of course, leads to ice cream night after night until it's gone. :dizzy:

So, instead of doing that, I opted for a small oreo blizzard. That satisfied my craving, and I wasn't fixated on food all night, eating everying else under the sun because what I really wanted was ice cream. Mmmmm.

Sounds funny, I know. But hey, consistency, right? If I have been consistent eating total crap in abundance for years to put the weight on, then I have to be consistent in portion control to help get the weight off.

moderationmoderationmoderation! :)

Obsidianbbw
12-29-2006, 12:37 AM
I totally agree with you. Moderation is the key.

Today I had a Dairy Queen Blizzard. LOL

How is that a good decision? Well, I was craving some ice cream. Normally I'd just go to the grocery store and buy a few half gallons for the family. That, of course, leads to ice cream night after night until it's gone. :dizzy:

So, instead of doing that, I opted for a small oreo blizzard. That satisfied my craving, and I wasn't fixated on food all night, eating everying else under the sun because what I really wanted was ice cream. Mmmmm.

Sounds funny, I know. But hey, consistency, right? If I have been consistent eating total crap in abundance for years to put the weight on, then I have to be consistent in portion control to help get the weight off.

moderationmoderationmoderation! :)

MissH
12-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I totally agree with you. Moderation is the key.
Yes. I just can't moderately eat ice cream every day. :lol:

100percentME
12-29-2006, 01:09 AM
I didnt step on the scale this morning!!!!
I usually weigh myself several times a day, but i decided im only going to weigh myself every other day from now on. This is my first day in months that i havent weighed myself upon getting up.
I did weigh myself at night, but hey, im taking baby steps. :)

Obsidianbbw
12-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Managed to get past the display case at starbucks. I think it also helped I had just finished a pear so I wasn't feeling hungry any more. I do know tomorrow I am making something good for breakfast...egg white omlet or something. All this starbucks will end since I am out of training and I won't have to be up so early every morning.

Early Happy New Year to everyone.

Obsidianbbw
12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Neither can I, one downfall is my boyfriend. He LOVES ice cream and one of out past times is buying a pint of ben and jerry's (for each of us) and sitting in front of the TV watching movies. Yes, you can see how helpful this is for my weight loss. All the excercise lifting the spoon. Also we tend to eat out alot.

I've realized with this thread alot of little choice make up the big one of trying to lose weight. So I am going to focus on the mini wars and not the big battle.

Completely off topic. Did anyone see Night at the museum. What did you think.

Yes. I just can't moderately eat ice cream every day. :lol:

MissH
12-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I've realized with this thread alot of little choice make up the big one of trying to lose weight. So I am going to focus on the mini wars and not the big battle.
I think you're right. When I think about all the unhealthy choices I've made over the last couple years to get where I am now, it really makes me mad. Now I have to retrain myself to make good decisions that will benefit my health automatically.

Completely off topic. Did anyone see Night at the museum. What did you think.
Is that the Ben Stiller movie? I haven't seen it.

rockinrobin
12-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I got a manicure for the first time in, I don't know maybe 15 years, maybe more. I've always said what a waste of time and money, I could do them perfectly (almost) on my own and what not. My 3 daughters get them all the time. And today I don't know what it is..... I just went and had it done. I think in the back of my mind I was too self-conscious sitting there in the chair, taking up so much room. I know that's absolutely absurd, but why else would I suddenly do it now, weighing 70 lbs less then before? Being obese really does very strange things to the mind that have absolutely NOTHING to do with weight at all. :dunno:

MissH
12-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Being obese really does very strange things to the mind that have absolutely NOTHING to do with weight at all. :dunno:
It really does. :?:

Yay for the manicure!

ennay
12-29-2006, 01:35 PM
ran to the gym, lifted weights, ran home, made a super yummy omelette

brandnewme
12-29-2006, 07:50 PM
I dyed my hair. I've been wanting to for nearly 2 years now, but because my "stylist" aka my mom hasn't had time to come here to do it, and I haven't had time to go there for her to do it, it just didn't get done. The last time I'd dyed my hair was in July of '04. So, today I decided I'd just do it by myself. If I end up with green hair, I will say I did it for the holidays :P

I'm also going to do my nails, because they need it and because *I* need it!

Obsidianbbw
12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Instead of sitting on the couch vegging...I cleaned...a little, LOL. now I going to start the packing process for my trip this weekend rather than wait till tomorrow and end up running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

charlenej
12-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I made healthy split pea soup for dinner from scratch and bread from a mix that wasn't too healthy but only had one small slice. Yum!

MissH
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I've been feeling a bit stressed the last couple of days. Yesterday I didn't get a chance to work out. I worked on my house for about 6 hours (remodeling, etc.).

Today I decided that I would not eat just because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, AND that I would stop working in time to have the energy to work out.

I was successful. :) I ate healthy all day and did a WATP 4 mile work out. Yay!

Obsidianbbw
12-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Would you mind sharing the recipe. I am trying to cook at home more and that is my favorite soup.

I made healthy split pea soup for dinner from scratch and bread from a mix that wasn't too healthy but only had one small slice. Yum!

charlenej
12-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Split Pea Soup Recipe:

1 bag (16oz) of green or yellow split peas rinsed
8 cups of hot water
1 tablespoon chicken bouillion paste (brand is "Better Than Bouillion")
2 meaty ham hocks or 1 cup lean chopped ham
2 bay leaves
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 small onion chopped or (I just added two halves for flavor and then removed before serving because my family doesn't like it in the soup)
1 rib celery chopped
1 large carrot chopped
dash of red pepper
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried (optional)
salt to taste (I didn't add because bouillion & ham has salt)

Throw it all in a large pot to boiling then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occassionally until peas are very soft and soup thickens about 2 hours or so. Take out ham bone-let cool then cut off any meat that didn't fall off the bone and add back into soup. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Optional: puree 1/2 of the soup in a blender to make creamier but I didn't need to tonight it was thick enough just by cooking long enough.

You can also put all of this in the crockpot in the morning and let cook all day (about 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high) but I started too late to do that.

About 200 calories for 1 cup serving.

Enjoy!!

Obsidianbbw
12-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Finally finished my 100 mile walk goal. Got up this morning and knocked out the last 4 miles. Also posted my goals for the year in my blog.

:carrot:

ennay
12-30-2006, 05:42 PM
That's too funny, I am making split pea soup today! Got a lot of ham leftover from Xmas dinner. I love having soup around...and it freezes so well. My recipe is pretty similar to charlenes except I dont use the bouillion, I use 1T of poultry rub and 2 cups of chicken broth (instead of some of the water) and I use more carrots. Oh and today I used leeks instead of some of the onion because I had some that were going wilty on me. - my soups tend to be flexible based on what is actually in my fridge.

Oh, and I use a tiny bit of oil. If I am not doing the crockpot method I sautee all the veggies lightly before adding the broth, peas and hambone. I think it brings out more of the flavor.

And I end up pureeing the whole thing. dh loves my soups if I puree them and hates them if I dont. I have a stick blender so I will pull out the ham bone, puree everything, and then add some diced ham that I held back. I like the ham pieces better if they arent cooked to death.

MissH
12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I set aside time for myself to get in a good workout today. That is something that used to be a habit, but I've fallen out of that habit because I seem to be always too busy with family and other things. I need to change that.

MissH
12-31-2006, 08:49 AM
That sounds yummy, iaf. :)

Wow - what are you doing up so early? (I noticed you ate soup at 4 a.m.)

As for me - I actually got out of bed before 7 and did 2 miles with Leslie Sansone. That won't be the only good thing I do for myself today, but it's a start.

ladyinwhite
12-31-2006, 08:50 AM
What did I do for me? I joined 2fatchicks! :) Sitting here sipping my morning coffee and browsing this site. It's great! I have a feeling it is going to become habit forming. I think it is going to be very helpful as I work towards my goals.

Good Morning!

MissH
12-31-2006, 09:10 AM
4am is my normal wakeup time - I have several kids still at home, so this is my only "time for me" time.

I really like the idea of Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Dinner like a Pauper. Makes quite a lot of sense to me, especially with my current schedule.....
Ahhh. Makes sense. :)

Ladyinwhite - don't forget to do something good for yourself every day. :)

AmberD
01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
iaf - that sounds absolutely fantastic :) I wish I wasn't such a sissy and would go out and do that!

I went to my kickboxing class. I've been avoiding it for weeks because it's hard! but I went! and though I'll be sore tomorrow, I'm glad I've started exercising again!