Weight Loss Support - I'm Giving Up!

View Full Version : I'm Giving Up!

tweetyandme
12-26-2006, 06:49 AM
No one said that dieting was easy, and no one ever said that exercising was either. I find them both equally hard. I tell myself that i will start my diet today, and i do. I limit my food intake at first, but then when the day is over, i have had more food then i had wanted to have. I am a compulsive eater. Some days i will eat only the equivilant of one meals worth of food, and other days i will eat enough food to feed ten starving people! I don't even realize i do it! How can you control something you do if you don't even realize your doing it until it's too late? I can only tell myself that i won't do it again, but i always do it again. I am tired of feeling so bad after i eat food!!!

I am a type-1 diabetic, so i rarely eat any sugar, and i have a limited amount of carbs. I try hard to go for the low-fat foods if i can help it, but when you have very little money, the foods that you WANT to have often can't be had. In a 2 week period, i have gained 10 pounds!!!!! That scares me!!!!

I'll admit that i don't exercise the way i should. I have many permanantly broken bones in my right lower leg, and the bones in my left leg are not structured correctly. I have been to the doctor, and multiple surgeries are needed to fix my problems, so that eliminates me from doing much running/jogging exercises, and i need to do some fat burning exercises before i do tone up exercises.

With all of these problems, i am thinking on just giving up on weight loss altogether!

I need some support and encouragment which i lack from my friends and family. If anyone can help me in that department, please do. I need all the help i can get! Thank you for reading this long post. :hug:

JayEll
12-26-2006, 07:37 AM
tweetyand me, I can think of a few things that you could try that might help you in your struggles.

1. Track your foods in some way, but not necessarily to try to change anything. You say you don't realize what you've eaten--well, write everything down in a little notebook when you eat it, or use a computer tracker like FitDay. This is just to stay aware of what you eat when you eat it, rather than later when it's already in your body. Once you have this information, you can think about how to change it.

2. Type 1 diabetes makes things harder for sure. You'll want to check with your doctor about what kind of food plan and exercise plan would help you to lose weight, or at least not to gain weight. Perhaps seeing a nutritionist or dietitian would be a good idea too. If you've already done these things, then hopefully you have some information to work with.

3. Even with your leg problems, you can probably do a non-weight-bearing exercise like using a stationary bicycle, or your could find a YMCA that offers water aerobics classes. Having some small hand weights for working your upper body and arm muscles can help. If you can't afford buying weights, you can start with canned food! I'm serious.

4. I noticed you went from 190 to 159! That is so great! More than 30 pounds! Now is not the time to give up! I would be terrifically happy to weigh 159. Perhaps you could break your goal into intermediate goals, such as, make your next goal 150, which doesn't look so far away.

You might also want to look at posts in the "Dieting with Disabilities" section. You're not alone in this.

Hang in there!

Jay
198/179/155

jillybean720
12-26-2006, 08:52 AM
I agree with a lot of what JayEll said. You've come so far already (and I, too, would be ECSTATIC to weigh 159!)...don't forget about all the success you've had already just because you're a bit frustrated right now.

I hear you on the compulsive eating thing. I am very much a compulsive eater. If it is there, I will eat it whether I am hungry or not (and I will eat ALL of it, not just 1 serving :devil: ). To avoid this, I don't have it there! I have lots and lots of food in my kitchen, but it's 99% ingredients and not things I could just easily grab and eat on their own. Everything in my kitchen takes time and preparation before it's really edible/palatable, so it really makes me think about what I'm eating. If it takes me 20 minutes to put together a meal, then I'mmuch less likely to eat when I'm not hungry because even if I'm doing it mindlessly, that's 20 minutes for me to really get a grasp on what I'm doing before the food is even ready! This could also help with the budget since "ingredients" are generally much cheaper than convenient or prepared foods (I keep raw meat, cans of plain beans, uncooked rice and pasta, whole vegetables that require prep, etc.). I do have a few convenience foods, but not anything that would be very good alone without cooking up something else to go with it (for example, I have frozen brown rice that cooks up in 3 minutes, but I wouldn't eat it without some chicken or something to go with it).

As far as exercise goes, I understand why you think you need to lose fat before you can tone, but keep in mind that building muscle increases the number of calories you burn at rest (since muscle burns more calories than fat). Who cares if you can't see the muscles quite yet because they're still covered with a layer of fat? If you work them, they will work for you, and you can often even lose inches by doing strength training even if your scale isn't moving (and who wouldn't want to lose a few inches?). Heck, you may even find that with strength training added, you don't have to lose as much weight as you originally thought because you will be more solid and lean even at a higher weight. I know women who weigh over 300 pounds who regularly do strength training, and it has helped immensely! So don't think you have to wait--don't use that layer of fat as an excuse to let your muscles go!

Keep in mind, also, that this is a difficult time of year for just about everyone. It's no excuse to throw all caution to the wind, but we all struggle with the goodies and parties and whatnot this season. Maybe the new year will bring a better perspective and a bit of a fresh start for you as it does for many others :^:

Stinger
12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
First of all you have already lost 21 lbs. Way to go! You may not have support from family and friends but you have a wonderful support here on 3 fat chicks. People have posted alot of great ideas.

I just thought of one idea that may help. Clear out areas for yourself and put the foods that you are allowed to eat in those areas. That way if you are grabbing things to eat you can only eats stuff in your area.

Another idea is to fix meals ahead of time and freeze them. That way you will have more choices.

I was also wondering if you are able to walk about 20-30 mins. a day? Is there a mall or somewhere close by that you can walk inside for free?

Just don't give up. You've already invested a lot of time and energy into losing the first 21 lbs. You can do this.

TwoPeas

LLV
12-26-2006, 10:40 AM
You can't give up! You've lost 20 pounds! You're DOING it.

KnitALisa
12-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Even with your leg problems, you can probably do a non-weight-bearing exercise like using a stationary bicycle, or your could find a YMCA that offers water aerobics classes.
Just wanted to say amen to the water aerobics! They are such a fantabulous work out; when I get out of the water, my muscles feel like they got a good work out, but my joints don't hurt!! No knee or hip pain, etc. It's great.

telemetrynurse
12-26-2006, 01:35 PM
:hug: :hug: tweetyandme:hug: :hug:

Don't give up! You CAN do this and you are SO worth it! I can really relate to the "compulsive eater" statement you made. Food is my drug of choice. There are MANY other people who struggle with this. You are NOT alone! There is a forum here that deals with compulsive eating, bingeing, etc. with lots of wonderful and supportive people ...... "chicks in control" http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Good luck!

MissH
12-26-2006, 01:50 PM
So many good suggestions already. :) :)

Like telemetrynurse, food is my drug of choice as well. The bad thing about that is that we can't stop eating! One can stop drinking or doing heroin, but we can't stop eating. So, we have to manage our intake.

Let me add to the applause for your 21-pound loss so far! I can't wait until I've lost that much. It's HARD work. Whew.

As others have said, you are so worth the effort. Sometimes everyday is a struggle for me. I have to literally fight with myself to make the right choices. I am learning to become selfish, though. Not in a bad way. Just when it comes to eating. NO ONE will make my emotions flit about so much that I run to food. NO ONE is worth it. But I am worth making the right decisions so I can reach my goal.

You need to find a way to minimize your emotional triggers. I know - easier said than done. That's why it's a daily struggle for me.

YOu haven't been back to reply yet about walking, but if you can do some walking, I would highly suggest Leslie Sansone's in-home walking videos. They can be a God-send. :)

Akec
12-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I HATE, I mean hate, keeping a food journal. It's harder than avoiding Taco Bell and that's hard lol. But if you don't, you'll just keep going "off" and "on" a "diet" and that doesn't work, you know that. Eat it, write it down, note how you were feeling in that moment. Don't punish yourself for it, just observe.

I share my FitDay journal with a group of close friends. Talk about being super aware of what you're doing! lol

I am also a compulsive, mindless eater. Just a couple of ideas for you based on my personal experience:

-- Eat! I am honestly more concerned about the days when you're not eating than the ones where you overeat. (No wonder you/we overeat the next day!) Eat a GOOD breakfast, don't skip meals, eat snacks every couple of hours. Don't wait until you're starved to eat, you'll just make bad choices. The act of eating doesn't make you fat, everybody must eat. Starving-then-binging does because it messes up your metabolism and good.

-- Don't punish yourself for slip-ups. JUST observe them. But set small, achievable goals. If you start feeling defeated again, set them smaller. "I will lose 35 pounds by February" isn't a very good goal. "I will eat breakfast every day this week" is better.

-- It really isn't more expensive to eat healthy. More inconvenient, more planning, more preparation -- yes. I didn't believe this one at first but it can be done. Just wondering (I'm new, sorry) - do you live at home? Or do you buy your own groceries? I am sure you get get help here as to how to buy and choose food without breaking the bank.

Just a couple more thoughts -- next time you're at your doctor's, ask them about what physical activities would be safe for you. Non-impact cardiovascular activities MUST be possible, there are people in wheelchairs that participate in marathon races and they are superfit! Imagine the bravery of the first dude who ever dreamed up such a thing -- (s)he didn't take no for an answer, and how proud (s)he must feel. Overcoming obstacles just makes success all the more sweet. Honey, you can be fit. Believe it to your core because it's true! You're here, you're breathing, you can move (even if you don't use your legs!), so it's possible. I think there would be a whole lot of cheerleaders here on this forum, you just take the first step. :)

You're right -- it IS hard, if it weren't, everybody would be thin and fit, and Oprah would have bought it, right? But you CAN do it. :carrot:

Ellen
12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Why not join us over on the Dieting with Diabetes area? (its under Dieting with Obstacles). There are other Type 1 diabetics who understand well what you are going through with diet, and can encourage you with the exercise. It sure has been an encouragement to me.

SteveYu
12-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Start thinking more positively - don't focus on your past struggles. This is a new year and it is your chance to CHANGE EVERYTHING. We are all mindless eaters by habit I think, so you have to really look at the circumstances surrounding your eating habits, instead of getting frustrated by them.

For example, if you have not planned out what you are going to eat for the day, then you will be left to face your environment and situations that occur throughout the day -- which often lead to mindless and random eating patterns. On bad days, really think about all the things that lead to your bad eating, what you can do differently to prevent the same thing from happening. Often you'll find that you skipped breakfast or something, which ended up making you so hungry you ate everything in sight (just an example).

While it sounds like a big change to have an eating plan before the day begins, it isn't. Your mind just plays tricks on you, making you think you can't do it. YOU CAN. And if you really want to lose the weight, it should become easy...and eventually it will become habit. Just try.

That doesn't always mean that you have to plan out every single meal out in advance, but it does mean that with a plan, you are in control. You have the options you have thought through ahead of time, so there is less random behavior. You eat when you are supposed to, and it helps manage your hunger...it works!

I know, sounds too good to be true, because it isn't THAT easy. It takes the true desire to achieve your ultimate goal, something that really is exciting for you. The uncertainty of whether it is worth it will be a tough obstacle, but the people here should give you the strength and faith that you can totally be at your goal by March or April.

Keep your chin up and get excited about what 2007 will bring!

tweetyandme
12-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Ladies, thank you for your posts, and words of encouragement, they were much needed! I apologize for not getting back with ya'll sooner, the day after Christmas i was in the process of moving out of state. It has been very stressful. To answer some of your questions. i moved in with my mother and her boyfriend, so i am not the buyer of the food. We don't have much money, so we try to get the most for a buck, which isn't the healthiest food. It usuialy is potato chips, snack cakes, and sodas(of course my soads are diet because of my diabetes.) I can't go to the mall to walk around or the YMCA because where i have moved is in the middle of nowhere. It takes 30 minutes just to get to the nearest gas station! I don't drive, and my mom works from 4Am, to 8PM, so there goes my ride ANYWHERE. I guess i could do some walking, but the ground out here is so uneven and covered in fallen trees, and other things the would just make my leg injuries worse. I know it sounds like i am making excuses. I am trying to eat foods that will fill me up, but wont effect my weight much such as pickles, and tuna fish. I do slip up, like the night i moved in here, i had a whole bag of Doritos! I felt so bad when i was done, so much so that the empty bag haunted me in my dreams!
Added stress on me is that i miss my younger sister, my brother and my father. I don't feel comfortable here, and i see that i am turning to food to calm me down. I am going to refocus that comfort on my writing so that i can soon get my story published!
As for the weight, i think i am back up in the 170's! I should update that ASAP.
Thank you to all who posted!

JayEll
12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
tweetyandme, it sounds like you are definitely in a tough place. Many obstacles. You make it sound impossible! But there is always a way, and you have to find it. There must be a road or driveway leading to your house that you could walk along, so you don't have to deal with fallen trees. I mean, that's kind of unreal! And even though you don't shop for the food, surely you can request some things. Potato chips, snack cakes, and sodas are no one's idea of good nutrition, and they aren't that cheap a way to eat, either. The cheapest way to eat is to buy fresh vegetables, and they are actually good to eat. I can't imagine what your mom does that she works from 4 am to 8 pm, but maybe you could take over some of the cooking to help her (and yourself!). Talk it over with her. I'm sure she would welcome some help and would want to help you as well.

I'm sure wishing you well with all my heart, and I'm hoping you can make some changes in your situation to get where you want to go!

Please keep us posted!

Jay

Akec
12-29-2006, 09:55 AM
To answer some of your questions. i moved in with my mother and her boyfriend, so i am not the buyer of the food. We don't have much money, so we try to get the most for a buck, which isn't the healthiest food. It usuialy is potato chips, snack cakes, and sodas(of course my soads are diet because of my diabetes.)

Soda has absolutely zero nutritional value, a complete waste of money (no judgement there, I could be driving a mercedes by now if I had saved all the money I've spent). Chips and other prepackaged junk foods really are an incredibly expensive way to eat, I like Jay's advice about helping out with the cooking. A little planning and budgeting and you'd be surprised how much money you can save and how much better you can eat by getting rid of the junk in the house.

I keep a ton of fresh veggies on hand, and always egg beaters as well (you can put cartons in the freezer so you don't run out) -- every left over piece of meat or cheese or veggie pretty much turns into an omelet or big salad for me. I also use a crock pot quite a bit and just create soups and casseroles out of whatever's in the fridge.

Making sure you have strategies to eat all the fresh food you buy rather than waste it saves you a ton of money. One reason why there is a perception that all that prepackaged crap is cheaper is that it has a longer shelf life.

My grandparents raised 15 children and didn't have much money, my grandfather was a janitor. I was always shocked, I'd look in their fridge and all through their cupboards and see "nothing to eat." Then my grandmother would whip up a fantastic meal out of not sure what, or how she did it. She was the queen of the "hot dish" and could make a meal out of just about anything. They bought generic brands of certain foods, look on the "bottom shelf" for things like cereals and so forth.

Things like whole grain bread (it can be frozen too so you always have some on hand), whole grain pasta, brown rice, natural peanut butter, canned tuna and chicken, cereal, oatmeal, meal replacement bars, etc. can all live in your house for a long time. By creating a shopping list of 'staples' to keep on hand and a variety of meals that can be made with those, it can be done.

As for the walking around thing -- sometimes I just dance in place. lol I must look like a real crazy person but if nobody's watching, who cares? I actually can work up quite a good sweat with just me and some good tunes. Getting movement into your day will help you to manage your stress, you will find a way.

By the way you sound great for somebody that's going through so much, hang in there!! (((hugs)))

nelie
12-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I would agree with Akec in that eating junk food and sodas is a very expensive way to eat! For the price of a bag of doritos (that you mentioned), you could have an entire well balanced meal. I calculated the costs recently of each of DH's and my meals and each of them came under $2. I understand you are living in someone else's household and if they just buy junk and eat junk, it is difficult. You may need to figure a way to buy your own groceries and/or grown your own food. Are you working? Going to school? If you are going to school, maybe you could get a part time job. I understand transportation is limited but I figure if you are going to school, maybe they could use someone at the school part time? Who knows.

MissH
12-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Canned beans are actually pretty cheap. And brown rice, too. Not the precooked kind.

Saoirsee
12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Girl, i am *right there* with you. Listen. You CAN do this. okay? Deep breath.

I'll give you a little background on me. In December of '03 i agreed to budy-up with my MIL (mother-in-law) and lose weight with her. By April i'd lost over 50 pounds. But then i plateaued for a really long time. It was discouraging as MIL kept losing weight.

Finally, due to a few other symptoms (i was gagging all the time, and i'd never gagged before!) i took a pregnancy test in June, and learned that i was already 18 weeks pregnant! So losing weight did great things for me, it gave me regular cycles, and within that first regular cycle hubby and i got pregnant!

During my pregnancy i managed to maintain a steady weight, and even lost a total of 5 pounds by the end. I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy, and this was expected as all the female members of my family had gesstational diabetes with at least one, if not more of their children, and have all subsequently developed late onset diabetes. So here is where i tell you i do know what it's like to have the restricted diabetic diet and lifestyle.

once i gave birth to my son i lost about 27 pounds instantly. It was awesome lol. After i had my son i continued to eat well, drink my water, and i didn't even do lots of exercising, and i got down to nearly 100 pounds lost.

During all of this, my husband decided he would prefer to screw a teenager, and my life basically fell apart. I was a thousand miles away from any family, and had a newborn all alone. I was finally forced to move back to my hometown, and move myself and my son in with my parents (and 4 younger brothers) because the electricity, water, and gas had been shut off at my house due to my husband's squandering all our money on his tramp, and i had hospital bills and other bills to pay that i couldn't afford, even though i was working 2 jobs and cleaning on the weekends.

All of a sudden i had no control over what foods were around me. Sure every once in a while i could request something, but not all the time. When you are raising 4 teenage boys, convience is the word of the day. My parents both have full time jobs, in fact my Da is a police officer, so he's constantly out on call. Fast, simple, and starchy/sugary/greasy foods are the norm at my house. It's nearly impossible to eat healthy there! And with everything else going on in my life, i completely lost touch with my healthy side, and have currently ballooned back up to 245 pounds. It's depressing, and frustrating.

As for the exercise end of things, i also have leg problems, as my knees and ankles 'spontaneously collapse' (it's hereditary) for no reason, and with no warning. The cartiledge in my right knee is basically non existant, and i have sever arthritis in most of my joints. I totally understand how hard it is to get exercise in! Plus, having a 2 year old makes going to the gym whenever i want nearly impossible as well. Even going out for a walk (i live in Canada) is a huge production and makes me tired just thinking about it LOL.

BUT, i write this huge novel to you to say, i've learned some things.

Myself: I'm actually stronger than i ever thought possible. Okay, sure i stuck around for 8 months after my husband screwed up royally. That was stupid, but i DID get out. I DID leave. I took my son and did what was best for him. So, this new lifestyle is going to be tough. Much harder than i ever imagined. But? I know i can do it. If i could escape the abuse from my husband, whom i trusted and loved and promised to be with forever, then i can choose to drink a little extra water, and find a healthier alternative to deep fried chicken and french fries.

Food: Little things make a difference. i made shake-and-bake chicken for the family, instead of their usual deep fried nasty stuff, and they really really enjoyed it! Mostly seasoning with a little bit of breadcrumbs (very little!) and it was delicious! The only vegetables bought in the house were for hamburger fixings (heads of lettuce, large tomatoes, etc.) but i actually made a salad from the lettuce, tomatoes and drained frozen corn/peas and it went over great! It wasn't gourmet, but it was a start! Instead of just asking for the things i knew i would like to have for me, i started asking for larger amounts of one thing that i knew was healthy, and prepared it in a way that i knew my brothers would enjoy. Eventually, those things became staples in our house. Once in a while i would bake fresh bread, but it would be whole weat, or rye or etc. The freshness of the bread took away their fears of it not being pasty white, and they loved it too! Little by little i'm winning them over.

Also, once you've got healthier options around you to choose from, remember that eating food is actually a good thing! honest. It's how your body survives, without it, you wouldn't be here. So obviously it's a good thing! Eating lots isn't all bad either, just make sure you're eating lots of the right thing! Compulsive eating is something that takes a long time to get control of. So in the meantime, try not to freak out about the fact that you've eaten such a large amount of food, but focus more on the fact that those foods were all good for you, and eventually the amount will decrease with time and practice. Also, it's actually a good thing to eat many small meals a day. In fact it's important that you don't eat lots one day, and nothing the next day. All that's going to do is mess up your body even more, because it will constantly be afraid of the next 'starvation' mode, and store everything you eat, healthy or not, as fat. So don't freak out because you had a bad day and ate a lot, and think it makes up for it by not eating the next day. And remember that even without exercise or a change in diet, water is your friend! It'll do wonders for you.

Exercise: I suggest a barttering system. Do extra housework around your home (deep cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, sorting through a closet, laundry. whatever!) and in return, they buy some healthy foods and snacks for you, or agree to buy less junk food in general, so you don't have the temptations around you. This way you're helping out, and your Mom and her boyfriend appreciate it, you get some healthy snacks and a little control over the foods you are exposed to, AND you'll get in that excercise you've been wanting!

Also, i agree with the water aerobics suggestion. Great idea. Stationary bike is also a good one. Even using an eliptical machine where there is less impact on your joints might help. You know, walking over and around trees could actually get your heart rate up, no matter how slow you move, and be a really good source of excercise, and probably a lot more fun than just walking down the street even! :)

Finally, just take it one day at a time. Take it one meal, one hour, one minute at a time. You can do this, and there are great people on this site who are willing to hold you up, and help you through this.

I know this was crazy long, but i also know how hard it is to get motivated. You can do this! I know you can!

(And? I would KILL to weigh as little as you do!!! ;) )

Sandy00
12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I exercise to be healthy and to have the body that I want.

I am tired of looking for clothes that will fit me, it will be so good to look at clothes and say "oh, wow that looks great and I can fit it."

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar009/fireworks01/lb/180/130/179.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Akec
12-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Saoirsee, fantastic advice. I just wanted you to know that your story made me tear up a little. It inspires me to know end to hear that you faced adversity with your head held up high and fought so hard to take good care of yourself and take control of the situation in creative ways. I am sure it was not as easy as you made it sound, but Bravo!!!! for making it to the other side in style.

tweetyandme
12-30-2006, 04:52 AM
WOW i am shocked that everyone has been so nice to me. I wish i could get that from my family. :) I am going to talk to mom and see if we can shop a lot better. I think i'll also throw in a guilt about how she needs to eat heathier of she wont be around long enough to see any grandchildren.(That should motivate her!) I am going to take all of the advice everyone has given me. I will dance to music(of course to my fav. kind classic rock!), and i will walk the driveway. I'm sure cleaning burns calories. :)

Nelie, i do not go to school, i got my G.E.D. about a year ago, even though i am only 17 now. I do work from home doing an online family business, which takes up a good amount of my time.

I already do cook practicaly every meal for my mom and her boyfriend. As for the junk food they buy being too expensive, they go for the genaric brands like 2 for $1.00 sodas, and a $1.00 box of 12 count sweet cakes. But everyone is right, it isn't too expensive to buy some raw vegetables! I actually love eating healthy! I don't feel like i'm giving anything up on taste, and the satisfaction of knowing i've made the correct choice on healthy foods is so self-rewarding!

Saoirsee, thank you very much for sharing your personal story. It is really motivating!

JayE, you are right, i do make it seem impossible, but that is only because i just see all of my new problems so hard to overcome! I wish i could just have a positive outcome about everything, but there seems to be no light shinning at the end of my tunnel. The winter season has seemed to have me quite down, plus most people trying to lose weight on here do not have all of the silly things wrong that i do(not saying that my problems are worse then anyone elses.) I just seems that when i solve one problem, 2 or 3 more pop up in their place!

I have thought about taking a weightloss pill, but i can't have them because of the stimilants(i have previous nerve damage from them, and from overdosing too many times on caffine pills), and the non-stimulant ones don't seem to work.

Akec, thank you for the hug and encouragement!

JayE, thank you for wishing me well with all of your heart.

You ladies are very kind and your friends are very lucky to you as friends!!! :) If it is posible i would like to keep in touch with the ones who would like to. :)

Saoirsee
12-30-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm glad you got some encouragement, from all of us. Just know that you have someone to back you up, and you can do this!

I'm glad to hear you've got a game plan. :) Now go put it into action (even baby steps are an improvement!) And let us know how it goes, so we can keep encouraging you. :)

(And,.. even if things don't go so well, and you backtrack a bit, we're here for that too. let us know *everything* ok?)

Hugs chicka.

Saoirsee
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Saoirsee, fantastic advice. I just wanted you to know that your story made me tear up a little. It inspires me to know end to hear that you faced adversity with your head held up high and fought so hard to take good care of yourself and take control of the situation in creative ways. I am sure it was not as easy as you made it sound, but Bravo!!!! for making it to the other side in style.

Wow, thank you so much. I don't even know if i'm at the point where i even see myself as inspiration worthy, but i do know that i've made it through so far. And, yeah, when i look back? It was some pretty heavy stuff. And it still is. Because living in a 4 bedroom house with 7 other people is a test to anyone's sanity! :dizzy: lol

But i appreciate your support. It was a really long, hard road, and i know it's not over yet (especially since i still have a hundred pounds to lose, never mind a dead-weight to cut from my life! ) but i'm learning that with a little support from others, i can do most anything. :)

Thanks again. :hug:

tweetyandme
01-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Well i am a little depressed now. I over ate AGAIN yesterday! :( I wish i could stop. Maybe today i'll be better at not doing that! Happy New Year everyone!

AquaWarlock
01-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Don't fret over it, that was '06 -- this is '07. Every new day brings forth an opportunity for change.

For the future, give yourself a little feedback after every few bites -- are you still hungry? (most times, you don't need to eat until you 'feel full' but just 'not hungry anymore') Or alternatively, "did I satisfy my craving?" (when you wanna dive into something indulgent) ~ if no, take a few more bites and ask again -- if yes, then stop, even if it means not finishing your food--much easier to empty that plate into the trash (or put it away for the future) than it is to empty it outta your body. ;)

MissH
01-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Well i am a little depressed now. I over ate AGAIN yesterday! :( I wish i could stop. Maybe today i'll be better at not doing that! Happy New Year everyone!
:hug:

Every time you fall, get right back up and KEEP GOING! :)

Saoirsee
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Little by little! Don't freak out because of one bad day. Just make tomorrow better. It's been a few days since i've seen you post, how are you doing? Hugs to you dear one.

tweetyandme
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Little by little! Don't freak out because of one bad day. Just make tomorrow better. It's been a few days since i've seen you post, how are you doing? Hugs to you dear one.

Awwwwe! Thanks for the hugs!!!!!!! They made my day! I'm doing okay, and you?

Saoirsee
01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I dunno. I'll admit i'm pretty discouraged. I'm not letting that stop me from my better diet choices and stuff, but, it makes it harder to do the exercising when after so much time i see little to no improvement.

It's probably just the end of a long work week, and after a re-charge this weekend i'll be up again. :)

Just remember, a step at a time. You can do this! We can do this!

boaterswife
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Krissie, you've gotten so much wonderful advice already, but I do have just a couple things I'd like to add!

1. make a promise to yourself to write down what you're eating BEFORE you put it in your mouth. It truly does make you stop and think about it! If you write down 2 cookies, then take 2 cookies out of the package and put the rest away!

2. I can't imagine what you're going through with your legs! Try a couple of these things: Get up and do something during commercial breaks on tv....arm rolls, etc. Do leg lifts while you're sitting down! Use canned goods as weights.....every little bit of movement helps more than you know!

3. Know that we are here. This is the best place to come when you need support! Even those of us who are not in your situation face a lack of support at home and with friends.....many people just do not understand. The people here know what you're talking about, and do understand, and are always here for you!!

Good luck!

tweetyandme
01-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Okay, i can't do this anymore. I look like i've gained 20lbs overnight!!!!!!! I didn't even eat anything last night!!!!!!!

Mami
01-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Tweety: you sound like you're all over the place mamita. You need to take a more scientific approach to this: log every single thing you eat in fitday; log your exercise in there; and track your weight every day. Do the calorie deficit calculation (what you ate minus what you burned) and see what's happening. The daily ups and downs are not important, its what happens overtime that let's you know whether you're doing the right thing or just fooling yourself (e.g. by not admitting how many calories you're eating or making excuses about exercising). I just posted that I ate 2504 calories yesterday. I'm not even upset though because it was all healthy food (though calories are still calories so I'm not fooling myself) and I AM getting back OP today..because failure is not an option..I WILL be looking the way I want this coming summer!

aphil
01-11-2007, 07:44 AM
I limit my food intake at first, but then when the day is over, i have had more food then i had wanted to have. I am a compulsive eater.

I am a type-1 diabetic, so i rarely eat any sugar, and i have a limited amount of carbs.

The best advice I have here, is to PLAN. I am a compulsive overeater-binger as well, and I am a gestational diabetic...so I have some similar issues. If you start out okay at the beginning of the day, but have had too much by the end of it-you need to make a "plan" for yourself. Basically, if you eat 1500 calories a day, or are AIMING to, then you need to break that down. Do you follow the diabetic diet meal plan? If not, then you NEED to be. This is of UTMOST importance. I cannot stress this enough.
Honestly, your binge eating equating to gained weight isn't your biggest problem right now. Your binge eating, and being a diabetic IS.
Basically-you need to stop thinking about gaining and losing a few pounds...and start thinking about your health, and why you need to stick with your diet and exercise. Do it for a longer life. Not exercising, and not sticking with a diet plan is very dangerous for a diabetic. When blood sugar levels get too high, or too low, and this happens too often-your entire body is stressed. Add that with no exercise, and you are setting yourself up for heart problems, circulatory problems...the list goes on...and they end up being fatal. My diabetic aunt passed away in her forties because of this same issue.
I don't want to scare you here...that is not my intent-but I want to make you aware that having a toned butt isn't the only prize. You need to take care of yourself for more important reasons.

There is an eating disorder area here at 3FC (binging is an eating disorder!) and also a dieting with Obstacles section, which has a diabetic section. Please visit both-lots of support there! :)

I'll admit that i don't exercise the way i should. I have many permanantly broken bones in my right lower leg, and the bones in my left leg are not structured correctly. I have been to the doctor, and multiple surgeries are needed to fix my problems, so that eliminates me from doing much running/jogging exercises, and i need to do some fat burning exercises before i do tone up exercises.

This doesn't have to be an issue. Also, it is a myth that you need to "lose fat" and then tone muscle later. For best results-do both now, and always. Why wait until you are thinner to tone up? Do it now, and when you reach your goal weight-the muscle tone will already be there.

Go to Collage Video's website-they have some specialty videos-strength training and other exercise videos you can do while sitting in a chair. This might be exactly what you need. Also, Margaret Richard has a video that she filmed (she is a long time strength training instructor at www.bodyelectric.net) while she had one foot in a cast. It was a specialty video she made to show you can still exercise with an injury! You might do very well with something like this.

Good luck...you are not alone!

JayEll
01-11-2007, 08:00 AM
So, first of all, what do you weigh today, really?

Second of all, when you say you didn't eat anything last night, do you mean snacking after dinner/supper? Or do you mean you skipped dinner?

Third of all, what would happen if you just give up and forget the whole thing?

If you're looking for reasons not to follow a weight loss plan--well, you don't need reasons! Just don't do it! It's that simple. But, the laws of physics aren't magically going to change because it's too hard and you give up.

Many good suggestions have been provided to you here! I hope you can follow some of them! Don't give up!

Jay

chick_in_the_hat
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Think of it this way....if you give up is there any chance you will achieve your goals? If you don't give up there are no guarantees...but I'm willing to bet your chances are better.

:goodluck:

AuthorBunni
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Tweety,

I just read this first post and WOW to lose 21 lbs. There is much more for me to lose and I really commend your courage and honesty. I hope since this first post that life is better for you.

AB

simone1ca
01-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Go to Collage Video's website-they have some specialty videos-strength training and other exercise videos you can do while sitting in a chair.

I put in an order for a chair aerobics DVD from Collage late last week. I'm SO looking forward to getting it. It seems like a good option for me because I can't walk without a cane and thus, it's hard to exercise.

The great thing with Collage's website is..you can preview the DVDs/videos before buying them!

I'd recommend them.

I know it's so easy to get discouraged, especially when you have obstacles in your way. But making an effort to get the weight off is the best thing you can do for yourself -- for your health. Planning is key. I know I have to plan everything...what I eat, when, my snacks, my exercises..everything. I even plan out my water intake. I can get off track so easily and then I'm right back where I started.

Good luck :hug:

choirgirlhotel
01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Okay, i can't do this anymore. I look like i've gained 20lbs overnight!!!!!!! I didn't even eat anything last night!!!!!!!

Oh for heaven's sake. 20 lb overnight? You are obsessing. First of all, so many people have given you encouraging awesome advice and tips and hints, so you should print them out and study them.

So now I'm going to give mine, but it's not going to be all flowery.

You make too many excuses. Stop it. You are diabetic, and overweight. If you don't want to die or be overweight for the rest of your life, then you need to change things.

Don't obsess all day about things, don't even really THINK about things. Just eat when you are hungry, eat well, and don't eat junk. DO NOT drink pop of any kind - especially diet. That stuff is gross, makes you feel bloated and gross and thirsty, and the aspartame in it has actually been shown to CAUSE weight gain (not to mention it gave me bad gas, and when I stopped it I had heart palpitations!). And - just to remind you, water is free.

You cook, therefore, you have a lot of control. If your mom and her boyfriend don't like certain things, you will have to make separate meals for them and yourself.

As for the "uneven ground outside", don't be silly and just walk outside. Your bones will actually THANK you for exercise instead of letting them be all stiff and sore sitting around all day.

I know it's hard, but just think, you have no choice. Don't make a big production out of it.

I know I'm being no nonsense here, but you are only 17. You have your whole life ahead of you. I wasted the last half of my 20s feeling crappy about myself, and gaining weight, gaining stretch marks BECAUSE of that gained weight and now I am very sorry that I did that, and also wasted so many years.

You have the chance now. You did it before, you can do it again. :hug:

tweetyandme
01-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll try not to obsess too much. I'm having boiled chicken breats for dinner.....is that unhealthy for you?

tweetyandme
01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
So, first of all, what do you weigh today, really?

I weigh 162lbs............that's 3 pounds gained. I just updated my profile and signature.

JayEll
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey. I would LOVE it if I weighed 162 right now! I still have a ways to go on that. But I know I won't get there by giving up.

Look at all the weight you've lost! Wow, you are a success, tweetyandme. I know you're having a rough time, but please don't give up. You have made yourself so much more healthy by losing that much weight. You really have! I know you can find a way--you are not the kind of person who gives in easily, I just know this is true because you are facing so much adversity!

Keep on! We're rooting for you!

Jay

choirgirlhotel
01-12-2007, 01:54 AM
I weigh 162lbs............that's 3 pounds gained. I just updated my profile and signature.

162!!! that is GREAT! you are halfway there - there is NO WAY you can give up now.

And yes, chicken breasts are awesome for you. Good girl! Add some veggies and maybe a yam or sweet potato and you have a perfect meal!

i find white potatoes just make me hungrier.