Weight Loss Support - Fitday

View Full Version : Fitday

WaterBottleBeauty
12-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Decided to start using FitDay again. For those who use it, how do you keep yourself motivated to update every day?

AnAbsoluteDiva
12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't think this requires motivation. Just plain ol' discipline. Kinda like brushing your teeth or showering.

TempleBody
12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I keep a short cut to it on mydesk top. :)

Tara D
12-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I find it fun, so I actually look forward to it. I learn a lot about food and nutrition, and it's interesting to look back at trends.

sotypical
12-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Motivated to use Fit Day? I have 35 more pounds till goal... thats all the movitvation I need. I wouldn't lose weight without - simple as that. Sure it takes 10 mintues out of my day, but its been worth it.

Sunderella
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I love Fitday!! I did the buy version ( suggested by my nutrionist) I swear having to take a weekly report in is keeping me honest!

I find it does really help me plan meals and snacks, I would be so lost without it. I have never journaled my food before and it is one of the biggest helps so far, and it made me realize how bad I had been eating.

It's worth your time :)

JayEll
12-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm on the computer a lot, so it's easy for me to update it every time I eat something or get through exercise.

I agree that it really helps as a reality check. I had lunch out today with friends, and when I entered what I ate, it added up to 762 cals! :o Well, that's a lot more than I usually eat for a meal, but because I knew that, I was able to adjust what I ate later, and how much exercise I did. So, I am still well within my restriction amount for the day. :carrot:

Jay
198/180/155

mandalinn82
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree - its discipline, not motivation for me.

ennay
12-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I cant do anything else on the computer until I update my fitday...so I cant cruise the boards until I do!

MissH
12-23-2006, 12:08 AM
IMO, journaling your food with a plain old notebook is far easier than Fitday. I find Fitday's calories off quite a bit. And too often they don't have the food I eat listed. I found that having to enter in all the nutrition info manually would probably make me postal.

Get a notebook and make four columns. Cal., Carbs, Prot., & Fat. Add them up at the end of the day.

sotypical
12-23-2006, 02:58 AM
IMO, journaling your food with a plain old notebook is far easier than Fitday. I find Fitday's calories off quite a bit. And too often they don't have the food I eat listed. I found that having to enter in all the nutrition info manually would probably make me postal.

The custom food collum works great. And look at it this way, once you enter its always there. Seeing as I eat a lot of the same food this works great for me. Why write down the same thing over and over and over, when it adds everything up for you with a click of a button. I have been using fit day for 10 months now, I enter about 3 custom foods a month now. I also just adjust, if I know the begal I ate was 190 cals and fit day is showing as 210, I make it a little less then one serving so it says 190.

I tried the note book things many time, and I never did it cuz it took way too long, plus I always have to have the package in front of me - when I use fitday its all right there, no hunting for the package and digging thru the garabge if I already thru it away, plus it takes half the time.

MissH
12-23-2006, 03:39 AM
The custom food collum works great. And look at it this way, once you enter its always there. Seeing as I eat a lot of the same food this works great for me. Why write down the same thing over and over and over, when it adds everything up for you with a click of a button. I have been using fit day for 10 months now, I enter about 3 custom foods a month now. I also just adjust, if I know the begal I ate was 190 cals and fit day is showing as 210, I make it a little less then one serving so it says 190.

I tried the note book things many time, and I never did it cuz it took way too long, plus I always have to have the package in front of me - when I use fitday its all right there, no hunting for the package and digging thru the garabge if I already thru it away, plus it takes half the time.
That's true to a point. Maybe it depends on what a person gets used to. :)

rockinrobin
12-23-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't use Fitday everyday. I too, eat very similiar foods everyday and therefore I know exactly how many calories I'm consuming. Especially during the week, it's the same breakfast, same 2 snacks, one of 3 or 4 lunches, and one of several dinners. I already know exacty how many calories I'm eating. So that's when I don't bother with Fitday. I definitely at this point have a mental Fitday in my head. I find it more helpful for the weekends and other times when my food intake varies and I'm having something that I don't normally eat. That's when I use it the most.

Experiment and find what works best for you.

WaterBottleBeauty
12-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the tips. The main thing which always gets me is, because I'm in the UK, I struggle to find a lot of the brandname stuff we have over here. Which means always going to custom foods/estimating if I don't even get the chance to see the packaging!

ennay
12-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Its a pain in the beginning until you get a chance to get your custom foods set up, but after awhile you have 90% of your food in there.

I will say the download paid version is much easier for custom foods and if you cook a lot.

ennay
12-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I will say that one of the things I do that makes fitday A LOT easier but its not for the ummmm...anal types.

I have several common foods in my custom foods that I use whether or not that is precisely what I ate.

Like salad. I have a salad that is a combo of the most common salad ingredients I use. Lettuce, cuke, carrot, red bell pepper, tomato. And dressing. I have about 4 lowcal dressings in my fridge and I typically use ~1T, but my fitday salad specifies 2T of the highest calorie dressing.

So regardless if I have a salad with all the above and light ranch or a salad with just cucumber and light vinaigrette, its "salad with dressing" in fitday for me. If I add a high caloric topping like cheese, beans etc, then I add it separately

Same with stir-fry. I stir-fry veggies at least 2-3 times a week different combinations of non-starchy veggies. I made a "typical" stir-fry and that is what I use to record.

I am much more precise on higher calorie stuff

SmartButt
12-23-2006, 11:28 PM
When adding custom foods, I have come across the "that isn't right! those calories can't come from what you specified!" warning, and it doesn't seem to let me add it as is, even though I'm putting down EXACTLY what is on the nutritional info on the package of what I'm eating.

I've learned just to keep upping the carbs/fat a little until it lets me add it using the calories it claims to have, even though it's not a 100% true reflection of the label anymore.

So yes I agree, it isn't good if you want to account for every gram of this or that. Just a good general data-collection. I find it fun as well. :)

Tealeaf
12-24-2006, 09:08 AM
I stopped journaling my food a long time ago. I used it as a tool to learn how much I should be eating in a day, then stopped when I felt that I had acheived that. I'm working hard at building a way of life that I can maintain for the rest of my life so I never regain the weight. I don't want to journal for the rest of my life, so I stopped as soon as I felt I safely could.

I understand that many people find it a useful tool. I certainly did when I was relearning what to eat, and how much. I just wanted to submit that one doesn't neccessarily have to journal food intake to lose weight.

jillybean720
12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Count me in as a Fitday-a-holic! I use it more for planning than for tracking. I find that if I sit down first thing in the morning (or even the night before) and enter everything I plan on eating the next day, I am more likely to stick to it because I know if I eat anything differently, I'll have to go back and update it in my Fitday.

One thing I LOVE about the free version rather than the paid version is that I can access it from ANY computer. I update my Fitday whenever I need to from home, from work, from my sister's house, from just about anywhere!

I also do a lot of custom foods. If it's something I know I probably won't have very often, then like someone else mentioned, I'll use whatever Fitday has in there for that item and then just adjust the serving size until it matches the calories on the package.

Just as a note, the reason the numbers don't always add up correctly and we get the error (the one about how something must be off because that number of fat/protein/carbs does not add up to those calories) is because it is okay according ot the FDA for food manufacturers to round their numbers (i.e., if there is less than .5g trans fat, the label can say 0, etc. This is why cooking sprays like Pam say 0 calories even though the main ingredient is oil, which, of course, DOES have calories--if it has less than 5 calories per serving, they can say 0, and they can adjust the serving size to make it work out that way), so what you see on the label is often actually not 100% accurate anyway.

ennay
12-26-2006, 01:05 PM
the other thing I do if its a food I know I wont have often (and there is nothing in fitday for it or fitday is way off is I have a custom food called "fat", one called "carb" and one called "protein" then I just enter that I ate the number of grams of each listed on the label