General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Rude neighbor blocks driveway

I am so frustrated at this point. A new neighbor moved in and immediately began parking across part of our driveway. This was several months ago. I left a nice note on her windshield with a smiley face and everything. Saw her a bit later and she apologized. Next thing we know, her mother (which we didn't know it was her mother) totally blocked the driveway. We left another nice note and got a written response through the door next morning. Their response? Her son was ill and we should have come and asked them to move. It let up for awhile but every day now she has been squeezing her car in and going over by at least a foot into our drive. Ostensibly, we could maneuver around her to get out but it's a busy road and hard enough to get out safely at times. Plus, if someone parks right at the edge (perfectly fine and legal) on the other side then we have NO room for error if we can even manage to squeeze out.

I just confronted her in person as she was getting out of her car, parked a good 18 inches over the line. She said would I stand there and watch her back up? There was maybe 6 inches of room between her and the car behind her!! I told her that wasn't sufficient and please stop blocking our drive and then she said it's so hard because "i'm on my own with my little boy". OH PUHLEEZE! Like she can't walk a few feet down the road? And then she said you can always come and get me if you have to go somewhere!!! I just said that's not exactly convenient and I'll let it go tonight but from now on she had to stop or I'll phone the police. I hated to use that threat as I would really prefer to resolve this amicably but nothing on earth seems to be making an impression.

Am I overreacting? I have tried so hard to be nice. Probably too nice, apparently.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

No - you are definitely not overreacting. What if you have an emergency and need to get out of your driveway? Your neighbor can't expect you come ask her every time you need to go somewhere. That is ridiculous.

I would check with your town/city and see if there is a law regarding how far away from a driveway someone is required to park and then inform your neighbor of the law. If she continues to block your driveway then I don’t think you have a choice but to call the police to ticket her.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Didn't you say something about having to go out at about 10PM?

I know you didn't. But sometimes you have to come down to some people's level to get them to understand. It's just her and her little boy? For crying out loud! How many people on this board have more than 1 child and happens to be a single parent? I had 2 kids when my husband died. I didn't think I had the right to encroach on other people's property.

IA You may have to call the police.

Oh, one question. Are you renting or is she or do you both own where you live? If you are renting, complain to the landlord.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Rude people are so irritating. This is probably a bad time for this topic to come up, as I literally was tempted (not really, but man, it might have felt good) to key the car of the woman taking up three (count them - three!) parking spots in front of Starbucks this morning. Of course, I hadn't had my coffee yet...but if people can't show some courtesy for others in the middle of the holiday rush and all the related stress and parking difficulties I have very little compassion.

Look, you've asked her nicely. Twice. You've spoken to her about it in person, and the behavior has not changed. Now is the time to say to her "look, I really hate to do this, but I need you to stop parking blocking my driveway. If there was an emergency, I would not be able to get out, and that is unsafe and unfair. If it happens again, I will have to escalate the situation to the police, because I cannot allow this unsafe situation to continue". which is precisely what you did. So I say...good for you!

Now she may not be your best friend after this. But truthfully, who wants a neighborhood friend who has NO courtesy or respect for your property and safety? ESPECIALLY after you've already talked to her about it! Twice, even!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #5  

What's on the other side of where she parks that's causing her to have to sqeeze over so far to your side?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think you need to "need to go out" at 3 am everynight for awhile..see how convenient she finds it then to move her car
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

That's a good one ennay!

They say to always talk to your neighbors first but sometimes that just doesn't work. I think it's a no win situation because if you try to be nice they take advantage and then if you get angry with them then you've got an enemy. But what do you do? Ugh, I would take the suggestion of contacting the city because they do have ordinances about blocking someone's driveway. Maybe she will listen then.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Just let the air out of her tires every time she parks there
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Call the cops...a few parking tickets will teach her how to back up!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Just let the air out of her tires every time she parks there
But then she really wouldn't be able to get out.

Hmmm, didn't realize you had this mischievous side to you.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post

Hmmm, didn't realize you had this mischievous side to you.
OF COURSE YOU DID
Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 PM   #12  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I have the same problem with my upstairs neighbors. Tried the note thing, didn't work. Tried talking to them, didn't work. Tried talking to my landlord, didn't work. Our spots are put into our lease and they are clearly marked. They are off the street, which is a rarity in this area. The last time they parked in my spot, I parked immediately behind them so they couldn't get out without coming to get me. When they knocked on my door at 1am, I can't say that I was very pleasant, but it finally seemed to sink in. They haven't parked in my spot or blocking my spot since then.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #13  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

When it blocks your driveway, have it towed.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #14  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Don't know if you are a two car family or not, but even if only 1 car... park where she parks Make her butt park somewhere else for awhile.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:28 AM   #15  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

We own our home but the house next door has been converted to two flats and she rents the upstairs, I think. I guess she may own it, I'm not sure. We live on a fairly busy road of Victorian houses (as in built in Victorian era) so our front garden has been converted to parking. It's not what you would call a driveway by American standards, lol.

4myself, there's other cars parked there on the road and she'll just try to sqeeze in between that car and our driveway so she's right in front of her home.

It's not against the law in England to block someone's driveway!! They cannot block you IN but it's not against the law to block you OUT. Is that insane or what? And because she never comepletey obstructs us, just makes it very difficult and dangerous to maneuver out, the police would likely not do a thing about it. I did talk to an officer I ran into at the bakery to ask his opinion. He said wait til she's blocking us in and call the police and they, if not busy, would still have to come and talk to her even if they didn't ticket her. He figures even a visit from an officer would scare her enough to make her stop.

She has NOT done it again since I talked to her the other night so maybe it's finally sunk in. My next course of action will be to contact the local council about anti-social behavior if it does continue. They would send her a letter saying they got a complaint and can she please consider whether her actions are negatively affecting her neighbors and take steps to fix it. Not a legal action but just a way to make a point. Like I said, she's not done it since the other night so maybe this will all blow over.

What stinks is I actually feel mean about it! I am not a confrontational person and do not like having bad blood between myself and others. I'm really very nice but sometimes nice just doesn't get you very far, unfortunately.
Closed Thread