Support Groups - The 5% Club - How is everyone doing?

FitandFine
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
x

SAB 5%
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Juno ( & Shorty) and any other members from the past!

Glad to hear that your life sounds happy Juno :) A lot has gone on in mine the past year which have changed things up a bit and we are all getting into a new routine. My daughter is 19 and at college (but will be home Thurs) and then my boys will be 11 & 9. Busy and active would be our lifestyle. Both boys play travelling hockey, I'm active in their sport as a manager for both teams (considering running for the board) but am also in charge of the PTA at their school, and after 10 years - closed my daycare business and went back into the corporate world. So a lot of change for everyone just learning to juggle the schedule, keep things done, etc. I only work 5 minutes from home so that has been a salvation.

Bad news is - I sit a whole lot more than I ever did at daycare!!!! There is food everywhere here!!! I went out to lunch more in the past 6 months than in 10 years. So it was fine at first but now adding up and I can see my shape shifting just from that. I walk with my girlfriend and our new dog every morning from 5:40 a.m. (yes in the cold dark MN mornings) but it isn't enough and I have to get tough on sneaking the "real" exercise back in. I did it for a while but haven't gotten a schedule yet. I am thinking it will come together and one of my goals tonight is exercise first before dinner. The good thing is this company does promote fitness - they are starting a TaeBo class two days a week for 8 weeks after the New Year, we get incentives to log our exercise, they buy fruit as an alternative when they buy sweets, it is just following through on being good to yourself. I know over the next two weeks I can't do much in the way of change but just try to behave and maintain. We all have a WW coming in to work also as of the New Year and I think that will be good for keeping me on track. I need to lose some and do not do well if I have to be by others and not be successful :(

So my goal for two weeks is to try and get some small workout sessions in and make better choices even if it is just one meal. Today I had oatmeal and unsweetened applesauce. Lunch was catered but not fattening until the stupid strawberry cake thingie showed up.........

Hope everyone is doing well and that you find time to post!

FitandFine
12-20-2006, 12:44 PM
x

absmom
12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone... I have been good great and then not so great since we last were in contact. My dad was killed three weeks ago and I have been kind of existing... trying to make it through the holidays. I know it will get easier and day by day it has, but I still have a ways to go...

Before this tragedy I was kind of in a rutt - or - taking a break from serious training depending on the day... This year I ran/walked/finished the Boston Marathon with Team in Training. IT WAS AWESOME - one of the most emotional days of my life! I also ran a half marathon and did the Danskin triathlon for the 4th time. Exercise-wise I have done great, though right now I am making it to the gym only once or 2x a week...

Diet has been horrible. I am still exactly where I was the last time we shared news. 185-190 depending on the day and 40lbs to lose. For the record, marathon training is the worst thing for a diet. Like most people I actually gained weight when all was said and done. SO Ive been going to WW with the goal of reaching a healthy weight before I attempt my next athletic endeavour - a duathlon on my birthday in April. I will definately need the support and am glad to have this venue up and running!! Thanks Juno!!

If I don't get on again before the weekend --- Merry Christmas!! to those who celebrate!!
Absmom

FitandFine
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
x

absmom
12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks again Juno! Ugh.....

My tip for this weekend is that whereever you go - or if you stay home - make something/bring something you can eat... I am off to my sisters Christmas and I am bringing smoked salmon, capers, sliced cucumbers, red peppers, a low fat dill dip/spread, and shrimp cocktail. I can eat these things without guilt and will avoid at all costs the cheese platter which is usually my downfall. It doesn't take much to calorically kill your day with cheese!

FitandFine
12-23-2006, 03:04 PM
x

SAB 5%
12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Dear Absmom - my heart goes out to you and you will be in our thoughts over the next few weeks as I am sure it is horrible enough to go through without the added pressure of the holidays.

Juno - Hope the storm passes you but it does sound nice to be stuck in and all snuggled for the holiday!

Cassie flew in Thursday so our family is all together - just everyone else is out of state. We have had a lot of hockey but now at 3 today we were done. We went to the grocery store and picked up our appetizer Christmas stuff (which yes has way too much cheese!) and also did the veggies and fruit. I think this year I will be better at eating so I am not stuffed but try for a smaller meal. Plus we have a one year old dog who wants to be walked every day so no excuses there.

My goal is to start with a healthy breakfast every day (which I was tending to just grab & go). Oatmeal w/ fruit - toast with HB egg & fruit.

Okay dinner is ready here and thus the start of sitting around on our butts, watching movies, playing games & eating. I look forward to the normalcy of Tuesday!

Steph

absmom
12-29-2006, 09:24 AM
I went to WW yesterday to FACE THE MUSIC. Let's face it - I had a lovely Christmas dinner, ate healthy, walked and then proceded to eat a can (yes can) of mixed nuts and a platter of italian Christmas cookies my neighbor brought over "for the kids". Well, maybe not the whole platter - but definately more than my share. I was expecting at least a 2 lbs gain.... and I stayed exactly the same. I AM 190.6 ....

I feel like I've been given a gift by maintaining and i need to make good on some promises I made to myself over the last couple of weeks. I committed to HEALTHY EATING, I committed to THOUGHTFUL EXERCISE and PLANNING. I need some follow through... I need a goal.

I am going to the gym this morning. I had big plans of getting up and putting together a weight routine, but then my little one was up with an ear ache ALL night so just getting to the gym will be my success for the day. Unlike you Juno, I can not function without my sleep... at LEAST 6, but preferably 8 hours. COFFEE is my solace.

STEPH - You are a dog person and last year we got a dog too! She'll be 2 in January so lots of energy; and since I am the one who wanted her, I do nearly all of the walking... every morning without fail. She's half Golden/half Standard Poodle and we rescued her from a family that didn't realize how much work a dog was.... she was a CHRISTMAS PRESENT for the kids... Can I tell you how much I hate the whole "PUPPY FOR XMAS"!!! Anyway, she's sweet and fun, and she's been a lifesaver this month with my dad's death. DOG RANT OVER.

SO - I have my weekly ww food tracker and i will write down what I eat. I have a date at the gym and knowing my motivation level I may squeeze out 45 min on the Elliptical. This afternoon I will consider the PLAN for weights/core and a training schedule for triathlon this coming year. My sisters and I want to do 3 events (including our annual date with Danskin). NOW all I need is some motivation and GIANT kick in the butt! I also need for school vacation to be over, my kids to stop fighting and my husband to go back to work... My house is a DISASTER. I am a little FRIED. HAPPY NEW YEAR.....

SAB 5%
01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Happy New Year! I was pretty darn lazy the last day of 2006 but felt much more motivated yesterday. Got the house a bit more organized and then got up early today to get things done before I went walking with the dog and friend in the early a.m. My dog was so excited (we hadn't walked all Christmas break!) that I swear she was howling in the laundry room...I did not realize she really missed the a.m. walk!

Our WW starts here next week but I did get on the scale last week and almost fainted as I weigh the most I have in a few years. Too much snacking here and the fact that I was always on my feet for 10 years and now hang out by the computer and do a lot of paperwork - not enough calorie burning during the day. So I am trying to be good and not e-mail office people to get up off my butt. We were walking at lunch until the weather got cold but too much of a pain when you are dressed nice and it is freezing out.

I brought a lot of snack sized portions to work and good healthy choices so that when I want to go raid the kitchen - just have to choose from my shelf. Only two items per day. Wish me luck because I am going to need it.

Absmom - The dog is the family dog and needs my hubby to spoil her and love her every second, the boys adore her and I am the one who feeds & exercises her :) She was super skinny and a rescued German Shep who was fully trained but I can see her energy was really hyper and sometimes she scares me when running around the yard (pretty sure she would take me down if she didn't like me!!) I told a friend that I would run a 5K with her this year and was hoping she would forget but she just sent me an e-mail reminding me that I would be doing one or two with her. Better get my butt in gear!!

Juno - Hope you had a great holiday! I look forward to getting advice from you as I remember when we first started posting that you were turning 40 during that time and wanted to be ahead of the game in health. Well that is where I am at this year and realize it is now or never. I've been fine the past few years but would like to bump it up a notch (and take off the pounds that I gained here at the new job!)

New year brings about great renewal!!

Steph

FitandFine
01-03-2007, 02:30 AM
x

Shorty
01-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Hello, women!

(it feels good to say that again!)

This is the second time I've composed a post today. The first I had to abandon because it is impossible to type on a laptop when you're crunched into the front seat of a Subaru Impreza. You see, we were on our way home from a trip to the doctor for the baby, then a trip to the bank, and it was pouring rain and my A/C is out so my car was fogging up and then both kids fell asleep. I was annoyed, stressed, had only eaten a latte and a bagel w/ cream cheese all day and I was starved. I pulled into a drive-through coffee people because I could get another latte (this one was 1%) and a muffin and I knew they had wi-fi and I could do some work in the car, in the parking lot, while the kids slept and I had some meager nourishment.

See why I wanted Juno to help me get this group started again?

When I joined this group in 1998 or '99 I was 25, energetic, strong, childless and selfish with my time. With the help of this group I started running 5+ days a week, ate normal portions of good food and lost about 15 lbs.

Since I left the job I had at that time it's all been downhill from there. There was a point when dd1 started solid foods that all of a sudden a bunch of weight melted off and I was skinny and had big nursing boobs. Dd2 just started solids this last week, but even if a bunch of weight came off I feel tired, weak, my ab muscles are stretched out (and likely torn, I may need surgery). When I do any kind of power walking my hip muscles get really sore and I limp for days.

Women, I feel OLD.

Today happened to be a bad day for food. I usually eat much better. It was just a harried day with the first day back to work (I work at home, or at cafes, depending on my childcare situation that day), and appointments. I made up for it tonight with a lovely dinner: a soup of pured potato, carrot, squash and curry with a spinich salad and sausage meatballs (I had no more than a palm's sized serving of the meat). I've been working on buying local foodstuffs (my effort to reduce the use of fossile fuels) and, except for the spices, this was a totally local meal.

Anyway, there is no way I can do what I did when I was 25. Then, I was obsessed with my body and had the time and lack of committments that allows you to carry on such an obsession. Now, I have to break down everything into mini-goals and be really easy on myself because that's all that's possible.

It's all very frustating. But somone told me a long time ago, before I had kids, that this time is just a season in your life, and then it passes, and you just may miss it. (I know I will always miss my little babies once they're gone. I've been through this already with dd1.) Since you all have been where I am, I'm really going to depend on you to remind me of this!

What's my downfall? Lack of planning. I don't plan meals and then we get take-out. Or I don't plan any exercise time and work or errands eats it all up. I've at least got myself off to a good start this week by having a fridge and pantry full of good foods.

Baby's up to nurse. More later!

absmom
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Happy New Year to all!!!

I enjoyed my new year - perhaps a little too much. I am on medication that is supposed to enhance the effects of alcohol and I found that it definately does. I am not a big drinker... 3 glasses of Pinot did me in... I think I am done with drinking anything for a while.

I got sick New Years Day, and now I am nursing what I hope is the end of this cold/throat thing. As you all know, MOMS are NOT allowed to get sick - EVER. I did, however, make it to the gym for the first time this year. 2.5 miles of walking/running at 2.5% grade. I signed up for spin tomorrow. Friday's dream of pilates at 10 was smashed by a school play for dd1...

WW tomorrow will be a complete surprise. I ate horribly Saturday and Sunday. Had to eat an egg mcmuffin to quell my a.m. hangover (a salt thing) and then I picked at holiday leftovers - chocolate cake, banana bread pudding, quiche. I through it all in the trash once I realized that I was the only one interested in eating any of these goodies my sister sent home. Tuesday morning I woke up and realized that I had screw up my plan for a weight loss the first week of the year, SO I made a yummy - high fiber, fatfree lentil soup and it has been lunch and dinner for the last two days. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

SAB 5%
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Babies, hangovers, no exercise, bad food - all the things to deter fitness :) Hey at least we've got them all covered!

I have to say that I've been pretty darn good here. Snacks have been in pre-sized baggies so if I am thinking about gulping something down - I only get to do it late afternoon and it is already portioned out. Dinners have been at home too because we've been able to have at least 20 minutes to sit down. I am sure that I eat too much there (dinner always my downfall!) mainly because I eat with 3 males and they just eat and eat. I also have exercised but that is because I am frightened of the TB class next week and am sure that I will fall over dead after 60 minutes of exercise (I do exercise at home but probably not at full strength!)

Absmom - My hangover thing is stupid BK Croisanwiches which I am soooo sad to say that we have all this new stuff going up but our BK closed down this week!!! I guess I won't be able to go out and have too much because I would have to drive too far the next day in search of breakfast. That happens to be the only fast food breakfast I even ever treat myself too! Hope the cold magically goes away - everyone around here has one too.

Shorty - I have to laugh reading your post because when my one girlfriend suggested I have another baby (because she was) and I was thinking I have just moved to such a different place! Loved the kids when they were small but at 9,11 & 19 - I can do things!! Even giving up daycare has now freed up my brain and mind for other ventures. But in each stage it can all be good - I remember doing exercises with one toddler climbing on me and the other wishing he could move over and spit on me :)

Juno - I am not sure if we are going this year or next but the hubby and I are heading to AL for our anniversary. I just want to go this year because we really haven't celebrated any of them in a big way but 2008 is our 15th. But depends on how much vacation time I have here.... And the kitty comment made me laugh. I had two dogs, cat, two birds, turtle, fish etc.... The kitty is the EASIEST of all and requires the least maintence. Turtle & fish require major cleaning (which we also had the 60 gal. fish tank blow up in our downstairs - SO NOT FUN!!!), birds not so much except a bit of dustbuster... love the dog and she is pretty maintence free except the walks which I need and the kennel clean-up...oh and maybe she is a bit spoiled with attention but that's fine.

Okay end of my day here and off to exercise at home. DH has just announced he can't make dinner because he has tons of work to do and that is probably the only major peeve in our lives - he HATES his job and it just rubs off on all of us.

absmom
01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Steph - With the dinner thing - choose the smallest plate you have. Don't let yourself (or others) fill it up and don't go for seconds. Trust yourself that it's a serving and be done with dinner. My girlfriend has 4 boys - who all eat like truckdrivers - and she swears this keeps her in check. You lose perspective when you see what teen boys can eat (and burn off). This is when I am glad for girls... My friend's grocery bill is ENORMOUS!!

SO - WW this week was yet another gift. I stayed exactly the same again and I'll take it. Of course next week I have vowed to see a loss no matter what and I am taking steps to make that happen. Like you Steph, I portioned out snacks, planned some meals, and made sure I have some things for emergencies; like SmartOnes. I made it to the gym three times this week and added another 1/2 mile to my dog's morning walk. I am writing down EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth.

Shorty - I was in your shoes when you were living free and easy. My girls are now 7 and 4. The one thing that I would recommend is to schedule an event. I signed up for my first Danskin when my little one was 4 months old. I mapped out a training regime and I also had a standing Saturday morning date with my sisters. My DH knew that he had the kids NO MATTER WHAT. This continues to work for us - even last year while I trained for the Boston Marathon. My DH knows that Sat a.m. is my time - and more importantly I know this is my training time.

Juno - How's the BodyPump going??? I am going to start again next tuesday night. Marathon training got in the way of weights and I am now just realizing how much I have lost in my upper body. I am sure that 8 weeks of BP is just what I need.

Can I tell you how glad I am to be done with the Holidays? Can I tell you how glad I am to be back on a regular schedule?? Can I tell you how psyched I am that we haven't had any measurable snow this winter and its January 5?!! My phlox are BLOOMING!! If you like winter - sorry. Not my favorite season. Spring is - and even if it starts blizzarding tomorrow, I know that it's only 8 weeks away!!!!

Shorty
01-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello, women!

So, I've had an okay couple of days. I was really getting frustrated with the fact that I could not figure out how to get exercise into my day. And then, my lower back got torqued. Not even really sure how it happened, I woke up with it. I think it's a nursing injury. :dizzy: It feels like a strain and I know it's all because I have absolutey no abdomninal strength. Not that I'm happy about all this, but it's been a big motivator to get some strength building into my day. Can't say that I've been stellar at it but I've incorporated more tummy exercises and kegals, at least.

As far as cardio, well, I had coffee yesterday, which I never do, and I was about to sell my children come 2 PM. It just makes me too cranky. So I borrowed my neighbor's double stroller and threw them both in and walked around the neighborhood, zig-zagging up and down the streets to take advantage of the small incline that runs through our neighborhood. They both fell asleep, but Clara was really cold and cranky when she woke up. I have to figure out how to keep her warm and happy because I'm not likely to stick with this if she's always whining. I'm also really sore in one hip, which keeps happening, but I think the answer to that is to keep moving.

I'm still on the fence about joining a gym, or should I say, switching, because I actually do belong to one, I just never go. I thought the community center was going to be a good option, but they don't have childcare in the afternoon. The mornings my 3 yo is home I want to spend with her, the mornings she's at preschool I need to work. So I'm still not sure how to fit this in. I think I'm going to still just make due with trying to workout at home. It just takes less time, which is the thing that's in shortest supply.

As you can see, I'm still a little cranky about all this. I'm a little cranky in general. Dh and I are okay, but working through some old things with a counselor, who is less than talented (he actually said last night that my way of approaching things is "hormonal"). So my head is full of all that. Working at home is just not working for me anymore and I just want to be done with my projects so I can just be done, for at least the summer.

Sorry for the gigantic vent. I'm just not used to feeling so out of control and settling all the time. I know it's just a season in my life, I've seen lots of friends go through the same thing, I just have to keep reminding myself that it won't always be like this. And I will miss these days when they're gone.

I hope you're all feeling strong and centered. I can't tell you how happy I am that we're all back together. It's a really beautiful thing. Thank you all for being here!

absmom
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Hooray for me - I lost a whole pound this week! I can not tell you how happy I am to be in the 180s again... I spent ALL of 2006 in the 190s! :(

I made it to the gym 3x this week and you can tell by the way I can't lift my hands over my head that I worked hard at BODY Pump tuesday night. OMG! I have not been able to do a single upper body exercise since.... Yes, I am really that sore. I ran a whole 3 miles yesterday and now my foot is sore too. (again). I think I have plantar faciitis. I didn't do anything strenuous in December and it felt great - now it hurts again; mostly just the arch. I really felt good when I was running and so it bums me out... I am going to ICE ICE ICE and see if I can work through it.

Shorty - you need a new Therapist. I would have clocked anyone that attributed any of my feelings to "being hormonal" . That said, I had pretty bad post partum depression with both of my kids. The first one just made me quit the job of my dreams, sell my house and move closer to home; with the second I realized that I needed medication. I am glad I took it and got through it. It's so hard to be a mom and a wife. Hang in there, it does get better!!! Taking out the double stroller is a great thing. Do they have any mommy & me stroller classes where you are? Just a thought. As for keeping warm, I used to put a neck warmer (aromatherapy thingy filled with beans) in the microwave and then put it in the carrier when I went out for a walk. Everyone stayed warm and cozy while mom got a little fresh air. Keep it up!

Steph - How goes WW? I am good about 5 of 7 days. I try try try to write things down, some days just get ahead of me.

Well I am off to call the cable company and find out what's up with my e-mail. It's been down all day and I can't be with out it another minute! Wish me luck; I hate these guys!!

Juno - What's new ??? How are you surviving your Alaskan winter?????????I don't know how you do it?!@

Absmom

SAB 5%
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
We finally had some cold here and the ground is covered in white :) Last week when I read Abs note about spring I was pretty sure we were skipping winter here but it arrived over the weekend. I don't mind for now. It is very cold and I still went on my morning walk so I must be getting used to it!

We didn't have to weigh in for WW last week but two of us did anyhow on the scale here because I already made last weekend my free for all and started behaving. I was down 1.5 pounds from the week before and hopefully will be down a pound or two more this week. Came on pretty quick for me so I am hoping some falls off fast!

Only working a 1/2 day today so have to get some stuff done. Made TB both times last week, got in all my a.m. walks and two more evening workouts, made much smarter choices including hanging out with friends and making smarter choices. Little things I am hoping will all add up. I do think the turning 40 is really weighing on my mind as the year to get it together or else! Don't know what the or else is but just know somehow it will hurt my psyche :)

Hope everyone is having a good week and finds some time to check in!

SAB 5%
01-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I posted somehow and it didn't make it all the way on the board so now mine will have to be brief.

I was thinking last week with Abs e-mail about spring coming soon that she was right and I can't wait :) Now it is zero out and we have snow everywhere....changed pretty quickly. We've had the mild winter but not this week. Today was -4 and my friend and I still went and did our hour walk at 5:30 a.m. ! We think we're pretty tough now :carrot:

WW first weigh in is today but I have weighed myself the past two weeks and am down 3 pounds - phew. I know it is harder to get off then how easily it went on but am trying very hard to be good and do everything normally but with a bit more moderation and control. I have been really good at exercise (having the work TaeBo helps!) and then trying to do even more at home. My goal now is to walk 5 times per week in the a.m. still and also to do 4 more exercise sessions per week. Last week I did 5 :)

Food can be a challenge as the e-mail just said Krispy Kremes (4 boxes) were delivered here this a.m. from a supplier. Unfortunately my co-worker and I are not good at talking each other out of things. We went together, ate one, pretended to justify it and then went back to our office. But w/ Burger King gone - have to have some type of breakfast treat! Haven't had a sinful breakfast thing since Christmas break.

Hope everyone is still in strong form for the NY. Hope on and say hi!

SAB 5%
01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I have posted on here two times this week but it never shows up. I am thinking that somehow it is getting blocked from work but can't be sure! If this shows up then I will write more later otherwise will not write until I am home!

SAB 5%
01-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Well something was up because now when I posted that one, I see that my posts did make it on but even when I pulled it up earlier I could not see Shorty's or Abs posts!!! Techno issues!

Okay I realized (am now in edit mode) that I did not go to page two and that is why I didn't see my posts. Oops - not a techno error but a user error.

Shorty - I don't know if I have any good advice to give you but I will say that when I did home daycare I used to tell my moms that it was okay to leave their kids on their days off so they could have some me time and to not feel guilty about it. I think when the mom gets worn down - everything starts to fall apart. Even though we think we are being good by putting our thoughts on how we must spend a certain amount of time with our kids - it is okay to take a break if you can. I'm so not defending your counselors choice of words but I do believe that the whole man/woman thing of how a marriage works, what needs to be done at the house, how much they should participate is goofy. I'm on year 14 and still don't understand how a perfectly sensible husband gives me what I consider stupid responses to things regarding the kids/house/pets whatever. I still don't get why when I have hit the stomping around the house mode that he has to get a pacifying look on his face and say "what can I help with?" - Well you should not have to answer that question if you paid attention! I have put my husband in charge of just finding out homework after school as for the first time in 10 years he is there and I was not happy at 8 when I found homework in the almost 9 year olds bag. Okay now I am done venting :)

Absmom - yeah!!! You have reached a happy point! I think with all of us back into supporting it should go well. I feel that we all just have such great history that we can pull each other through this! My husband bought just these heel things in the Dr. Scholl's area and they really helped his foot (he has plantars fasc. or so he says). Said in two days of wearing them made a big difference. I am doing okay with the points - really made me see how much more I eat than I should!

Okay off to work now.

FitandFine
01-18-2007, 12:56 PM
x

FitandFine
01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
x

Shorty
01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks to everyone for the support. I'm doing much better now. I started doing Flylady a few weeks ago to get my house back in shape. I'm amazed at how well it works! Really, all it is is setting a timer for 5, 10 or 15 minutes then and doing what you hate to do. Then you find that it really doesn't take that long. And then you're okay doing it every day! (Still, I don't shine my sink. I think that's a bit much. And dh does the kitchen around here.) My downfall was laundry. Now that's under control I feel like I have a lot more time for everything else.

Yesterday I got up early and went walking with three women. One I'd met through friends a few times. She posted to a local moms list that she wanted a walking partner and two other women replied. Funny thing is that they're all about 7 months pregnant! I was pushing baby Iris in her stroller so I had a little extra resistance. It was lots of fun. I had an amazing appetite later that day and did well with a fresh veggie/stirfy at a cafe with a friend.

Tomorrow I'm going to go look at a double jogger that someone is selling on Craigslist. If it works I'm going to start walking to preschool one day a week, probably in the afternoon. It's 3.4 miles round trip. If I can do that, and walk on a weekend day and get another walk in earlier in the week, that would be great progress for me.

I also bought some hand weights at Ross. I'm looking through my Shape magazines (with which I have a love/hate relationship) for some routines. I'm putting together a book of things I can do. I'm even thinking of joining their online guide because they suggest routines and I could use some inspiration.

As soon as I finish this post I'm going to finish cleaning up my kitchen (I'm sorting books, magazines, etc. into some new shelves) and plan out my meals for the week. Then I need to pay business bills. Then to bed! Iris is teething something awful so I expect her to be up soon.

Juno: Hearing how your habits have rubbed off onto your girls is a big inspiration to me. And just how you've always kept at it! And I am going to incorporate that 20 minute rule into my life. I think that will work well with the weights.

SAB: I hear you about the food temptations. We went to dh's company dinner the other night and it was horrible. So horrible we left early and went to the hotel restaraunt (one of the best in town) and ate lots of yummy food. If we'd stuck to the seafood we would have been fine, but then they brought around the dessert tray...Why do they do that? Oh, there was a trio of creme brule, pot de creme and a berry cobbler. ALL OF MY FAVORITES. We split 'em and loved them. Ah, well.

Abs: I had pain in one of my ankles when I was running a lot. I was able to run through it, but always worried about it. I hope you feel better. Congrats on dropping the pounds!!

Speaking of Flylady, has anyone checked out their Body Clutter book? I'm thinking of buying it. It's cheap, has great reviews on Amazon, and if her way of getting healthy is like cleaning house I may be able to do it!

Hope all is well with all of you. Talk soon!

FitandFine
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
x

Shorty
01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Enjoy the time with your dh, Juno! I forget, does he travel for work?

I bought the jogger! I figured out that with both girls in it, including the weight of the stroller itself, I'm pushing 80 lbs! Yikes! I'm not sure how one runs with any real speed in this situation but we'll see. I never went for speed but rather time/distance anyway. It's all progress, so I'm not complaining.

Except I am. Because now I have a horrendous cold. Bleh. So no walking or running for me for a few days. I'm going to do some weights this afternoon when I'm done with work.

Does anyone have a reliable scale? I think mine is crappy and I can never trust it. If yes, would you mind telling me the model?

Hope everyone is doing well!

SAB 5%
01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
On the fly too as it is almost time to head out for TB with the office. It has turned out to be a great experience and all of us are having fun. So far this month (I started behaving food wise before WW weigh-in began) but I have lost 6 pounds this month so far. Makes a huge difference and I do feel that for the first time I am somewhat in control.

Yeah for the 80 lb stroller! Since I have gained at least 15 since quitting daycare - trust me that child care was calorie burning!

I need some new workout tops and maybe some new shoes with a bit more spring in them. Promised myself non-food rewards when I reach goals so am looking forward to those.

I swear by the cleaning just a bit at a time. We rarely every do huge cleaning events - just quick 10 minutes per day seems to get out house in line. If we are having company then we do a very heated fast but thorough cleaning and I only do that when someone is coming. My house is neat & clean but I do have two kids at home and all those pets and I've given up on it looking fantastic every day. Our house is clean but looks lived in!

Sounds like everyone is in a positive mode still as January starts to close. Let's keep it going!:carrot:

absmom
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I had a cold. It was bad, felt rotten. Then instead of getting better I got a fever and a bad case of strep. I have not been able to get to the gym and I have not been able to sleep b/c I am coughing all night. I don't think I've been this out of commission in a LONG TIME. The doctor gave me cough syrup with codine, but not only does it not work - it makes me feel spaced for most of the next day (I have since dumped it). My poor doggy hasn't had a walk in two days!! DH is working 16 hour days so I can't really have him pick up the slack and my poor kids....Physically I feel better right now and hopefully, if I get a good eight hours sleep I'll be able to get my life and house back on track and to the gym. I feel like a giant SLUG.

Food wise - not much has tasted good, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried to find something that might be good. My diet has suffered!

Shorty - I have a Tanita scale and it is the same scale as my Doctor's office. It's pretty accurate. I think I got it at Linnen's and Things for $65 or so a few years back. The body fat percentage is a little inconsistent, but I think it's still a good model. Good luck with 80lbs of kids! Just make sure you have good sidewalks or a wide shoulder... They don't manueuver very well.

Juno - I hope my kids want to work out with me when they get older!! I am sure that you are the coolest MOM!

Steph - Congrats on 6 lbs!@ I am working on 3 for the month and I dont' think I lost this week since I couldnt' exercise....

My goal for this week is to get back at it - gym x 4 and write down my points for at least 5 of 7 days. I'll let you know how it goes!

Happy Thursday!
Absmom

Shorty
01-29-2007, 04:01 AM
hello, women!

I have to check my settings. I'm not getting notified when people post here. Anyway, I'm going okay here. Still trying to get regular exercise into my routine, but I'm doing okay with food.

Well, maybe not. I started tracking it, first at Fitday and then at *********** (some people from another board I'm on created a group there) and it seems that I have A LOT of fat in my diet!

The food I eat is all relatively healthy. They just happen to have a lot of fat, I guess. So I switched to egg whites for breakfast, and now I have to find a protein-rich snack with less fat than cashews (I eat about a cup throughout the day). I'm actually still in experimental mode with this. Since I'm breastfeeding, and I've been losing the weight just fine, I'm not convinced I need to lower my intake all that much. One day I did and I was totally famished by the end of the day and ate a bunch of cheese and oatmeal, which isn't like me. So I think I'm going to add more fruits and veggies to my snack, fewer nuts, and see where that leaves me. It's just so hard to get all the protein I need without the nuts.

Took the stroller out yesterday. The girls loved it! My baby--she's going to be a spitfire, and I thought my first was! Iris didn't care for the walking part, she wanted me to run! When I stopped running (I only ran a half block with them) she kicked her legs and banged her head against the seat back.

Our stroller walk took us to the park and while dh watched the girls I ran around the park without stopping, about 3 blocks. It felt good! Nothing fell out! ;) I think I'm truley ready for this again.

I've got a whole list of exercises I can do at home that I got from ***********. I've got a resistance band and hand weights (got to retreive my balance ball from a friend). I've got good childcare this week so I think I'll be able to get some movement in.

absmom: I'm so sorry you've been sick! That's the pits. Try VitaBiotics from Eclectic Institute. They're fabulous for helping you fight off infection.

Steph: Congrats on losing 6 lbs! That's fabulous! Nice and steady.

Juno: Hope work is evening out. Catch us up when you can!

Shorty
01-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Lame. I guess 3FC doesn't like you to list competitor sites? All those asterisks are masking the name of a website that starts with "S" followed by "park" and "people." Not really that important, but there it is.

absmom
02-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Finally I am feeling more myself. It has been a rough few weeks.

I made it to the gym Tuesday for Spinning with my FAVORITE teacher. Her class is ALWAYs full and I was fortunate enough to climb from number 7 on the wait list to a bike. My lucky day! It was nice to work hard, sweat and feel like I am moving again. I am going again this morning with a different teacher and then to WW. I have been a GIANT slug. I gained last week and I fully expect to have gained this week. I just can't seem to get in a groove with my eating. I am full of good intentions on Friday and then .....

Tips for getting out of a diet slump would be helpful. I suppose a regular gym schedule can't hurt, but it seems a total lack of motivation and general apathy has taken root. UGH!

I am NOT giving up. I promised myself that I would become a lifetime member of WW this time. I am not quitting, so unless I want to pay them for the rest of my life I better start living the program and losing this weight.

Shorty - How's the running? Hope you are feeling good and gaining back some of that endurance. It's got to feel good to just be able to go now that you have your stroller!

Juno, Steph, Hope your week is going great!

SAB 5%
02-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Just a quick blurb from me as I am off in a few minutes. Been very crazy hectic here with work and a lot of other things happening. I am off to exercise in about 10 minutes and really need to burn off some anxiety!

WW - I did go up about a pound this week and I know that is because I cheated and was a bit cocky about the loss. This week two of my kids have birthdays and for them that means eating out & choosing dessert too. I had a small entree last night and a very small non-fat ice cream at CSC.

I hate the weeks when it starts to get crazy such as things that interfere with schedules such as birthdays, illness, work etc.

Hopefully I will find some time to get on and post more by this weekend. I too am going to get on WW lifetime Abs!! We can do it!!

Okay - i'm off!

FitandFine
02-02-2007, 03:10 AM

FitandFine
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
x

Shorty
02-08-2007, 05:21 PM
hello, women!

Thanks for that great post, Juno. I agree that so much improving your health is just making better choices, and being fully responsible for the consequences of whatever choice you do make.

DH and I have been enjoying date nights out at some of the more recommended eateries in town, where I usually have at least one cocktail, something heavy and yummy, and often dessert.

I have a habit of not entering my food on those days because I know that the calories and fat counts will be high. But I tell myself that I'm allowed one night of yummy food, and further justify it by saying that since I'm taking a food writing class I need to get to know good food!

But since I am CHOOSING to eat this food, and I really do feel okay about that choice, I should just own up to all of it and enter the food into the program. That way I at least know the full impact of my choices and can make adjustments before or after to accomodate the extra calories.

So I did my first real run/fast walk with the double jogger on Tuesdays. Whew! It was hard, but fun, and it didn't kill me. We were in a neighborhood withlots of hills so I pushed and walked up those, even going into a semi-squat to really get the buns working. I was able to run in much longer bursts that I expected, 4-5 blocks at a time. I'm a little sore, but it's normal, good sore, not too-soon-after-having-a-baby-to-exercise-like-this sore. I really feel it across my upper back and shoulders, from the pushing I assume.

I did my usual walk on Sat am with the pregnant gals (did I tell you all about this group?) and will do it again this Sat. Trying to recuit new non-pregnant people so they don't all disappear on me this spring.

I got the bulk of my big work done today, and the baby is up after a 3 hour nap so I think I'm going to have my hands full for the rest of the day. Good excuse to put her in the stroller, pick up the mail, and stroll around the neighborhood for an hour or so. The birds have decided it's spring already and there is an absolute cacophony outside my window! It's a good day for a walk.

Abs, I hope you're over the cold and feeling like you're back in the groove.

Steph, I hope your days are getting a little less crazy. Bummer about the gain, but I know you'll get right back on it.

SAB 5%
02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I am enjoying a rare moment of peace and quiet in my house this afternoon. Took off from work a bit early and had to run around and do errands because we have hockey tournaments this weekend and I wanted to get a bit done.

I believe our work has decided to extend our workouts through April as a group which is really good because that session two times a week makes me work a bit harder than I would at home. We have a really nice group and everyone is doing great. I am also running my first 5K with a friend from work and am trying to get myself up to a decent pace so I don't embarass myself. I have always done a walk/run routine but did run 2.3 miles in one straight shot and at over a 5MPH speed so I think by April I should be okay. I know it will be different running outside though and wish we lived in a warmer state where I could get more outside practice!

WW is going good. I think the best thing is just that weekly check in. You think about it during the week, even if you don't journal everything - you really start to calculate how many points are going in your mouth! Even with the two birthdays and eating out twice and a girls night out....I managed to lose two pounds. I am trying to just make good solid choices. I know that yes any choice I make is MY decision so I have to be okay with it.

We had to cut back our morning walks this past week thanks to -30 wind chills but we got out again this morning (but even the dog made us cut it short) and are now hoping that next week will get us back to normal.

Shorty - congrats on date night! I don't think I got those until the past few years and my baby is 9!!! Dumb parenting - no reality is no one lived around here to babysit!

Juno - I would come up this year but want more vacation accrued! I have a friend who just started a Body Pump class here and she loves it.

Abs - Hope you are feeling 100%. I know it is a drag to get sick and then of course those kids get sick and it is always the mom's job to pull everyone through!

I need to go and enjoy the last 30 minutes of quiet time and work on my taxes!

goingdown4good
02-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Juno,
I just joined this site and found your message. I would love to be part of the ongoing dialogue with people trying to make life changes. I lost 100 pounds a few years ago and now I struggle daily to keep within a 10-15 pound range. It seems as if keeping off the last 10 and staying at the lower end of my range is just as hard as losing 100pounds! Ok not as hard but much more difficult then I would like it to be. I hope to hear from you and other club members. I am in a similar spot with three kids, working full time, and all the stress life brings. I also recently changed health clubs however I don't like my new club as much so any incentive to buck up and get back to exercising would be welcome. I do know that complaining and overeating doesn't make the weight go away.

FitandFine
02-12-2007, 04:06 AM
x

goingdown4good
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Juno,
Thanks for your welcoming message. To everyone else who has been here for 10 years thanks for letting me join in. Wow what a commitment you all have to each other.
I'll give you the short version of my journey. I put weight on slowly as an adult and by the time I had my third child I was 50 pounds overweight. By the time he was 5 I was 100pounds overweight. That time in my life seems like a blurr. I work full time and try and manage a house, spouse, the kids and as you know the story I am sure taking care of myself wasn't on my radar.

I promised myself that when my youngest went to kindergarten I would do something for myself and I did. Some people at work were trying the low carb thing and one day someone gave me a protein bar when I was on my way for coffee and candy in the afternoon. I had never hear of low carb or high protein. This was in October of 2003 and it launched my new low carb diet approach to life. I read everything I could get my hands on and I tried every low carb diet. I lost the weight by May of 05. Probably the best help for me was a book entitled "Living the Low Carb Life" by Jonny Bowden. I learned about body chemistry and how sugar was affecting me. I am one of those people who is very sensitive to sugar and I never knew it.

When I reached my goal I kept at the goal weight for a year and I was hoping all of my problems would be solved and I would quit thinking about food so much. As you know that just isn't the case. I think I just wanted the food problem to go away.

I also started practicing yoga two years ago. I love yoga. I am also an avid walker although I am a baby when it comes to cold weather. I live in the Midwest and when we get a few inches of snow I go treadmill or eliptical. I don't know how you all do it in the frigid temperatures.

This past year I have tried to change my diet to be more flexible and include more alternative proteins like beans. I am finding that I am not successful for very long. As my carbohydrate levels go up I start to unhinge. I am trying to learn moderation but I don't feel like I have the will power to ever have just one and yet now that it has been two years I don't want to constantly be on a diet.

So as I look at making choices for life I am trying to figure out what choices I am willing to make for a lifetime. We are in a tight financial situation right now so I have been trying to cut back on the food bill which is really hard because I have relied on protein bars and whey protein shakes as part of my diet. That is also the reason for the gym change. I had to let go of my yoga class at the YMCA and I really miss the support and the stretching and the cardio workout(it was a pretty rigorous class). I am not trying to be a whiner. All of this is to say I feel like after two years I should be able to handle the changes and yet I am really out of the old routine in terms of what I was eating and how I was exercising. I feel lost right now and the result has been moving to the top of the 10 pound range I feel comfortable with. You know the feeling of tight clothes and eating much more of the unhealthy stuff than the good stuff.

Well so much for the short post. Thanks for listening. I haven't been able to share this with anyone. People assume the problem is gone because the weight is gone. This shake up in my routine is another hurdle on the journey. Any help in how to manage this one would be great. I am thinking of increasing the food budget if I can't find a low cost protein substitute that doesn't make me crave carbs. I have also found a free yoga download which is pretty good just lonely. And for those of you that have a good gym cardio routine I would love to hear about it. I just go to the gym and look at the equipment and usually hit auto program because it is too overwhelming. There is a weight room there as well but no free trainers.

Thanks for your support.
GD4good

FitandFine
02-14-2007, 02:10 PM
x

SAB 5%
02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Happy Hump Day (is it Friday yet???) -

Busy at work and in home life but am taking a mini break just because I deserve to (or at least I've convinced myself of that!).

Welcome GD4Good! Always happy to learn about other people's experiences and have some new input into our group. Congratulations on the weight loss and the obvious determination that you have! I am very impressed because you really gave yourself a time to get in shape and did what it takes. One of the hardest things to stick to. Carbs are seriously my downfall as I don't really eat anything else in excess....

Even though it is freezing here in the mornings my girlfriend and I have still been good about going out 4-5 mornings per week for an hour and trudging around with the dog (we do about 3 miles). Dog needs it and unfortunately we are probably so loud that when spring comes and people open their windows we are going to have the police called....we were quiet the first few weeks but now into our 5th month of 5:30 walking - we are wide awake! The group TB lessons are going good and we haven't had many people at all drop off and we just extended a few weeks. This week they awarded us with resistance bands and did that ever make a difference! I am trying to run 2+ miles a couple times a week and also doing some strength training tapes at home too.

I am trying to tell myself that I have only one more very very jam-packed week with the boys hockey and then only the younger one still plays. I am away this weekend on a tournament (bad food, beer!), then we have two more tournaments when we get back...and then my evenings will be so calm for a few months. I love hockey, love that the boys love it......but it is very time consuming. I am telling myself that it is better to be calm and pace things out over the next two weeks otherwise it just gets so frantic.

WW is going good just because of the scale and the fact that I am really looking at what I eat and deciding if one stupid thing is worth a lot of points. I don't eat a lot of processed foods - seem to get hives and one of the main ingredients in things that gives me hives fast is corn syrup!! I think it honestly is more fill things than regular. I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, grains and stuff in their natural state or steamed. I like shrimp, cheese and veggie burgers for protein. Just am not a big meat girl at all.....

Speaking of being mad about corn syrup - I bought the new "crunchy" oatmeal because I am able to tolerate the Apple/Cinnamon variety but the "crunchy" one has corn syrup thanks to the granola. I have found a few bars that do not have corn syrup and eat them occassionally. I buy the natural applesauce and add my own cinnamon.....

Okay better get down to business here -

Steph

goingdown4good
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the great ideas Juno and thanks for the welcome Steph. You both sound like you are really active which is such an encouragement. I have spent the last two days house bound and feeling sorry for myself so today when the weather broke and the kids went back to school I went grocery shopping and stocked up on foods that I know make me feel good (healthy). I found protein bars on sale, I bought nuts and put them in small portion size bags. I found lots of fruits and veggies and I made a meal plan.

As you said I have to remember what worked so well for all the time I was losing weight. I think I was too quick to let go of too many good habits at one time. You are right about having buddies. I will find someone at the new gym or at least try and get in to a routine that I can count on. I think I can afford the protein bars since I reduced the cost of the YMCA. That should be a fair trade off for now. My work schedule varies so I have different time available each day. I am going to plan out my exercise schedule as if it were a class. Maybe that will help me hold to the time.

Thanks for the diet ideas I will check them out. I am willing to try something different. I think you are right about beans. Maybe a couple times a week but not more. I also have a lot of success with cottage cheese, tuna, and eggs. I think I just need to remember the good habits and think positive. Carbs don't affect me too much unless I dive head long into refined sugar products. I have tried to manage small amounts but that just seems to trigger bigger bites!

This weekend I am heading out of town for work. Instead of stressing I am going to look forward to a hotel room that I don't have to share with three kids. Maybe the bathtub will be a jacuzzi. That would be an incredible treat. I will definitely bring workout clothes and try out their exercise equipment. This is very unusual for me and it is hard to leave three kids with all of their activities in the hands of my husband. Steph we probably play basketball here the way you all play hockey. It is crazy right now but we are finished in two weeks. Leaving during the height of tournaments is really tough. On the other hand, I will have extra time for myself which isn't all bad either.

Enjoy your day and thanks so much for your welcoming spirit. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how things go next week.
GD4Good

goingdown4good
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the great ideas Juno and thanks for the welcome Steph. You both sound like you are really active which is such an encouragement. I have spent the last two days house bound and feeling sorry for myself so today when the weather broke and the kids went back to school I went grocery shopping and stocked up on foods that I know make me feel good (healthy). I found protein bars on sale, I bought nuts and put them in small portion size bags. I found lots of fruits and veggies and I made a meal plan.

As you said I have to remember what worked so well for all the time I was losing weight. I think I was too quick to let go of too many good habits at one time. You are right about having buddies. I will find someone at the new gym or at least try and get in to a routine that I can count on. I think I can afford the protein bars since I reduced the cost of the YMCA. That should be a fair trade off for now. My work schedule varies so I have different time available each day. I am going to plan out my exercise schedule as if it were a class. Maybe that will help me hold to the time.

Thanks for the diet ideas I will check them out. I am willing to try something different. I think you are right about beans. Maybe a couple times a week but not more. I also have a lot of success with cottage cheese, tuna, and eggs. I think I just need to remember the good habits and think positive. Carbs don't affect me too much unless I dive head long into refined sugar products. I have tried to manage small amounts but that just seems to trigger bigger bites!

This weekend I am heading out of town for work. Instead of stressing I am going to look forward to a hotel room that I don't have to share with three kids. Maybe the bathtub will be a jacuzzi. That would be an incredible treat. I will definitely bring workout clothes and try out their exercise equipment. This is very unusual for me and it is hard to leave three kids with all of their activities in the hands of my husband. Steph we probably play basketball here the way you all play hockey. It is crazy right now but we are finished in two weeks. Leaving during the height of tournaments is really tough. On the other hand, I will have extra time for myself which isn't all bad either.

Enjoy your day and thanks so much for your welcoming spirit. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how things go next week.
GD4Good

FitandFine
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
x

goingdown4good
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well the weekend in Chicago was delightful. Not as windy (being on Lake Michigan)as I expected and the hotel was right on the Magnificent Mile which is definitely the hot spot of Chicago. I live in Ohio so it was not a far drive.

I recently read a story in the newspaper about a famous ball player who went into rehab to get off drugs and alcohol in order to save his family life and career. After 16 months of rehab he found that one way to keep from being tempted to get back into the drug life was to give up the priviledge of driving and access to his own money. At first I thought this was crazy then I thought of the things that I do that make it difficult for me to keep up with my good habits.

I have a wireless network in my home so instead of working at my desk I now set up in the dining room(right next to the kitchen). Way too much access to food - I am moving back upstairs!

I start cooking after school when the kids get home and sometimes spend most of the afternoon and evening in the kitchen(way too much time to stand and snack)

I tell myself I can't walk when it is cold(but I just walked 3 miles twice a day in Chicago in order to get to and from the conference!)

I am not a drug addict but I was really struck by how hard I make it for myself sometimes. I do love sugar and I don't always stop at a small piece of chocolate so why tempt myself? I should leave ice cream and chocolate for special occasions not daily dessert in the house!

Juno, I am glad you took a look at Jonny Bowden's website. I think his advice on ivillage.com as an expert is probably the best source. You may have already found that. I didn't realize he was "stepping away" from low carb. He has never been an advocate of counting carbs or GI or other strategies used by many of the low carb programs. He is really about common sense when it comes to eating healthy whole grains, fruits, veggies, and proteins. As I tell most low carb dieters. No one ever got fat from eating a carrot! What I like about Jonny is he really helped me understand that what I eat really does matter. He also believes that calories matter which a lot of low carb programs forget to mention. Anyway I try to stick with the "super foods" and for me keeping the refined sugar in check is key.

I am dissapointed that I let 5 pounds turn into 15 pounds since October but I am not going to beat myself up about it. This is the first time since I reached my goal(may 05) that I have ever been more than 10 pounds above goal weight. It is pretty scary because I am on the edge of not having anything to wear but I am trying not to panic. I walked this afternoon because after such a great weekend of walking I thought I would keep things going. It felt good to be outside. I am going to try to toughen up like those of you who walk at 5:30am. If you can do it Steph I should be able to handle 3pm and temperatures in the 30s!

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I had to work today but for those of you that had the day off I hope it was an enjoyable one.
GD4good

absmom
02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello All!

I've been on a bout of rotten depression for the good part of this month. Not quite sadness over my dad, but a lot of apathy - A LOT. I have gained a good 5 lbs and my house is pretty darn GROSS. I've been doing a lot of self talking - not all of it positive and I don't know if I am out of this yet or just acknowledging what is.... I've never really lost anyone close to me - let alone a parent, so I am trying not to be too hard on myself. That said I really could use a kick in the butt!!

GD4good - Welcome. Sorry to be such a downer. I'll try to make more of an effort to catch up and get with it,...

I have so much I want to do. Now I need to just get myself to a point of actually DOING.... Spring would certainly help, but I don't want to wait til then to start. Glad to see that you are all keeping up! I know that a trip to the gym wouldn't kill me and may actually help. Hopefully I will make it there today.

Happy Friday
Absmom

FitandFine
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
x

absmom
02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
YOU ARE A GOOD WOMAN JUNO!!! Thanks for the PEP. My dad wasn't always the best person, but the more I think of him, the more I am learning about him, the more I can accept who he was to me. There are days I go with out tears then I realize I haven't talked to my siblings either and I wonder if I am avoiding it. I don't want to fill any voids with food, and I think a part of me has been doing just that. Hibernating, watching TV and EATING too much. I'll convince myself that the hour I spent in the gym justifies just about anything else I do and for someone needing to lose weight that is the WRONG approach to take.

I need to just take it one day at a time for now. I am going to go to WW Thursday and see the damage - consider it a fresh start.

It is snowing here in MA, so a trip to the gym (located at the top of a big not well maintained hill) is out at least until this afternoon.

I shoveled so that's got to count for something. I am working on keeping a food journal. And there's that stability ball I bought 2 weeks ago that is in some serious need of use.

I will commit to 6 days of food journaling for this week and go from there.

Happy Monday!

Hope all of you are feeling FRESH!

SAB 5%
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry I have been MIA! Hopefully this week will bring about the fresh start and a bit of calm around me. The oldest son is done with hockey which made a big dent but we still do have a few for the younger one. A co-workers sister died (which made work quite hectic) and the stinking blizzard that hit this area!! It is 5 days later and they really still haven't plowed well enough to go out for the morning walks without us being afraid of falling (even with super tread/warm boots). So that is the sum of my last two weeks - chaotic.

So I was off track for a bit - last week was the first time since the new year that besides the morning walks - I didn't make it to TB or workout at home. Today I worked out a bit in the morning, did a short walk, and then worked out tonight. I am hoping that I truly can get back on track with that. Food was horrid because it was tournaments, hockey season-end parties, eating out with friends......good choices with most food just often too much. Ate a healthy breakfast of scrambled egg whites and veggies which just made me start out happy and feeling I made a step in the right direction.

Abs- Snow!!Weren't we both just talking about spring?? I was so enjoying the 30 degree weather and this morning besides the two feet of snow to battle the stupid wind was freezing my face.

Juno - I will just live vicariously through your vacation this month :) I need one and I do think we are going to plan a mini weekend with friends. And it will be in a warm place!

GD4G - I lived in IL for years and graduated from college in Chicago. Walked the magnificent mile every day from school to work :) I do miss it sometimes since we moved to MN but for the most part - like it up here better. I did lose about 40/45 pounds several years ago and have been great about keeping it off until this year. Changing jobs made 15 pop on so fast it makes my head spin. And the effort to get it back off is so hard compared to when I would go up 5. Part age, new job....I need to find even more ways to be active at home.

Shorty - I imagine you are out running a marathon with that stroller :)))

I think one reason I have been so uninspired just the past month is that I am a big reader and read Self, Shape, More and several others and always find stories that make me push myself harder. Well thanks to HOCKEY I haven't had a moment to read. I sat down last night and started catching up so think that my normal life will return. Mine both have no sports until summer. I told them they can do whatever they want (skateparks, bikeparks, skate etc) but nothing organized so we can all have some downtime. One is going snowboarding this weekend for the first time at a real hill :)

Okay off to another hockey game......really really looking forward to the end! And I said no to two volunteer things for next year that would have been really big. Figured I am giving myself a bit of space to get me back together!

absmom
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
I have made it to the gym 5 x this week. I logged my food all 7 days and I didn't lose a pound. Shocked I tell you.... BUT I am going for it this time. I am NOT discouraged. I know it's the cumulative that I am looking for and persistance will pay off.

Depression is still an issue, but I am managing. I wish all the estate stuff would be done and then I feel like we could move on. Can I make one recomendation to fellow 5%'s and any lurkers.... GET A WILL --- For the sake of your family. It's fast (I just did ours) and it cost us $200.00 . I will not leave my kids in the situation my dad left us in....

Rant over. I am off to Pilates OR if I don't get in, an upper body strength session. My weekly goal is: 1 swim, 2 spins, 2 runs, 2 strength sessions. I registered for the Danskin Tri for my 5th year, so I need to get focused. My sister and I have a lofty goal of hitting (or breaking) the 1.5 hour mark, so I have a lot of work to do.

Finally - We are getting 18" by tomorrow (it hasn't started yet and I am already fretting). I know it won't be around long, but SPRING is really next week... I want GREEN. I want to be OUTSIDE. I really HATE winter!! (sorry Juno).

BTW - Juno, I made the most delicious Brocoli soup this week. FAT FREE - SO GOOD ! Chilli is tonights fare... I am into feeling satisfied. VEGGIES -- love um....

Steph - My girls are skaters so I know the joys of sitting in a cold rink for hours. Competition season, however, is just beginning for us. I am hoping to crack a few books - my mom just gave me Suite Francais which I can't wait to start@

Happy Friday! Let's set some goals ------
Absmom

Shorty
03-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi, everyone,

So much to catch up on! Sorry I've been MIA. We went to San Diego last month and then I came back to a lot of catching up...lots of work, a new nanny, and all the rest. My in-laws just left so I'm getting back to real life.

I've been cooking up a storm, and though it's all whole foods, not exactly the low-fat variety. So I'm back to light and yummy breakfast and lunch, and a little heartier dinners, but still good portions and high nutrients.

Exercise is getting better and better. I've now got a three day a week plan: walking Saturdays with a partner (although she's about to have a baby), Tuesdays running on my own, and Thursdays I walk the girls to preschool. If it rains, not sure what I'll do on Thursdays. We'll see if they'll put up with the wet.

I'm still losing weight, but I know that's all the nursing. Iris is getting more intersted in solids so I have to make sure that I'm not counting on that for much longer.

goingdown4good - welcome! So much fun to have a new person in this group!

More later when I have time to catch up. I'm STILL not getting emails. I should bug someone about that.

-shorty

absmom
04-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Let's not fall off the page...

So - Here it is April and the weight is SLOWLY SLOWLY coming off.... Tenths of pounds rather than whole numbers, but my resolve is still there. I am NOT giving up! I have a 5 mile race May 27 and I plan to RUN the whole thing. Of course it would be nice to be a little smaller by then and hopefully the body will cooperate.

My goals are to continue journalling, eat less, and stick to the training schedule... Danskin is 16 weeks away, but it will be here before I know it!

I hope everyone is HEALTHY and STRONG! Check in when you can!! STAY 5%

Absmom

SAB 5%
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Every time I tried to get on in the last couple weeks something came up. Like just now someone walked into my office and said "3 Fat Chicks - whose that??" But I will finish a short post!!!

Absmom - mine is the same way. It is coming off but in small increments every week rather than by the pound or two. I started running with a friend 2 times after work and then running with another on the weekend once. Our fitness classes ended here so we decided since we had made it all that time that we could continue doing something together twice a week. She has run many 5K's and I will be attemping my first one sometime before June. We haven't officially signed up for one yet!

I replaced my office chair with the stability ball and after a week of people coming by and laughing - two more women brought their balls in also. It is much more tiring to sit on the ball every day but I'm willing to try it just for the abs!!

Food - pretty good. Volunteer stuff comes to a crawl now. I get to spend a lot of time outside as the weather gets nicer! Just trying to keep active!!!
My big thing is making time for some strength training and a bit of yoga/stretching. All about pre-planning!

Have a great end of April!!!!

Steph

absmom
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Steph - Great to hear from you !! Run Run Run.... AND SIGN UP for your RACE. It really is amazing how your motivation / committment changes once you've paid for your number!!

I have a 5 miler in May and for the first time in MONTHS I ran 3 miles straight (no walk) I am going to continue to add a half mile until the race! It's also great training for Danskin. The run is always the hardest for me and this year I want to be 100% ready!!

I have been so ON PROGRAM this week and really proud of my dedication. Why when I only have 1 more day to the week do I find that a Dunkin Donuts Oatmeal Raisin Cookie is 10 points!!! (480 calories!! UGH) Of course I checked after I ate the whole thing... my moment of weakness for the week....

Good thing I have a 90 minute spin class an hour before weigh in Thursday!!

Have a great WEEK!!

SAB 5%
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Thought I would hop on quickly to keep the thread alive.

Okay Absmom - my goal by the end of the day is to sign up for a race. We were bummed because we probably have to go a bit out of the area because there isn't anything in May or June right around here but there were some in April. I probably couldn't have run the whole thing then but should be able to in about two more weeks. I have run over two miles and it is getting easier each time. We pick a farther landmark for the first segment of running every time and then we have been able to increase every other segment too. My foot was hurting for a bit but is all better now.

I still walk in the a.m. and am trying to spend more time doing strenth training and would really like to get back into yoga because I really felt that it just made me feel leaner. Need to schedule it all in and then I can stick to it.

Okay - a lot of work piled up on my desk. Still struggling with portion control but still have faith that someday it will click!! Last night was at a potluck and I don't know why I ate too much. It's not like I never get to go to Potlucks or that they will ever end!!

Sheryllynn
05-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

I was a member of this group back in 1999-2000, and you may recall that I disappeared after my husband died in April of 2000. At that time I pretty much forgot about everything diet- and exercise-wise, and gained back everything I had lost in the previous 6-8 months, plus a few more...

I remarried in 2003, and have been doing pretty well on a personal level. On a fitness level, however... I've done a few stints with Weight Watchers, but really never got back into the swing of things, and whatever I lost I gained back. Exercise was like torture.

I've been looking inward, looking at my patterns, what makes me tick. I came to the realization that I have a serious issue with processed foods. When I eat them, they are all that I crave, and I don't know when/how to stop. I don't even want to eat foods that are good for me, they're too much trouble.

So, I quit cold turkey about a month and a half ago. I've had nothing that contains processed flour/sugar since that time. I decided not to weigh myself, but to judge only by listening to my body. Since that time, I have more energy, I don't need as much sleep, and I'm learning how to recognize when I am hungry and when I'm full. That last bit sounds silly to someone that has never had this kind of issue, I'm sure, but I know that this is the case for me. I've also gone down one size, almost two. I'm beginning to start walking again, and I'm looking forward to hiking on the trails I used to know so well this summer.

It's good to see the old familiar posters here, and I look forward to "seeing" you all again in future posts.

Sheryl

absmom
05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi All - I hope the sporatic posts will continue. I can't check in every day, but every few weeks is nice to catch up. Juno - WHERE ARE YOU!

Hi Sheyl - I do remember you and glad to see that you are back to taken care of yourself.... It's tough to grieve... Hope the walking is going well. The change in weather makes it a lot easier to get outside!

Steph, RUN RUN RUN!! My 5 miler is NEXT weekend. The good thing is that I completed with only one short hill walk - a 4.5 miler on the TOUGHEST course ever. It totally kicked my butt - HOWEVER, I feel so proud of myself now for doing it. I was with my psycho runner sister who wouldn't let me quit! Gotta love that!

SO I've been riding my bike - spinning, running and swimming. Danskin is 8 weeks away and on my current training plan I'll be the fittest I've been in years! Maybe I'll even have a new PR.... UPDATES will follow! I'll let you know how the 5 goes!!

HAPPY RUNNING!!
Absmom

SAB 5%
05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome back Sheryl! I agree with you on the processed foods - seems if I start up on them then it just leads to one bad choice after another. I really really try and limit them M-F (hardly ever eat them at b-fast or lunch) but haven't been able to go cold turkey but I do think it would make a tremendous amount of difference!

Abs - running my 5K on June 9. Cross your fingers!! I have run the whole 3.1 miles a few times on the treadmill and done it once on real ground. I am running tonight and have a little over a week to prepare. I know it will be tough but I think on race day I will have adrenaline and will be even more worried about finishing!

Okay - a lot of work piled up on my desk but thought I would check in.

Sheryllynn
06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi All - sounds like everyone is doing well! Good luck Steph on your upcoming 5K, let us know how it went. Absmom - wow! You sound so full of energy! How did your 5 mile run go?

My whole foods plan is going well, even during a trip last week to the in-laws, who are notorious sugar-cookers. I stayed well away from the poisons. ;) In fact, my MIL was recovering from a bad attack of pancreitus, and was ordered on a low fat diet. Since her husband doesn't cook, I did most of the cooking while I was there: Low fat and non-processed. Brown rice, lots of veggies, soup, strawberries for dessert... and it went over quite well! My FIL asked "Why do they call this brown rice, as it looks pretty white to me?"

A couple of days ago, a friend forwarded me an email that said this weekend there was no joining fee for the YMCA. I called another friend and told her about it, and she will join this weekend, also. Looks like it was meant to be, so I joined last night and had my first gym workout in I don't know how many years. I'm looking forward to getting back to enjoying it, but I'm not there yet by a long shot! Having two friends to motivate me to go will help, though. Getting there is 3/4 of the battle.

I have to go get stuff together, we're going to Toronto for the weekend to visit with my step-son and his new bride. Have a good week all!

Sheryl

SAB 5%
06-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I survived the 5K :carrot: I did pretty good since this was the first time I raced anybody since I was in track in highschool. I ran the 3.1 miles in under 34 minutes so I was proud of myself because I was thinking I couldn't even finish it in under 40. I did sign up for another one in August because of course now I want to do better.

Sheryl - Hope you enjoyed your trip to Toronto. We are going away next week for 5 days and I can't wait. Need a vacation even if it is mini. Though I am sure there will be too much bad food and not enough exercise though I am going to try to swim and hike even if no one else will do it with me.

We have been trying to cook healther even for dinner. Cutting a lot of recipes out, focusing on eating differently - the men in my house don't have a weight problem but their arteries will be thankful later.

I haven't been doing weights or yoga as much at all so I am really trying to get back into that as all I keep reading is that the more muscle the easier it is to stay slimmer and fight off the fat. I just tend to do tons of cardio because I now have quite a few walking or running people I can call. Need to schedule the other excise in my schedule too.

Absmom - Good for you on the 4.5 miler!!! How did your last race go. I must say I can't imagine a 4.5 miler.........thinking I would be a goner!!

Off to work!

FitandFine
06-29-2007, 03:37 AM
x

Shorty
07-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello, women!

I am so glad you are are still here. Sorry I dropped off again. Yes, I'm still using that stroller. That was the best $250 I ever spent. I never have an excuse for not getting some kind of exercise in.

Eating is going well, though with party season in full swing I admit to overindulging in the cocktails and wine a bit here and there. Oh, well. I'm having fun and don't seem worse for the wear. The self-imposed challenge I'm facing is that I'm trying to eat the majority of my foods from local sources. Add that to our mostly gluten-free and cow's milk-free diet and things get interesting. Actually, we're eating very well, especially since the bounty is in at the farmers' markets. I'm even blogging about it, which you can see here: http://dirttodish.blogspot.com.

My big problem is still this damned diastasis. Now that I've lost all the excess fat, when I lay on my back my tummy skin falls into the gap in my muscles. Charming! I'm doing special exercises for it now, hoping to see some results. Even if my tummy isn't flat, I just want my core to be strong. My lower back is really a problem right now and I can't do a lot of things I want to do, like gardening.

My arms, though, look loverly, I must say. I'm going to a conference in Chicago at the end of the month and I'm all motivated to look good in sleeveless shirts. ;)

Anyone up for something like a 1000 minute challenge for the month? Maybe 700 minutes since it's already the 9th. ;)

FitandFine
07-10-2007, 01:58 PM
x

SAB 5%
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm all for the 1000 challenge. I log my exercise time at work so it won't be any extra effort for me. I have been good about getting in the right amount of time on exercise and the past two weeks have been working on pushing myself rather than coasting. The big 40 birthday is looming and I do have a goal!

We had a bit of a rough ending at June. I ran my 5K, the next week we went on vacation (great & relaxing) and then my daughter's mom unexpectedly died at 38 so we were out of town and had a long drive for the funeral. She is technically my stepd but she lived with us for years and I just never refer to her as that....so a bit of an emotional crisis for her and a big eye opener for me that I'm not invincible! Her mom did not take care of herself and lived a hard life but at one point she was a pretty healthy active person.

I do love walking in the a.m. now and can't stand to do it in the evening when so many people are around. My girlfriend and I have also noticed a trend....every week there is new people out M & T with their dog or out running and then we never see them again. We are proud of ourselves for walking for over 1 1/2 years and making it a habit.

I have not made good enough use of the Farmers Market here but we do keep talking about going every week. Maybe these posts will inspire me to actually go out and do it. I don't think one is very far away from me and it would be nice to visit the big one in Minneapolis. I had a daycare child who had celiac disease so I cooked a lot of stuff for him that probably tasted horrible. I have seen that foods have come a long way since then because there were about 3 items on the shelf that you could buy. I have food allergies too so I am a fussy eater. Not too much processed and still can not have more than a bit or two of anything with corn syrup in it!

Okay back to work! Glad to see all the posts!

FitandFine
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
x

SAB 5%
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Since I have been good about posting on the 1000 Challenge thought I should make an effort to post here.....

Exercise is going well - need to start intense training for the 2nd 5K. I know the girl I am running with is looking forward to keeping this going but with the two boys going up another level in hockey - my time starts to quickly dwindle.

Food - I am getting much better with portion control. I do think overall I eat very healthy but never the right amounts. My rule for the past two weeks has just been to eat but no 2nd servings.....dropped 5 pounds. Guess there is one of my problems!!

Not so much a medical situation as just making choices that led to her death at 38. Eating disorders, alcohol, mental health disorders, lack of exercise & nutrition, possible drugs??? She was pretty darn healthy except for her smoking at one point....think it all just killed her slowly.

I bought new shoes yesterday - pretty easy to kill your shoes when I started running. Takes me a while to get used to new ones. I also have started wearing heels a bit more at work and don't think my feet like that! They might look pretty but 2 times a week is about all I can handle.

Now my big challenge on no 2nds this weekend will be at a big beach BBQ on Saturday. Send me vibes to enjoy the company but not overindulge in the food!!

I should get some work done - it's nice being able to post again (but I might invest my $15 to get rid of the popups too!)