Does it Work? - wellbutrin

View Full Version : wellbutrin

phatgirl
12-19-2006, 02:31 AM
I have depression and decided to go on antidepressants. I chose wellbutrin XL 150mg because I want the activating effects + the weight loss benefits. I know weight loss can be minimal but I am wondering if anyone here has had experience with Wellbutrin (buproprion) and if it has impacted your weight at all. Thanks!

jourdain
12-19-2006, 03:56 AM
I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.

Good luck and best wishes!

Sassy_Chick
12-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I've taken Wellbutrin off an on for a while. I am currently back on it and yes, for me it does suppress my appetite. But that is about it..............So I guess yes it can help assist in weightloss, but probably not with everybody. I wouldn't count on it at least. If it does help, then that is just an added bonus. ;)

:goodluck:

BMI2HI
12-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I have been on that med and saw no benefits. However, I will say that I found it much easier to resist food or to not give in to cravings. So, I am still trying

Kamike
12-30-2006, 02:11 AM
My doctor prescribed it just for weight loss. It seemed to curb my appetite, and it made me happy, so i liked it.

shrinkingchica
01-01-2007, 01:22 AM
The study group was with bulimics and they lost on average about 5 whole lbs so for weight loss only purposes this is definately NOT a good idea.

I say that because some people I have heard are going on it purely for weight loss and that is ludicris especially since a side effect is seizures.

train
01-01-2007, 02:56 AM
i was prescribed this for depression..and it lifted my mood slightly, increased energy and slightly suppresed my appetite. although none if this would have aided my weight loss had i not been extemely motivated myself.

amykay9377
01-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.

I have an appt. with my MD at the end of the month regarding getting Wellbutrin. Has it helped you regarding the quitting? I quit 4 years ago, and had the NASTIEST time quitting physically (nausea, migraines, etc) and I was hoping that the WB would help. Also, does it even you out, mood-wise? I am curious if it will help regarding the FUNK I get into sometimes. Thanks!

OnePerDecade
01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I am on Wellbutrin for mild depression and have been for several years (other than when I was pregnant). I cannot say that it has curbed my appetite BUT I can say for me, the reduction in depression has made it far easier for me to avoid bingeing. I also can say I have not purged in all the time I have been taking Wellbutrin -- and I have been bulimic since age 13 (way back before it was popular, people!).
Of course, it goes without saying but....I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV. My experience is my own.

fiddler
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I tried it and had to stop because it made me extremely nauseated and jumpy.

gumboot
01-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi there,
I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin since last May for depression. I have to say, I have not found it to curb my hunger at all. Although I have not binged in a long time so I guess it is helping that. It has lifted my mood and I find (along with other people I know taking it) that it has increased my libido.
I have not had any side effects to report.
I would say it I didn't *feel* it working for 3-4 months so hang in there, it will work eventually.

Berlin
01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I tried Wellbutrin about 7-years ago for weight loss and it did nothing for me. :(

marbleflys
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for reactive depression about 4 years ago. I took it for about 10 days, I couldn't tolerate it. For me the side effects were difficulty sleeping and I was wired, jumpy, short-temper, etc.

lilmissme
01-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Everyone reacts differently to all medications. I've been on Wellbutrin for 7 1/2 years and when I first started taking it, I dropped 40 pounds in two months. Then I kinda plateaud, didn't gain or lose, and then after time, I did gain it back. And, when I started taking it, I was smoking - not hardcore but on a daily basis - and after the first day of taking Wellbutrin, I could not stand the taste or even the smell of cigarette smoke. So yeah, like I said, it works differently for everyone. Good luck!

Lilmissme

BlessedBe
01-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Welbutrin made me really dizzy. If I bent down I felt like my head did a 360 turn. Or like my brain suddenly was too big for my skull. And this was after being on it onlya day or two.

Beach Patrol
01-31-2007, 01:48 PM
I took Wellbutrin for about 2-3 months. Different dosages, even. It DID curb my appetite a little, but not enough to lose any weight, really.

However, it seemingly made my depression WORSE. I spiraled downward rather quickly. My doc took me off that & I have been on Celexa since October (I think.... October... or there about...) I AM MUCH BETTER NOW. It's a good drug for me; my depression is gone & I am now trying to wean off the drug.

BUT I DID GAIN 20 POUNDS. :(

Nothing/Nobody is perfect.

riverbend
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I have an appt. with my MD at the end of the month regarding getting Wellbutrin. Has it helped you regarding the quitting? I quit 4 years ago, and had the NASTIEST time quitting physically (nausea, migraines, etc) and I was hoping that the WB would help. Also, does it even you out, mood-wise? I am curious if it will help regarding the FUNK I get into sometimes. Thanks!

I started taking Welbutrin in June. I'd quit smoking the previous September and gained 40lbs overnight as soon as I went off the nicoderm patch. Then I became quite severely depressed.

The Welbutrin certainly helped me. Helped my mood, seemed to help somewhat with the cravings to smoke - which for me are emotional. I'm also an emotional eater. Just seemed to get me to where I need to be emotionally so that I don't need to abuse my body to "feel better".

I had been on WW previous to going on the Welbutrin. I think I lost maybe 12 lbs in 3 months. I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks on the Welbutrin. Lost a few more until August and the it just stopped. I lost the same 5lbs over and over until this month. So who knows. That could just be how my body wants to do this. Big loss, no loss for a few months, lose some more, etc :?:

But yeah, I love the Welbutrin.

compscinerdgirl
02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Big Disclaimer that this is just my experience!

1. Doctor gave me Wellbutrin in addition to my other depression meds because I needed "get up and go" in the mornings. I still didn't want to get out of bed.
2. I lost no weight. I actually gained weight. But I wasn't trying to lose and i was on other depression meds at the same time.
3. I had to be very careful with worrying about interactions because of the risk of seizure. That meant no drinking alcohol, etc.
4. If I forgot to take it in the morning I would have a huge headache by lunchtime with extreme dizziness and a clicking/wooshing sound in my ears. It was so bad that some days I would have to call my father and have him pick me up from school cause I couldn't drive myself home. Same experience when stopping it - the headaches lasted for about a week.

shootingstar67
02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi

I used to take welburten. I didn't notice a weight loss.

What I really seemed to notice a weigh loss with receiently was with Effexor. I didn't even realize what was causing the weight loss. I thought it might be the Effexor because weight loss is susposed to be a side effect. Well, I started feeling so good, I went off my medication. That was a month ago. I did maintain(quite naturally without trying) the ten lbs I had lost with the Effexor for a few months,till this morning when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had shooted up to 144 again -somehow.

So I am about to go back on the Effexor and my running shoes are arriving in the mail so I might start that again. The reason I am telling you this is this next span of taking my anti depressant medication will confirm or not confirm that Effexor does cause weight loss(running alone never did). If you would like the results of my little experment, let me know, either though this forum or message me, and I will come back in a month or so, and tell you how it went.

x2tpd
02-17-2007, 07:02 AM
I took it and lost 30 lbs in a 2 month period. It only works for me if I take the Wellbutrin XL which is the purple one not the SR which is white I believe. I am a complusive emotional eater and it made me not hungry.

mkat321
02-19-2007, 07:03 PM
peeking in because I have got to go back on meds due to my depression worsening just as I get ready to start college and I keep hearing about Wellbutrin's weight loss and energy benefits. Heaven knows the last thing I need right now is weight gain or a drop in my already non existant energy levels. My doc is pretty cool with giving me either wellbutrin or effexor, and told me to do the research and see what I felt comfortable with {she knows I only take meds as a last resort and I research everything to death}

Katz3
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I've been taking wellbutrin forever. As long as I take it religiously and stick to a good meal plan, it helps. I feel like there's got to be something better though. Hopefully I'll find it soon, and hopefully you'l find something too.

cheesewhore
02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I lost about 7lbs when I first went on it and slowly gained it back. I does help me to resit my urges... which is funny because I read it is contrindicated in Eating Disorders? Not sure why?

valentina
02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I did some research about Wellbutrin and spoke to Dr Stephen Hymsfeld (very well known authority on weight loss) and was told it's the only anti depressant that you can't gain weight with. It also won't slow down and alter your metabolism permanently the way many of the other anti depressants do. For many people it helps curb their appetite and decreases food cravings, for some it doesn't help in that area at all, but you won't gain weight if that's the only AD you're taking.

Over the years I tried many anti depressants and they all made me more depressed and some, like Celexa - permanently slowed down my metabolism, it was never the same.

I took Wellbutrin for a few weeks? and woke up one day with a hive on my leg. 24 hours later I was covered in them tip to toe including my eyes and eyelids. I'm allergic to it. It's a very common side effect with Wellbutrin, I believe it's over 20% who develop an allergy to it and break out in hives.

tigrre
03-17-2007, 06:05 AM
I did some research about Wellbutrin and spoke to Dr Stephen Hymsfeld (very well known authority on weight loss) and was told it's the only anti depressant that you can't gain weight with. It also won't slow down and alter your metabolism permanently the way many of the other anti depressants do. For many people it helps curb their appetite and decreases food cravings, for some it doesn't help in that area at all, but you won't gain weight if that's the only AD you're taking.

Over the years I tried many anti depressants and they all made me more depressed and some, like Celexa - permanently slowed down my metabolism, it was never the same.

I took Wellbutrin for a few weeks? and woke up one day with a hive on my leg. 24 hours later I was covered in them tip to toe including my eyes and eyelids. I'm allergic to it. It's a very common side effect with Wellbutrin, I believe it's over 20% who develop an allergy to it and break out in hives.

Sorry but the above post is rife with inaccuracies. Regarding the idea that you won't gain weight taking Wellbutrin: I don't know of any drug that makes it literally IMPOSSIBLE to gain weigh. If you eat 5,000 calories a day and are on Wellbutrin you will gain weight.

But some people lose weight on Wellbutrin and far it is better for you in terms of NOT GAINING weight than other antidepressants.

But if you're evaluating Wellbutrin as a weight loss drug the results are not that impressive. According to the prescribing information sheet (http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_wellbutrinXL.pdf) (can be found by clicking a link on the main Wellibutrin XL page if my link gets taken down) 23% of patients taking between 150 to 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL daily lost more than 5 pounds during clinical trials compared to 11% taking a placebo. For Wellbutrin SR vs. placebo, weight loss of over 5 pounds was seen at 14% for patients taking 300 mg per day and 19% for those taking 400 mg per day vs. 6% taking a placebo.

And the suggestion that over 20% of people taking Wellbutrin will develop hives is way off. Again, refering to clinical trials 1%-2% of people taking Wellbutrin developed urticaria (hives) vs. 0% taking a placebo. 4%-5% develope a rash compared to 1% placebo. Hives are not one of the most common side effects. Agitation and insomnia are far more likely.

I hope this helps the original poster.

Luckybustert
03-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Everyone reacts differently to all medications. I've been on Wellbutrin for 7 1/2 years and when I first started taking it, I dropped 40 pounds in two months. Then I kinda plateaud, didn't gain or lose, and then after time, I did gain it back. And, when I started taking it, I was smoking - not hardcore but on a daily basis - and after the first day of taking Wellbutrin, I could not stand the taste or even the smell of cigarette smoke. So yeah, like I said, it works differently for everyone. Good luck!

Lilmissme

My experience with Wellbutrin is similar. Initially I lost my appetite and lost a few pounds, but I eventually levelled out and gained them back. Overall I'd say Wellbutrin has been weight-neutral for me. (On the plus side, Wellbutrin beats the heck out of some of the other ADs that tend to skyrocket my weight into outer space!)

pookeysmom
04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I just started taking Wellbutrin about a week ago. I'm an emotional eater, and I think it's already helping. I felt that if I didn't have the hormonal downs & anger, I wouldn't want to eat as much. It seems to be doing that for me already. I feel very level emotionally. I hope it continues.