Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Question on training calves

I've always had large calves - going back to high school I can remember people commenting on them. I think they are muscular, I mean I see good definition when I do a calf raise. Lately, as I've gone down a size from XL's to L's, I notice that the one area that is still tight is the calf area on the sweat pants, for example. SHould I: 1) abandon my calf work to slim them down with my fat loss? Or should I: 2) keep training but do more reps and less weight, and refrain from increasing the weight even tho doing so is easy. I don't think the answer is increasing the weight, as that would make the muscle larger contributing to the tight pant syndrome. What do do?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #2  
Meg

Fran - I've got the same problem that you do ... all my weight is in my lower body and my calves are HUGE. What's helped me is doing calves three times a week (alternating with abs three times/week), but not heavy. I'll do five sets of 20 on the standing calf raise or on the leg press (keeping the handles locked and just doing calf raises). Or I'll go up and down the stairs at the gym, 10 per step with just my bodyweight (total of 340). I haven't added any muscle but think it's helped burn up some of that intramuscular fat.

I feel your pain -- I STILL have trouble buying tall boots that fit!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #3  
Mel

I have the opposite problem- stick leg syndrome here. I look like Oliveoyle in boots Heavy, heavy calf raises put 1/4 inch on my calves in 2 years, but tweaked my back badly twice. I've give up. They are super strong, but would look good on a chicken.

For my clients with large calves, we either do super high reps, or don't work 'em at all directly. I tell them "cardio, cardio, cardio".

Why can't we all get together and divy up body parts???? I could use some calves, height, and boobage!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I'll give you some "boobage" Mel! They are the reason I'll never, ever fit into a size small shirt. I could use some length in my legs, though I'm happy enough with the shape. The part of me that bothers me the most is the fact I'm very long waisted, which combined with the larger "boobage" means I have trouble with getting shirts - esp work/dress tops - long enough. Sigh.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh I'll give you calf. You can take a ton of my calf if you want it!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Pat, I'll give you 1/2 my short waist and we'll be set. I'm big chested and short waisted - a worse nightmare I can't imagine. I do have long legs though, so once I work off all the fat, I'll be happy about that.

Mel, you've made me very happy about cutting out my calf exercises! My lbwo just got shorter - room for more obliques work! I think the calf raises (on my 217 lb body) was doing more harm to my feet than good for my legs, actually.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #7  
Mel

Fran- that was one of the biggest surprises for me when I finally got my weight off: I realized I had long legs! It had been so many years since I'd seen them, I'd forgotten what I used to look like. Unfortunately since I'm 5'3" in my nikes, that means I'm also very short waisted. OK, I've got offers of boobage and calves, now I need an extra vertebra. Anyone????

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Mel! I'm much taller than you - stretched to 5'4" exactly at the doc's this morning. My legs are average I think - I can wear petites but I dare not let them shrink in length! I really need them for the rise; mine is very short, and I so hate the crotch of my pants halfway to my knees. Who designed these bodies anyway??? My Dad was over 6' but none of us girls got any height. I'm the tallest! My 5'3" sister married a guy 6'7" and they have a daughter who is 5'10". In my next life, maybe.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote