Crab-Stuffed Mini Peppers
This made 24 halves, the recipe would easily double or triple. To make ahead, just stuff the peppers, refrigerate, then bake before serving.
12 mini sweet peppers or jalapenos
1 cup crabmeat (I love the 1 lb can from Costco)
1/4 cup shredded lowfat cheddar
2 oz lowfat cream cheese
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper (or use grated zest and black pepper)
Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon
PAM or other cooking oil spray
1. Cut the stem off the peppers, slice in half the long way, and working under running water at the sink,scoop out all the seeds and inner membranes. (If you're using jalapenos, you may want to wear gloves)
2. Put the pepper halves into a pot of boiling water, and blanch for 3 minutes. Remove and cool.
3. Bring the cream cheese to room temperature, or slightly warm in the microwave. Combine the filling ingredients, mixing well.
4. Stuff some of the filling mixture into each pepper half, and place the peppers on a PAM-coated baking sheet. When all are done, lightly spray the tops with PAM.
5. Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. Then, turn the oven to Broil, and broil 2-3 minutes, watching carefully, just until tops begin to brown. Don't let them burn!
6. Serve! I used jalapenos, and served them with a fruit salsa to cut the heat.