Announcements and Forum Help! Requests for help, suggestions, and information. Also includes important Forum Announcements.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Default A ? about lost posts, forced sign offs

iBobi, would you please provide an update on why we are being automatically logged off when the submit new post button is selected. When I go back to check to see if my post appears it's a hit or miss proposition -- sometimes it's there (with those disgusting Jenny Craig ads) and sometimes it's not. It seems like 3 user impactful changes occurred with the last maintenance cycle:

1) the ads appearing in a post
2) forced signoffs when submitting a post
3) posts being dropped on a random basis

Any help you can provide in either fixing or pointing out ways to better use the site (i.e., problem on my side of things) would be appreciated.

Betsy
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #2  

Don't know if this helps, but I tried an experiment. The problems I've been having with getting forced log offs and losing posts appears to occur when using the VBulletin login screen that comes up if I try to post without logging in first. When I use the login screen at the right hand side above the Quick Links and Log Out links, then everything works and I stay logged in. Obviously I'll just log in from now on, but might be something that needs to be fixed.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #3  

You cannot post without being logged in
ibobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #4  

Really. You have to be logged in to post? OK, we now have the sarcasm out of the way.

Something is wrong with the site and has been ever since the maintenance. I log in using the standard login. I write my post and then click on the submit post. At that point the VBulletin message comes up that I'm not logged in. When I log again using the standard login, my post is gone. But if I use the VBulletin login, then the post is there accompanied by the irritating ads that have been added.

Either way, every time I post I'm being automatically logged out. That shouldn't be happening. Also, it seems to totally depend upon which login is used. I've begun to copy all of my posts in my thread to save so that I don't have to continue to spend a lot of time retyping them. Don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but if so then please provide some guidance on what needs to be fixed.

Thanks for your help. BTW, I'm an IT professional with over 30 years of experience including programming so I can understand technical directions.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #5  

I'm trying a test. I noticed that when I posted my last post that I had used the VBulletin login and when I submitted, I wasn't forced out. I've logged in this time with the standard login. I'm going to submit it and see what happens in terms of the post.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #6  

OK -- worked fine. I have absolutely no idea why some posts are accepted, some are lost and why some log ins work and some are forcing me off. Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #7  

Sorry for this string of messages -- just trying to figure out what's causing the problems. BTW, others in my thread have also reported losing long posts. That got me to thinking that maybe with the last maintenance changes that a forced log off was implemented if activity wasn't detected within a set time frame. I know I used to just stay logged in and when I came back to the site the next day or even 3-4 days later I would still be logged in. Now, even if I don't log off myself, I have been logged off every time I come to the site.

Since my problems are occurring in the 300+ chat thread and since some of those posts can be very long, it made me wonder about the timed forced log off. It seems to only occur when a long post is being written even though I have logged in. When I hit the submit button, it says that I'm not logged in and the post is lost.

I'm assuming that 3FC is using a web site service that charges by the number of users -- more users, more $. To keep expenses within reason, the forced log off was implemented as part of the maintenance. If that's the case, then I can work with that.

Again, sorry for all the posts and questions. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #8  

Yes it does sound like an activity timer was changed. I will look into it! Good sleuthing
Old 03-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #9  

Tech suggests logging off the site, and then logging in with "Remember me" checked.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #10  

Thanks. I'll do that and would appreciate any info you get on if an activity timer has been added. I understand the need for one assuming other things have changed, but it would help to know how long I have.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #11  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

To continue on with this problem... When I come to the site for the first time of the day, I find I am logged off even though I use the "remember me" option. I then use the login in the upper corner to log in. I then go to the Advanced option to write my post. It seems every time I do this and try to submit reply via the advanced option, I get an error that I am not logged in - even though I just logged in recently. And while it might take me 30 minutes to write my post, it's not always that long. I too have taken to copying my post and when I get the error I have found that logging back in and trying again to use the advanced option to resubmit my post gives me more errors. I found that pasting my saved post and using the QUICK REPLY option works just fine.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Just wanted to say that I post a lot, and I have never had any of the problems you have posted about. I log in with the regular login and always us "remember me" and it keeps me logged in almost forever. Rarely do I get kicked out or lose posts. Maybe once a year. I don't know why other are having problems, but it must be a royal pain!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #13  

You must be sure that your browser does not clear cookies automatically. Anything that fools with your cookies will mess with your login too, since it is cookie-based.