Announcements and Forum Help! Requests for help, suggestions, and information. Also includes important Forum Announcements.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default A question about advertisements on this site

Hi,

Is there something new about this web site? I'm talking about advertisements. There seem to be some right on people's posts. I think back along it was said that if you weren't a member ~ just kind of checking out the site, that you would see this kind of thing. But if you were a member and logged in, you wouldn't see advertisements on the posts. There are/have been advertisements at the top of the page and along the side ~ I don't mind those ~ am used to them, but the ones right on the posts hadn't been there until a day or so ago and are kind of annoying.

Just curious.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #2  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I am totally opposed to Jenny Craig ads appearing in my posts. What's with this? I don't want to leave 3FC but this might just push me into it.
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Not a fan of the new style of ads either. I realize (and appreciate) that this site is free to us and it costs money to run it. However, the ads in individual posts is not only distracting but also gives a false impression like we are "promoting" a product or service. Why couldn't things stay as they were with a sidebar ad?

I too liked (and would be willing to support again) paying for an "ad-less" subscription...

Last edited by happy2bme; 02-18-2016 at 12:01 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

Happy ~ I too appreciate that this site has been available to us with no cost and understand the need of advertisements to pay for it. And I agree that the ads in the posts are distracting and don't want others to think I like or support the advertised product.

That being said, I probably wouldn't be able to pay for it to be ad free.

Guess I will just have to accept the change.

I wish there had been some kind of announcement telling about this change.

Last edited by glynne; 02-18-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See Tracker

I was wondering about this. The site was down for maintenance the other day, and when it came back up, the ads were on the posts. The first one I saw, I thought the person posting had linked it, but then saw them appearing in many other posts. I too understand the need for income to maintain the site -- just wish there was a way the ads weren't right in the posts.
KrisM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #6  
Want to feel better

Kris - that is when I noticed it too. I tried to ge on, got the same message you saw, and later when I got on there were the ads - right on people's posts
Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #7  

Hi all -- I am sorry for not announcing the new ad placements ahead of time, that was my fault. I was not expecting them to be as obtrusive as this. I am going to ask that they be modified a bit.

Stay tuned!

Paul
ibobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #8  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hi Paul, can you tell us about the new things that have been added like the friends and groups (I discovered) but what else is new? Thanks

Last edited by love2b150; 02-18-2016 at 04:48 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #9  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I am strongly opposed to advertisements for anything on this site! The Jenny Craig ads are especially obnoxious because they are in motion and because they appear inside of people's postings! I am sufficiently angry about this I may have to leave this forum, which would be very sad, since I have dear friends here whose support is crucial for my continuing to lose weight.

NO MORE ADVERTISEMENTS!!!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #10  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not a fan of the visitor log on profiles. I'll check in on people who I haven't seen around lately, or I'll check archives and go to old, unused profiles of people who had great advice. Now I'm a bit reluctant to do that because it feels...strange, like I left a note saying I was there even when I was just passing by. Not sure if that makes sense...
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny105 View Post
I'm not a fan of the visitor log on profiles. I'll check in on people who I haven't seen around lately, or I'll check archives and go to old, unused profiles of people who had great advice. Now I'm a bit reluctant to do that because it feels...strange, like I left a note saying I was there even when I was just passing by. Not sure if that makes sense...
Penny it makes a lot of sense. I too check on friends to see where they are if I haven't seen them in awhile and it is only me looking up their user name to locate the thread they are on.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny105 View Post
I'll turn it off.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Hi Paul, can you tell us about the new things that have been added like the friends and groups (I discovered) but what else is new? Thanks
There may be a minor change here & there. Essentially it is a slightly newer version of the VB software that runs 3FC. I encourage you to explore and ask about something unfamiliar if it is not obvious what it is/does

In VB, A friendship is a mutual, two-way relationship between two users. It is initiated by one user and accepted by the other.

A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only.

Friends can be invited into groups.

I will advise that these features are not often used, as most people are "grouped" by the forums they frequent.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #14  

Hi. I just wanted to say that if you have to use ads to pay for the site then I understand. Because I cannot afford to pay. Although I know one site that asks for donations. Just a thought. I am grateful to have this community. Even if there have to be ads. AND I really like VBulletin. Its so easy to use.
Edited in: Holy moly, I just posted this and saw a big jenny craig ad that looks like it is part of my post.

Last edited by flower123; 02-20-2016 at 02:07 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123 View Post
Edited in: Holy moly, I just posted this and saw a big jenny craig ad that looks like it is part of my post.
It is only yours as long as you have the last post on a thread. Now it's mine
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote