Alternachicks- daily chat (December )

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks Squeaker!

How are things going with you?
  • Okay...can't do much about my BIG problems right now. But I can concentrate on other things. I went thru my clothes the other day. I have a complete waredrobe in size 18 in bins. I am a 22 now. Changing my goal to get into those 18's by Valentines Day. I do not want these "fat" clothes anymore!
  • Good morning ladies.

Only one more week until Christmas. How is everybody holding up? I have to admit I have it pretty easy this year. We have a rule in my family that we only get gifts for each other if we are going to see each other. Well, we are staying in town this year so it is just my husband and mother-in-law.

I have 3 holiday meals to contend with. Christmas Eve at the MIL's. She usually does food I can take or leave so it will just be the dessert that will be a challenge. I'm fixing Christmas day dinner which I don't have all worked out yet but I know it will be a salad, meat, and veggie sides. My biggest worry is actually Christmas breakfast. My husband loves breakfast. He goes out for breakfast by himself at least once a week. He'll want eggs, sausage, french toast or pancakes, the works. I don't really like eggs, so I think this is going to be my splurge meal for the holidays.

Flower: I love your clothing size goal. What fun to be able to have a new selection of clothes to look forward to.
  • 3 holiday meals will be tricky. I find myself just eatting the meat when I have lots of family gatherings. Or if they were kind enough to put out shrimp platters or veggie platters I can do that. Even when I am not dieting (shhh, don't tell anyone I don't ALWAYS diet, lol ) I don't prepare veggies in butter. I get soooo grossed out seeing them swimming in it at peoples homes.

I have 4 sons, so I get myself a desert and then take a nibble and pass the plate onto them. Occasionally if it is to die for I will eat it all, but rarely is it as good as it looks. Unless I make it and I am trying to stay out of the kitchen except for meals.
  • Hello everyone! Only a few more days to go!

My big challenges is the open house cocktail party that we host on Christmas Eve but since I am the cook I get to control the food!

The menu so far:
    * Disclaimer -I am a lazy hostess so I don't make complicated dishes or appetizers. I also hate serving things that require people to balance plates on their knees and struggle with a knife and fork, sorry Martha Stewart!

cheese/crackers/pate - including low fat and whole wheat crackers
    a fresh fruit and low-fat yogurt dip platter
    an anti-pasto platter (meats, marinated veg, olives etc.)
    a veggie platter with hummous and red pepper dip (home-made)
    pumpernickel bread with low-fat spinach dip (home-made)
    bruschetta appetizers (home-made)
    Sausage rolls (not low fat, but my mum's making them so I'm eating 1 or 2!)
    Biscotti
    low fat sugar cookies
    cherry bun
    Almonds splashed with lemon juice and coarse sea salt
    Unsalted cashews
    Spanish peanuts
    wine, martinis, and a non-alcoholic punch, pop, coffee & tea,
    And of course, some Santa Jubes!

DH is cooking the turkey on Christmas day and I will do the veg, potatoes, stuffing and gravy - all with low fat ingredients. I've done this for ages and no one has noticed the difference.

My mum is making trifle!
  • Just a quick fly by before work -

I think I am coming to Mauvais' house for Christmas Eve!

Things here are good, but crazy. I am trying to get a few things done before the BF & I head home for 10 days on Friday. We are doing our own gifts tomorrow night, so we don't have to pack them. However, I think the BF agreed just because he wants his presents early.
  • Squeaker - come on up if you like!

We had some snow this morning but not much - we not get our white Christmas this year.

Did most of my shopping last night and everything is wrapped and ready to go.

I can't wait for Friday to roll around!
  • Just thought I'd pop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Hope all is good and right in your worlds...
  • Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

• Hope your day is magical!
  • Hello everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Santa was very good to me this year. I got a pair of diamond earrings. That was a complete surprise, not something I was asking for at all. I also got a new gym bag and a yoga mat which I have to say made my Christmas.

Anyone else get surprised with something great?
  • i also got surprised with jewelry. we had decided to do stockings and then give ourselves both $100.00 to get whatever we want with. So after we're done with stockings and opening the little stuff.. my husband brings out a coffee mug full of candy... and then just sits and stares at me. So I give him a piece of the candy thinking that is what he wants, and take a piece for myself when something at the bottom of the mug catches my eye...
    a beautiful amethyst and diamond necklace.

the little sneak! I was very surprised. I thought that those days were over since we got married. *L* And the best gift was when he told me emphatically that I deserved it.
  • What lovely surprises lizziness and spideranne!

We had a busy Christmas of entertaining and visiting but also with a bit of time to ourselves.

We got cash for Christmas so went out shopping yesterday and bought a cd player, a new crockpot, DVD's, accessories for DH's Wii system and some clothes.

I also got some bath stuff for Christmas, some dragon ornaments and yoga lessons (a pass for 10 classes), oh and some books.

My mum was thrilled to bits with the tickets we gave her to see Josh Groban!
  • newcomer in the house!
    Hi everyone! I couldn't resist reading your thread.. anything Alternative is going to catch my attention.

Happy New Year to you all. I'm hoping to get to know everyone better in 2007.

T.
  • Welcome ladyinwhite!

And Happy New Year to all of you too!

Closing this thread to start a January one!