Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default UU info

I was wondering if any of you could give me some first hand info/experiences with a UU church? I've been doing some net searches and I've found a couple churches in my area.....although numbers for the congregation are low(24 in one and 96 in the other). I'm not real sure what to expect......
I've been wanting to take my daughter and stepsons to church, but I'm not defined by most of the churches around here......I have more of an open-mind. But I found out about UU and I'm thinking that this is the one. I tried telling my husband about it, but he didn't seem very interested....he was raised a seventh day adventist, but as far as I can tell NONE of his family follows that, they are more Lutheran then anything......but even there they are lacking in religion. I thought this would be a way for us to connect on that level.....he is more open-minded too, but he also has strong Christian beliefs.
Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #2  
buzzzzzz!

S/C/G: 232/219/140

Height: 5'4"

I went to a UU church once.

From what I can gather, each church is different. The one I went to had a kind of a Christian church feel... not necessarily from what they said, but the format: the pews, a couple of songs that were hymn-like, a sermon, a choir, an organ.

But I heard that another UU church in my area has a more Buddhist feel to it.

I guess it's really one of those things where, since each one has its own unique "flavor," you should visit and see if it's something you like.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #3  
a brave new me...

UU has Judeo-Christian roots but is considered a liberal religion... non-creedal and open to a myriad of beliefs. I would probably not classify them as Christian, but rather open to Christian beliefs and traditions along with other religions and even humanist philosophies. If you are looking specifically for a Christian church this may not be right, however if you consider yourself spiritual or searching or even agnostic then it might be a good fit.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Or even atheist. I've attended UU churches for a while now, and only one (when I visited Baltimore & attended the one there) had a strong Christian feel. The two that I've attended regularly were very open, and even had a fair number of members who considered themselves atheists - which I found very strange at first, but am understanding more as time goes one (I consider myself a pantheist, but if you believe that "god" carries with it a sense of "a specific entity," then I too am an atheist!).
Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

My husband is more Christian, whereas I am more Pagan in beliefs. I thought that UU might be a fit for both of us, but we live in a primary Christian community and I don't know how accepting the UU churches will be in our area. If they are true to the UU principles, though, maybe it will work out. I haven't had a chance to talk to hubby again about it, he was just not receptive last night. Hoping to get a chance to tonight.
Thanks everyone. Keep the experiences coming if you want to share, I'll probably have DH have a look.
Closed Thread