Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Alternachick chat - September 2006

Wow! I can't believe September is here already - where did the time go?

I love the fall though and I'm looking forward to leather jacket weather, fuzzy sweaters, home made soup, hot chocolate, and curling up with a blanket and a good book!

I'm off to Toronto this weekend to work at a horror/sci-fi/anime convention. This time I get to be a booth-babe and sell merchandise rather than working at the badge registration desk. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #2  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Brrr - been cold here in the AM even though another heat wave is coming - should be above 90 this weekend and in high 80's all next week but quite nippy at night.

I am so excited about this backpacking trip - first 2 nighter, first time camping without my husband (since we have been together) and my first overnight campout with my friend Mary. Although we sorta camped in my old room when she came with me to visit the parents - that was a hoot - staying up late and talking - felt like the good old days before marriage and 9pm bedtimes. LOL

WI- tomorrow - fingers crossed!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

It sure has been cold in the mornings, huh? Yesterday i was cold all day. I need to go shopping for some more pants. Brr!
Yesterday I got off work and when I went outside it smelled like fall. It was nice.
Got my tix for Flogging Molly. Also secured my tix and lodging for the Celtic Music Festival this year. Can't wait for that, even though it's in November...
No plans really for this weekend. One sis in law turns 21, the other is leaving for Fl for 6 months... hopefully this'll be the last time we have to get together til Thanksgiving or Xmas...
I have a weigh in tonight, or tomorrow morning... hubby and I have been challenging each other, we get a buck for ever lb we lose each month. What a motivator!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Mauvaisroux, can you give me the info on the SF convention? My husband is going to Toronto this weekend to work at the auto races, and I was thinking about going along, but then when I saw the weather forecast, didn't know what I'd do with myself all day. But it's been a long time since I've been to a con!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #5  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

Fall's my favorite too...I'm excited!
and I'm feeling more at ease about my habits, though i know i have a ways to go in improving them...but the stress of worrying about it isn't going to help so why worry...

i want to ask...i eat small meals/snacks regularly through the day...i'm fine all day...but then a few hours before bed i just go crazy hungry and eat all kinds of stuff...is this common and has anyone figured out ways to help it?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #6  

i have that same problem, ferret. drinking water does help... although with me that means anywhere between 1 and 5 times of getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. heh. sucks to be me.

I've heard people putting tape across the doorway of their kitchen to keep them out... having something small and satisfying... which does seem to help. hubby and i buy a good organic high quality chocolate, eat a square or two, letting it melt in our mouths... and that seems to help for satisfaction of craving. it is sugar, which isn't okay for everyone's diets.. but it sure helps us keep on track. we don't feel deprived... and since we only eat a little piece, we can spend like 3 or 4 bucks on a good piece of chocolate and eat a bit of it every night.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #7  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

excellent idea, thank you
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #8  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Default Fish Lake

Hiking was fantastic! It was about 2 miles in from the trail head to the lake.

Going in was mostly down so at least you had time to eat and drink away some weight before hiking out (maybe 5 lbs). But the trail was fairly diverse and the few steep stretches (heart attack hills I call them - with the pack) were pretty short and we stop as often as needed, plus we go slow enough to look around and water the dogs but it still only took us 1 hr and 40 mins to hike out. It took just under an hour to get in. Going in I took a bit of video and several moments from our camp.

Sat we blazed a trail around the lake. I would have to look it up, but with the amount of weaving we had to do to avoid going swimming before we were ready, I would say it was an easy 5 miles around the lake maybe more. There is a partial trail in places, but not all the way so we followed an old game trail and did a lot of ducking and weaving around windfalls and climbed logs and then stopped for lunch directly across from our camp - it was cool because without a raft it was pretty difficult terrain and brushy so very few people had been to that spot.

I traversed places that - had it not been so brushey - I would never have done otherwise. Narrow steep game trails that suddenly end or go off the side of a hill/bank. Places I had to sit down or get on my knees to not fall. But I had a good walking stick and 4 wheel drive hiking shoes. HAHA

From our camp we had a perfect view of High Rock. Sat morning a family of otters came over to our side of the lake to fish. Lots of fish jumping and deer coming in at night to drink. Refilled our water from the spring and cooked over the fire. Chili, Stew and oatmeal - things that can be boiled or made with hot water since our cooking gear was a kettle and coffee pot and fire grill.

Fish lake Trailhead is 1.5 hrs from Days Creek. Heading east toward Crater Lake.

We swam and watched the sun set and rise. The moon, though only 1/2 was so bright that the trees cast a shadow. And it was just me and my friend Mary. Two woman, armed with 2 large dogs. Mary grew up here and goes there all the time and all over that wilderness area and most times alone with just her dog. It is cool because she knows all the land marks and has lots of memories of her past adventures - it is like being with a guide.

Anyway - it was so worth the sore muscles and scratches and skitter bites. And every time I go, it gets less difficult - the trails are always difficult, some more than others, but my pack gets easier to load and unload and wearing it just right makes it almost not there. Almost. LOL
Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 AM   #9  

pj - we're pretty lucky to live in oregon. lots of cool places to hike and explore. sadly, i can't really say i've been to any of them. we're just not that adventurous, and any time i want to - hubby doesn't. he doesn't so much like being outside or in nature. i don't really get it, other than maybe because he's so pale that he sun burns at the drop of a hat.
anyway maybe some day i'll have a car and license and i'll just up and go exploring....
i miss washington, but i'm sure there are greener places in oregon that i just haven't found yet.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #10  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Hey Lizz - yes we are quite fortunate to live here.

Until you get your license, try checking out some hiking, backpacking, camping with your dog, type websites in Oregon and find yourself a buddy near Eugene that goes all the time, or even some organized group hikes where you show up; with your gear and a bus takes you to the trailhead.

My friend Mary has been going alone and with friends/family all her life, but it would be hard for me to go alone unless to a spot I had already been with someone else. And since I cant recall ever sleeping outside, even in my yard, alone - ever. Weird since I tend to be a loner most the time.

But if the only way to get to do something you love, is to do it alone, then go!

Just be safe, remember to research the area and terrain and provide family with maps of where you plan to go. And remember that wildlife (bears and big cats) are only part of the risk. Though Mary has never had a problem with human animals, or wild for that matter, she always carries a gun, as do I when we go. Wild animals would prefer your lunch to you in most cases.

Anyway - it is worth it and I only wish I had developed a love for it sooner as well as wishing for more weekends in a year. LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #11  

Su_Bee, sorry I didn't see your post until now

It was a fun weekend although I was working and didn't get to see much of the convention. I ran into some friends there and a few exhibitors that I knew from other conventions.

On Saturday night we went to a nice steakhouse to treat ourselves to a really good meal - we really needed after working for almost 10 hours straight.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

No problem. I ended up not going to Toronto as nothing to do there - my weekend was boring as **** - but SUCCESS is that I did not respond to boredom & loneliness by overeating!!! Go me!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #13  

Way to go Su_Bee!

I've got to get my butt in gear this weekend and clean out my closet. The Cerebral Palsy foundation called last week and they are looking for clothes for their funding drive - they are coming to pick up on Monday so I have to get the clothes dug out or else!

On Saturday we are going to dinner featuring Turkey and all the trimmings - uhg! I've been so used to eating vegetarian for the last month or so that the prospect of a turkey dinner is not very appealing. I'm trying to figure out what to bring - dessert or a side of veggies -
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Fall's my favorite too...I'm excited!
and I'm feeling more at ease about my habits, though i know i have a ways to go in improving them...but the stress of worrying about it isn't going to help so why worry...

i want to ask...i eat small meals/snacks regularly through the day...i'm fine all day...but then a few hours before bed i just go crazy hungry and eat all kinds of stuff...is this common and has anyone figured out ways to help it?
Hello
I have the same problem It is really frustrating. Ive been to see my dr who has diagnosed me with binge eating disorder, its just like a form of bulimia but without making oneself sick. My dr has referred me to a support group for people with eating disorders, but it doesnt start for a couple of months. Now I have the motivation because of my forthcoming handfasting, but once thats done and dusted, Im scared of falling back into my old ways.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #15  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

A few hours? How long after your last feeding do you expect yourself to go? Then sleep too?

I love to eat at night and know I am going to eat so I just plan for it. For me it is all about the days total and I have even read recently that when we eat has no effect on our weight as much as what we eat and how much. (see top diet myths). Granted the big bowl of pasta and meat sauce at bedtime is a guaranteed heart burn and indigestion fest but a small bowl of frosted shredded wheat is just right.

If you have just a small bowl it is under 240 cal with 1% milk and cures any sweet tooth. Shredded wheat is high fiber and iron. Does wonders for the digestive tract also. Or whatever your pleasure. I typically eat my last meal/snack around 8 depending on how late I plan to be up.(within 1-2 hrs of sleep)

That is what I do.

Last edited by ajandpj99; 09-19-2006 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling & Accuracy
Closed Thread