Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Watched The Big Bounce yesterday - meh, it was okay but I found it pretty predictable and not as funny as I hoped. Owen Wilson was his usual self, he always plays the same type of roles. I think I would like to see him in something dark and dramatic so he does something completely opposite for a change.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #2  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

i agree that would be nice
Old 09-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #3  

We watched Sin City last night... Not my favorite. The stylization really bothered me, although I admire the faithfulness to the look of the comics. Mostly it was the violence and the fact that all the women in the movie were either victims or whores.

I did like the idea of Elijah Wood as a soul cannibal, though. Talk about escaping typecasting...
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #4  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

I want to see the Dukes of Hazzard movie if it's still in the theaters. The big AMC complex has sugar free candy at the snack bar so I can eat it. Think I'll need to forgo the popcorn though if I want to make my weight goal this month. I always gain when I go to the movies.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #5  
low-carb forever!

>I did like the idea of Elijah Wood as a soul cannibal, though. Talk about escaping typecasting...<

OMG. I liked him better as Frodo. I'm a huge LotR fan. I have three posters on my walls, and two pieces of jewelry (the one ring and Arwen's necklace).
Old 09-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #6  
Kaipo &quot;Sweetheart&quot;

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Sin City was a joke - it seemed like a rip off of pulp fiction only not half as good. I watched it without hubby and told him he wouldnt like it. The only part I liked was the girl gang - and yeah Elija as a demon was different.

I dont mind the gore and all that or even a story that works backward - but it just was missing something.

We watch Cellular the other night - that was very good and I watched AVP last night - it wasnt bad - and of course the door was left open for a sequel at the end.

Not sure what is next - I will have to check my list at BB.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #7  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

i was kind of wondering...my parents said it was weak...so andy and i haven't rented it yet
Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #8  

I think if you are a big Frank Miller fan, a fan of the original Sin City comics, or just a big comic geek in general, you might get something out of just for the novelty of seeing a comic brought to the screen with such faithful rendering. Or at least that's the vibe I got from all the comic geeks/Frank Miller fans I know.

I am a semi-comic geek, but that was outweighed by my movie snobbery so I didn't like it very much.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #9  
low-carb forever!

Thumbs up

Was supposed to see The Dukes of Hazzard today, but it's left the theater. I didn't go all that way for nothing, so I saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Very cool. I liked it, then researched on Google until I found the true story is was based on (a case from the 1970s in Germany).

I blogged it I was so impressed:
http://stumblingtobethlehem.blogspot...mily-rose.html

Last edited by FatVictoria; 09-10-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:10 AM   #10  

So far this weekend it was the Stepford Wives - eh - it was ok - not half as good as the first - but I always like Nicole Kidman and it had lots of big names - entertaining - but the plot was a bit confusing - I still dont know if they were robots or not - almost like the brains were put into robot bodies? Anyone else see it? What was your take?

Last night we saw The Village - I had heard mixed reviews about this movie - but I liked it - and it had some nice twists and turns.

Tonight I am watching the Anchorman - hope it is as funny as everyone says.

Side note to Harry Potter buffs - I recently decided to take up the books having seen the movies. I am now on book 3 - Askaban - I need to know what order the next 3 are in? I know blood prince is last, I need #4 and #5 so I can researve at the library in the right order. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #11  

PJ: It's HP and the Goblet of Fire, and then HP and the Order of the Phoenix.
Heh , heh, I just did the same thing with Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.. I was up to book 4, then ordered all used library hardbacks through Amazon.. got the last 3 for less than 40 dollars.

Saw the Skeleton Key the other night: Meah... Kinda figured it out within the first half hour or so. And seems to me that if it all took place in the Bayou with native folks they woulda had some sort of southern accent..

Didn't like Sin City at all..

The Cave Sux...don't even rent it.
Interested in seeing that Emily Rose movie.. looks a bit scary as well a interesting court room thriller...
Old 09-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #12  

I hope that Sin City is not too bad as I just rented it yesterday & have not gotten around to watching it. We watched The Door In the Floor the other evening, my bf sort of liked it, I really liked it & can't wait to read the novel. Apparently the movie is only made from the first 1/3rd of the book as the book is too long to adapt well if they did the whole thing.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #13  

Dawn, let us know what you think of Sin City.

I am intrigued and somewhat skeptical of Emily Rose. It could be really scary or it could be really lame, but it's playing at the cheap theater nearby, so I might go see with my a friend this week.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #14  

Ok - watched the Village and Anchorman this weekend.

The Village was great - I had heard some bad reviews (which usually means I will like it) - it was different - and I didnt guess the end - and I jumped more than once which is rare now days cause I usually see it coming. Good flick.

Anchorman was less great - it did have its funny parts mostly toward the end - but it was just kinda corny - I get that it was supposed to be corny - making fun of the 70's news people - but I sat there watching it thinking that DH would be glad he missed it. - Oh well - they can't all be ROTFLMAO.

Next up is Hellboy - we'll see if it is just a knock off of Van Helsing.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

Went and saw "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" on Saturday. I found it interesting but a bit disappointing too. It was marketed kind of as a scary movie, and it turned out to be more of a courtroom drama instead. It was alright though. In reading about the real incident, I was disappointed with the facts that they decided to stray from in the movie. Also, as per the usual luck of me and my husband and thanks to the PG-13 rating and being a weekend, the place was full of teenagers and they were all talking and playing with their cell phones.
I think this time, being the third in the last year (and we do not go out that often either!) is the one that put the final nail in the coffin for us. From now on, we're only going to go to the late showings on a weekday and hope we don't have to roll any drunks. So rediculous that we live in a town that is not that big, and it's not like Jersey or New York where one might excpect the stereotypically rude people, but aparently they are everywhere - or at least in our theater. Sigh.
I can't think of anything I need to see so badly that I can't wait for it to come out on DVD or for my hubby to dl. Just not worth it.
Anyway, we did rent a DVD of standup from Robin Williams that was pretty much hilarious, a little dated as it was from 2002, but it was good.

I can not wait til Serenity comes out. That one I will pay for and tolerate the bafoons and babies to watch. We are counting down the days.
Closed Thread