Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Lightbulb Winter book list

Well it's that time of year where after being out for a brisk walk the need for a blankie, hot chocolate and a good book to cozy up with arises.

Any one get any books for Christmas? or are you like me and have a stack of "get around to reading someday" books on your bedside table?

I got " Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett which I will start on this afternoon
Old 01-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #2  

My husband is a Terry Pratchett addict and we've had a number of "incidents" when he is reading in bed and laughing so hard that he wakes me up. I guess I better read them too so I can see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #3  

I got a few for my Birthday. I had read them before but lost them in a move. I like them myself but it is more a man's thing - all sorts of weirdy beardy types really like his stuff. I like the character DEATH a lot. Oh and the Wyrd Sisters too.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #4  

Dinahgirl - I had to stop reading them on the bus as I would laugh out loud and then people would think I was a freak -too bad that didn't stop them from sitting with me I hate public transport but have to take it to get to work

Peacock - I love the D E A T H character and the suitcase with legs and gnashing teeth . The humour in Pratchett's books makes me think of Fantasy meets Monty Python
Old 01-04-2006, 03:59 AM   #5  

Aah! Yes! Luggage! One of my faves!

D E A T H is my number one though. I love it when wizards try to hide in places and all of a sudden they hear "IT'S DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?"

wONDERFUL!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #6  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I think I am going to have to try Terry Pratchett again. I tried reading Hogfather a while back, and just couldn't get into it. I didn't dislike it, just wasn't grabbing me at the time.

I did finish all 3 of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books. I LOVED them! I highly recommend them. They were very sweet and easy reads.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #7  

Squeaker - I suggest you start with the first book of the Discworld series - The Colour of Magic. All of the books can stand on their own as they are all separate stories featuring recurring characters as opposed to a continuing saga.

The Colour of Magic is a fun read and you meet a lot of the characters who show up in later books - I think the other books would make more sense if you already new some of the characters.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #8  
Take A Bite..I dare ya!

I love Terry Prachett (can't spell for the life of me though). But I have been on a major High Fantasy kick for some reason. I just got done ploughing through "The Wheel of Time" Series...I would highly recommend this series. I tend to not want to read bocks that people say are a "must read" so it took me years to pick up these books and I am regretting that now. LOL

and I have the omibus The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelzany sitting next to my chair. 1-10 in one book. I love Omibuses. Can't wait to start these.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #9  

Juat finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere - really enjoyed it I got American Gods for Christmas so I will read that after I have finished Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

I've had that book for some time, read about 1/2 of it then misplaced and found it the other day with the book mark still in it So I will finish that off and then start Going Postal next week.

Who is the author of the Wheel of Time series - I would be interested in reading them. I mostly read Scifi and Fantasy as well as theology/spiritual books for fun - a break from law books, technical manuals and books for research
Old 01-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #10  
Take A Bite..I dare ya!

Default !

The author of WOT is Robert Jordan. The first book is The Eye of the World I was really impressed and it had me hooked from the prolouge and very rarely are those that interesting.

Another seris I love is The Sword of Truth series by Terry GoodKind...the first book is Wizard's First Rule

I have read American Gods...loved that book. I hope you enjoy it
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #11  
tch'd by his noodly appdg

I'm just jumping right in, cause this seems like my kind of place!

American Gods is one of my favorites! I recently read Anansi Boys, and really enjoyed that, too. I love Gaiman's writing. Haven't been able to get that much into Terry Pratchett, but have enjoyed what I have read well enough. Husband person really likes him. But one of the best books I've read was Good Omens, by Gaiman and Pratchett. Very good, funny stuff.

Right now I am reading An Anthropologist on Mars, by Oliver Sacks, and it's fascinating! I find neurological disorders really interesting and this book is a great read.
I'm going to embark on Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson soon. That should take a good while to get through.

R.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #12  
Take A Bite..I dare ya!

ooooooooo I love your baby cathullu icon (sorry mis-spelling is second nature to me.)

I loved Good Omens...and I have been teased for years about the possiblity of them coming out with a movie...But after watching Harry Potter on the big screan...I think that might actually be a good thing they have not come out with a movie yet.

I have not read Anastasi boys yet...i have a very small library so m ost of the books I want have to be lent from other places...but it is def. on my reading list.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #13  

Thanks for the info on those books Rotten Apple!

Love the baby Cthulhu too! I have a stuffed one at home
Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #14  
tch'd by his noodly appdg

I stopped reading the WoT series a couple of books back. I was really into them. I think the MULTITUDE of story lines, and the lack of character development of a couple of the characters, and having to wait so long between books with so much going on, and forgetting what was what led me to just giving up. I might have to try getting into them again..

Any signs that the series is coming to it's conclusion?

OT:

On the cthulhu thing: the first year my now dh and I were dating, (3 years ago) for Valentine's Day he got me a plush cthulhu. Then about a year and a half ago, my then 5 year old son had a nightmare one night, and he was afraid to go back sleep, so we gave him cthulhu and told him that of course he would protect him from bad dreams, and anyone would have to be foolish to mess with cthulhu! And for the last year and a half, my son has slept with him every night

So last year for my birthday, dh got me the cthulhu slippers (oh my, they're warm!), and then for Cephelopodmas (it's like Christmas, with more tentacles), a couple of our really good friends got us the cthulhu handpuppet, which is now our Christmas tree topper
Oh, and dh's groom's cake was, of course, a red velvet cthulhu cake
Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #15  

That's pretty funny!

We have the cthulhu version of the Christian fish on our car - not sure if too many people get it though I've seen a few Darwin ones around too.

Regarding your comment on tthe WOT books - I felt the same way about Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Too long a wait time between books they seemed to not be as interesting as the first one so I gave up on them.
Closed Thread