In My Life

• In honor of John Lennon who was killed 25 years ago today.

There are places I'll remember
    All my life though some have changed
    Some forever not for better
    Some have gone and some remain
    All these places have their moments
    With lovers and friends I still can recall
    Some are dead and some are living
    In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
    There is no one compares with you
    And these memories lose their meaning
    When I think of love as something new
    Though I know I'll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I'll often stop and think about them
    In my life I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I'll often stop and think about them
  • I was waiting for the bus when I heard abouy it, on my way to college. What a loss.

Weird trivia: Does anyone know the connection between John Lennon's death and the movie Rosemary's Baby?

Rosemary's Baby, which was directed by Roman Polanski, was filmed in the Dakota Hotel in NYC. Polanski was married to Sharon Tate. Tate was murdered by the Manson family, and her killers scrawled the words Helter Skelter on the wall in the victims' blood. Helter Skelter was a Beatles song. John Lennon was a Beatle and was killed outside of the Dakota Hotel. (I'm not sure, but I think he was living there at the time.)

Isn't that weird?
  • Yup, he was living there. Yoko still does.

I had only turned 3 yrs old 3 days before, so I am not sure what I was doing, but I am pretty sure I had no clue. It has a bigger effect on me now.
  • I remember that day. I was in Grade 8 and a lot of people were really upset and crying at school that day.

I remember that song that Elton John wrote after John Lennon's death - Empty Garden - it makes me sad when I hear it
  • That song is definitely heart wrenching.

So is realizing that I am probably the oldest person on this board! In college when Lennon was killed - and everyone else was either still in diapers or not far from it!
  • NOPE! I was in college too. I'd been studying at the library with a friend and was in a GREAT mood. Came back to the house and found out that a friend's step sister had been raped. While we were bumming about THAT, my sweetie called to tell us that Lennon had been shot. Sweetie (now DH) and I stillmiss him. There are a few songs (mostly off of Double Fantasy) that I couldn't listen to without crying for a LONG time.

Maggie-I'm 47, so are you still the oldest or do I get that dubious honor?!?
  • When my best friend was asked out by her now husband (Mark), nobody in our "crowd" knew him except one friend who said "I went to jr. high with him, he cried the day John Lennon died."

I absolutely adore Mark now and it may have something to do with a 12 yr old boy not being ashamed to cry when Lennon died.