Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #1  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Talking Alternachic DECEMBER Chat!

Hey Ladies! I realized yesterday as I was posting that we didnt have a new chat thread started yet for December. So here it is.

Happy Sunday everybody!

Old 12-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HAPPY DECEMBER!!

Had to chime in on the "Why are you so fat?!?" thread...

ALL THE BETTER TO KICK YOUR BUTT!!!

WHY do people act so ignorant/mean? They MAY mean well, but they just make it harder.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #3  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Welcome Sine! Sorry about the conversation with your MIL. Even if it is meant well, it isn't very nice - unless you actually solicit the advice.

I hate when people give me advice about my weight. I know I am overweight and I actually know how to fix it. I just haven't for various reasons. I know eating donuts will make me bigger. *duh* I just like the little suckers. But I am working on it.

Not much new to report. Just trying to have a quiet day at work. Going out for dinner with my family later, which I do intend on enjoying. I plan on finishing my Christmas shopping this week. And get the presents I am making done by next week! One I have been working on for over 3 years. It was suppose to be done not long after my nephew was born. It may really be finished soon.

Have a wonderful day Chicks!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #4  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Ack... holiday shopping! I started out good by picking up a few things the night before Thanksgiving but then I got cocky and now all of a sudden it's so close! My daughter poses a special challenge this year. She's living in Georiga, on a nine-month volunteer stint with Habitat for Humanity. She'll be home for Christmas, but she really won't be able to take a lot of stuff back with her, since she's flying. I got her a camera, which she asked for. And I might get her some other little things like some cheap jewelry (she loves it), but beyond that I don't want to saddle her with a bunch of stuff she won't be home to use. I was thinking I would just start sending her gifts a day at a time once she gets back down there. She'd get a kick out of that. She doesn't know it, but I found a box of 500 Glo-Sticks for a ridiculously cheap-o price on an online auction site and am going to send them to her. She'll be giddy with excitement over that!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I've had to pare down my gift knitting because I'm running out of time too. If I can just finish the socks for my Dad and crank out a few more chenille washcloths I'll be happy. Of course I still don't know when/where & with who we're doing Solstice this year. Man have I let the end of the year get away from me!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #6  
llama dolly

tani, you knit? i just re-started a couple of months ago. i'm nowhere near as good as my friend (one friend won the best of show in knitting at the virginia state fair -- i don't even want her to see anything i knit).

maggie -- wow, i admire your daughter. habitat is a great organization. the idea of sending her cool stuff on a regular basis is really nifty.

everyone: thanks for letting me know that i wasn't weird to be embarrassed and a little angry at her. it does really suck when people give unsolicited weight-loss advice. it's not like they go around saying "wow, you have terrible acne! here's what you should do." or maybe they do. you can't underestimate how clueless humans can be.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Whew! Lot's to catch up on here. I've been a bit scarce as I've been really busy at work this past couple of weeks and then just coming home and crashing out after dinner.

Speaking of unsolicited advice - I once had a boss at a clothing store I worked at tell me in front of the other staff that I needed to lose some weight! I must have turned beet red!

I think I was too shocked to say anything and she was old enough to be my grandma so I was too polite too. The ridiculous thing about it was that she was bigger than me and her daughter was twice my size! Hmmph!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine nomine
it's not like they go around saying "wow, you have terrible acne! here's what you should do." or maybe they do. you can't underestimate how clueless humans can be.
I was blessed with absolutely beautiful skin. My sister was blessed with a perfect figure and absolutely terrible skin. One day, I picked her up at Home Depot (where she works) and she was crying. Apparently, she was helping a customer and they looked at her intently as if they were contemplating her recommendations for paint then the customer said, "You know, my husband's sister has a wonderful dermatologist that helped her clear up her acne. I should give you her name." Amanda was floored. She said it took everything in her not to burst out into tears right then. I said, "I know exactly how you feel." Which brought on a new set of tears and she said, "How could you?! You have perfect skin." I told her I get weightloss advice everyday and she was flabbergasted. She couldn't believe that people would give me advice about my weight. Amazing, isn't it?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

Oh man Jessica, people are just clueless all over aren't they!? The mind wobbles.

Sine nomine, I'm a knitting evangelist I'm always trying to get other people to pick it up. My current convert in progress is my Mom.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

having worked at call centers the past going on three years, I've learned a few things about how rude people can be. They don't care! I had one guy tell me he didn't know how my husband could stand the sound of my voice. first off, assuming i'm married, secondly insulting me. All I could think of to say was "I don't know either, sir" what else could I say that wouldn't get me fired? *LOL*

I have had people hit on me, I've had mutliple people tell me I should work for a 900 line because my voice is so pleasant (ew), I've had people demand to speak to a man because I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about, and I even had one nutter tell me I was going against god and had already been judged by him and was going to ****. *LOL* (I'm so not counting the many times I've been cursed at, called names, been told I'm stupid, etc).
But then, you get some amazing people, on the flipside I've had people send me thank you cards, gift certificates, and gifts just for helping them. I guess there's all different kinds of people out there... it's just hard to find the good ones.*LOL*
I like to say I'm a freak magnet. I appear to be approachable, I guess. Non threatening or something. People in stores that I'm shopping in always ask me for help- I so don't work there, leave me alone!

On the upside, christmas is coming, most of my shopping is done, I'm happy to be giving my best friend a big surprise this year for xmas and i'm pretty well organized for hosting the huge family get together for my hubby's family. Even already ordered my main dishes (so not cooking!)
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 AM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness
People in stores that I'm shopping in always ask me for help- I so don't work there, leave me alone!
I made the mistake of wearing a red shirt and khakis to Target once. I wasn't even paying attention until one woman (who obviously had been chasing me around the store trying to get my attention) said, "Well, are you on break or just an idiot who is ignoring me?" I said, "Excuse me? I don't work here." and she replied, "Oh, you have some nerve pretending to work here." and stormed off. L-U-N-A-T-I-C.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #12  
geeky pagan chick

Jessica, !! I've had people mistake me for a store employee before, especially when I was younger. It seemed to happen when I had my wallet in a pocket rather than carrying a purse. I've never had anyone accuse me of trying to impersonate an employee though! That's hilarious.

I had a really nice weekend. I got quite a few people crossed off my holiday shopping list and found that slinky New Years dress I'd been wanting. (at 60% off even, w00t) I even posted a picture of it over in Success Stories, teehee.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #13  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Too funny!!! I've had people think I work at different stores too. Mostly people "borrow" my hubby to reach stuff off the top shelf at the grocery store! I find him quite handy for that too!!! (I'm 4' 11")
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #14  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Den - I get that alot at my grocery store - I am 5'10" and this store is basically a big werehouse with really tall racks. So every little old ladie and man in a wheelchair or under 5'5" will be standing there staring up at what they want and as I walk by I know they want to ask and some do and some I have to offer - but it is so funny to me when I reach whatever it was without standing on my tip toes.

I don't mind it too much. No one ever accused me of impersinating an employee before though. I have had people ask if I work there and I say no but I bet I can help you since I shop here all the time.

I would die if someone followed me around and then confronted me - I might just have to whirl around and say "where do you get off stalking me? Huh? Maybe I should call security - you deranged Target shopper you"
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #15  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Jessica - what a weirdo!

I usually get asked questions in department store - I guess because I am dressed up they think I work there. The sad thing is that I usually can tell them where to find the item they are looking for
Closed Thread