Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #61  
Pending Email Confirmation

wow, squeak, you're on a marathon, or haven't posted in a while. I liked Bringing out the Dead, but found it very upsetting. I don't know why. some movies just affect you for what appears to be no reason. I actually love Nick cage - except for the movie Adaptation, which my hubby loved but i loathed.

And I will watch anything with Kevin Spacey in it, hadn't heard of Beyond the Sea, I'll have to check it out. So far my favorite of his is "The Shipping News" it's just a great movie, although the book was a bit better.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #62  

Height: 5'-2"

Geez, Squeak. Don't you have to work or anything?
You don't like Nicolas Cage? Have you seen Matchstick Man?

Lizzi, I loved The Shipping News, too. I prefered the book, but I thought they did a good job with the movie. I love Judy Dench, too.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #63  

I think Squeaker is our Siskel n Ebert "Critic" of the month!
I really detest Nicolas Cage..don't know why..so I tend to shy away from any movie he is in...
Bring out the Dead was a good book...and is well a pretty good depiction of some EMT/Paramedics...
Old 07-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #64  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I watched those in the last 3 weeks, 2 of which were vacation weeks. I also belong to one of the online movies-in-the-mail deals, so I get a lot of movies. I know we also watched the Graduate, 2 of the Star Trek movies, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I loved the Shipping News. I have the book, but haven't read it yet. Beyond the Sea is about Bobby Darrin.

I can't stand Nicolas Cage. For some reason he just annoys me.

I would rather go to work then see Adaptation again. The boy liked it a lot so I got it for him. We watched it once - never again.

Haven't seen Matchstick Men. Is it good Ellis?

Oh and I watched National Treasure - that one I liked too, even with Cage. It was a fun, interesting movie. I was surprised I liked it.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #65  

Okay, you already said you don't like Nicolas Cage, Squeak.
Yes, I really like Matchstick Man. I'm fascinated by people with disorders. Probably because I'm crazy myself.
I saw National Treasure, too. It was pretty good. I like that there was no sex in it.
I hate sex in a movie. It irritates the **** out of me. I mean, it's not like we've never done it before! Is it just for people who aren't getting any?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #66  
Cute & Fluffy

Maybe Ellis, since I am not getting any most of the time. I have seen a number of movies where sex is a central theme (Secretary, Velvet Goldmind, Young Adam, Closer, Fatal Attraction etc.) and I have liked them. Most of the time I think if it is done well, it doesn't hurt, and can help the movie.

I will have to check out Matchstick Men.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #67  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I hate when the sex scene or romance has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. For me it feels like a cheap add on to try to draw women in or please women who go to the film with their boyfriend or husband. For me it interrupts the flow of the movie especially in science fiction films - get back to the freaking story already!

One recent example of this was the horrible long, boring and completely unbelievable sex scene in the second Matrix film - it went on forever, the two actors has zero chemistry and then the intermittent scenes of the giant tribal rave mad the whole thing painful to watch.

However if it is properly written, part of the actual plot and fits in with the flow of the story then that is fine.

Personally I found movies like Last Tango in Paris and 9 1/2 weeks boring just very sensationalistic, not very well written and the sex scenes not very good. I really didn't find them that shocking, allthough seeing a flabby naked Marlon Brando was rather disturbing
Old 07-17-2005, 05:07 PM   #68  

Here Here Mauv, Squeak and Ellis.. I agree...when I think about it , it's rare that a sex scene 'adds' to the story or character development..most time it just seems to be thrown in to titilate (sp) the masses at best... except for The Graduate or Fatal Attraction where its kinda core to the story line..

Anywhooo, I tried, I reallly tried to watch Matchstick Men... was heartened to see Whatshisname Rockwell, play Cage's partner.(I liked him in Green Mile and Galaxy Quest). But, I just couldn't watch it all the way thru...gave up at the point where he decided to go for the 'long con' and the daughter slept over and pulled the bull dogs head off...oh well, A for effort...

well it's thundering here..no doubt the Dish TV will go out... and all the DVDS are packed away... ho hum...

Last edited by Schatzi; 07-17-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #69  

We just saw a CBC production of a film about the Canadian Snowbirds. (the planes/pilots) It was very cool, and made me appreciate them even more.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #70  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Mauv,

I have to agree with you. Although I didn't find Sideways phenominal, I was pleasantly suprised when the "sex scene" was enter in the door where we all know what would happen and end scene. Yay!

I recently rented "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Great old scifi movie. I also rented "7 up" and "7 up plus" which was a documentary done in the 50's about 20 children in england. Interesting.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #71  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

1/2 watched Ocean's 12 this afternoon, DH liked it but I found it boring I didn't like the first one either, well the remake of the first one

We also watched Seed of Chucky on Saturday night - some parts were really funny but others were just riduculous and/or really gross! I love horror movies but I prefer suspenseful ones over slash/hack ones. Though I enjoyed seeing John Waters in a cameo appearance
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #72  

We just watched SAW... It was a very good Horror/Who Done it.. but Cary Ewles acting was soooo hammy.. I would catch myself saying "is he for real" .... It took me a minute to even recognize that he is the same Cary that played in The Princess Bride...."Inconceivable!"
Old 07-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #73  
Cute & Fluffy

My weekend catch up post -
I did watch Coach Carter - I really enjoyed it. Samuel L Jackson always kicks butt.

White Noise - It was building up to something good, but not such a good ending. I thought I had missed a plot point or something...

In Good Company - I really liked this one. It was a laugh out loud funny movie like I thought it was suppose to be. But a very cute, sweet, fun movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rocked! I loved it. I adore Johnny Depp & Tim Burton. It was a silly movie, but very entertaining.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #74  
Pending Email Confirmation

we loved Saw. i couldn't stand white noise - like you i left i was missing something and then it ended horribly.

can't wait for charlie. also want to see deep water and the island looks great. i can not wait for serenity to come out. we loved the series firefly so much, we bought it on DVD, but it's missing a conclusion. i hope the movie is a gateway to pick up the series again.

just finished watching "dead like me" series and am thoroughly disappointed that it will not be renewed. very sad.

Cursed is on it's way via netflix and also a movie called 25th hour with ed norton. also have empire of the sun and all the little animals waiting (gotta get my christian bale fix). hopefully when we're done with the moving process i'll have time to watch something!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #75  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Wow - you all have seen some movies - I wont list every movie I have ever seen that would take a year and a day - so I will stick with recent;

Star Wars Revenge of SITH - as a star wars fan, of course I loved it - and it was better than 1 and 2 giving a lot more information and back story on Darth Vader - it is a love story - wierd huh?

Lemony Snickets - really liked - but the tape was messed up so I havent seen the end - will rend again soon.

What the Bleep do we know? - this documentary about Quantum Physics was a bit slow and talkie but I really liked what they were saying and the special effects used to illustrate their theories were cool. Ever hear a theory and go - yeah - that is what I have always beleived but couldnt put into words? The best part about the film is it doesnt dispute any beleif, it just expands on them. Very cool.

We rented SAW a while back - I liked it, but I like suspense and I thought the ended was a nice surprise since I like to try to guess the end and I like it when I am wrong - means the movie wasnt predictable.

I would love to see War of the Worlds and Wonka, but will wait for video since nearest theater is 35 miles away.

There are a lot of movies that I want to see and cant ever recall names until I go to the video store - thinking of joining netflix or blockbuster online - any members of those groups think it is worth it or no?
Closed Thread