Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #136  

Height: 5'-2"

That's funny... I really like Christopher Walken and Willem Dafoe, too, Mauvais. There's something about them...

Steve Martin was surprisingly sexy, Den.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:37 AM   #137  
Pending Email Confirmation

I love Christohper Walken too. And the one you hate is Chris Tucker. He is also a deal breaker at our house. Halle Berry is another. I used to hate Julia Roberts too, and most of her movies I still haven't seen, though I did tolerate Mona Lisa Smile. And Sandra Bullock used to drive me nuts too, but she sorta grew on me.

We watched a meh thriller tonight called Frailty. It was good, but we had it predecited within about 20 minutes, which was disappointing. It seems lately a lot of the thriller/horror movies seem to go by a certain rule, a predicitble unpredictibility or something. It's annoying. Anyway, it was still an okay movie.

So, what are your sure bets? We'll see anything with Johnny Depp or Kevin Spacey in it. Also Vincent D'Onofrio, Tom Hanks, Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore, Jake or Maggie Gyllenhall, Judi Dench, Cate Blancett. Those are our faves.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 AM   #138  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yeah, Frailty was pretty predictable as was Cold Creek Manor, although seeing Stephen Dorff with his shirt of for most of the movie was pretty good

More deal breakers - Jodie Foster, Uma Thurman any freaking dingy starlet that can't act ...e.g. Tara Reid, or any Supermodel -turned- actress-.... and Jennifer Lopez...

My sure bets are Johhny Depp (although Secret Garden wasn't very good ), Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Willem Dafoe, Chow Yun Fat (I've been a fan of his for a long time - I love Asian Cinema), Sean Connery (except for the avengers movie with Uma Thurman - god that was awful!) Pierce Brosnan and Antonio Banderas.

For women my sure bets are Susan Sarandon, Julianne Moore, Salma Hayek, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren (from the Prime Suspect series, Calender Girls).
Old 01-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #139  

Wow, I just saw Hotel Rwanda yesterday, and it was an amazing film in every way.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I LOVE Chris Tucker. He is hilarious. I also enjoyed White Chicks and Dodgeball although I thought I would hate both. J.Lo is a definite deal breaker for me along with Halle Berry (I'm an Eric Benet fan).

I saw Are We There Yet this weekend. It was funny. The girl reminded me a LOT of my daughter which was kind of scary. The ending was SUPER cheesy but since it was a kids movie, it had to end that way I guess.

Tiki.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #141  
Gotta move my Thang!

I have to say I can take Chris Tucker or leave him. I LOVED him in The 5th Element and the Rush Hour movies, and some of his standup is f-hilarious.

Always winners in our house - Jackie Chan films, Patrick Stewart, MST3K, Kevin Spacey (Even in Kpax), and Genndy Tartakovsky of Cartoon Network - he's responsible for Samurai Jack and some of the other really good cartoons on there. We're big kids at heart.

Things we won't watch - dramas about serial killers, or things that will be really violent. I can't take it. I made the mistake of seeing 'Seven' in the theater because Kevin Spacey was in it, and felt ill for days afterward.

I'll have to check out some Sidney Poitier films after his write-up in the Black History Month Thread, sounds dishy!

Solarmama
Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I REFUSED to watch Seven. It gave my dad nightmares so I knew it wasn't for me.

Tiki.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #143  
Gotta move my Thang!

Tiki - wish I had refused, too. That's when I realized that I can't handle graphic depictions of violence. I feel the same way about Quentin Tarantino - it just seems like his ultra-violent take on things glories in the gore, or makes light of it, or dehumanizes his characters by making such awfulness commonplace. Of course, I watch anime with relish but even then have to squirm and avert my eyes at times. That's why I knit while I watch movies at home - means I can focus on my work when things get hairy! In the theater I'm trapped if the movie crosses my comfort line - that's what made 'Seven' so difficult for me.

Ciao!
Solar
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #144  

Height: 5'-2"

Solar, you didn't like K-pax?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #145  
Gotta move my Thang!

Hi Ellis -

Actually, I ended up loving it, but when choosing to rent it, reading the description made me say "come on now, really, Kevin sweetie - an alien? Come on!"

But the film turned out to be much more nuanced than that, and surprisingly deep. Kevin offered his usual superb performance, and the story was very absorbing. I'd recommend it.

SolarM
Closed Thread