Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #31  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome back to all the MIA chicks!

ellis - how is your kitchen coming along? I am turning into an interior decorator - my mum and dad have enlisted me to help fix up their place so I will be spending a few weekends window shopping with them to get some ideas and price things out.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #32  

Height: 5'-2"

Ooooh, what fun, Mauvais!
You should pop over soon and see how we're progressing (or not progressing. heh heh). And borrow some movies. Yours are sitting here beside me.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #33  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YIKES!! You are all being so industrious!! I have been sitting on my butt... I'm basically over the cold, but still congested and still tired. At this point I think most of what I am feeling is the COLD!!! Should get up and clean (snort) but all I want to do is sleep...
Old 01-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #34  

Well, sleep for a couple more days, Den, and then we are going to KICK YOUR BUTT!!
You're going to be joining us in the exercise thread if I have to come down there and physically PUT you on that BIKE!!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #35  

Yeah, tell your DH "Nice try there buddy, but I believe YOU have OUR movies!"
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #36  

Ellis-I think I NEED you to come down here and physically put me on the bike!!!

YIKES! I am now officially an adult child with an adult child. DS#1 is now 18!!!

We went out in the snowstorm for cannolis to celebrate. WHY?!? Because my HUSBAND wanted them too!!! (He has had 3 so far!!!) DS18 (YIKES!!!) has had 2 so far. I had 1 and I feel sick; I don't know how they do it!!! (They are both thin too, DS14 and I each had 1 and we are the ones who have to watch it. NOT FAIR!!!)

Last edited by dentrassi; 01-22-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #37  

Happy Birthday to DS#1, Den!!
Holy... eighteen, eh?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #38  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

I’m no fan of winter either. Everything is so cold and dark – the best thing to do is definitely to stay under the blankets.
I have been looking forward to March and spring for months now….

ellis – thanks for the warm welcome back – good luck on your kitchen progression!
It’s so true what you say - that we’re learning how to deal with “light attacks” of depression! I started up with therapy again in October, and have been trying to specify the warning signs that I’m getting depressed again: trying to identify where I need to take action. I find that it’s very useful to think about it so “pro-active” and focus on what I can do. Not just look at it as “destiny sweeping down on me from nowhere”.
It looks a lot like weight maintenance actually! I find that I need the pro-active approach and a focus on how to learn coping skills in both areas.

I’m off to find my blanket – have a nice day everybody!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mette
I started up with therapy again in October, and have been trying to specify the warning signs that I’m getting depressed again: trying to identify where I need to take action. I find that it’s very useful to think about it so “pro-active” and focus on what I can do.
That's great, Mette. That's what I work on, too, and it's hard work, isn't it?!!

It's also really difficult to separate "who you are" from "what the depression seems to have made you".
I gave my mom and sister a description of the depressions that I suffer from, with a list of the "symptoms". They were really glad to have it, and my sister's reaction was, "Oh, THAT'S why you are the way you are!"
I told my psychiatrist all this, and he said, "Don't let them confuse YOU with the symptoms!" Which I guess is true. On the other hand, if my family wants to forgive me for what they see as a "list of symptoms", that's okay with me.

It's also easy for me to feel comfortable in "depressed mode". I've suffered from it for 28 years, and sometimes when I'm slipping into a slight depression, I think, "It's too hard to pull myself out of this!" And I can comfortably slip deeper and deeper into what, for me, is a very familiar state.
I "recognize" the personality that I'm slipping back into. It's like, "Oh! Hello, Ellis! There you are!"
Not good. Not healthy.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #40  

YUP!! Been there, doing that.....

HEY!! DS says thanks for the birthday wishes!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentrassi
YUP!! Been there, doing that.....
I know, sweetie... Love you...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

The worst bout of depression I ever had occurred when I decided to take the winter off from having my kids in activities. We would go to work and school and then just come home, day after day after day and before I knew it, I was so down and out that my kids were scared. Never again. I get depressed every winter, when the days get short so I changed all my lighting in my house. I also make sure that my life stays relatively busy so I don't get mired down in nothingness and start to feel bad. Lastly, I talked with my kids and told them to not be afraid to tell me if they see me getting back the way I was and they have truly stepped up to the plate in that area. It's a battle I think I will have to fight every year but I am working hard to make sure that I come out the winner each and every time.

Tiki.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #43  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
I know, sweetie... Love you...
And I love the both of you.

It is, in a strange way, very comforting to be in a familiar place/mood, even if it isn't good.

I hate to say anything, because I am afraid it is hiding around the corner, but depression has not shown up yet this winter. It normally shows up around November until February. Then again in July & August. So not just a winter thing for me. So far, nothing more then maybe a day. Nothing that really sticks in my head.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #44  
Slowly shrinking

Hello to you all ~ I'm kind of new, used to be Lamorgan a few years ago but forgot all my info and so I changed my identity as well. That's kind of fun, anyway. Have 20 pounds to lose, again [sigh], so here we go again. I'm going to join WW online, I self-motivate pretty well. Came down with a killer cold a week ago and think that has jump-started my diet. I have no appetite, and really feel not hungry at all... Quite strange for me. At Yule husband gave me new jeans, which didn't fit even though they were my size... That motivated me to cut out sweets completely, and rethink what I've been eating, and how much. I knew I'd gained back some weight from my 30 pound loss a few years ago, but I'd gained back 20 pounds of it. So I'm back!
Lois
Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #45  

Welcome back Morrganna!

Yep, nothing like something you used to be able to fit into giving you a wake up call!
That happened to me to after whining about what I could not wear to the staff Christmas party this year.....I rejoined WW on January 3....
Closed Thread