Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Alternachick chat October 2 +

Good morning everyone

Darn, I think I suffer from "SAD" - I just can't seem to get up in the morning for the past week and have been late for work twice!

It's going to be a busy weekend - I have a belly dance party to go to on Friday night, it is DH's birthday on Saturday and then we are going to our friends' place for supper on Sunday. Phew! When do I get to rest?????
Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 AM   #2  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Sound like a fun weekend Mauvais!

It has been too cold to get out of bed this week. It is only 37F (about 2C) out. Where did fall go???

Found out that I get to visit the boy when he comes home at the end of November. It will be almost 5 months since we saw each other. His sister has been asking when I am going to go visit her.

Gotta go do work.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:26 AM   #3  
Imagine...

I'm with ya, I was gonna try exercising in the am but so far no go. It is just too warm and toasty to get up out of bed early for exercise So for now the evening will have to do.

Mauvais sound like an exciting weekend planned! Have Fun

Squeak bet you can't wait to see your friend
Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 AM   #4  

Yeah Squeak- you get to see your boy soon!

It is about 3 or 4 celcius here in the mornings -my building has not turned the heat on yet so it is freezing in my apartment in the mornings. I even dug out my sweaters yesterday and wore my thin velvet scarf and leather gloves to work this morning BRRR! Must find my furry hedgehog slippers tonight!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #5  
Spreadin' the luv.

Unhappy Already SAD

Yep. I'm doing the SAD thing already, too. It's not cold here in Seattle, but the fog has rolled in like it means to stay. Well, it is chilly, but I don't mind that so much as never seeing the sun.

I thought I had more time - I need to gear up for fighting this. Sun lamps, hot choc. in the house, favorite CDs close to hand, herbs for the bathtub, new books and most importantly, get back to the gym! This week (uh, and last week) I've already started the "I'm too tired, I'm too down" form of getting out of exercise. Has to stop. People have told me that regular, vigorous exercise is the only way they stave off total insanity during the winter. I do the SAD thing hard, but this is the first year I've made plans to fight it.

Anyone else have good SAD-fighting tips?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Best treatment for SAD? Move to San Diego.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #7  

Very funny Jessica!

Wouldn't work for me though - as Shirley Manson from Garbage once sand ....."I'm only happy when it rains"

Then again I do love crisp sunny autumn days.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Glad to know I am not alone! I am not diagnosed by a doctor, just self-figured. The last 3 years have been rough. No windows at work doesn't help either...in the winter, it is just cracking daylight when I go in, and dark when I come out. I have crying fits, I feel despair, and just am in general like a bump on a log.

Cerise, I have never fought it either, but I plan to do similar things this year too! I want to buy a sunlamp, but I'm not sure what to buy. There is a Verolux one that is advertised in a magazine but it is something like $175. Surely there is a more reasonable one! I'd like to get one for home and one for work.

I think I might try at night, more lights on in the house, and I might use suntan lotion as aromatherapy! I have a sound maker that has ocean sounds. Maybe going to the tanning bed for small amounts might help too. I don't want to get cancer in the process, but if I could take short jaunts, would it help? Trying to fool my senses into remembering the beach...that is where it is the warmest and the days are longest in my memory.

Maybe getting some large indoor plants would help?

Jessica, I HAVE thought about moving! If I could pack up my whole family, I'd go!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #9  
Cute & Fluffy

Sflake - I love the fact you even think about getting up early to do that!

Mauvais - Headgehog sleepers sound adorable!!!

Cerise - I am all for a warm bath with great smelling bubbles & a good book. I am also partial to warm apple cider. Not sure what else since I get unhappy in the middle of the summer just as bad as winter.

Though Jessica's idea would work too

Jennifer - No windows either? Yuck! Though this way you can't see the rain or snow either.

I am very happy about getting to see the boy. I miss him. The only thing I don't like is that he doesn't have more friends and doesn't want to stay in CA for the week because of it. Now I definately need to fit back into my jeans soon, I need clothes to wear when I visit!

Now where is everyone else? Ellis? Den?

Ruthxxx - How is Harry?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #10  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I'm hibernating!!! I really do think I am part bear!! I love cooler weather, but more like 60 to 70 degrees (F) It is in the 40s here right now!!! I was up late last night baking cookies with DS16, who has Octoberfest in his German class today. German spice cookies. Had to try one to make sure they weren't poisonous.....(actually they were REALLY good!! I'm glad he got them all out of here is all I can say!!)
Old 10-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #11  

ummmm....that's Hedgehog slippers Squeaker, not sleepers although if I could find those too I would buy them - I love hedgehogs!

My slippers look like stuffed toy animals and you put your feet in them so it looks like you have hedgehogs for fee- cute but kind of weird. My DH bought them for me for Christmas one year - they are really warm and comfy.

I would actually like to have a pet hedgehog one day - they are so cute, but then again they should probably be left to the wilds instead of being domesticated.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #12  
Cute & Fluffy

Um, yeah those too Mauvais.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #13  

Oh I miss my little sister sooooo much today. I got an e-mail from her and I forgot how absolutely hysterical she is. She makes me laugh. We didn't get along too well when we were little. She was moody, emotional, and introverted. I was the opposite. My parents ignored me (they weren't being mean, I just talked non-stop so they were never worried about me) and they fawned over her (I mean, she didn't talk! Of course they were worried). We were still sisters and shared a lot of stuff but we weren't friends. Ever since I left home, she blossomed into this incredible woman that I adore and the best of friends. Ever more heart breaking? She looks up to me! Wow! The girl her would sit on her and refused to play monopoly with her.

I hate that I live 7 states away from her. When she visits, she cries constantly (I told you she was the emotional one) and I miss just hanging out with her. Sigh!

Sorry, I guess I'm suffering from SAD (Sister Away Depression).
Old 10-03-2003, 07:44 PM   #14  
WW Moderator

JESSICA, you said something one other time that made me think we were alike, and darnit you've done it again. You and your sister were just like me and Suzanne! She was moody and introverted, and I was outgoing and funloving! Only difference is that I'm the emotional one. Yep, we didn't get along when we were little, either. It wasn't until I was a teenager that she actually liked me! Then she corrupted me, so maybe she didn't like me even then! I'm pretty sure she likes me now, though.

Seriously though, I'm sorry you miss her.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 PM   #15  

Awww thanks Jennifer! I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like their sister in the beginning.

My favorite story about my sister is that she is NOT a morning person. She is STILL a royal pain when she wakes up. Both my parents knew it too, so they would make ME wake her up. Sooooo (remember, I was a pretty evil kid), I would go up to her room and say, "Amanda!!! Amanda!!! Dad bought Dunkin Doughnuts for breakfast. You better run down, I think there's only one left!"

And she would tear off down the stairs.... of course.... no doughnuts. She would get SO mad! But she was up! Funny, she fell for that A LOT! (You would think she'd learn).
Closed Thread