Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #16  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Cute rat Navi! We had a black and white one called Lucretia and after that we had two white mice called Sir Winston Churchmouse and Sir Walter Scottmouse.

We also had two fighting fish - in separate bowls of course- one was Satan's Little Helper (he was bright red) and the other was Churchy La Femme (he was cobalt blue) - can you tell we watch the Simpsons far too much!

Then we had two cats - one died last year and the other just recently passed away.

So for the first time in years I am petless
Old 09-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #17  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Mauvais... your sweet cat...
There are some feral cats that live in my backyard. Would you like me to trap one for you? There's a lovely black fuzzy one with a burr on his tail. He limps. Poor little thing. I hate to think what will happen to him in the winter.
OR... how about a racoon!?!? There's a fat family that break into our garbage bin every night! I'll trap one for you.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #18  
Work in Progress

mauv-
I lost both my cats (one was 13 the other 14) within 18 months, it was such a sad time. Then a friend of mine's sis dog got pregnant and I inherited (kicking and screaming until I saw him) the runt of the litter, the little guy that is my avatar, and he has changed my life.

You sound like your the kind of person that gives pets a deserving home!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:19 AM   #19  

Yeah, both my cats were "rescues". One was living in an abusive home and came with a gimpy leg and the other was living with a friend's mom who couldn't take care of it due to health problems- it was an unhappy kitty since it didn't get the attention it needed and acted out with bad behaviour. We took her in on a month's trial and she did a complete turn around. I think it was because she had my first cat as a companion and then we were home more and could give her the affection she needed.

Wah! I miss both my furry babies!

A friend of a friend of a friend is looking for homes for recently born kittens but they won't be available for at least 10 weeks.
The only reason that I am even considering it is that they are siamese mix and DH has always wanted a siamese cat. We have been discussing it - but we will see. If I do I will take two so that they will be company for each while we are are at work.

Thanks for the offer of a feral cat Ellis - not sure if DH would approve! I worry about strays during the winter too.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #20  

Oh, Mauvais, so sorry your kitty died recently! Siamese mixes are great. They are intelligent and usually friendly. Maybe there will be one in your future.

Navi, welcome! I'm vegetarian, too. In fact, I'm on day 4 of a week-long challenge to eat vegan. Three days left. Your rat is so cute! I work at a humane society, and we once adopted out four rabbits to people who already had four. It seemed suspicious at first, but we checked them out and they were just rabid rabbit lovers.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #21  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Mauvais - Maybe start small with a fish or something like that, if you aren't ready for a kitty? At least 10 weeks gives you plenty of time to consider it.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #22  
I want candy

Aww, mauvaisroux. I'm so sorry.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM   #23  

Height: 5'-2"

Lesbia, (excuse me, Mauvais ) that is so sweet. You're new and you barely know us yet, but you're already jumping right in and nurturing us. I just love people like you.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:38 AM   #24  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Mauvais-We thought we weren't ready when we got Meggie, but it was a rescue situation. She was a turn around kitty too. She didn't get the attention she needed and hid all the time when we first got her. She is now a spoiled brat!!! (My fault! For example: she had the first piece of turkey last Thanksgiving!!!)
Old 09-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #25  

Thanks Lesbia...the hardest part is curling up on the couch to watch tv-she used to curl under my arm or sleep on my feet

Ellis - right back at ya babe!

Den- that is one spoiled cat!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 09-29-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:38 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 193/188/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi, Navi !!!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #27  
I want candy

Quote:
Originally posted by ellis
I just love people like you.
Ok, that's it. I'm staying on this board forever!

Thank you, Ellis. And hug right bachatcha!

:
Old 09-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #28  
Fighter

Welcome, Navi! You definitely sound interesting, I'm looking forward to reading more from you in the not to far future! :-D
Old 10-02-2003, 01:06 PM   #29  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking My Mom calls me "Mousekins"

Welcome from me, too, Navi.

Your ratlets are so cute! I love all furry things. Unfortunately (well not unfortunately, really) I have two cats who would not suffer caged rats in the same house as their majesties. I know from experience that Simone WOULD find a way to open/destroy any contained little squeaky things.

I also am a vegetarian - for philosophical reasons. I also think PETA takes themselves a little seriously. I just couldn't stand that animals died so that I can eat. Anyway, I still seem to get along with the omnivores around here. I think.

Ellis, maybe some rescue operation in your area could trap those poor feral kitties for you. In my experience (used to volunteer as a cat-trapper) they trap them, spay/neuter them, then find homes for them if they're tamable (tame-able?). If they're not they'll let them loose around one of their volunteer feeding stations (a nice farmer who puts out food, restaurants, etc.).

Anyway, welcome again, Navi. Alternachicks are kewl. I hang out in the Support forum, mostly, but check in and bug these ladies every so often.

Last edited by Cerise; 10-02-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #30  
In Control: E+R=O

Welcome Navi!!

Ellis, we had a pet raccoon when I was growing up. My grandpa picked her and her sibling up on the side of the road where their mother had been killed by a car. We kept the female, named her Zorro. (My cousins took the male, but he was killed when they started their car and he had climbed up into engine to keep warm in the garage). When she was about 1 1/2 years old we released her at a friend's farm, where she lived in the woods behind their place and slept in the barn in the winter, and each year brought her babies to the farm. Wow, I had forgotten all about her.....thanks for the trip down memory lane. I should see if I can find any old pictures of her.
Closed Thread