Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default DJ Alternachick

What is your favorite music to listen to right now, especially to exercise to?

I mostly listen to The Prodigy and FatBoy Slim mixes on the treadmill. I'm having a hard time finding good stuff...I mostly like remixes, particularly for 80's and 90's stuff. I have a good mash up with Madonna over the Sex Pistols. Ray of Light and God Save the Queen layered on top of each other. Interesting! Um...I like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, The Vines, The Dandy Warhols, The Chemical Brothers, The Clash, Andrew WK. I REALLY need some new things to listen to!

Not really for exercise, but to listen to: Queens of the Stone Age, Queen, some Marilyn Manson (I don't like many of the lyrics which in many cases I don't relate to at all but WOW it all has a good beat- Great bass and drums - really great for a head thrashing after work), U2, Some Joan Jett, Korn, Jane's Addiction...That's all off the top of my head!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

This isn't me, because I'm too old for this (snort), but I'm really enjoying my daughter's latest favorite band. Evanescence. ("Bring Me To Life" is really good)
Old 09-16-2003, 11:02 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hmmmm.... have to think a minute here...

Exercise:
mostly Middle Eastern music for belly dancing, others include Prince, Nine Inch Nails, Missy Elliot, Ottmar Liebert,
Gypsy Kings, Lorena McKennitt.

For listening all of the above +:
Marilyn Manson, Lacuna Coil, Assemblage23, KMFDM, Hole, Korn, Cold, Rage Against the Machine, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Coal Chamber, Mudvayne, Sevendust, Type O Negative, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Depeche Mode,the Clash, Stabbing Westward, Static-X, Portishead, Garbage, Bush.

Relaxing music:
Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah McLachlan, Alicia Keyes, Sara Vaughan, Lena Horne, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Leonard Cohen.

Just a few!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 09-16-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Oh yeah! Sisters of Mercy and Garbage! Forgot them...and I didn't think about the easy listening stuff...I like Mel Torme, and Frank Sinatra, oh yeah, Harry Connick Jr. and Etta James. Etta James 'At Last' has to be the most beautiful song I have ever listened to. I also like Big Band in the background for housecleaning, cooking, etc.

Gee Mauv, we may have been buds in a former life!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:35 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yeah I bet we used to go to all the speakeasys and gin joints in New Orleans on hot summer nights in that other lifetime or maybe we hung out in Vegas with the Rat Pack! Or maybe slamdanced at a punk concert

I love big band, blues, Jazz, soul and show tunes (I know all the words to Hello Dolly! and South Pacific)- and I love Mario Lanza!

Etta James but my fave song is Stormy Weather sung by Lena Horne

Oh, I almost forgot Peggy Lee, Nina Simone and Eartha Kitt! OOPS! All great ladies of song!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 09-16-2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #6  
Imagine...

Right now I'm exercising to a mix of No Doubt, Madonna, Queen, and U2.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:17 AM   #7  
it's always something

I burn my own "treadmill CDs" so I just get a mixture of what I find works best for me.

Do you daydream while on the treadmill?

How about Right Said Fred "I'm too Sexy" (I look so good on the runway, lol)
Blur "Song 2"
Foo Fighters, "All my Life" (I frequently repeat this one, lol, and I'm damned good as dave grohl!)

All of my treadmill CDs include Modern English "I melt with you" and a little Blondie and other 80s favorites.

For cooldown music, I like music such as Portishead, Tricky, and even a little Dean Martin
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #8  

The Mortal Kombat soundtrack is good to workout to.
When I'm lifting weights I like angry music like Disturbed and Drowning Pool work well
And I like to listen to swing music when I clean house.
Rob Zombie works for all the above

Jenny
Old 09-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #9  

I bought a best-of collection by the Replacements, "All For None and None For All." When the first song came on, I couldn't help myself -- started dancing like a fool. The Replacements are one of my favorite bands, but I hadn't listened to them in a long time, so I'd forgotten what great make-you-move music it is!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #10  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I don't have exercise music, but lately I have been listening to:

Dave Matthews Band, The Tragically Hip, Warren Zevon, 54.40 (I am in love with the new cd), Finger Eleven, and I need to get my Watchmen CD back from my sister.

I have a HUGE CD collection, but those have been in heavy rotation lately.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:32 PM   #11  
Fighter

I have to admit, even though I'm a bellydancer, I don't listen to Middle Eastern music outside of class. My favorites are chick rock, does anyone know who L7 is? I also like Drain STH, Kittie, Veruca Salt (now disbanded), Tracy Bonham, Joan Jett, and Poe. On the lighter side, I like Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Abra Moore, Fiona Apple, Natalie Merchant, and the list goes on forever. :-D
Old 09-17-2003, 05:04 PM   #12  

Oh I LOVE those chick bands. I am a huge Kittie fan, my hubby's band is doing a cover of one of their songs(they have a female singer), also drain, L7, Veruca salt all so awesome.
I'm very big into Evanescence also

Jenny
Old 09-17-2003, 06:40 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

This afternoon I was listening to Sister Hazel. Now I'm listening to Cecilia Bartoli. (classical/opera) Hymn to the World. My daughter just asked me to turn it down.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #14  
Spreadin' the luv.

Exclamation oo, Oo, OOOOO!!!

My FAVORITE song to work out is "blue" by Eiffel 65.

I'm blue-ba-dabba-de-da-ba-da, ba-dabba-dee, dabba-doo...

Or anything by them, really.

Evanescence rules all. I'm so mad they got this new sound before me...
Old 09-17-2003, 09:26 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Suzanne - when you said you do a damned good Dave Grohl, do you mean that you like play air guitar and belt out the lyrics with him? Can I see? I'd pay money! I'll buy you DINNER if you do it for me! Can I come over tomorrow? Have you got an mp3 of Modern English? I've been singing that song in my head for a week. It isn't theft since we're family, right??? We're practically in the same household!

Ooooooh, I forgot Linkin Park! Great for getting an extra wind when you think you can't exercise anymore. I reeeeealllly like Faint. Gets me charged!

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to listen to some of this on Amazon...I must be getting old, because I haven't heard of some of these!
Closed Thread