Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 07:31 AM   #61  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Suzanne- if you get a chance rent the movie Equilibrium = Christian Bale redeemed!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #62  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Um, I really liked Velvet Goldmine. And I swear it had nothing to do with Ewan McGregor completely naked. .. oops... I mean
Old 09-18-2003, 10:47 AM   #63  
it's always something

Oh please! It was overdramatic, poorly acted, and had way too much going on. Was it a drama? musical? mystery? love story? It tried to be all of the above and succeeded only in being confusing. I watched it 3 times before I got it So I gave it a fighting chance!

Will check out Equilibrium, thanks
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #64  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

It also had 3 hot guys, and 70's glam rock.

But I also like a number of movies that most people don't.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #65  
it's always something

You aren't alone, I know several people that liked the movie!

The music was pretty good!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #66  
Spreadin' the luv.

Wink Drooly postie.

OMG, I am SO gonna rent Velvet Thingy. Christian Bale's in it? And Ewan MacGregor's in his BD suit? Ruff, ruff!! Christian Bale is so sexy. That part in Little Women (oh, stop GROANING!!) when Jo lets him down and he's trying not to cry...I want to shout (but Ramon would laugh too hard), "Forget about that tomboy hussy who marries the wimpy guy with a dumb accent! Come to me, come, and cry into my breasteses!!"

Can't wait to see Underworld. I'm going tonight, for sure. It'll be my reward for trying to use the Gold's Gym elliptical machine for the first time! New gym membership!

But, I digress. Want to keep drooling. I'll post a gushy review tonight after tasty Underworld.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:01 AM   #67  
Spreadin' the luv.

Underworld ROCKED ME FLAT. Well, what I mean by that is that it's a really solid, dark, operatic, ***-kicking, bloody, vampires-vs.-werewolves movie. Juuuust the way I like it. Cool plot, all the girls are teensy (naturally), the men are sexy, buff and very, very evil (rowwwr). This is not a real movie review. I can't give a damn about those. Just opinion, and my opinion is that it's the SHIZNICK, BABY, YEAH!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #68  

I saw Underworld last night too Cerise! I really enjoyed it, I think it is one of the better vampire movies I have seen lately. Less cheesy and campy than most.

I loved the vampires clothes, sigh, why can't I run around dressed like that all the time?

I thought the effects of the werewolves changing were quite well done.

One thing that bothers me is that I have read several reviews that say it is a Matrix rip-off. It seems that every movie that has a dark, edgy theme, and action is now deemed Matrix-like. I am sorry but the Matrix owes a lot to several other movies so the critics can just sod off!

I am sure this is a film that movie goers will enjoy and the critics will pan.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:38 AM   #69  
WW Moderator

Oooh glad to hear Underworld is good. Suzanne and I will be seeing it one day soon. I saw Matchstick Men today. Nicholas Cage did a REALLY good job. The movie wasn't as exciting as I had hoped, but I had expected a different 'kind' of movie. My son loved it (and contained himself when they showed NC's butt *are you listening Suzanne?*) because Nicholas Cage has tics in the movie, which is the only reason he wanted to see it. My son has Tourette's Syndrome and he saw the trailer where NC said he 'obviously had a lot of tics' and Cody has looked forward to seeing somebody else with tics on the big screen ever since....

I wish they showed Sam Rockwell's hiney...

Can't see Once Upon A Time In Mexico yet until I get a babysitter..it's R!
Old 09-21-2003, 02:31 AM   #70  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer 3FC
My son loved it (and contained himself when they showed NC's butt *are you listening Suzanne?*)
AND????????? Tight? Saggy? Rounded? I want details!!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:39 PM   #71  
WW Moderator

Tannish and I think it was firm! He was in a hospital gown. It was nice, though!

I saw Once Upon A Time In Mexico today. Not what I expected! I expected more serious drama, and this was Quentin Tarantinoish. I dunno, hard to describe. But I still got Depped, so I'm happy.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #72  

Height: 5' 7"

Jennifer --

My 13-yr-old daughter has ADHD. We went to see Secondhand Lions this weekend, and she was nuts about it. To be honest, she wanted to see Underworld, and we did see Dickie Roberts last weekend, but she loved it.

I dragged my husband along, and to find a movie that a dedicated chick-flick, scifi fan, a teenager, and a dedicated romantic war movie kind of guy could get together on was pretty awesome.

Haley Joel Osment has hit that adolescent awkward stage, and I'm so glad he was in this movie because he was so totally his age -- albeit beautiful and talented. Robert Duvall sort of chewed the scenery, but once again I was totally awed by Michael Caine, who can underplay anything.

I can't believe it -- my first post on Alternachicks, and here I am talking about a family movie, but my definition of alternative includes loving support, and this is what this movie is about.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #73  

Height: 5'-2"

Did a mother/daughter thing yesterday, and watched Session 9. (my daughter had already seen it) I enjoyed it, and we had a lot to talk about afterwards. We also looked up on the Internet the asylum where the movie took place. Veeeeeerrrrrry interesting.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #74  
WW Moderator

Session 9? I'll have to look that up - I hadn't heard of it.

We are seeing Second Hand Lions this Thursday. Glad to hear it was good. Thursday is 'mega-party' day. At Cody's school, they do these horrible fund raisers that the kids can sell items for the school to gain admission to. If they sell more items, they get things like laser tag, and a money vaccuum thing. They really exploit the children. They bring them in the gym and show them films and reel them right in, and get them caught up in the hype and the sales pitches. These are children! And some of the kids don't have English speaking families that can take their books to work, and some kids just have uninvolved parents that CAN take their books to work but don't, and some aren't allowed to sell door to door (like mine) and their family can't afford to buy the crap they are selling to 'buy their admission'. So, in short, I complained big time last year, and this year Cody came home and said he got fundraising books, but no way were they going to use him, he wasn't selling anything. Good for him!! I wrote a note to his teacher and told her that we were boycotting the Mega Party fundraiser as we all thought it was an exploitation of children, and that raising money for some of the kids shouldn't be done at the expense of others. It is bad to hear about the crying children that don't get to go because they didn't sell anything, while they watch their classmates go without them. How can first graders sell, for instance, if their parent's don't help them? It isn't their fault...anyway, Thursday after school is the Mega Party, so at 3:00, Cody will go with my husband to the local childrens museum for a couple of hours until I get off work, then we're going to the movies and out to dinner.

I'm all for helping the school, but not this kind of deal when there is a company making a ton of profit to make kids cry.

Where were we? Oh , the movies! I think we are going to like the movie - looks more like a 10-year old movie then the ones he has seen lately! Has anybody heard about the new Bill Murray movie? I can't remember the name of it. I read that it only opened in 183 theaters...
Old 09-22-2003, 11:10 PM   #75  

Ellis- what is Session 9 about? Who is in it? Is it a newer release or an older film?

Jennifer- I'm glad you and Cody stood up to the school I can't believe they use that method of fundraising - it is so unfair to use the kids like that and very hurtful and disappointing to kids who can't achieve the sales
Closed Thread