Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 08:27 PM   #16  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Ellis-NO KIDDING!!!

Chris, I waited YEARS before I dealt with mine, and it only got worse. Your brain can get "hard-wired" and have a propensity for being depressed when you wait. You are VERY smart to get going on this. You took care of yourself, and that is one of the things you need to do to deal with being depressed. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

(Besides, being normal ain't all it's cracked up to be!!! That's part of the reason we're Alternachicks!!!)
Old 06-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #17  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

um, I still haven't made that call. That is why I am very impressed with Chris. I just can't do it yet for a few reasons. But I also haven't been too bad lately.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:45 AM   #18  

Height: 5'-2"

Just don't leave it too late, Squeak. 'Cause we love you.

I haven't had a personal session with our psychologist for a while, but once I got used to it I loved it! It was such a release. And knowing that I wasn't dumping on a friend (which I never do for my depression anyhow!) but was actually paying to do it helped too!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:04 AM   #19  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Way to go Chris! That is the first step in taking care of yourself

I think most us, as Ellis said, keep a stiff upper lip and don't let anyone know what is going on-especially ourselves.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:54 PM   #20  

Squeak-Ellis is right. Just going and talking it out with someone helps a lot. You DON'T have to wait until it is so bad that you need meds!! (Like I did!!)
Old 06-05-2003, 04:34 PM   #21  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Ellis & Den - I know, I know. I am getting much closer to it, just not there yet. I even switched health care to something with a better mental health coverage. There is a person or two that keeps a close watch on my mood, and have been trying to help me go get help.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:25 PM   #22  

Squeak, I'm glad you've got someone watching over you. If Den and I lived closer, we'd grab you and hustle you down there right now. And then we'd go for a big blow-out meal. burp
Honestly... it's much less painful than going to the dentist, and much more satisfying for your soul.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #23  
Searching

Wise ladies here Squeak. We will help any way you need us to.

My TA-DA's
1. Went to the Dr.
2. Got my eyebrows plucked
3. Went for a long walk
4. Got a massage

(To be frank the massage and the eyebrows over stimulated me and I was about to freak out land by the time they were done and could not run in my house fast enough. But I didn't freak out midstream, TA-DA! LOL!)

Miss Chris
Old 06-05-2003, 11:23 PM   #24  

Squeak-We just want YOU happy too!!!

Chris-Lots of Ta Das today!! That's great!! I wish I could get a massage....DH sometimes gives me a mini one, but it is never long enough!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #25  

Chris, good for you!

Last night I had to go to a dinner "thingy" with DH. Sort of a work-related/charity thing. I did NOT want to go, and had a silent panic attack in the car on the way there. And I had a fairly horrible time because my DH is quite outgoing and I knew NO ONE there!

However, I did survive and I managed to stick to my diet. (Although I felt like grabbing the entire bread basket and plate of sweet butter balls and shoveling them down my gullet.)
So my ta-da is not having a nervous breakdown in the midst of a huge crowd of strangers.

Den, ditto on the massage. PRE-marriage, my DH would give me REALLY long massages (foot massages! I love them!), but after 15 years of marriage he's not quit as giving in that respect.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:29 PM   #26  

Ellis, I would have felt exactly the same way. I don't like enormous social events at ALL. Major panic. I am quite chatty in a small group if I can THEN go home and be by myself. I am lousy at playdates for kids too, apropos of that - specially given this small house. I really really need my space!

And Chris, congrats on all the ta-das! I WISH I liked massages but unless it is DH administering them I get very freaked out and guilty and panicky. I don't know why, I know it is supposed to be relaxing!. Got a faical once and (a) the woman would NOT stop chatting, mostly about how great she & her aromatherapy stuff were, so I felt I had to keep agreeing, which is not relaxing and (b) I didn't know but foot massage came with this and I had the WORST socks on, cuz I didn't know, how should I know, it was my FACE I thought....ugh, so embarrassing. Couldn't get out of there soon enough.

I don't have any ta-da's today, but I AM thinking about putting away the piles of clothes in our bedroom. All over our bedroom.

My belly is even bigger today than yesterday. I feel like a mastodon. With zits. Big RED zits. And really awful old socks.
(Thank goodness I am not in line for a facial, though with these zits I probably could use one!)

Lidian
Old 06-06-2003, 05:33 PM   #27  

What is it with these women that they have to TALK while giving massages and facials, etc?! Good grief! That's the third story I've heard like yours this week, Lidian. You should have charged her for therapy!

Oh my... your bedroom sounds JUST like mine! When it's tidy, it looks REALLY good, but it only takes one day for the laundry to completely take over!
Old 06-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #28  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Ahhhhgggg! The laundry! We currently have two baskets of clean stuff that I washed 2 weeks ago still waiting to get put away and two baskets of dirty overflowing onto the floor

It is not easy when we are both working all week and you have to fight to get into the laundry room in your building because everyone else is trying to get in too! I either have to stay up to 12 am on Friday nights to get it done or do the laundry at 6 am on Saturday or Sunday mornings I am this close to taking it all over to a laundrymat some night and doing it all at once!

I can't wait for the day that I have my own house and my own machines and can do a load whenever I want!
Old 06-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #29  

When I went up to look at the piles of clothes and maybe even put something away, one of our cats was sleeping on one of the piles. So we looked at each other for a minute and then I went away to play on the computer some more.

And there's more laundry waiting to be washed so it can join all the other piles. Our bedroom is quite small so it is hard to see the furniture now! In the girls' room there are fewer clothes out - but enormous numbers of soft stuffed animals - several thousand of which are Beanies large and small. They all have names and personal preferences & eldest DD has crocheted scarves for several of them.

I try to put them up on the shelves, and under the beds in bins, but then they are rediscovered and soon all are out happily lying on the beds. The other of our cats likes to go in and sleep near the toy cats (bunnies, turtles etc). I look in on this scene as well and go back to the computer!

This is an anti ta-da because I only thought about it, but didn't do anything!

Lidian
Closed Thread