Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #1  
Buggin' with Pugs

Default Have you tried the.....

Hey ladies!
I thought making a thread of diet/healthy foods (prepared ones) that we may have tried would be a cool thing...so.... How about we share a review of the whatever food you've tried. ...and heck, maybe their convenience will help some of us with those panic/gotta a run meals.

Mine for this time is Meal replacement bars.

Of course the following reflects my own personnal opinion, but trying them for yourself won't kill ya.

In the past month and a half I have tried the following meal bars/and or snack bars. I will rate them 1 to 10, with 10 being the best (so far).

Zone Bars:
Taste: 6 Texture: 4 Overall; 6
Some of these are good, some not bad, but they do have an odd aftertaste. Not wholesomely unpleasant tho. The ones that are similar to granola bars are awful. I found them chewy to the point your jaw hurt. Overall these bars are a great 40/30/30 balance, but you have to deal with the funk.

Balance bars:
Taste: Varies 4-8 Texture: Varies 5-8 Overall: 8
Ok some of these are really good..and some are nasty. Ones that are good that I tried are Honey Peanut, Chocolate Mint Cookie, Peanut Butter, Smores, Yogurt Berry. Out of all of them, these are the few I can tolerate all the way through the bar. Some of the others have a strange aftertaste that lingers way too long. Again, we have a great 40/30/30 balance and serve as a filling meal too.

Bally bars:
Taste: 1 Texture: 0 Overall: 1
Ok the dryest bar there is and chewing on a railroad tie would be more tasty.

EAS:
Taste: 9 Texture: 9 Overall; 9
Now I have only tired 2 of these, Peanut Butter Caramel and Cookies and Cream and they were both very good. Very very little aftertaste and filling. Carbs are a tad, yes a tad higher than I personally like, but definalty something I will add to my diet.

Adkins:
Taste: 9 Texture: 9 overall: 9
Now the ones I have tried that I am rating high are the Indulges. The other bars I was not impressed with. The Indulges come in wafers, peanut butter cups, chewy caramel and regular chocolate. I have found they make a great addition for the sweet tooth cravings days. I have realized I have more nutritional bars in the house instead of hard candy for this purpose. Try these, you will be really suprized.

Detour and U-Turn:
Taste: 10 Texture: 9 Overall 9.5
Ok these I find are the best of the best. Not only do they taste great, they are loaded with protein and make a wonderful meal! Very filling and NO aftertaste. I was floored with how good these things were. Their only drawback is that they are chewy, and chewy and chewy. but worth it. I plan on loading up on these. Hey do you sell them by the case?......

Luna:
Taste: Varies 3-6 Texture: 1-4 overall 4
I was not impressed with these. The protein/carb ratio is not what I am after, but i am a self confessed dietary guinea pig. One or two of these were OK, the other i could do without, unless i was in a bomb shelter. Edible, if you are in a hurry and have no other choice.

Carb Solutions:
I don't even want to rate them on any scall. What ever they make them out of could be used for new tread on tires and the coating it leaves in your mouth would serve as great lubrication on a squeaky door.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Rubens... you are so enthusiastic and so energetic. You deserve to be a bean pole/bone rack, sweetie.
I'll look for some of my favorites tomorrow and post them.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #3  
Buggin' with Pugs

Thanks Ellis!!!! I've have my yucky days and you ladies always seem to bring me back to life.

I hope others join this one too..it would be cool too see what others have tried. I need a good diet pizza
Old 05-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sheesh! The only prepared diet stuff in this little village is water! I'll check out other stuff next big city trip. Hey, Harry goes to his Dink Doc on Monday so maybe............
Old 05-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #5  

Okay, there's Highliner... do you get Highliner fish stuff in the States? These are all low in fat and less than 300 calories. Single servings. Very handy. In the freezer section.

Shrimp in Scampi Style Sauce
Shrimp in a garlic seasoned sauce served on a bed of rice with carrots and green beans. Single-serve... takes only minutes in either the microwave or conventional oven.
For those on a low fat diet, High Liner Shrimp in Scampi Style Sauce is low in fat - all the taste without the guilt.

Shrimp New Orleans
Shrimp in a zesty sauce with vegetables on a bed of white & wild rice. Single-serve takes only minutes in either the microwave or conventional oven.

Scallops Mediterranean
Scallops in a tasty tomato based sauce with linguine and vegetables. Single-serve... takes only minutes in either the microwave or conventional oven.

There are some others... salmon and stuff like that.
They're pretty good. I like them better than the Lean Cuisine etc.

Campbell's Chicken Broth in the ready-to-use container. I know the container is totally non-environmentally friendly (damnit), but the broth is REALLY good. I use it all the time now for cooking. It's fat free, and there's a low-sodium one, too.

Wasa Light Crispbreads.
Kind of dull, but they're low in fat, cholesterol free, and only 30 calories each. I spread a tsp of peanut butter on them for a dry, crumbly, stick-in-your-mouth snack. Better than nothing! (actually, they're quite tasty once you get used them. )
Old 05-22-2003, 09:02 AM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Speaking of Captain Highlighner....

They also have prepared filets of fish that you just pop into the oven and bake. The best and lowest cal one is the lemon pepper filets. There is also cajun, lemon butter, and a cheese one.

They are between 1 to 3 WW points for 2 pieces and taste great

They can be found in the freezer section near the fish sticks
Old 05-22-2003, 09:31 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

I lied! I just went to throw out a Penningtons bag and felt something in it. It was a package of Adams Body Smarts with calcium - 300 mg per 10 pieces.

However - there is always a caveat - they do not list calories. I will call the 800 number to find out.

Yes, they are yummy. Depending on the calories, I may be posting in the Pigs Anonymous thread shortly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 squares are 170 cals/ 2 g. fat and 6 g. fibre for 3 WW Points.
33 carbs so LCarbers will not be pleased.

But why would I spend money and 3 points on "candy" when I can just pop a calcium pill for 500 grams?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #8  

I like the Body Smarts - there are bars too, but I agree, it is sort of like buying candy. And for calcium you can also just have a few Tums (don't know how many calories in Tums but I reckon less than Body Smarts).

I like puffed wheat for a cereal, 50 cals a cup so you can have a humongous bowl and still not be too calorific. They don't really go mushy in milk either. And are they cheap! (Which I like, cuz I am a cheapskate indeed).

Lidian
Old 05-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #9  

I stick with the Wasa Light Crisp Bread..I like them. Also for Snack I like to get a couple of pieces of light wheat bread (40cals/slice) and put a little non fat butter on them...would also be good for breakfast.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:30 PM   #10  

Melba Toast is good too-I think it is 1 pt for 3 pieces. They also come in rounds -not sure how many per pt.

Also the President's Choice TGTB whole wheat pretzels (squares)
which are low point (I think someone at WW said 18 pieces for 2 pts - I will check)
Old 05-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #11  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

This is what I do for pizza - not really sure on the cals. though...

Spread pizza sauce on 1 small pita, top with part skim mozzerella, top with low fat pepperoni (which tastes awful unless you cook it - but it keeps me from eating the bag while the pizza cooks)

Bake in the oven until cheese melts.

I figure it should be better, diet wise, then most pizza.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #12  

Dipping a bunch of mini pretzel thins (about 45 I think, this was from a WW site) into a low fat chocolate pudding is really good, under 200 cals and very filling.

And Jolly Ranchers are good, only about 20 cals each and you simply cannot crunch them - they last a really long time and have lots of flavour.

Lidian
Old 05-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Lidian, what the heck is a Jolly Rancher? It certainly is not a cattle guy from the Prairies!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #14  

Jolly ranchers are sour hard candies in fruit flavors-they are good
Old 05-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #15  

Those Adams Body Smarts sound yummy! I'm going to check them out...

I've been buying frozen wonton soup. It's REALLY good, but it has MSG in it. So I'm going to try making my own using the Campbell's chicken broth, etc. I'm going to make a big batch so that I can freeze it in individual portions. Why do I get the feeling I've said this somewhere else...

And the Baked Tostitos are bland but excellent with a good, low-fat dip.

Closed Thread