Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:17 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default What are your habits?

I have been thinking about lifestyle changes for myself and so I have a question for all you Alternachickies....

What habits do you want to break and what habits do you want to implement in your life in order to help yourself reach your health and fitness goals?

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 01-01-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:52 PM   #2  
a brave new me...

Angry Habits...

Oh there are so many habits I want to change...

*taking all of my vitamin pills and meds every day without skipping any doses
*less eating out and take out and more home cooked meals
*exercise, exercise, exercise
*going to bed earlier and getting up earlier
*showering and dressing as soon as I get out of bed rather than sluffing around the house in sweats and getting ready in the afternoon
*more vegetables, fruits, complex carbs, and fish
*less sugar, processed foods, white flour products
*eating breakfast everyday
*measuring food portions
*recording daily food intake in food journal
*tracking weight and measurements on a regular basis
*flossing my teeth every day instead of sporadically
*staying up to date with medical appointments: two visits to the dentist for cleanings, one visit to the ob-gyn for pap-smear, eye exam and updated lenses, back to the chiropractor for my headaches, and a complete physical at the end of the year after I have lost 40 pounds (not to mention all of the horrible infertility visits we will undoubtedly have this year)
*soaking in my hot tub more often, massages when I can afford them, weekly home facials, weekly home manicures and pedicures... pamper myself regularly (this if my favorite one)
Old 01-01-2003, 07:13 PM   #3  

I hear ya Sojo!

One of my bad habits is sitting in front of the tv and eating dinner so starting tonight I am going to eat at the dining room table instead.

I also keep promising myself that I will do this, that or the next thing and never following through I really have to stop and think what I am doing to myself...

Good habits that I want:

Eating breakfast every morning
Exercising daily
Flossing everyday
Taking my vitamins everyday (I went out and bought some last week)
Getting up and going to bed at the same times everyday
weekly pamper/spa routine for my self
eat fish 1-2 times a week

Habits I want to get rid of:

Eating in front of the tv
snacking while on the computer
stress/boredom eating
not doing the housework (I hate doing it but then it piles up and it starts stressing me out ) it affects me emotionally and mentally.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 01-01-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #4  

Habits I would like to establish:

More fruits and veg
Fewer carbs like bread, rolls & crackers
Saying no to chocolate & sugar
Making healthy stuff like soups and freezing it
Working out with weights 3x a week
And cardio (run, walk or exercise tape) 3x a week too
Drink drink drink that water/green tea!

Habits I would like to banish:

Buying anything "for the others" as an excuse to buy it for ME!
Eating when mad or frustrated or bored or celebratory
Thinking if I lose weight then I should celebrate by eating!
Seeing only the food and not the "big picture" (how I will feel and look if I eat it)

There's more I'm sure but I am getting tired and can't remember!

Lidian
Old 01-04-2003, 06:06 PM   #5  

If I stop to think about it, I'm sure there are a few.

Right now all I want to do is learn how to eat 3 meals a day.

I know that sounds weird, but I somehow only get hungry once a day and tend to eat only then. I might crave something sweet later at night - but that's about it. I know I need to spread my calories throughout the day

I am taking baby steps. This morning, I had a yogurt for breakfast and Chinese for lunch - but now it is getting toward dinner time and I have no interest in eating, although I know I should.a

maybe I'll have a small salad -

Terri
Old 01-05-2003, 01:09 PM   #6  
a brave new me...

Angry Terri...

There are a couple things you might want to consider in changing the frequency of your eating. I have a similar problem in that I never want to eat in the morning, have a small lunch, and then eat way too much for dinner and night time snacking. A couple things have really helped me.

First, like they always say... it is important to eat a breakfast because it serves to give my metabolism a boost. My metabolism is in low gear until I eat that first meal. Obviously this isn't a good thing when I am trying to lose weight.

Second, I try to eat only when I am physically hungry. That is, I really try to eat when my stomach is actually growling. Now this would seem to contradict the first point... but see number three for the catch.

Third, portion control is critical to this. I must stop eating when I am comfortable, not full or stuffed. If I stop eating before I am full, I will become hungrier more often. And guess what, this means I can eat more often... but in small, reasonable amounts. If I eat this way I end up eating several small meals a day, which is always cited as one of the healthiest ways to eat.

Last, consuming more calories earlier in the day and then STOPPING 2 to 2 1/2 hours before bedtime will really help in weight loss.

So, here is what this looks like... stop eating now and wait until your stomach is physically growling. Make something you will really enjoy and eat a small portion slowly. Drink a big glass of water with it. The food portion should be no larger than your two fists. Pay careful attention to your body's hunger signals and STOP when you feel those first signs of comfort... this may be before your plate is empty and definitely before you are full. It doesn't take much food to get there and it may take some practice re-sensitizing yourself to your body's signals. Then wait until you are hungry again, which will probably be in just a few hours. Then eat again. Repeat throughout the day but you should stop eating a few hours before bed. You will likely go to bed a little hungry and wake up hungry the next morning, ready for breakfast. This is how naturally thin people eat... you know... those people who never gain a pound but seem like they eat all day long.

I have to constantly remind myself that this physical tummy growling is a sign that my stomach is empty and is heading towards those fat deposits for a little snack!! If I want to eat when my stomach isn't growling... then its time for me to take a look at what I really want or need and am trying to fill with food. When I eat this way, I always lose weight. I don't give my body enough food that it ends up storing anything as fat... plus I give it opportunities to hit the fat storages. And best of all, I get to eat several times a day! Of course, all this is easier said than done, as most things with weight loss, but again I try to take baby steps and small changes towards a healthy eating lifestyle.

Sorry this is so long... just wanted to share what works for me.

Last edited by Sojourner; 01-05-2003 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #7  

Yay! I have managed to maintain a nightly face cleansing/moisturising routine and flossed 3 nights in a row!

Forming new habits one step at a time
Old 01-06-2003, 08:13 AM   #8  

Thanks for the advice Sojo. I will be working on this.

PS - Are you getting excited about your big trip?

Happy New Year!

Terri
Old 01-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #9  
a work in progress...

That really was great advice, Sojo...I plan on giving it a try. The whole concept of "Eating when you're actually hungry" is so foreign to my poor, maligned system...mine usually operates under the "See food/eat it" principle...

So...just for today...I will eat ONLY when I am hungry...and my food choices will be good and nourishing...AND I will drink lots of water in between meals...AND I will exercise...

...just for today...

I'll think about tomorrow, tomorrow!
Closed Thread