Happy Yule!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • A happy and blessed Yule to our members who celebrate. May your fires burn bright, your hearts be warm, and may the return of the light fill you with hope for the days ahead.

Don't forget to burn your bayberry candles...said to bring good luck for the coming year!

(If you see a faint glow in the sky over the Burlington area, it's just the truckload of bayberry candles I'm settin' fire to! DON'T BE CALLIN' THE FIRE DEPARTMENT! )
  • THANKS!! HOPE THAT YULE BE VERY HAPPY TOO!!!
  • I just came in from the meadow behind the barn and watched the moon start to show. Happy YULE!
  • Also eating black eyed peas on New Years day is thought to bring good luck for the year. Happy Yule to all my sisters.
  • Yuletide greetings to all...

Den, you kill me.
  • Happy Yule, girls!!

okay... I need some bayberry candles and some black-eyed peas (isn't that Asian?)... And a yule log...

"A candle may be left burning overnight to call the Sun, and the doors should be flung open the following morning, and bells rung to greet the Oak King."
  • Well, we have the Sun - as to the Oak King, I'm still hoping. Maybe tonight?
  • Happy Yule to all who celebrate and to those who do not as well!
  • Qui est la Oak King anyhow?
  • Happy Winter Solstice everyone! A Merry Yule to you too!
  • Happy winter solstice, happy Yule, happy buche de Noel ---

We used to watch the Yule log on TV when I was a kid - very festive! My mother hated that - it just didn't look like a fireplace. Also fireplaces generally don't have Muzak emanating from them. At least none I've seen!

I hope Yule all have a lovely Yule, my dears --

Lidian
  • Actually black-eyed peas is a southern dish, but it may be asian in origin, who knows? Get the canned ones with theseasoning, and just add a little Canadian bacon and let simmer for a bit, then enjoy!
  • Hmmm... I wonder what the heck I was thinking about, Velvet? Perhaps I was thinking of red bean paste.

One of our traditions in Canada (in particular in British Columbia) is the Polar Bear Swim. I don't think that requires an explanation. My sister's MIL used to do it. I don't know about you girls, but I'd need a pretty substantial reward to get me to go into that freezing cold water.
  • I don't even go in a heated indoor swimming pool this time of year, Ellis! There would have to be a large cash incentive in it for me to do a Polar Bear swim. And plenty of hot chocolate and flattery too!

And even then, I'd probably just stay inside and watch!

Lidian