Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:52 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default LesBiAlternachicksandfriends

Hey everyone!

Just thought I would start a new thread as the old one is getting a bit long.

Soozie-how are your holiday plans going? Did you get all your shopping done for your daughter yet?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:38 AM   #2  
the kid's counting on me!

Hi Mauvais,
Thanks for making the new thread. I saw Amy's post...I hope she drops in. Amy if you are reading this tell me how old your daughter is. Ours is five, but she'll be six in March and is in Kindergarten this year.

I'm looking at summer camp programs for her for this summer. Wow! The day camp that we're looking at will cost close to $400. per week. So, could I just give her a card that says...Merry Christmas, Santa is sending you to camp this summer? Just kidding. We already bought her an American Girl doll dog. If you don't know what American Girl dolls are consider yourself blessed. Or check out the website at
http://www.americangirl.com

She only had two things on her Christmas list; a disco ball and a "real" guitar.
I bought her a 1/2 size Santa Rosa steel string guitar on Ebay. The guy who sold it to me was really nice and put nylon strings on so she could learn with those since they're much easier on the fingers. When she gets going we can switch to steel.

I'm really excited about that! Even though she probably won't let me teach her anything. I've tried to teach her Hot Cross Buns or Mary Had a Little Lamb on the piano. I know she could learn a simple song like that. But, she just looks at me with disgust and says...."Mom". With an intonation that reminds me of an annoyed fifteen year old!!! (like, Oh Mom, you're so dumb!!!)

So, she pounds away composing her own melodies...that's okay with me and she'll most likely do the same with the guitar unless I hire someone else to teach her which I'll do eventually.

OH, I'm rambling.
Talk to you later
Soozie
Old 12-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #3  

Soozie - are you looking at camp websites?

Could you let me know the URLs?

DD and I want to attend a Mother-Daughter camp week somewhere next summer......maybe Maine or someplace like that!

That is if it can fit into the budget !

Terri
Old 12-10-2002, 04:35 PM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

That's cool Soozie!! She's composing!! My guys started out that way and now #1 plays some piano and electric guitar and #2 plays viola. I think if you push them too much when they're little they lose interest. #1 started out with a junky acoustic guitar, and just picked songs out. Now he is pretty darn good on his electric guitar!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM   #5  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Ok so when is the first Alternachicks kid concert????
Old 12-11-2002, 11:38 AM   #6  

Squeak- There is NOTHING worse than beginning viola or violin. EXCEPT beginning electric guitar (with amp on high!!) I LOVE music and didn't want to discourage the kiddies, so imagine me gritting my teeth, pretending the tears running down my face were tears of joy, while saying, "That was LOVELY dear!!!" FINALLY they are getting to be pretty good (viola player) and REALLY good (electric guitar player...it helps that we like the same type of music too!!!)
Old 12-12-2002, 02:42 AM   #7  
the kid's counting on me!

We use a little tape recorder to record my DD's songs because they are so funny and sweet sometimes! Yeah, Den, I don't want to push her or start lessons before she is ready. Don't want to turn her off or get her frustrated. What age did you give your son his first guitar lessons?

I've heard six years old for keyboard or piano?

I'm not looking a camp websites online...just hadn't thought of that believe it or not but now I will! and I'll let you know. A mother daughter program sounds so nice! Do you think they'd let two Mommies come for the price of one?

I haven't been eating too well...last two days...gotta get on track...didn't go to gym Tues or Wed. Hopefully will have time to get there this morning. Have DD's school conference and then working this afternoon and evening.

talk to you later.
Soozie
Old 12-12-2002, 08:25 AM   #8  

When the kids were about 6 and 9 my MIL started giving them piano lessons. The younger one gave it up afterless than a year. The older one kept it up until about a year ago when he decided he wanted to devote entirely to the guitar. He has been taking guitar lessons for a year and a half. DH used to help him pick out songs, but I have NO clue when it comes to string instruments ( I played the flute.) I think what age you start them at depends on the kid. I think #1 would have been ready at 6, #2 wasn't!! NOW, however, he is really into his viola lessons!!

I think it is great that you record her songs Soozie!! DH used to record conversations with the kids when they were little. Get them talking about different topics. It is so great to hear those "baby voices" again!! #1's voice is starting to change, so it is REALLY different then it used to be! (He is getting a fuzzy little mustache too!! Clichéd or not, I can't believe how fast they are growing up!!!)

Last edited by dentrassi; 12-12-2002 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #9  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

My kids Christmas concert is on Monday night at 7pm. Should be cute. Both son and daughter are playing the recorder in it, plus singing their hearts out.
Virginia
Old 12-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #10  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Phew.....I just got done wrapping xmas gifts! It took about an hour and a half! But at least I'm all caught up on the gift wrapping.

I'm expecting a busy night at the restaurant tonight. And it's my shift, so I hope all goes well. Not to mention that I hope I make good tips too! LOL

They are calling for freezing rain here tonight. I'd rather drive in 10 feet of snow than have to drive in freezing rain.

How are the rest of the ladies here doing today? Out doing some xmas shopping?

My daughter is having her 9th bday party on the 21st of this month. I pretty have that in order except for the cake. Which I'm going to order tomorrow. She wants an icecream cake. I guess that's like killing two birds with one stone! LOL

Well, I'm off to watch Dr. Phil. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Oh and by the way, not sure who mentioned these on the thread before, I think it was Lidian, but I went out and bought sone Brandy Beans today. MMMMMM MMMMM MMMMMM

Talk with you all soon.
Kelly
Old 12-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Kelly, drive carefully tonight sweetie!!
Got to run and get ready for Christmas party number two. darn.

love and hugs to all...
xoxo
Old 12-14-2002, 05:52 AM   #12  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Well it's 5:45 in the morning and as it looks, I don't see that we got any freezing rain. But let me tell you, I am soooo tired and it's only going to get worse until tomorrow night.

I worked last night at my full time waitressing job until 12:30, got home unwinded and was in bed by 1:20. Alaram went off this morning at 5:30 so I can get up and get ready for my part time job at 7 a.m. I work there until 2 p.m. Then I'm rushing back to watch my son play hockey at 3. Then I'm back at my full time job at 5 till oh.....10 or 11 tonight. Then I'm back at my part time job at 8 a.m. till 2 p.m. Then to my full time job at 4 till 9ish. So by tomorrow tonight I should be totally and completely exhausted!

I hope all you gals are doing great and trying to get you xmas shopping done this weekend.

Well I'm off to hop in the shower. If I have any time between jobs today I'll drop by and check out the thread. If not, talk to you all tomorrow morning!

Kelly
Old 12-14-2002, 06:14 AM   #13  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Kelly
Take it easy hun! Don't burn yourself out! Still 10 more days till the big day and you need to reserve your energy. Sending you good vibes! Take care!
Virginia
Old 12-14-2002, 07:11 AM   #14  

Height: 5'-2"

only 10 more days!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!!! The decoration boxes are still in the living room!
My gosh... I can just imagine. After Xmas it'll be, "Well, isn't THIS convenient! Here are the boxes for the decorations! All ready for us!"
Old 12-14-2002, 11:44 PM   #15  

We spent the night at my parents' last night to celebrate my Mom's birthday. We had WAY too much to eat, even though i tried to watch it. We went to an Indian Buffet for lunch, and I couldn't even TASTE everything!!! Just too much choice, and not enough stomach room. (And BELIEVE me, I can eat a lot!!) Sure was tasty!!!
Closed Thread