Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:54 PM   #16  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

DS #2 drinks soy milk because he hates the stuff from cows and I want him to get some calcium in. (Calcium added.) I'm allergic to soy, so don't drink the stuff. I DO, however, love edamame and eat it in spite of my allergy!!!

How fair is it? I LOVE tofu, and I'm not supposed to eat it!! Why couldn't I be allergic to potato chips? (HEY, I'd probably eat them anyway!)
Old 11-28-2002, 02:56 AM   #17  
the kid's counting on me!

Default we'll live with the longest subject line in history!

Mauvais, Thanks for trying! we'll have to live with it!

And Mauvais, you spelled dreidel and Chanukah correctly...you go girl!!!
I am embarrassed to say that I have to check the calendar to be sure which night is the first night of Chanukah...I'm almost positive that it starts on Friday night after Thanksgiving. The problem is you always have to check because the first day of Chanukah is the day after the first night of Chanukah, because Jewish holidays start at sundown.

So, sometimes if an American calendar says "first day of Chanukah" it could either be the first night of Chanukah or the first day which means, if it is the first day, you should have lit the first candles the night before! So, I'll confirm and let you know...have to anyway because we do light the menorah each night and say the blessing.

DD loves it and DP actually can sing the two blessings with us in Hebrew. Well, she has been with me for 15 years so, she picked them up eventually, and I have a piece of paper...its almost ten years old and we use it every year...with the prayers written out in transliteration...which means the Hebrew words sounded out in English so DP can read them.

It is fun and a neat ritual.
To everyone celebrating something!
Happy, Happy, and Enjoy and make decisions you can feel good about
concerning food! As I always say...hope it doesn't get on anyone's nerves...
eat as though your life depended on it!
Love, Soozie
Old 11-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #18  

Soozie-How do you combine traditions from your background and your DP's?
Some of the other families I know with multiple traditions combine them, and some choose one or the other. I am always curious about how people resolve that.....
Old 11-28-2002, 10:21 PM   #19  

We decided to raise DD as Jewish. But, since DP is Catholic we respect her religion and celebrate her holidays with her as she celebrates our holidays with us. We do all of the Jewish holidays with my family and spend Christmas and Easter at DP's parent's house.

We wanted our DD to have a clear identity and Judism...especially reformed and reconstructionist Judism can be very progressive and inclusive. It just seemed at better option for our DD. My Jewish culture is very important to me though I'm not very "religious" in a traditional sense. I love alot of the rituals. I also feel very connected to my DP's Italian heritage and we include that in our lives as well. Our DD knows alot about her family's history and ALOT about all of the foods we Jews and Italians eat!!!! It seems both of our cultures are wrapped up in food...as in Essen mine Kinder!!! and Mangia! Mangia!!!

Love Soozie
Old 11-28-2002, 10:35 PM   #20  

When it comes to eating and food I respect ALL cultures!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 06:58 AM   #21  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Soozie,
You are so together girl, and such a wonderful mother to your DD. SHe is a very lucky little girl to have two parents who love her so much and to share your cultures and backgrounds of both sides is fantastic.
Hugs
Virginia
Old 11-29-2002, 09:31 AM   #22  

I think Soozie's family's approach is to be commended. I've never understood why all family cultures and faiths can't be blended and combined.........life is so much richer that way.

My DD's birth mother is Korean. Although there has been no contact since DD was an infant, we've always encouraged her to learn and appreciate that part of her heritage. It gets pretty interesting at mealtime sometimes. She insists on eating with chopsticks most of time, regardless of what we're having. It's fun to watch her eat Campbell's chicken noodle soup that way!

Terri
Old 11-29-2002, 10:32 AM   #23  

Thanks girls...we have our bad days too...its not all rosy! Just mostly!
Terri, that is too cute. It is so nice that you have supported your daughter's exploration of her birth culture! That is so important.

Our favorite restaurant is a Chinese, Japanese,Thai blend. The owners are from Taiwan. The food is excellent and healthy. It is DD's favorite and she always asks to go there. DP bought DD nice chopsticks for Christmas last year. DD loves to use them just like your little chickquita! She uses them whenever we have rice or any kind of Asian type foods.

We have to put a rubber band around the top. She doesn't have the dexterity down yet. But, I always get a kick out of watching her eat vegetable sushi with her chop sticks. She picks a piece up and plops it right in her mouth and I'm thinking...Wow...she's eating seaweed and rice and veggies...whose child is she...at that age for me it was Captain Crunch or nothing!
Love,Soozie
Old 11-29-2002, 03:21 PM   #24  

Height: 5'-2"

HEY! Where is Wildfire? She popped in for a quickie, I mercilessly teased her, and she hasn't come back! Wildfire? I was teasing! I love you!!! Come back!!
Old 11-29-2002, 07:36 PM   #25  
a work in progress...

[SIZE=HUGE]HAPPY CHANUKAH, SOOZIE! [/SIZE]

Sounds like you have a perfect blend of religions and traditions...your daughter is a lucky little girl...she's an alternachick ALREADY!! how cool for her!

I hope everyone had a grand holiday...

NOW, LOOK OUT!!!

Here comes Christmas!

it'll be here before you know it!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:48 PM   #26  

Happy Chanukah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:22 PM   #27  

Thanks girls, and Kat, Wow fancy! Nice use of color doll!
Old 11-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #28  
HW 195/CW 152/GW 125

Hello Ladies, anyone remember me? It has been quite a while, so I hope that those that do remember me don't shun me! LOL!

The Good news is while I have been away for over a month, probably 2 months!, I haven't gained too much back! I haven't weighed in over a week, but at that time it was only 2-3 pounds...course that was before Thanksgiving!

I am going to try to read some of the old posts & catch up with those old timers that have been here for awhile!
Old 11-30-2002, 09:09 PM   #29  
a work in progress...

OH Christina!!! Welcome back! How ARE you, hon? We've been wondering about you. I hope all is well. Go read and come back and give us the scoop!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:03 AM   #30  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome back Christina! Hope you are doing okay. We were all kind of worried about you and wondering where you were.
Closed Thread