Movin' Our Booties! Exercise Support

You're on Page 6 of 9
Go to
  • Wowie...
    I just did my new Pilates video and that thing kicked my as ! Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the 60 minute tape. This is my first time trying Pilates and it was more difficult than expected... manageable but definitely a work out! I can see how Pilates can whip those muscles into shape! Now I have discovered several new muscles in my mid-section.

On a happy note... I am down 1 1/2 pounds so far this week! Now I just need to stay focused through the weekend...

• You gals are doing great with the exercise so I though you might like to read all about the benefits. I walk and do linedancing myself but feel that I should be doing more.

50 Reasons to Exercise

by Monica Neave

1. Burn calories
    2. Increase your metabolism
    3. Lose weight
    4. Lower your body fat
    5. Lower your bmi
    6. Prevent weight gain
    7. Build muscle & get stronger
    8. Increase endurance & stamina
    9. Feel energized
    10. Increase self-esteem and confidence
    11. Feel & look healthy
    12. Look younger
    13. Burn your fat clothes
    14. No more starving yourself
    15. Enjoy all types of food without gaining weight
    16. Improve circulation
    17. Relieve stress
    18. Reduce anxiety levels
    19. Alleviate depression
    20. Prevent injuries
    21. Reduce low-back pain
    22. Strengthen joints
    23. Alleviate or prevent migraine headaches
    24. Alleviate or reduce pms
    25. Improve immune system
    26. Sleep better
    27. Improve balance & coordination
    28. Improve posture
    29. Increase or maintain flexibility
    30. Lower resting heart rate (gives your heart a break)
    31. Lower or control blood pressure
    32. Reduce total cholesterol
    33. Reduce circulating levels of triglycerides
    34. Reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s
    35. Reduce the risk of heart disease
    36. Reduce the risk of cancer
    37. Reduce the risk of stroke
    38. Reduce the risk of colon cancer
    39. Reduce the risk of breast cancer
    40. Increase insulin sensitivity and prevent adult onset diabetes (type II diabetes)
    41. Increase or maintain your bone mineral density to prevent osteoporosis
    42. Live a longer and better quality life
    43. Set a good example for others (your kids, relatives, friends)
    44. Quit smoking with less trouble
    45. Live an independent lifestyle as you age
    46. Increase your pain threshold
    47. Feel the rush of endorphins
    48. Participate in fund raising walks/runs without a problem
    49. Be the one everyone wishes they looked like
    50. Get complimented on a regular basis
  • went to the gym today with DH. He wanted to spend extra time doing some weights, so I decided go back on the treadmill for another 10 minutes. I RAN FOR 8 MINUTES!!! I'm so proud of myself!
  • Thanks for the inspiration Mooz!

Ellis-way to go!

I was at Walmart on Tuesday and bought a Pilates tape. It has 3 different workouts on it. The first one is for 10 minutes. You can do only one or all three if you want. I thought this would be a good way to get started especially since I want to work out in the mornings and don't have time for a full hour workout.
    Wish me luck!
  • Yay Mauvais!! Get to it, hon! You can do it!

I think 10 minute bites of exercise are the best!
  • Ellis, running for 8 minutes! Wow, you go girl! I can run for two or three intervals of 1 to 1 1/2 minutes now. But 8 wow!
    Virginia
  • Virginia, I KNEW you'd appreciate that! Thank you. bow.
    Actually, I was going to tell you, sweetie... I was so inspired by you doing it!!
    I didn't run very fast, but it felt great. We're going to be babes, Virginia.

Speaking of babes, where the heck is that little Dentrassi? Are you walking and crunching, hon?
  • Wonderful...
    Way to go on the running Ellis and Virginia! I have to get my bootie back out there one more time this week. My abs are sore this morning from that Pilates video. Three exercise sessions for the week down... one more to go to reach my goal of four.

• Sore abs... don't they feel great, Sojo!? Keep it up, girl!!
  • Ellis, you are da bomb baby! Keep it up you are doing so great, and your whole attitude seems to have changed. You sound great!
    On this Thanksgiving, of course I am thankful for the usual and very important aspects of my life , like my hubby, kids , family, friends and my health, but I am also thankful for all of you.
    Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
    Virginia
  • Sat am
    Hello all!

Look out world!! There's no stopping this group!

Isn't it great how fast you progress even when its in small steps?? Gives a whole to meaning the expression "The hardest step is the first one"
    Everyone is really moving along so well that I feel as though its made it easier for me, " I'm catching your draft" as they say in car racing. Perhaps I can return the favor later.

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celeberating Monday. Here in the states, we celebrate in November- Makes me curious, did we borrow the holiday or ....???

We had almost 3 days of wonderful rain-- we are still on drought restrictions but at least everything is green again. So far have just putzed around enjoying that rainy Saturday feeling. But now that I'm so motivated, I'm going to go finish the book I'm reading ( Lake News - Barbara Delinsky) on the stationery bike.

This am showed a 1lb loss - hoping the "Total Gym" motivated that plateau I've been on the past 3 weeks- Hope that 1lb stays lost!!

Thanks for the 50 reason list!! I plan on posting it on the fridge--
    May borrow that list to post on some other threads too!!

Take care all!!
  • Hi all, can someone please tell me about Pilates! What is it, does it hurt, I have no idea!??
    Virginia

• Hi all - good to see that everyone is doing great.

Kaylets - I don't mind if you borrow the list as I borrowed it from the internet somewhere too. The more chicks that it helps the better.

Here is some more:

Ten Top Tips To Tip The Scales Your Way

By Moss Greene ©2002
    CREATE YOUR OWN VIRTUAL REALITY.
    Do you think of yourself as fit or fat? If your answer is fat, anything you try to do to change that will be a futile struggle. Learn to imagine yourself as slender, fit and energetic. When the “fit” vision dominates your thoughts, you will easily start to become what you imagine.

EAT NUTRITIOUS WHOLE FOODS.
    Permanently changing the way you eat to a healthy diet of low fat protein, fresh fruits and vegetables and 100% whole grains is the best way to reach and maintain your optimum weight. Add natural whole food nutritional supplements and you’re on your way to slender, buoyant, vibrant good health.

ELIMINATE HIGH GLYCEMIC FOODS.
    Processed grains, sugar and other carbohydrates that cause a high glycemic response are the biggest saboteurs of your weight management plans. The resulting insulin release causes you to store fat and crave sugars. Follow my Glycemic Response Guidelines for the best results.

DRINK PLENTY OF PURE LIQUIDS.
    Clean water is the perfect drink. Eight glasses a day is a good basic guideline and helps you to feel full. If you want something sweet to drink, you can always add several drops of liquid stevia (a sweet tasting non-caloric herbal extract) to either herb tea or lemon water.

MOVE YOUR BODY. BUILD MUSCLE.
    Exercise and a good lean muscle to fat ratio helps to keep your metabolism working optimally. It also benefits your bones, heart and your whole body. So move it as much as possible. Walk, garden, ride your bike, climb stairs or pump some iron. Exercise, or just be active in any way you can that makes you feel good.

INCREASE HIGH FIBER FOODS.
    Besides being good for your intestines, your heart and for protecting you from certain kinds of cancers, fiber also makes you feel full and satisfied. If you need more than you’re getting in your diet, try adding a daily fiber drink of unsweetened psyllium and mixed nutritional fibers.

CUT OUT BAD FATS, ADD GOOD ONES.
    High levels of saturated fats, processed vegetable oils and trans-fatty acids, are bad for your health. Plus, they add empty calories to your diet. Stick with small amounts of organic butter for cooking, virgin olive oil for salads and eat more fish and whole grains for the good quality omega-3 and omega-6 oils.

ENJOY DOING IT YOUR WAY.
    Studies show that most of the people who are successful with weight management adjust whatever plan they are using to suit themselves. If your program says have 5 meals a day, but 4 suits you better, then do what works for you and what makes you happy.

HAVE A SIMPLE ORGANIZED PLAN.
    When you find out what works for you, work your plan. Find recipes you like. Have healthy foods available at all times. When you go to a restaurant, take your favorite salad dressing and fruit along for dessert. Stay on top of your program.

FORGIVE YOURSELF AND MOVE ON.
    Guilt, self-pity and irritation have no useful value. When you stray from your plan, don’t waste any time feeling bad. Talk yourself into feeling positive about your action instead of negative. Then get right back on purpose. Remember, you deserve to be fit, trim and healthy.
  • Thanks for the info Mooz!

Well I walked a lot this past week and went to dance class so I think I did okay.

Virginia-pilates is a program of stretches designed to tone and elongate your body. I don't know that much about it as I am just starting out.

Ellis-I found my quote again so I am no longer posting naked
    well not that you can all see me but I swear I am wearing my leopard print pjs

• Hi gals.
    Mauvaisroux - what sort of dancing do you do? I go linedancing twice a week and it is great fun. Pilates sounds good.

Anne