Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 03:47 PM   #91  
a brave new me...

Talking Knotty hair...

I would love to have knotty hair... actually I've been wanting dread locks forever (either that or an afro). But alas, my silky straight Caucasion hair doesn't seem to want to cooperate. My best friend is a hair stylist and she swears she can gnarl my hair into some decent dreads with a combination of ratting, perm solution, crimping, and twisting.... ! Since I just chopped my hair off for the summer I will have to wait awhile. Or I could join my other best friend who actually is African-American and get extensions put in... but that is very expensive and a pain. But someday I will have them!

(that's supposed to be me with three big dread locks!)
Old 09-15-2002, 04:03 PM   #92  

Height: 5'-2"

Sojo, I've got silky straight Caucasion hair, too. I hate it. Why did BOTH of my parents have to be sickly white Brits?!
Listen, all you have to do is stop brushing it. You wash it, put it up in a big messy bun on top of your head, and start fiddling with it. Before you know it, you're all knotted up!
Old 09-15-2002, 04:14 PM   #93  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What a bunch of squirrely LesBiAlternachicks!

Anyone who wants a Portuguese Water Dog mat can send me their snail mail and I promise you will get one - from a VIRGIN PWD too! Please indicate if you want coaster size or thimble resting size. We pay postage! This will be a freebie but after that they will be as expensive as those Logan Airport baskets!

(Ellis, maybe we could interest them in a removed corn collection?)

By the way, last wake I was at, I told my pal David, the Funeral Director, the changed heads joke. He really lost it! and, after the "festivities" were over, he invited me to partake of some single malt which seems to be standard equipment in country funeral places!
Old 09-15-2002, 06:20 PM   #94  

Ummm, excuse my naivety, but what the **** is a VIRGIN PWD?!
Listen girls, I just can't keep up with all these new-fangled expressions you're throwing around here. I'm a SAHM, and I don't get out much. Please be explicit. (Ruth, whatever the **** they are, I'll take one of each)

ooooo la la! A corn collection! I could contribute ummm... let's see... THREE!!! Damn, I've got THREE! I keep taking the nail clippers to them, but it just ain't workin'. Don't tell me I have to get some of those thingys... couldn't I just tie a piece of raw potato on my toe and the damned things'll just fall off?

Listen, Ruth... next time you get a shot of single malt on one of my jokes, YOU OWE ME!! Okay, any bets that David will use that joke to his advantage? Uh huh? Bet you don't want to be waked THERE, do ya Ruthie?!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:15 PM   #95  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Hmmmm...... I don't have to listen to anyone, except for you guys. Ok I think I can handle that

I have been slowly trying to pull away from my friend who really is bad for me, I want to lose touch rather then me say "I think you're an idiot" because that would just upset both of us. It hasn't been too bad, except I think she is breaking up with the guy she is dating now. At least that is what the boy told me.

As for him, I said I wasn't going to see him, but I have called him once, sent 3 text messages to his phone, got 2 calls from him, and 1 message. He sent 2 more but they got lost somewhere since I didn't put a "reply to" address. And he is sending me postcards, and he says a letter (which he has never written one to me before - email - yes, real letter - no). Plus I already have 2 cards picked out to send him. I have no intention of ignoring him for 3 months, just not seeing him. If I hadn't taken a week & a half off to see him in Lake Placid, I probably would be going out there. I am fine with it, he is fine with it, screw everyone else. (except you girls )

Ruthxxx - what exactly is a Portugese Water Dog mat anyway???
Ellis - what is SAHM?
Sojo- Love the dreadlocks Extentions would be cool....
Soozie - It is ok to lecture. It gives things a wonderful perspective.
Den - I like that - Make the leap just leap sensibly. Somehow it makes sense.
Kat - WOO HOOO on going to the gym!!!!! (you too Ellis!!!!) You girls rock!
(and the rest of you do too!)

squeak
Old 09-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #96  

Huh! I didn't know what it was either, Squeaker. Until Ruth deciphered it for me.
SAHM= stay at home mom
Who knew?

Yes, don't upset yourself with a fast break with your girlfriend. Hopefully you can take it slow and she'll ease off on the relationship.
People don't usually get the message when I "cool off" with them, and I end up getting frustrated and blowing up. NOT a very healthy way to end a relationship, but sometimes it seems the only way with some people.

How nice... you're getting a REAL letter! Hang on to that, hon!

where am I....?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:09 AM   #97  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HELLO!!!!!

Ellis-Keep up the good work at the Y!!! I am actually feeling better now than I have all weekend, which probably means I'll be up until 3 am!!!!!!! HEY!! If I want to pull a Van Gogh I'll do it MYSELF thank you very much!!! THANKYOU FOR THE CONGRATULATIONS (takes bow.) Actually, usually when I save it it ISN'T wiped, and when I DON'T save it it IS wiped!!!!

Squeak-Don't let anyone treat you like a doormat!!! It took me a lot longer to learn that than it appears to be taking you!!! Good for you for taking care of yourself in relation to the so called friend!!! It is great if you can do it nicely, but if you can't, YOU are the important one here. Glad you and the boy are keeping in touch!!!

Ruth-He didn't laugh nervously and look at the coffins when you told him the joke did he? WOW!! If he brings out the "good stuff" for funny jokes you are going to have to visit on a regular basis!!!!

Sojourner-I love dreadlocks too!!! I have wavy hair, but it is still that too fine Brit stuff. My sister's DP chopped mine after we had all had "a few drinks." We had a lot of fun, and it looked great!! I decided to keep it short after that. Overdue now, though!!! I once gave myself a buzz cut. It looked TERRIBLE!! It felt WONDERFUL though. It was a hot summer, and every time i walked under a ceiling fan I could feel it. And I could wash my hair with a wash cloth. GEEZ!! I wish I could carry off that look. I really liked it for comfort!!

Katrina-GOOD FOR YOU for going to the gym!!! That is great!!
Old 09-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #98  
a brave new me...

Angry Hair

Well, I've done pretty much everything an alternachick can do with her hair. Way back when I too have sported a buzz cut... actually it was an honest to goodness flat top with a little curl of a bang. In high school I dyed my hair bright red and shaved off the sides... which was about as close to a mohawk as I dared go for fear of the wrath of my mother. Its been long, short, curly, straight, dyed, natural, pin curled, piggy-tailed, baretted, braided, hair pieced, wigged, crimped, glittered, slicked, spiked, and everything in between. Still no dreads though!

Now that my best friend is a funky and brilliant hair stylist, I have my hair dyed various amusing colors, usually at least three bold colors weaved together, along with the most up to date hair styles. She sort of uses me as her guinea pig after she gets the latest training. Right now it is short like a grown out Halle Berry, however, my bangs are cropped super short. I have fallen in love with these super short bangs and am not going to give them up for awhile. This week she am dying my hair dark dark brown with bright red and blonde chunks. Normally she charges $125 for a cut and three color weave so its nice to have a friend like her! I am spoiled as she does my hair every month for free.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:32 AM   #99  

Wow! Glad to see all the fun y'all have been having while I was snowed under with work last week

It was a rough one...sheesh - anybody want to trade jobs?

I came up for air yesterday and starting to feel better. I must admit I had never heard of a Portuguese Water Dog before

I made the hubster a decent low carb dinner last night - I feel like I really accomplished something

this really has been a whole lifestyle change - learning how to cook differently, eat differently, starting to exercise now, thinking about food differently - all of it! but I am glad to report that my Target $7.99 size 1x shorts are falling off my booty! yeah!!!

I do have one more thing I would like to mention here because you all are really the only ones who wouldn't freak......

An online friend is trying to set me up on a blind date with another bimarried woman who lives near me. I am scared to death......I haven't done a blind date in years and never weighing over 200 lbs! eek! run! hide!
We've talked and she seems really nice and interesting and laid back and Pagan like you all - I am just scared - what is up with that???

Anyway here I sit, toasting you all with my cup of joe - happy to see that others are having more fun than me - working for a living is a drag.......

love and hugs, terrigrrrl
Old 09-16-2002, 08:58 PM   #100  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Terrigrrrl
Go for it girl!
Virginia
Old 09-16-2002, 09:09 PM   #101  
Hot Stuff

Oh, terrigrrrl......you gotta watch us laid back Pagan types....most definitely trouble! (Can you picture me stirring a cauldron humming "bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble" or whatever that saying is ) Seriously, though....I say go for it! At worst, you won't hit it off and don't have to see each other again, at best you'll get along great and be so glad you met, and then there's always the chance that you'll find yourself a wonderful friend. The way I see it, you can't lose. So when it is? We want details, darling!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:49 PM   #102  

oh, the details

We are having dinner this Friday and I can't imagine what I will wear to hide the hips

She is a bigger grrrl too, so she should understand.......but you never know?

let me see, what do I know about her.....she loves to travel (check!), she is a Pagan ( check! he he), she is smart and funny (check!) she loves massages (check and blush), she loves womyn (check!), she is a lover of all things Celtic and studies Gaelic ( neat! check!)

and on our only phone conversation, I was very nervous, but not nervous when we chatted online... must be that Internet thing.

hopefully I won't be too nervous at dinner. She did say something great though...she said that the only thing that matters is the friendship and everything else comes after that - so no expectations, just take it as it comes- that relaxed me.....

thanks for asking.......now I am getting antsy like Terri

how are *you* doing Wildfire? love, terrigrrrl
Old 09-17-2002, 10:24 PM   #103  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

It is "Double, double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble." MacBeth Act 4 Scene 1. (The exact scene I looked up - but I knew which play) Sorry but I am a Shakespeare geek. I own the complete works, and voluntarily took 2 college classes - one on the Histories and Tradgedies, the other on the Comedies and Romances.

But anyway I am glad things went well barefootTerri.

I am trying to take up ceramics. Tonight was my first class. It was fun. I figure it will at least give me something to do and get me out of the house once a week.
Talked to the boy again tonight. I was going to wait until this weekend to call since that is when he has unlimited time on his cell, but he called me. We spent 20 minutes on the phone that seemed much more like 5. And for the 2nd time in a week he has managed to call within 5 minutes of me getting home. He didn't even know I was out. I asked him how he keeps doing that. He likes his job. His company is also doing a project very very similar to the one I am working on. He tried to get me to move out there. I told him no. I want to be around my nephew. I don't want him to grow up while I live on the opposite coast.

Hi to all of you wonderful chickies!!!!!

squeak

Last edited by squeaker; 09-17-2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #104  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Well, if we are going to be witches I would like to be a Nanny Ogg witch instead of a MacBeth witch (hmm, although I am Scottish )

barefootgrrl- have fun at your dinner, whatever comes of it sounds exciting to be meeting someone new and she sounds very interesting!

Squeaker-what are you making in ceramics class? I made a whale tissue box cover for my tropical fish inspired bathroom. He is so cute! The Kleenex comes out the top where the blowhole is so it looks like he is spouting water...yes I know, sounds silly and totally unalternative I loved Shakespeare in high school English Lit. class so we are both Shakespearean geeks
Old 09-17-2002, 10:56 PM   #105  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HEY!! DH and I (ESPECIALLY DH!!) are Shakespeare Geeks too!!! Pre kids we used to get together with friends, divide up the parts and do interpretive readings of some of his plays!!! Of course we have also done that with Winnie the Pooh. Dh insists that I add that he is even MORE of a Chaucer Geek.
Closed Thread