3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Commitment a Week (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/19676-commitment-week.html)

Sojourner 09-02-2002 01:33 AM

Commitment a Week

Hi everyone!

Here is a helpful tool that I am trying out in order to succeed with weight loss. The idea is to commit to make one healthy change each week... each small step leading up to a healthier lifestyle and hopefully beautiful svelte bodies! And yes, at the end of the week you have to stick with the change and then adopt another one for the next week. I like the concept because it makes change seem manageable and incremental.

Here is my commitment for this coming week:

I will not eat after 8 pm.

That's it, anyone else care to post a commitment for the week starting Sunday, September 1, 2002?? :goodvibes

Wanttolosealot 09-02-2002 09:05 AM

Here is my commitment Sojo, and it is a biggy! By the end of this week I will quit smoking. I fear I will need lots of support, so anyone willing to have finger nails chewed off lend me a hand. Eww that is gross, I can not stand chewing nails. LOL Gum, I need gum! Sugar free of course!
This will be a great thread I think. We all need weekly challenges. Good idea!!
Virginia

ellis 09-02-2002 09:56 AM

Sojo, this is a great idea... thank you!
I'm going to join you in not eating after 8:00 . That's my worst fault... getting sleepy and THINKING I'm hungry!

Virginia... you can do it! What can we do to encourage you? Will it help if I say that I'm surprised that you're a smoker? You just don't seem like one!
Will it help if I tell you how much better you're going to smell?
What else can I tell you?

barefootgrrrl 09-02-2002 11:35 AM

yes Sojo! Thanks for this thread.

This week I will commit to writing it all down in my food log this week.........

Thanks! Terri :)

Ruthxxx 09-02-2002 11:38 AM

Great idea, Sojo.

Gee, Virginia - you did not seem like a smoker to me either. Did you know Ellis is my daughter? You will be so glad when you are rid of the smoking habit. It may take more than one try but you can do it! we are here to encourage you and listen to you whine and ***** - up to a point!

I commit to NOT munching anything after DH goes to bed. He retires around 9 to read in bed and I usually sit at the kitchen table, drink my sleepytime tea, commune with my furry daughters and eat something dumb! I AM NOT GOING TO DO THAT THIS WEEK!

Sojourner 09-02-2002 12:14 PM

YAY...

Glad some of you have joined in! Each week we can report on our progress and then post a new commitment OR recommit to last week's.

Good luck everyone! We can do it!

:cp:

Wanttolosealot 09-02-2002 12:54 PM

Ellis are you serious, Sojo is your daugther? Thats cool! Nice to see such incouragement in a family. Thank you all with your support!
Virginia

Wanttolosealot 09-02-2002 12:56 PM

Sorry got that mixed up didnt I! Ruth, Ellis is your daughter. Some would say I am like my mother getting things mixed up! Sorry!
Virginia

squeaker 09-02-2002 02:32 PM

OOO - I like this idea. This week my goal is to do some kind of exercise for at least 5 minutes every day. While it doesn't sound like much, I HATE exercise and if I can do it for at least 5 minutes, I will probably go longer. It is just committing to the first 5 minutes I have problems with. :) But I will try and walk, bike or use my weights everyday.

dentrassi 09-02-2002 07:20 PM

What a wonderful idea!! My commitment will also be to not eat after 8 pm. I tend to get tired and THINK i'm hungry, eat and then not be able to sleep, so this will help me in a couple of ways!!

[email protected] 09-02-2002 07:28 PM

Hi Ladies! GREAT IDEA!

My commitment is going to be a little different. I have to cut down on caffiene for the next few months until my other abnormality is diagnosed. So I will limit my Caffiene to 1 cup of coffee & one 12 ounce diet soda a day.

Good Luck to everyone, especially ...losealot! That is the best change, and I am sure the most difficult!

Wanttolosealot 09-02-2002 08:16 PM

Thank you Chris,
You are much braver than I am, and I had my last cigarette tonight, so you girls can check up on me from now on. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but I figure if I can stay on the road to losing weight than I can kick this disgusting habit in the butt! I will think of you all when I am tempted.
Have you all tried Kashi cereal, I find it great when I am hungry and it is late, but I need something. Filled with lots of good stuff and I use soya milk in it. I love it and it certainly takes away my hunger.
Thanks for your support!
Virginia

mauvaisroux 09-02-2002 08:34 PM

Hey Sojo! Great idea for a thread:)

I will join all of you this week too. I will drink only decaffeinated tea and herbal tea this week. This is one of my big weaknesses as I end up drinking 4- 5 cups of tea each day at work with 2 spoons of sugar in each cup :yikes:

ellis 09-02-2002 09:44 PM

Well! I was just going to have some popcorn, and noticed that it was 8:30. So thanks to you girls, I'm having a glass of water. :cry:
Woe is me.

Sojo, are you my daughter? How old are you!? :lol:
Ruth, are you my mother!!? How sweet. I'd love to be your daughter. Just don't tell my mother... she's insanely jealous.
WAIT A MINUTE!! Are you putting me in the same class as your dogs!? Hmmm, that's very flattering. :smug:

Virginia, I don't want to smell smoke tomorrow morning, okay? It's disgusting. And there's something (uh, is anyone else here a smoker?) rather low-life about smoking. You know that's what we non-smokers say, huh? Low-life. It makes us feel superior. Or something. Of course, when I smoked 2 cigarettes a day in college, I was TOTALLY cool! :smoking:
Have you stocked up on gum? Come on girl... you can do it!!

You know I just thought of something. Those of us who aren't eating after 8/9 tonight. Does that mean we won't have to take 2 Tums before we go to bed? Hmmm, where will I get my calcium from...

flower 09-02-2002 10:25 PM

Okay, my goal is just one regular soda a day. If I have to have another, it will be diet!!!!!!

Sojourner 09-02-2002 10:57 PM

We are family...

;) I'm 31... so that makes you say twenty years older than me mommy dearest.

Hopefully I will still be here in the morning... we have some wild tornados tearing through my area of the state. High winds, huge hail, tornado touchdowns, lots of rain, thunder, lightening... but not too much excitement in my backyard. This is the second time in the last thirty days. I live in some sort of storm alley as we get huge hail storms at least three or four times a season... not to mention the regular tornado warnings and thunder storms. Gotta love a good storm. So far I haven't had to "move to a place of safety" like my yucky basement with all the spiders.

:rain:

ellis 09-02-2002 11:04 PM

Yikes! That sounds very frightening, Sojo. I must admit I'm fascinated by tornados. But I've never lived in "storm alley".
Take good care of yourself, girl!

(I was 6 years old when I gave birth to you)

Sojourner 09-02-2002 11:14 PM

Tornados

Mommy... is that you?

We get all sorts of tornado touchdowns in Wisconsin... the closest I've ever been to one was when I was maybe 5 and one touched down a few blocks away. It basically leveled the entire block but luckily skipped right over my grandma's house... unbelievable! Tornados are funny that way. My husband's small hometown was totally flattened (yes, almsot the entire town) a few years back. The storms really don't scare me, its just part of life here. To be honest I find it kind of exciting. I would love to actually see a tornado. Well, this storm front seems to have moved on to Lake Michigan so all is calm.

:spin:

I'm hungry and its after 8:00. Growl.

ellis 09-02-2002 11:25 PM

Yes darling daughter... it is I.
I'm looking up tornadoes on the Internet right now. We used to get almost one per year when we lived in a small town outside of Ottawa. It was interesting to see the little twisters "starting" in the fields. I've never seen a real one, though.
I'm just going to read about the 1999 touchdowns... very interesting...

Wanttolosealot 09-03-2002 09:08 AM

Ellis,
YOu make me laugh, you make me cry. You are better than an R-Rated movie. You see I was the worst kind of smoker. The secret smoker! My hubby knew I smoked, but never around him, my kids did not know I smoked only a select few of other smokers or reformed smokers. Now you all know and it is not a secret. I WILL NOT SMOKE!
Virginia

ellis 09-03-2002 09:42 AM

Virginia, if you put one damned cigarette in your mouth today, I'm going to do something drastic. I don't know how drastic it'll be as I'm umpteen hundreds of miles away from you, but believe me, IT'LL BE DRASTIC!!

JUST SAY NO!!!

And everyone else... stick to your damned commitments.
later darlings...

Wanttolosealot 09-03-2002 10:16 AM

Well Ellis
With threats like that, I would be a damned fool to smoke woulnd't I ? I am going to do this, I am tired of smelly clothes, and breath, and disgusted looks from DH, and I want to feel much healthier too. Thanks !
Virginia

dentrassi 09-03-2002 10:36 AM

Wanttolosealot-GOOD FOR YOU!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Ellis-Can I be the crazy aunt with 14 cats who always gives the kids stale candy?

ellis 09-03-2002 10:55 AM

Yes, Den. You may call me Auntie El. :D

dentrassi 09-03-2002 11:03 AM

NO!! I want to be the crazy aunt (pout)

ellis 09-03-2002 11:22 AM

oh good grief... I'm such a ding dong. YOU want to be the aunt!! Gotcha. I'm a little slow this morning.
What shall I call you? Auntie Marmite? :D
You may call me "Little Lulu". ;)

[email protected] 09-03-2002 12:11 PM

Oh my gosh, you guys are cracking me up! DH & I always joke about the crazy cat lady, every neighborhood has one! That is my goal in life, to have 42 cats with 1 litter box, and I want to chase away the kids that come into my yard! And heaven help them if a ball lands in my grass!

mauvaisroux 09-03-2002 07:02 PM

Sniff, sniff..:snooty: that better not be smoke I am smelling;)

Wanttolosealot-congrats for deciding to quit smoking! You can do it:cb: and we will all be cheering you on.

I have been sick for the last 2 day and did not go to work today so I managed to drink water and only one cup of decaf tea cut down to 1 tsp of sugar. And so it begins.....

Hey can I be the rich, eccentric, jet-setting Auntie who drops in on the family just to shake things up once in a while (like the aunt in the movie Auntie Mame?:cool:

ellis 09-03-2002 07:22 PM

Dear Auntie Evil,
I'm running a little short. Please send me $100 000 ASAP. Drop in anytime. xoxo

soozie 09-03-2002 09:07 PM

Mauvais, my dd just ventured in here and asked me if your avatar was me. I love that kid. I don't have time to respond to all of this lunacy right now...gotta put the little angel to bed so she can be up bright and early for her first day of kindergarten. Love Soozie
ps, honestly I look nothing like that picture but kids see what they want to see!!!! Gotta love that.

ellis 09-03-2002 10:20 PM

Soozie, I hope your DD has a wonderful day tomorrow!
xo

dentrassi 09-03-2002 10:50 PM

Auntie Marmite checking in. Come here and sit by me and don't mind the smell.....Fluffy peed on the couch today because I only let her eat half of my tuna. Care for a sweetie? Here you go little Lulu (rubs candy off on grimey housecoat.) Mauvais sweetie, next time you come visit would you bring me some of that fancy litter with the crystals in it?
I ate a pickle after 8, so technically I broke down, but at least I didn't bake and eat the cake I was thinking about making. I was thinking of you ladies, so this helped me a lot today!!!

Lamorgan 09-04-2002 11:13 AM

What a silly bunch of semi-related women...:dizzy:

Water is my curse. I don't like to drink it, so I will add water to my life.

Haven't smoked in 4 years, but have the soul of a smoker. If the going gets rough, get the patch, it helped me (5 times).

I was a heavy, heavy smoker as a teen until age 21, quit for 9 years and started again. Then I smoked on and off for 6 years. (More off than on though...)

So I shall drink water!

Lois :rain:

ellis 09-04-2002 12:30 PM

Good for you, Lois! Believe it or not, you'll learn to love it after a while. I used to hate it too, but I've been drinking it religiously for a few years now, and when I get up in the morning it's the first thing my body cries out for... a glass or two of water! It's rather a good feeling.

soozie 09-04-2002 09:34 PM

DD had a great day at kindergarten. Came home chanting,"I love Kindergarten, I love Kindergarten" :cry: my baby is becoming a big girl.

mauvaisroux 09-04-2002 10:02 PM

Sooze, your daughter is too freakin cute!

I only had one cup of tea with sugar today:dance:

Sojourner 09-05-2002 12:16 AM

My Commtiment

Well, I think this not eating after 8:00 thing is a good idea. I have gone to bed hungry every night and I am seeing weight loss on the scale already.

:goodvibes

Virginia... how is the smoke free life going? Step away from the cigarette!!

:nono:

Lamorgan 09-05-2002 10:48 AM

still sputtering down the water....

peeing constantly.

L

Sojourner 09-05-2002 12:07 PM

A friendly reminder to everyone...

Lets all try and remember to not think about weight loss or our commitment for this week in black and white terms. So often if we "fail" once we give up and then the whole day or week is shot. Even if we only do our commitment half the time this week, that is actually significant progress! So, if you normally eat the entire bag of Doritos and this week you only eat half the bag... this is progress! :smug: Every step we make towards a healthier lifestyle is a step in the right direction. Although we should focus on following our commitments all the time, if we do make a poor choice we can immediately begin making positive choices again.

Hope eveyone is doing well and respecting themselves and their commitments. We can do it!

:grouphug:

dentrassi 09-05-2002 10:37 PM

I am SO glad you started this thread!! I have been doing HORRIBLY on everything else, but I have managed to stop eating after 8, and THAT is a major improvement in itself!!