3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Alternachicks

Commitment a Week

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 06:59 PM   #106

Height: 5'-2"

oooo la la! I LIKE your commitment, Squeak!

No, when you're depressed, there's always the danger of drowning yourself...

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. The problem is that the line separating good and evil cuts right through the human heart." Alexander Solzenitzen
Old 10-01-2002, 07:28 PM   #107
a brave new me...

Unhappy Den & Ellis...

I struggle with some pretty serious depression so I can relate. Plus I work out of my home so there are certainly days when I shuffle around in my jammies for the entire day. And some days when I am really depressed I am lucky if I get out of bed. But generally I find that usually a nice hot shower or bath, a fun outfit, a little make up, and just getting out of the house can really lift my spirits. Holing up in the house disconnects me from the world and I get completely caught up in a cycle of depression. It is important for me to connect with people regularly so I try to schedule lunch with a friend or my husband at least once if not twice a week. So if you need to keep it simple... that is great. The whole point of commiting to change is to make small steps each week towards an overall healthier lifestyle. And the smaller the change the better, I think. I know that when I am depressed it is the most difficult time to make positive changes or do anything positive for that matter... so start small and think of ways to be kind to yourself. It is so easy to get caught up in disordered thinking about ourselves and our lives. I constantly have to stop and force myself to check the reality of my thinking... when depression hits, my thinking is always skewed and not representative of reality at all. I try to focus on the positives and be thankful for the many blessings that I DO have.... and there are SO MANY! I remind myself to look at people... especially women and children.... who struggle in poverty or in third world war-torn countires or who face life-threatening illnesses and I realize how much I really do have. Since my husband and I have been trying to conceive for the last nine months, I have not been able to take my meds. After a few months of pretty serious depression, I slowly forced myself to make positive changes like exercise, social involvement, healthier eating, connecting with friends and families, making time for myself with constructive activities I enjoy... the other option was for me to sink deeper into a depression so horrible that I would find myself contemplating suicide. I am finally at a point where I feel that I am able to sustain a fairly healthy outlook despite the many challenges that I am currently facing. So with one small step at a time... one day at a time... healing is really within reach.

Well, enough of my ramblings. Just know that we are here for you. Remember... you are not alone and you can always come here for support.

198/187/128
5'2"

Last edited by Sojourner : 10-01-2002 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 PM   #108

Thank you, Sojo. You're a sweet-heart. Remember, we're here for you, too!
I can't imagine going off my meds...I mean I CAN imagine it! You're a very strong girl to be able to cope so well without them.
hugs... xoxo

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. The problem is that the line separating good and evil cuts right through the human heart." Alexander Solzenitzen
Old 10-02-2002, 01:00 AM   #109
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

DITTO!!! I do pretty well usually with the meds and I am usually pretty good at stopping the negative thinking, but sometimes it just gets difficult. Luckily I have a VERY honest but also sensitive husband who will do reality checks with me!! AND of course you wonderful women here!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:57 PM   #110

help!!!!

I can't stop eating.
Please, somebody help me...
I just bought a roasted chicken for dinner. I spread butter on mine.
I'm in big trouble.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2002, 01:00 AM   #111
a brave new me...

Unhappy Oh dear...

Well, my first guess is that you need to take a look at WHY you can't stop eating. Obviously you are not continuously munching because you are constantly hungry, right? What hurts or anxieties are you feeding? What feelings are you avoiding? What issues don't you want to address? Eating can be a temporary feel good fix because the food tastes good immediately... but as we all know the long term effects of overeating are devastating. I guess I would suggest that it is time for a little self analysis. When you reach for the next fistful of food and your stomach is already full... stop yourself and ask what you really need and what you are really feeling. Are you eating because you are sad, or angry, or overwhelmed, or bored, or tired, or out of habit, or depressed, or anxious? What other activity could you do that would actually meet the real need? What are some other options? What would happen if you dealt with the issues directly? I've been in this same place Ellis so I can absolutely empathize... but you ARE in control of yourself and you can make new choices and create change. Remember... small steps to a brave new you!

198/187/128
5'2"

Last edited by Sojourner : 10-03-2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #112

Thank you, Sojo. You're absolutely right. I've started tracking my food today, and I'm going to do this!!
I've been eating because I'm tired, and I've just realized that subconsciously I've been thinking, "Hey, I'm going to the gym 3 days a week now. I can eat whatever the heck I want to!"
So today I'm in control, and I'm going to make it a habit. When I got up this morning I was at 195. I'd gained 2 pounds, and it was a real wake-up call for me. Other than being pregnant, that's the most I've ever weighed. (don't be offended girls over 200... it's all relative)
I'm really worried about my heath, and I'm ready to do something about it. Thank you Sojo... I know you've been there too, and I appreciate your giving me a boost.
hugs...
ellis

Last edited by ellis : 10-03-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:02 PM   #113
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Ellis hun, you will do it! We have faith in you just as you do in all of us. Some days I think you are the one holding all of us together, and for that I thank you. Dont get me wrong girls you are all fantastic! I know I could not do this witout all of your support.
Virginia
Old 10-06-2002, 09:16 PM   #114
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Blagg! I find that I eat when I am bored. I am trying to find something to do to with my time to keep from doing that. I am okay on the weekends but it is the snacking while watching tv that gets me...I have got to find a hobby of some sort. I did buy a book on bead jewellery making so I think that's what I will be doing over the winter.

Good idea about the food tracking/journal. I was doing that with WW but have got out of the habit, you chicks have inspired me to start up again!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:22 PM   #115

Thanks, Virginia. We ARE a fantastic bunch! Everyone here is so nurturing and sympathetic. I don't know how I'd do it without all of you. (ummm, do what? I'm NOT losing weight )
Virginia, could you come and sew my jaws together?

Mauvais, beading would be fun! There's a lot of stuff you can make. And I KNOW how much you love jewelry. I'll take a pair of long dangly earrings, please.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:33 PM   #116

What colour of beads would you like Ellis?
Old 10-06-2002, 10:41 PM   #117

sort of a cross between a grey and a pukey green to match my glittering eyes.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:53 PM   #118

Oh Puleehz! Your eyes are not a pukey green/grey!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:37 AM   #119

How could you even see them amidst all the rolls of fat?

Old 10-07-2002, 01:00 PM   #120
a brave new me...

Unhappy Sigh...

Well, I still did not meet my goal of exercising four times this week and I blew every other one as well. I seem to be pretty inconsistent on this one. I walked twice this week and spent about 90 minutes gardening. I am going to continue with my commitments until I can do it succesfully:

no eating after 8:00
avoid fried food and red meat
exercise four times this week

198/187/128
5'2"

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.