3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   Charm Bracelet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/196432-charm-bracelet.html)

Gypsy Severina 03-10-2010 11:02 PM

Charm Bracelet

So charm bracelets with a new charm for so much weight lost is a really big thing now, and I love the concept. The problem was, most charm bracelets are pretty mainstream with pink hearts and ice cream cones and puppies or initials, all nice but not my style. I was in Michael's today looking with my mom and sister for baby shower stuff (for my sister) when I came across a display of assorted jewelry making supplies, including ornate metal chains and charms. For about $24 I got a black chain that's actually made up of 8 wreath designs that are cherubs holding grapes (something I love because I'm a Classics major with a concentration in Ancient Greek and a Creative Writing major, and one of my favorite works is Paradise Lost) and I also found 2 6 packs and 1 5 pack of Victorian charms, like a silver teapot, a black key, and a crystal ball. I used my mother's old hemostats (surgical clamps for arteries mostly) instead of pliers to attach a clasp on the end and shorten it up a bit (I have 2 extra cherub wreaths that I think I'll make into matching earrings).

I just wanted to share in case anyone ever wanted to do this but was turned off by conventional charm bracelets like me, and it was a lot less expensive than going to Claire's and finding something that I could've lived with instead of loved!

mescelestus 03-10-2010 11:30 PM

You know I make jewelery all the time (mostly to try to sell)...and it never occurred to me to reward my achievements with it. I might just make myself one with stuff I already have.

shortandfluffy 03-10-2010 11:34 PM

Great idea! I used some letter beads and made me a few bracelets with motivational quotes to wear.

I LOVE going to Michael's and Hobby Lobby.. I buy lots of art supplies for my drawing.

Paja 03-11-2010 12:22 AM

Thanks for sharing! The phrase "charm bracelet" kind of turns me off (I'm thinking pink plastic and unicorns), but the idea is really neat. I'm definitely going to check this out.

mauvaisroux 03-11-2010 11:21 AM

Sounds like a cool bracelet!

I did this with the Italian charm bracelets that were trendy a couple of years ago. I managed to find a Betty Boop dressed as a devil charm, a Jack Skellington charm, a bat, and a Betty Page one! :)

It was fun collecting them and great wearing the bracelet as a reminder of what you have acheived.

mrsmoore 03-11-2010 11:38 AM

I really love this idea.

kspeakes 03-13-2010 06:15 PM

I love this idea! Wonder what I can get here that would work? Can I get myself a charm for starting a healthy eating and exercise program?

DianaG 04-09-2010 09:18 AM

Sounds beautiful! I love making my own jewelry. I will have to check the Michael's near me.

Edited to ask, what lipstick are you wearing in your avatar? I love it!

Gypsy Severina 04-14-2010 12:33 PM

It's actually black eyeshadow I applied wet and then covered with clear chapstick since my black lipstick has disappeared to the ages. It's good for a short time but obviously difficult to reapply unless you carry a pot of eyeshadow and a brush around