Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #16  
a work in progress...

Welcome ginya...

I always suspected they didn't serve "General Tso's Chicken" over there!

You can't go wrong with a foul-mouthed, christian feminist in your ranks!!
Old 09-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #17  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hey, do they serve chicken feet over there?
Old 09-07-2002, 09:51 AM   #18  
Queen of China

oh the chicken feet I have eaten...
and duck feet, swan feet, turtle...
one thing for sure, you don't gain weight there...
Old 09-08-2002, 04:44 PM   #19  

BLECHHH!

Although, I have eaten raw frozen seal and caribou meat, as well as whale blubber so I guess I can't tun my nose up at anything, well except poutine
Old 09-08-2002, 05:01 PM   #20  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

WOW MAUVAIS!!! I'm impressed!! How did they taste, and what were the circumstances?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #21  
a work in progress...

Wow, mauvais...seal meat, caribou meat and whale blubber? Must be a Canadian thang...

What the heck is poutine? Do you spread marmite on it and serve with with pepperettes?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:10 PM   #22  

I have some Inuit friends and we were at a social function where all of the above were served. The caribou and seal were served raw and frozen so you just cut a chunk off and ate it, can't really describe the taste. It was okay but the Artic Char (salmon, also raw and frozen) was really good. The whale blubber was raw but not frozen and again you cut a piece off and ate it. I really hated the blubber because it was so chewy it took forever to eat and then you started to get grossed out because you were chewing and chewing. I have the same problem eating escargot or chewing on steak fat. In fact the blubber tasted like fishy steak fat The yummiest thing was the bannock, I must have eaten about 8 peices by myself

I have also gone to several powwows and had buffalo burgers which are quite tasty. I also once ate Bison steak at a fancy scmanchy restaurant in Toronto. When I was in New Orleans I had alligator, turtle soup and did the suck and shuck crawfish thing. I also used to eat cow tongue sandwiches when I was a kid, it was made into a lunch meat and looked and tasted kind of like corned beef.

Katrinabgood-poutine is basically french fries topped with cheese curds and smothered in gravy, looks repulsive (like fries someone threw up on) and smells repulsive but I hear it is quite tasty.
I can't get past the smell as it turns my stomach but lots of people love it. It is apparently the national dish of Quebec. or so I am told. But hey, I love Haggis so I can't say anything I would probably be in Asia with Ginya eating whatever they put in front of me and not asking what if was because it would be better not too, and easier just to shut up and eat
Old 09-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #23  

That sounds great!! I love experiencing different cultures, and ESPECIALLY the foods (surprised?!!) I've eaten buffalo burgers, crawfish, shark (I love the idea of biting it back!!). I am with you on the escargot. I prefer the garlic butter sopped up with french bread. The snails are too chewy!!! I agree, tongue tastes like corned beef. I was 10 when I had it, and I ate it, but I didn't like the idea of a cow's tongue touching my tongue (It was sitting whole on the table while we ate!!) One of the more interesting experiences I had was "crabbing" with my grandparents in Florida. We went way back in some banyon-y area and had to lure them up towards shore with chicken necks tied on strings, and then scoop them up with a net. I loved it despite the mosquitos!! Then we got to go home, clean 'em and eat 'em!!! YUM!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 AM   #24  
Queen of China

oh my sister friends, maybe you could come with me to the land of chicken feet and snake skin. I have found there is a bit of a blessing in trying new and exotic foods...not sure what kind...
and every trip manages to haul out yet another dish that would confuse and astound the westerners...but I get my revenge. Once, when my boss was traveling here, he asked for a 'typical American breakfast" so I took him to a gas station and bought him a warm Moutain dew and a beef jerky. (life is good!)
Old 09-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #25  

TOO FUNNY!!!!! How about half a dozen stale donuts and a warm Pepsi?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 AM   #26  

Ok, I have something to add to this sorta gross, sorta exotic food discussion.

I used to think that the cat and dog stories about Asian restaurants was all an urban legend until I visited Korea.

My hub drove me past a dog farm - you guessed it - raised for food......eeewwwwwww

Ok Canada does have some interesting food, but now that I am on a low carb diet - it's all fair game - he he, get it!! ok, I'll stop the lame jokes for now and get to work

sending a hug - terrigrrrl
Closed Thread