Alternachat Aug/Sept

You're on Page 6 of 16
Go to
  • Blessed quiet here. I can stay on the computer as long as I want, and nobody is lurking over my shoulder.

Lois
  • Yeah, Ruth... you're really boring. NOT!! Geez, all this talk of preserving almost makes me want to do some again. Almost.
    Hey, what fun having your friend to stay! Did I mention how good those beans were? Let me mention it... THEY WERE DAMNED GOOD! Thank you, sweetie...

Lois, I hear ya! I'm ALONE! Life is good. Coffee, my computer, ... that's really all I need. And the phone is switched off. Anyone fool enough to call me today is NOT going to get me!!
    Crap... did I just hear my husband pull in the driveway... I'll KILL HIM!!

PHEW! False alarm. What the heck is wrong with people anyhow? I've already had two phone messages this morning. Do they think I'm lonely? I WANT TO BE ALONE!!!

Soozie girl... how are YOU? Is your house back in order? How do "Aunt Edee's Lamps" look? xoxo

Mauvais, hope you have a better week! How's the job hunting going? hugs...

Okay, where is everyone else? Little Den, are you sleeping?

hugs and kisses to everyone...
  • DH starts teaching with a vengeance today. He is teaching 4 classes at a local University, and 1 at a local Community College, and the University starts classes today. Send good job hunting vibes this way, cuz a full time position would mean fewer classes and more money!! (AND full benefits!!)

Ellis-YES I WAS SLEEPING!!! HOW'D YOU GUESS? (snicker) I was up until 3 am again, so I need to start the process up again (grr) About my height.......When my paternal grandmother died (101 1/2 yrs old), she only came up to my shoulder, and she CLAIMED to have been 5' 2" at her tallest. I find it VERY hard to believe, honestly, as she was known to embellish the truth at times! So if that is true AND I live a long life I will probably be 4' or LESS when I die. SEE! I AM a garden gnome!! I'm even starting to grow the beard!!!! Both my parents were around 5' 6" tall, so my Dad is short too.

Lamorgan-Isn't it wonderful? I wish I could take a week off just to bask in the silence!!! My 15 year old is nervous that he will be short. He is small for his age, but his Dad didn't get to his adult height (just over 6 ft) until 19 (he actually grew 1/2 inch after I met him!) We don't know WHO he is taking after!!! He is now taller than me, and his hands are starting to get BIG, so I think he has some significant growing left to do.

Ruth-How much preserving are you doing? We are eating tomatoes like crazy right now. Good thing we like them!! I'm too nervous to process anything but jam, and too lazy to even do that anymore!!!

Soozie-The ONLY person I know who wasn't raised on Marmite but still likes it is my Dad!! But then again he is a major foodie. I get my weight problem from him as well as my height. I started my kids on the stuff as early as possible in order to brainwa....er, I mean convince them of the magical qualities of the stuff. They both love it!! DH HATES it. Glad to hear the fair wasn't rained out!!

Mauvais-I can actually find marmite at a few stores here too, which is a MIRACLE, but it is so expensive that I wait for my Mom to bring it back when she goes to visit HER Mom. I LOVE Black Currant!!! ANYTHING!!

Sojourner-That's what happens if....NEVERMIND!!!!!
  • Oh Lois - do you mean Nutella??

That is too wonderful - I've found a sugar free version called Twist that I put on a lC cracker - and that is my dessert these days.

To think I used to have a cannoli each night! LOL

One of my stories ( did I mention I am an amateur storyteller? LOL) involves the first time I ever tasted Nutella.

In the so-so glamorous 80s, I lived like a poor churchmouse in NYC and had a friend who was a flight attendant for TWA. She worked the US-European routes, back in the day when there was a jet set LOL ( I used to think all of this was way cool.....) anyhow, she would bring treats back home for us to try - and once she brought a jar of Nutella back from Rome. We ate it on pancakes..... of course, then we would do 2 hours of aerobics to try to work it off.

Have a great day, thanks for the memory - Terrigrrrl - getting a kick out of all this and Marmite too! who knew? LOL
  • Hello all....

$%(&^@ grumble... back to #$%($%& work and it's only #$%& Tuesday....

Ok, I feel better.

As I posted in "Nuts" I'm woozy today, probably a sinus attack from ****... we found some non-drowsy allergy shtuff and I popped a few. I'll have to find some at the store today - I just went shoppin on Friday and went to buy some but the store where I was was one of them that keep them behind the counter so the crack dealers can't buy mass quantities... thanks jerks!

Barefoot Terrrrrri - Nope, The Shining was filmed at The Stanley in Colorado (which is actually haunted too).
    Not much to snow on out here right now. All our mountains are pretty much nekkid and anxiously awaiting snow to cover them up! There's actually a joke about Mt. Hood 'round here - if you can't see it, it's raining in Portland, if you can see it, it's about to rain in Portland (we high desert folk make fun of those webbed footed westerners).

S'all for now till I can see straight...

Terri
  • The veggie terrine turned out really good and great for using up stuff this time of year........

here's how you make it..........

2 small eggplants
    2-3 small/med. zucchini
    2 red peppers or jar of roasted peppers
    one head of garlic
    some chopped green olives (optional)
    few basil leaves and some Italian spices
    one cup of crumbled cheese - mozzarella, feta, parmesan, etc.

place peppers and garlic in pan and roast in the oven at 375 for approx. 30 min, remove and cool
    slice eggplants and zucchini into long strips - place on baking sheet and brush with olive oil, place under the broiler for about 5 minutes at 375.

when all ingredients have cooled, layer eggplants in the bottom of a loaf pan, next add a layer of roasted pepper strips, followed by a layer of crumbled cheese and then a layer of zucchini - repeat this layering process until you reach the top of the pan. sprinkle basil leaves and spices throughout the layers as you assemble.

sprinkle chopped olives on top if you like. the very top layer should be a layer of eggplant. squeeze soft garlic out of garlic cloves and using a fork, mash into a paste, mixing in 1/2 tsp of Italian spices. spread this paste over the top of the eggplant, place a piece of plastic wrap over the entire pan and gently press down, compacting all ingredients.

place in the fridge for the flavors to marry. about a half hour before dinner, place the pan in the oven on low heat - bake for about 1/2 hour at 300 degrees.

Cut slices for dinner. top with homemade tomato sauce from the garden.

easiest tomato sauce ever - cut cores from garden tomatoes - toss them in the crockpot with olive oil, crushed garlic, basil, large can of tomato paste and spices to taste - cook on low overnight while you sleep. in the morning, turn the pot off - let it cool for awhile. Then scoop the mixture into your blender, blend just a minute until it has the consistency of tomato sauce - very easy and tastes so much better than bottled sauce.

hope you enjoy - terrigrrrl
  • Yeah,
    The kids are off to school! Just had my morning coffee and want a cigarette so bad I can taste it.Mmmmmm taste so good! I am going nuts, but have not smoked yet. Tonight will be the real test, as a girl friend and I are going out to kareoke(sp) and I will want to smoke very bad. However, If I fail, I will not give up! I will keep trying till I get it right.
  • Den, I LOVE tomatoes! I just stand in the garden and eat them. I kept forgetting to water them this year, so I'm not getting too many...

Terrigrrrl... Nutella! I've never tried it... I know it would be a fatal relationship, so I keep looking at it in the store and thinking, "That is DISGUSTINg!!" So far I've managed to convince myself. I just KNOW it's yummy, though.
    Thank you for the recipe! It was so sweet of you to type it all out! I'm going to print it out and try it this week. It looks good!
    Ummm, that serves what....? One person?

Virginia, you don't have to smoke at Kareoke (sp) tonight. Just pick up some Popeye cigarettes and smoke THOSE! No one will notice, and really... all you need is something in your hand, right? I mean, a stick or a pencil would do, but a Popeye cigarette would just look that much more classy.

Hello everyone else.... come and talk to us...
    xoxo
  • AAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

I just performed my first post-divorce act of complete boldness!!!!!!

Do you all remember my "phone friend" that I've been having the flirtation with???? I just hung up with him - he told me he was cranky from not eating and some "other stuff" and said he'd email me. I just got his email saying his divorce was final and that he just felt tired and worn out. For some reason this is intensely personal to me... and I responded like-wise - very personal - and it feels weird to be crossing this little client-contractor relationship line (we've danced all up and down said line though over the last few months or so). And I mean, I was verrrrrrry personal in my reply to him.

I haven't had this feeling in my stomach in YEARS - it's so unfortunate that he's literally 850'ish miles away... Even my Mom, who I work with, says she thinks he calls just to talk (she doesn't know about the phone calls I get from him just asking how my day is going).

I just had to share before I freakin' explode.

Crap, I feel like I'm 16 again...

Terri
  • That indeed is a scary feeling Punkinseed...but isn't it wonderful to feel alive???
  • Mmmm...Nutella....excellent on Ritz crackers...salty/sweet combo Oh..er...yep, totally disgusting, Ellis.

Punkin, you go girl! Don't let 850 miles stop you! My hubby was on the other side of the continent!

Wanttolose... Keep your hands busy...a drink for each hand?

You know, I've never eaten eggplant. What's it taste like?
  • mmmmm....Nutella. It also tastes good on french bread. I am all for just eating it out of the jar. One day I was eating it out of the jar, ate a few spoonfuls, and put it down, figuring I was eating way too much of it. Told the boy "Ok don't let me eat any more". About 5 minutes later I went for the jar again, he tickled me until I gave it to him, then he held it over his head (He is a foot taller then me). I actually swore at him for listening to me!

But on the bright side - I actually did very good today - We celebrated 2 birthdays in the dept at work today and had muffins, bagels, & timbits from Tim Horton's, and then a cake. I actually turned down all of it. It was damn hard, but I just couldn't give in.

Terri - That is wonderful! Isn't it great and terrifying at the same time?? Also Sudfed Cold & Sinus (the stuff in the blue box) is a wonderful thing for sinus problems. I spent most of the weekend on it and it makes you feel really good. Kinda loopy and you can't quite think straight, but your head feels better.

Wanttolose - You better not be sneakin' a smoke!!!!! You can do it.

I HATE tomatoes. I don't even like pasta sauce. I just eat pasta with a little margarine & salt. Don't like pizza sauce too much either. I only eat Pizza Hut and even then I take most of the sauce off. I like making my own pizza instead - just enough sauce so the crust isn't dry.

How was all the first days of school? Hopefully everything went well.

to all!

squeak
  • Ellis - glad to hear that your daughter is doing well! In my opinion, these years - 12, 13, 14 - are precarious, especially for girls. Soooo totally cool that she has a guy friend to write with.....I remember those days......hey, how come my guy friends don't come over to write anymore??? could it be because of the hubster? LOL oh I am a fellow tomato lover - so if I think of any more recipes, I'll let you know....... oh PS - do you know where Albion Rd is in Ottawa? I have a friend who just moved there......

Punkin! I am soo excited for you - those butterflies are a sign of life!!!!

enjoy it....... (so happy for you!!) oh and my friend does want to order that sunshine clock.......couldn't find the link you posted......can you post it again? please? thanks!

Wildfire........ eggplant is hard to describe.......personally, I think it's an acquired taste - but that's not a bad thing LOL .......let me describe it....... very mild, soft, mushroomy (full of water that releases when it cooks......like mushrooms) it absorbs the flavor of what you cook it with -......since I can't eat pasta - it's sorta like pasta for me - I pour sauce on it...etc. it is best fried in olive oil and covered with tomato sauce and cheese LOL

Now I just wonder what Marmite tastes like! LOL

Ok Virginia - hang in there! have fun at kareoke.........wish I could go! I love doing that! especially after a few drinks!

sending my best all! Terrigrrrl
  • Hi Chickies!

Punkinseed-you flirtychick you! That is so exciting! 850ish miles are nothing go for it!

Ellis-thanks for the hugs, I need them this week and it is only Wednesday

Flower- how did your move go?

Eggplant, I think anyway, tastes best grilled then it is not so watery.

mmmm, Nutella...I used to eat that all the time when I was a kid, haven't had it in years. Everytime I am in the Italian grocery store I am tempted to buy it but I am afraid it won't taste as good as my childhood memory of it or it will taste so good that I eat the whole jar in one go It was really good spread on banana

Virginia, we are all counting on you not to smoke, hee hee, no pressure there, no, none at all

Ruthxxx-I was burning some of that lovely incense that you got for Ellis and I, made me think of our fun day out

Hi Katrina! Glad to have you back!

Hey Soozie, Squeek, Wildfire, Barefootgrrl, Sojourner, Finoa, Christina and Sheila! My this does feel like romper room and looking through the glass hope I didn't miss anyone

Whoops! Hi to Kimmykat too and a big welcome to Suchaprettyface! I didn't forget you either Ginya! hmmm...and where is Dude these days, probably lost in a supermarket under a bundle of Bok choi.
  • la di da... just bought two new pairs of running shoes. I'm joining the Y tomorrow, and my darling mother is coming with me. She's been going to the Y for YEARS, and she's going to show me around. She's 77, and she's a BABE! (AND in much better shape than me!)

Terri, I'm thrilled for you feeling that way. Ah, I remember those days... there's nothing like it, is there?! Enjoy it... and know that if it's right, that something will come of the relationship. Hang in there! Like the other girls said, 850 miles is NOTHIN', honey!

Squeak, that's exactly what I'm afraid of... eating Nutella out of the jar. I'm just that kind of gal...
    Good standing firm on the food!!

Wildfire, eggplant pretty much tastes like crap. Like Terrigrrrl said, it's an aquired taste. ACTUALLY, it's quite good if you... hang on, I'm going to post a recipe from my BIL...

THE RECIPE FOR THE SANDWICHES IS:
    EGG PLANT, GREEN ONIONS, RED PEPPERS (ROASTED AND PEELED IF YOU
    DON'T MIND THE HASSLE), AND PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS. YOU SAUTE THEM IN A FRY
    PAN IN OLIVE OIL WITH WHAT EVER SPICES YOU LIKE. THE ITALIAN ONES SEEM TO GO BEST IE
    OREGANO, BASIL MAJORAM. SERVE ON CRUSTY BREAD OR A CRUSTY ROLL WITH LOTS OF CREAM CHEESE AND THAT'S
    IT.

Okay, so if you saute all that stuff, the eggplant actually tastes pretty damned wicked. I highly recommend that recipe. My BIL's cooking is to die for.

Oh yes, Terrigrrrl, I know very well where Albion Road is.
    Yes, I love that my daughter has a male friend. People keep asking if he's her boyfriend, but they're just really good buddies.
    I think it's very healthy. I also suspect that he's gay, which doesn't hurt the situation either.
    Listen, Marmite tastes like boot polish, but don't tell Dentrassi I said that...

Mauvais, you obviously need more hugs to get you through the week.
    HUGS AND KISSES FOR MAUVAIS!!
    Hang in there, girl...
    I've been burning MY incense, too! Thank you, Ruth!!

Hugs to everyone else...

Den, for goodness sakes... I KNOW you're awake at THIS time of night!!! xo