Alternachat Aug/Sept

You're on Page 5 of 16
Go to
  • Hey Kat, welcome back.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. Going to go weigh-in. Ugh!!!
    We're supposed to have a Labor Day parade today and a country fair. Very wet everywhere but maybe they'll still proceed...it rained all day yesterday and most of last night. The fair grounds will be very sqooshy. Gotta go find my galoshes.
    Love, Soozie
  • Is anyone else having problems with this site loading in the last few days? It seems okay right now, but all weekend I'd get frustrated waiting for a page to load and end up shutting it down. It's only this site I'm having a problem with.

So, here I am at 8:22am with an ice pack on my chipmunk cheek. Leave it to me to get an infection over a long weekend when my dentist is out of town!

Welcome back, katrina!

Gotta go, can't hold the ice pack to my face and type at the same time.
  • Oh Wildfire,
    I can almost feel your pain. I know what it is like to suffer with a toothache. It is impossible to find a dentist on a long weekend. Make sure you get in first thing in the morning. My friend had to make an emergency trip over to New Brunswick on Friday just to find a dentist open who could pull her tooth, before the long weekend set in. Hang in there! Have you tried cloves, an old remedy of my mother's but it used to work! Kinda numbs the pain a bit.
    Take care!
    Virginia
  • Oh Wildfire... I can feel your pain, too. You poor girl...
    No, not having problems with the site. Must be your server?
    I was going to say that perhaps it's because there are a lot of fat people in your area, but I forgot that you live in the same province as me!

Hope the pain goes away soon, sweetie...
  • HEY! There's that jar of marmite again!
    http://www.expatshopping.com/?AID=6272881&PID=1178791

I'm going to see if I can find anything else familiar and disgusting from my childhood. Like liver and onions.
  • Oh, listen... have any of you had treacle tart? My mom used to make it. I wonder if I can charm her into making one soon...
  • Hey everybody........finally getting a chance to check in. Am I the only one who doesn't know what Marmite is? I'm guessing it's somehow related to Vegemite and comes from Down Under??

Christina - You've been on my mind the past few days. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. I bow to your positive spirit (HUG!)

Wildfire - I've been in the same place with a bad tooth infection. I called my dentist on his cell phone while he was on his *yacht* one weekend to have him call me in a prescription. Infections can spread quickly - so most dentists do have emergency #s and can call in something to get you some relief

PunkinTerri - hey! glad to hear the sunshine clock seems to be doing it's job I will mention this to my friend who probably could use one ( heck, I think I may check into it too - sounds good!) So you do live close to Mt. Hood - thanks for the skiing invite! I love to ski.....I may have to take you up on that. Wasn't "The Shining" filmed near there??

Virginia - Happy Belated Birthday!

Ellis - treacle? the only time I ever heard of treacle was from the "Two Fat Ladies" Cooking Show....... is it a like a British food?

I know, I know, I'm just a rube American.

and.........hello to anyone I've missed ( this reminds me of Romper Room LOL)

It's been a rainy weekend here in Virginia too. It's given us a chance to get caught up on things.

For me, since I've been low carbing in earnest since the beginning of August, I've been trying to re-teach myself how to cook. I finally bought a food processor yesterday and made some homemade coleslaw - very yummy. Today I am trying a recipe for "veggie and cheese terrine". I can never cook during the week, so I try to cook on the weekends so that we have something to nosh on all week long......

I didn't believe it when I learned that garlic has carbs.......well, I roasted some for the first time ever and imagine my surprise when I noticed the caramel on the top when I took it out of the oven!

My daughter starts middle school tomorrow - we are all very excited....... she has tried on several outfits, trying to settle on just the right one. Remember those days?? She just finished reading "Anne of Green Gables" for her first assignment which is due the first week of school. Can someone tell me why the Japanese flock to PEI for A of GG memorabilia?

I think I will be glad to have the hubster head back to work....... it is true that Men are from Mars......I have the proof and I'm trying to decipher the language of his people

Take care all! Peace - barefoot terrigrrrl
  • Thanks for the sympathy, girls. I'm about ready to rip all the teeth in my lower left jaw out with a pair of pliers. The penicillin doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I've taken enough Advil to kill a horse. Even the ice pack isn't helping. It just hurts more when I take it off, as the numbness wears off. The odds of me getting in to see a dentist tomorrow are slim, and thats IF they'll let me leave work. Geez, those nerves are just on fire in there!

One good thing...at least I'm not eating! I can eat, and will have my three sensible meals, but holding an ice pack to one's face or rubbing your gums tends to reduce the amount of munching you can do!

Somehow I have to hem DD's school kilt today, too. Now I know why they used to tie your head up so you looked like you had rabbit ears when you had a toothache. It must have been holding an ice pack!
  • HAPPY LABOR DAY!!!

Wildfire-Sorry to hear about the infection....YUCK!! That sounds vsry painful. I hope you can see someone soon. If your work gives you a hard tome, just sit there moaning loudly until they ASK you to go!!!

Kat-WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Barefoot-Marmite is produced in a few countries, but it is basically English. It is a yeast extract, and most people either LOVE IT or HATE IT!!!! A couple of us have British parent(s) on this thread, so we occassionally talk about related stuff. I LOVE MARMITE, and lots of people don't, so I sometimes start talking about MARMITE just to remind RUTH of that scottish boyfriend who used to eat a spoonful of MARMITE and then kiss her!!

Ellis-I've had treacle candy, but not treacle tart. SOUNDS GOOD!!! I checked out the EXPAT site too. they have very expensive marmite, and they have black currant candies and beverages. That is something I can't find here that i LOVE. I mean buy a bag of cheap suckers there and one of the flavors is black currant, but here it is almost impossible to find. (My Grannie sends candy back "for the kids")

Sojourner-YUP!! It is a pain finding clothes to fit. I was telling Ellis the other day that I feel like a garden gnome, except for the beard!!!

Soozie-Did you have fun stomping through the puddles at the fair?

Ruth-WOW!! You are getting a lot done!!
  • It's weird... I could have sworn I posted here earlier....

Treacle tart... yes Terrigrrrl, it's a British thing.
    http://www.restaurants.co.uk/htmlpag...s-british5.htm
    And I'm not surprised that the two fat ladies used it.
    I LOVED that show!! They were so cool!
    Hey, if the recipe for veggie terrine turns out (well), could you please post the recipe? Thanks!
    I hope that your daughter LOVES middle school! My daughter is starting grade 8 tomorrow. New school, but she's feeling quite positive about it.

Wildfire, you're in such terrible pain! Isn't there an emergency clinic you could drive to tomorrow? Geez, if any of us were closer, WE'D drive you! Take care, sweetie... hope you're better soon.

Den, you ARE a garden gnome!! That reminds me... I must get my tweezers back from my daughter...
    Den, are you still the shortest one here? How tall are your parents? Don't tell me you're going to be shrinking as you get older!!?? My gosh, you'll be down to about 4'-6" by the time you're 80!
    Hey, remember those hard-boiled candies? Different colours, stripes, etc? Even THOSE were good!! Are you sure you never had the nougat kind?

Happy Labour Day to YOU, too! By the way, that's labor with a U!!

later darlings...
  • Evening everyone

Phew! What a load of posts to read through!

Treacle is delicious, I love treacle toffees. I guess the North American equivalent would be blackstrap molasses. You can bake with it too. My mum used to make treacle scones. Treacle tart is yummy too...okay I have to stop talking about these things, they are bringing back childhood memories and making me hungry

Den-you can buy marmite at some grocery stores here. I love blackcurrant jam on pancakes!

Ellis and Barefoot girrrl- hope your daughters have a good first day tomorrow starting at a new school can be very exciting!

Hope you all had a good long weekend!
  • HAHAHA
    Oh my... I thought you said "treacle fart"... seriously.

• Sojo...that is too funny.
    Terri, I've never had treacle but have heard of it.
    I'd never heard of Marmite either but checked out the web site that Den posted and then went to some links from there to do some research.
    It sounds appallingly disgusting to me but it is food so I guess I'd try it.

The fair was fun. The kids loved it. I worked on the silent auction...went around begging merchants to give us stuff. That was fun. And then wrapped everything in gift baskets for the auction table. Had a nice time. DD really enjoyed herself. Jumped in one of those moon bounce things for at least 40 minutes total!!! Wore herself out and is sleeping soundly now.

Can't wait till she starts kindergarten. Congrats to everyone who is sending their little ones off to school...and not so little ones.

Ellis, hope you're feeling better love!!!
    I see that you're on line right now, so, I'll check back in later to see what you posted...good news I hope.
    Christina you're in my prayers. Hope that you're keeping the positive energy flowing!!! and getting lots of support from your family and friends.
    Wildfire, so sorry to hear about your tooth...hope its better soon!

Goodnight Lady-Os
    Love, Soozie
  • Happy Day; 4 kids back to school this morning... Mat to Grade 10, Morgan to Grade 8, Foster to Grade 5 and Evan Grade 1.

Foster was up to midnight with insomnia last night, and then I had insomnia... Maybe I'll finally get to the giant mess on my dining room table that has been there since June. Papers, filing... Bletch.

Hey Wildfire, hope your mouth feels better soon!

Short women in my family too... Mom was just under 5', and 2 other sisters were around there too. My daughter is really short too. I'm a virtual giant at 5'5"! I'll be happy if Morgan gets to 5'2".

I had a boyfriend who loved Marmite too... And that chocolate stuff that has hazelnuts in it...

I'll pop back later after I've sent the brood off to school!!!
  • Well, the Girls and I waited at the school bus stop to see the neighbour kidlets off to school! The Mums and Caregivers either cheered or brushed away a tear as the bus left. I tried to convince the driver that Lucy could go to school but she refused to take her!

I have a friend coming to stay for a few days later this month - my WI friend Linda. Having someone stay is much harder than just a dinner guest - she might look in my fridge or kitchen cupboards. Actually, Linda is a gem and will be working right along with me if I am STILL preserving.

Banking, laundry, phone calls and more dog clipping today. God, I'm boring!