Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1  
incredible shrinking grrl

S/C/G: 299/294/160

Height: 5'11''

Talking Are there any punkrock, riot or goth grrls here?

I'm way past my going to shows and clubs days, but i still have the slamdance in my heart! Anybody care to trade tips on good sites to buy subculture plus-size wear, accessories, etc?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #2  
Cyberpunk

S/C/G: 230/215/100

Height: 5'2"

I've dabbled in both punk & goth styles, but, that's in the past for the most part. I still have lots of band/alternative hoodies in my closet that I wear, and some tops, but, my plaid bondage pants days got left behind with the thinner me.

The first obvious answer would be Hot Topic & Torrid.

I also really like Obey clothing, I have a wicked hoodie from them that I got ages ago, and it's worn all to ****. Not honestly sure about how large their sizing goes, but, it's still worth a mention. http://shop.obeyclothing.com/

I also did a quick Google search for "punk plus size clothing" and was taken to this page, which seems to link to other sites that are "Punk - Plus Size": http://www.clothing-underground.com/PUNK_plussize_1.htm

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful, and I'll be sure to keep my eye out for you while I browse around.

Oh, also - EBAY!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Height: 5'6"

Hiya, I usually dress in alterna and sometimes rockabilly clothes. I like Torrid, Hot Topic, and ebay as well. There was a store that was hosted through Yahoo I liked, but I can't remember the name. For the most part, I jut make my own clothes now.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #4  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

I'm an old punk. I think I invented emo, but that was 25 years ago and I never heard of it until a couple weeks ago, lol. If you look at old photos of Ian Curtis from Joy Division, my favorite band at the time, I think you can get a sense of where emo came from. ;-)

If you really want to be fashion of tomorrow, go to Goodwill and get some stuff that fits and then rip it up and add things and play with it. I think that's all it ever is, is eccentric people playing with clothes they can find cheap, since they never have any money.

I am currently attracted to all the asian stuff on Etsy.com and I'm hoping to get down to a size where I can wear it.

And I just bought an 80's motorcycle jacket off ebay for just $65 that's in perfect shape. Score! I always wanted one but could never afford it and my parents wouldn't buy one for me.

I'm heading back into the music scene as much as I can, with limited funds, stuck in the rural burbs, at my age. I kind of feel like I'm 17 again but this time I actually like myself. That's the one benefit of age, I guess!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinea View Post
I am currently attracted to all the asian stuff on Etsy.com and I'm hoping to get down to a size where I can wear it.
I totally agree. I never got into the Kawaii/Japanese style when I was in school and I'm really regretting it now, I absolutely love it. I just wish there was more cute things available in plus sizes...as it is, I can't wait until I get thin enough to wear the imports
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have done punk, new wave, goth etc....whatever they were calling it that year (guess it is emo now - )

I am revisiting my rockabilly days as I find that I can wear that type of clothing and not look like some aging punk/goth trying to hang on to my youth. Plus I can wear some of the 50's style clothing to work and get away with it - think sexy secretary/the women of MadMen.

I wear mostly black, red, purple and collect interesting jewellery.

I tend to prowl department stores looking for long black skirts and interesting tops that I can add to by changing buttons or adding a bit of embellishment to make them more my style. I also look for different jewellery and accessories to put my on spin on an outfit.

Thrift shops, flea markets and consignment stores can sometimes turn up some treasures.

Some sites I like (even if they are only for inspiration) :

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/streetwear.html

http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/sunshop/
(plus sizes available)

http://www.daddyos.com/retro/retroldy.html
(up to 3x available)

http://rockabilly-style.com/Store/Plus-Size-Rockabilly
Old 02-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #7  

Riotgrrrl in my youth...although I think now I'm older it's just called feminism
Some interesting stuff on Torrid, I mostly check out charity shops and customise.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #8  

My daughter is punk and goth. Sometimes she shops at Hot Topic or Torrid, but doesn't think a alot of their stuff is "different" enough, and she hates it when she sees someone else wearing something she owns. Mostly she goes to alternative thrift stores, which tend to have very unique and funky items. Maybe you have some of those in your area? When we travel out of town to big cities, she usually likes to make a stop at their stores like this since there are more in the city. You could try the same if you live in a smaller town with less options.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #9  
Chant

full time goth
been goth for the past eh...nearing the end of 6 years?
as far as goth sites depends what your into and how much your willing to pay
but here are some of my favorites anyway
sourpussclothing.com
dracinabox.com
goodgoth.com/plussizes.htm
adoreyourcurves.com/
babygirlboutique.com/plus-size-clothing.html

for more normal and casual
evogues.com/

for custom well made corsets
myspace.com/obsidian_lace
and for custom 'fluffy' boot covers/skirts/cuffs