Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 12:35 PM   #1  

Default What Kind of Weight Loss Plan Do You Follow?

I've read through some of the threads, but I am curious what kind of weight loss plan each of you is following, or what plans you've had success with?

I'll go first - low carb eating plan

Thanks, Terri
Old 08-19-2002, 04:50 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Low carb with many deviations! I am not on a particular plan - I just try to keep my carbs below 100. Right now I am supposed to be watching saturated fat too. What is your Low Carb plan?
Old 08-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I was on WW for a while and was trying to do the ww/lowcarb.
I am currently working on reading the Suzanne Somers book "Eat Great, Lose Weight" and implementing some of her ideas into my current Woe. I have been trying to cut down on carbs and eliminating white flour products, potatos and processed foods.

It seems to be working and I am feeling better healthwise for it so I'm working on implementing the rest of SS Woe into my lifestyle.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Actually, none of us are really DIETING per say. We cut back on a few things so that we can totally pork out on the bad stuff. We lose a couple of pounds, and put it back on the following week. Heck, I've gained 3 pounds since I joined in April!!
And exercise? We SPIT on people who exercise!

Okay, personally, I've decided to wait until the kids are back in school in a few weeks. Then; on my psychologist's instructions, I'm going to join the YWCA and work out at least 3 mornings a week. I'm not going to fret TOO much about the food right at the start. I just need to get into the exercise habit. I know that once I start to firm up I won't want to eat as much as I am right now.

I'm not surprised that you're confused re: our weight loss plans... we RARELY talk about weight loss in this forum!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:58 AM   #5  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi Barefoot
I have basically changed my eating habits entirely. Before I would eat whatever and lots of it. Now I have cut way back on fats, eat very little meat, especially red meat, I eat tofu, love soya milk, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and usually have either cereal, a bagel or toast in the morning with my protein drink. I was the type of person who ate whatever, whenever, loved chocolate, it was a food group with me I am sure, and in the last three weeks since I have changed my eating habits I have not had or cravevd it once. Fruit takes away any sweet craving I might have. I walk every day with a friend, who has a great body and keeps me motivated. Four years ago she was very much overweight and now is in great shape. So it sure helps to have motivators for support. If I can do this, anyone can, believe me! I also love water and drink lots of it.

Staring weight 270lbs- July 29th-Height 5'4 1/2"
Today 262 lbs
Old 08-20-2002, 10:04 AM   #6  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Well, I have no real plan. Just to eat better, and try and get some exercise in. I will not cut anything out completely. I know I just can't stick to it. I just don't eat a chicken finger sub everyday, but maybe once a month or so. I don't have the will power or the patience to do something structured.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:24 AM   #7  

Ruth - I was combining WW using most of my points on carbs -but that grew old as it became too complicated for me - too many variables to contend with.

Now I am doing Protein Power and it seems to be ok for me. I am reading the Atkins book and might try it if my weight stalls on PP>

Thanks for asking! What are your LC deviations??

Mauvais - I've heard a little about Somercizing and the food combining - not sure I understand why she recommends eating different macronutrients at different times and not together?

Oh, BTW - I love your nickname! Although I've gone totally blonde, I am a natural strawberry blonde - so I feel a certain kinship to my red headed sisters

ellis - you are too funny! maybe it was all that dim sum talk that got me started on wondering whether there is a new dim sum diet out there I hadn't heard about yet!! I love dim sum - haven't had it in ages..... do you ever see Prevention magazine in the grocery store? every other month there is a new cover story...." The Peanut Butter Diet" "The Chocolate Bar Diet" - the last one I saw was " The Ice Cream Diet" LOL - I will write to them and suggest the "Dim Sum Diet" !

I hear ya about the exercise. I keep trying to start sumpin ( do I sound like Michael Jackson yet? he he) - but too hot - so I'll keep swimming every day while visions of my future tankini suit dance in my head!

When the time comes, let me know what kind of class you're taking and how you like it.

Wanttolosealot - Congrats on the loss!!! You go girl! I know what you mean about the old....."if I can do it.......anyone can"
Weight loss has always been the bane of my existence.

Is it nice up there right now? I love NS. Here's a silly question - do you live near the shore? Is it true one can buy a house there on the shore for less than $100KUSD? One day I would like to have a small summer cottage and go there to read and do watercolors

Have a great day all Terrigrrrl
Old 08-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #8  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Angry Barefoot wants to run barefoot on the NS shore

Hi Barefoot
Yes it is very nice in Nova Scotia these days. We have had hot weather most of the summer. We really could use some rain however. I do not live directly near the water, however I am only about twenty minutes away. I grew up right beside it. It was great, swimming from morning til night. Waterskiiing, boating and all that good stuff.
And in answer to your question, yes I am sure you can buy a house on the shore for less than $100k. Check out some of the realator companies online and I am sure they will have some great places to chose from. Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 AM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

RE: The Ice Cream Diet. My hubby follows it, and he is nice and slim. Just eat whatever you want, and then top it off with Ben and Jerry's.........

Seriously though, I bought him that edition of prevention because I KNEW he would be able to relate!!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:48 AM   #10  
HW 195/CW 152/GW 125

HI, I started this is April & have so far lost 43 pounds. I changed evrything though! I don't count carbs, just calories. I use diet power to track all of my calories & it gives me a calorie budget based on my metobolic rate, target date & goal weight. So if I cheat & have that peanut butter cup I just log it & then I know I have to cut back & be careful that night. So far it has worked well! I am now stuck on a platuae, but this is the first real tough one to kick since I started so I shouldn't complain!

I do exercise & have been stepping it up as I lose weight & it becomes easier. I now run & weight train, but I started very slow with just a 30 minute leisurely walk.

Everyone has different plans, the trick is finding what works for you. No one diet is the perfect one for everyone. I think it is more of a mind set, once you really decide that you are going to do it, any diet will work & it will be easy! I really do not feel like I have missed a lot. I have found alternatives for some of the stuff, I buy Fat Free pringles for when I need chips, skinny cow for the ice cream needs. Only thing that I miss is wine & I haven't found a low cal option for that yet! Just hang in there, read everything & adopt what appeals to you to create your own plan!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #11  
Must Shrink.

Hello! I follow the WW points plan, on my own, when I'm following anything... Soon. When the kids go back to school. To make the WW program more interesting, I follow loosely the program from 'Eat Right for your Type' (O blood type) and I did the Zone diet a few years ago when I was going off Paxel and needed to be very careful about what I was eating and it really worked... Didn't drop the weight fast enough for me though. Made me aware of my bread/wheat/yeast addiction though!

L
Old 08-29-2002, 06:08 PM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Well apparently I have switched to the Seafood diet this week-as in I see food, I eat it
Old 08-31-2002, 02:04 PM   #13  
Queen of China

I avoid anything with flavor. Takes out all the guess work.
I also have 2 dogs which automatically reduces calorie intake by
50% (increases theirs, but hey, since there is no calories in butt licking, they can use them) the only excercise I get is running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions, but am trying this 'walking' thing...
Old 09-01-2002, 08:36 AM   #14  

Height: 5'-2"

la di da...
I am starting afresh today. I'm going to do the "Feeling Good Diet". It's in the book "Food and Mood" by Elizabeth Somer.
Has anyone else heard of it/done it?

Last night I was flipping through my humungous pile of fitness/shape/exercise/prevention/etc magazines and getting inspired. (yes, I re-read The Ice-cream Diet, but decided it wasn't what I was looking for. You don't get to eat ENOUGH ice cream!)

Maybe I'll make a collage of beautiful, fit women. No, maybe I won't. Too much work.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:10 PM   #15  

Default The Plan

Howdy!
My big plan is to find the Miracle Diet Plan that allows me to eat pizza for breakfast, McD's for lunch and Baskin Robbins for dinner..so far no luck
Ok on a serious note..Over the past month and a half I was taking this powder stuff that is supposed to flush out 85% of the saturated fats consumed in a meal. This is called BOWS (barrious oil wrapping system) and it has cost me around $230 CAD so far. It didn't help me lose weight but I think it did do something cause I haven't gained alot either (and believe me, I was not being a smart dieter in August).
BOWS is too expensive for me now, so I decided to go the old fashioned route and reduce my daily calorie intake four days a week(I should do it everyday but, well, hey I am human and I love pizza). Thanks to the suggestions from the great people at this forum, I have become a stir fry junkie and I am eating stir fried veggies everyday. Also, yesterday I bought some APPLE CIDER VINEGAR so I have started taking a tablespoon before I eat each meal.
I'll let you know if it works.
Closed Thread