Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #1  
Restarting my journey :)

S/C/G: 210/184/130

Height: 5ft 6

Default What keeps you motivated?

I've been off the radar for a while, during which time I went on holiday, moved back in with my mum in London and adopted my bad eating habits again. I've been reading a lot, mostly people's blogs and posts and feel remotivated in a more positive way than ever before.

While writing in my journal last night, I came up with a new tool for staying motivated. I have a lot of clothes that I can no longer fit into, some that have never even been worn before. I decided to hang an item of clothing on the outside of my wardrobe instead of keeping it hidden and to try that item on after each weigh in. I'm hoping that keeping it outside of my wardrobe will be a nice visual reminder and trying it on will help me track my progress as well as re-educating myself in regards to clothes sizes.

I've previously had items of clothing on my goal list, but I've never really taken this approach before, I'm hoping it will help to keep me motivated and will, of course let you know how it goes, but I'm very curious as to what steps you all take to stay motivated? Whether it is at home, at work, in regards to food or exercise or anything else you struggle with... I eagerly await your replies
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #2  
fat burner

S/C/G: 178/159.8/135

Height: 5'2

Like you, my biggest motivation is clothing. Well, once piece of clothing to be exact: my wedding dress. I ordered it a few sizes smaller so I would have no choice but stick to my new healthly way of living!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Clothes too as in I've tossed all my too big ones out and need new ones but won't buy much until I'm closer to goal.

Also I sign up for big scary triathlon races that I have to improve my fitness level to be able to finish. Something about paying out all that money and the fear of not being able to finish is enough to keep up my exercise habits. It's worked beautifully so far.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #4  

LaurieMae, first conratulations That's such a huge commitment, not just the marriage, but having the dress too small, you're really brave, but that must be such a great motivation tool! How long have you got until the big day? Good Luck with everything

IdealMuse I've said before and I'll say again, I'd love to be able to participate in some kind of sporting event... I can't wait until I'm back to a good level of fitness

I've realised that I stay far more motivated/on plan when I come to the boards, even just to read and when I read people's weight loss blogs. It's nice to not feel alone in the struggle/journey... that's where I think I'd benefit from being part of a slimming club or something, but I don't want to follow any specific plan that I've seen out there. I think going to an exercise class might help to keep me motivated in regards to exercise, but I'm too self concious about my size and fitness to join a class right now... guess I'll just have to keep plodding on at home for a while
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #5  
fat burner

S/C/G: 178/159.8/135

Height: 5'2

The wedding is in May. So I have roughly 7 months to lose around 40 lbs.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #6  

That's very doable. I wish you every luck LaurieMae and I'm sure your wedding day will be fantastic
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

For me, also clothes, yes. And now that I`m half way through also never ever to pack it on again.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Mostly good health but I would like to be size 10 again. I dress really well but I would like to have more options with clothing and a bathing suit this summer.

DH and I would like to go to Cuba again (we went there on our honeymoon 16 years ago) for a romantic holiday and I want to be fit, be fluent (I am pretty good but would like to be better) in Spanish and be able to dance like a local when I get there.

DH wants to learn Spanish - Now I just have to talk him into taking Latin American dance lessons.

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 11-05-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #9  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

for me it's definitely a mixture of a few things...

I want to feel hot. I've always thought of myself as the pretty fat girl....maybe even beautiful, if I look ONLY at my face...but I was never confident about it because I know that other people are able to see my body from angles that I'm not, and I KNOW those angles don't make me look good. I want to be able to walk into a room and be confident and happy and not constantly nervous about who's looking at me or how I look or positioning myself in ways to try and hide my flabbier parts...things like that.

I also (kind of gross...lol) sweat a lot...my mother and father are the same way, so it's definitely genetic...but I hate it SO MUCH. Because I AM so big, people automatically assume that's why I'm sweating, because I'm the overheated fat girl who tried to do too much and couldn't handle it...but that's not it at all...it's just genetics. I do think that losing some of the weight will help me to not sweat as much, because there won't be as many rolls or places that get very warm that will sweat...but I also just don't want people jumping to conclusions and blaming it on the fact that I'm fat. That REALLY drives me nuts.

I live in TX and it gets HOT during the summer, and I would LOVE to feel comfortable walking around in sleeveless shirts. Right now my arms are just so huge, I feel like they're unproportionate to the rest of me, and they make me feel so ugly. I just want them to shrink SO badly!

Also, I'd love to be able to wear those cute sun dresses or shorts during the summer. Right now I won't wear anything shorter then Bermudas, it's just painful and I'm sure it looks TERRIBLE anyways..and I won't wear dresses really at all because my thighs rub together and it's really frustrating and painful...

I do have a lot of old clothes laying around I'd like to be able to fit, and some of them I already can fit into again...which is SUPER exciting. Every 10 lbs or so I go through the boxes of old clothes and try things on...and generally find more things I can wear =D

I want people to see me as the hot, sexy, active, fun, pretty, intelligent person I feel like I could be, and not just the funny fat girl.

I want to make my mom proud.

Oh, and I want to inspire other people to take better care of themselves and to try and lead healthier lives.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I'd like to wear a dress in comfort, without worrying about the pain of the thigh rubbing or having to wear tights underneath.

Another thing that drives me, I'd like to fit in my highschool prom dress. It was only 5 years ago that I was 17, I should be able to get back into that dress, even though that was just when I was starting to gain weight. I don't know if I ever will, but to be at least 145 I would be close to fitting.

So many things motivate, one thing is proving to everyone that yes, I Steph, the procrastinator, the one that never follows through, can stick to something, and be strong, to lose weight, to show them that I can do it just as well! I can have strength! I can work out! I can look great!

That was my motivation speech I say to myself, haha.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #11  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

i have two reasons....
1 clothes.....i have a lot of insentive clothes lol 2 duffle bags worth.. they are clothes i found that are to motivate me i was only allowed to use it when it fit me. its a very good system rewarding yourself with clothes instead of food....
2 the confidence ill gain when i lose the body i feel like ive been traped in
Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #12  

It seems everyone has similar reasons for losing weight and we seem to use similar tools for motivation too (not that it's surprising heheh)

I decided to write an extensive list on why I want to lose weight and be fitter and to read over it everyday to keep those positive rewards in mind.

I've found myself meditating on what I want from losing weight/exercising while I'm doing my cardio each day. It helps if I'm listening to some powerful music, but even if not I try to visualise me doing all the things I want to do like fitting into my amazing dress I've only been able to wear once and skiing all day without the effort of carrying all this weight around with me and being able to wear high heels without being in excrutiating pain after 10 minutes and going on a cycling holiday etc. I could go on for hours!!!

Visualising these things really helps me to push myself when I'm working out and I feel as if I'm really heading toward my goal for once. I don't feel like I'm looking for a fix, I'm not bound by time, I'm only bound by my actions and it feels good to be focused.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #13  

Right now I am motivated by a few things.

The first thing is that my clothing is not fitting me. I need to fix that!

The second motivation is that my DH and I are planning to go on a cruise in the early spring. I know I will not be that much smaller than I am now but at least I can take off a roll or two. I would ike to wear a swimsuit and sit by the pool in the sun with out feeling like a beached white whale. I also would like to get a sexy little dress to wear

The third reason is because I want to have another baby. The problem is I might need to have my tubes untied. One of them is partially healed open but it would make life easier to have them both open. It costs more to have the operation if you are overweight.
Closed Thread