Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5,1"

Question Breaking it to the parents... (tattoo related!)

Ok, so I have rather extensive tattoos on both my arms, pretty much complete half sleeves. Now my parents know about my one on my right shoulder, I got it 2 years ago, and to be honest they really did take it quite well. Of course they don't LOVE it but I guess they just thought there is nothing they can do about it. I promised them I would never get another one...
But, since that tattoo, i have my geisha down my left arm and continued my one on my right shoulder down to my elbow into a complete half sleeve. I wasnt too worried about having to break this to them as I had no plans to go home any time soon, and even if I did, Ive never had any trouble covering them up for a couple of days so they dont see. But we are going on a family holiday this summer (in 3 weeks actually), and I'm not going to get away with wearing long sleeves in the hot weather! Which means, I have to break it to them soon.. Of course, it is my life etc etc...and I know they're not going to dis-own me or anything. My main worry about telling them is that they still pay my rent for me as im still at uni. They give me money for food etc. But I have a job teaching violin and it's really well paid. I have NEVER spent the money my parents give me on tattoos. But I'm not sure they are going to see it that way.
Any advice on how to break this to them gently...?
Cat x
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

My advice would be is to just be honest. Totally honest. Sit down with them the first day you get there and talk about it, assure them that none of their $ has gone to ink!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

As a parent of young adults (not an alternachick), my advice is different - tell them soon - BEFORE you go on holiday together. Let them get used to the idea and hash out any issues that it raises before you spend time together.

Definitely let them know that you raised the money for it yourself, and let them know WHY you chose to get it and any significance that it has for you. If you can tie any of that back to their influence on your life, your upbringing, etc - do so. If they can come to understand why, it will help. Most of us in my age group do not "get it". Tattoos have such a sense of finality, and we know that as we age, we change what we like, don't like, even what we value. So - help them to see it from your perspective.

Soon.

Last edited by CountingDown; 06-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #4  

Height: 5,1"

I was going to do it before we go...I didn't want to ruin the holiday by telling them there!
My cherry blossom half sleeve is dedicated to my family, one flower for my mum, dad, sister and 2 grandmothers. Hopefully they will find that kinda sweet...
x
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I bet they'll take it better than you think. I mean, it's not really anything new. Plus, you sound very responsible, considerate and close with your family. I think it's great that you want to make sure it doesn't overshadow the vacation.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-29-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

My mother walked into my room when I was changing. My back was to her and she saw it and FREAKED out. ((That was 21 years ago. I have since had it lasered off and now the scar tissue looks like I tatooed it in white- I like it quite a bit more. (shoulda done that the first time)-- of course this is not exactly on topic))

I agree with the poster who recomended a pre-holiday disclosure discussion
Closed Thread