3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Alternachicks (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks-99/)
-   -   My peeps! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/alternachicks/167815-my-peeps.html)

Bellydanzer 03-27-2009 10:08 AM

My peeps!
 
Man am I glad to find this forum! Guess I'm an alternachick.
I'm a bellydancer, love to skateboard, into punk (esp. Celtic punk), metal, hip-hop, country, you name it. I'm old enough to have been through the hair metal 80s and survived. hehehe. I'm pretty nerdy and kind of a hippy and blah,blah,blah.

Anyway, glad to find some not 'normal' chicks here!

Robot 03-27-2009 11:47 AM

Welcome, Bellydanzer!

mauvaisroux 03-31-2009 09:58 PM

Welcome! :wave:

chicadee76 04-02-2009 12:57 PM

Hi and welcome! :)

PinkyPie 04-03-2009 03:36 PM

welcome from me too!!

what's celtic punk?

Bellydanzer 04-04-2009 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes!
Velveteen- Celtic punk is full of awesome! It's punk and irish, scottish,etc. traditional music all mixed in together. Punk with bagpipes, fiddles, tinwhistles, etc. If you want to give it a listen, check out bands like Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, the Pogues and The Tossers.

bopeep 04-30-2009 09:27 PM

A late hi from me too! :wave: I've been away from the board for a month of so because I am in my garden maniac stage of the year.

I'm a newbie belly dancer - I just started in September last year, and I'm totally addicted (I'm taking four (!!!) classes a week!).

Yay! Another Pogues fan! I've been a fan since they first came out (I'm old - 40). Have you ever heard of Gogol Bordello? They're my new favourite band - a mix of Eastern European/Gypsy/punk. DH thinks they sound like the Pogues - I don't agree, but they have that kind of cultural mixed sound going on as well.

BP

bobblefrog 04-30-2009 10:08 PM

I'm late saying hi too - BUT HI NOW!!!!! I'd love to learn to bellydance :-) It's definitely on my bucket list!

bopeep 05-01-2009 03:10 PM

Oh bobblefrog - go for it! Learn to belly dance! I am totally addicted to it and have fallen head over heals in love with it. It is soooooo much fun! It's hard work too - especially at first when you're learning to make your muscles do things that make you go cross-eyed! ;).

I wanted to learn for years and years, but I was afraid to try. I thought I was too fat, too old, and everyone would laugh at me because I looked silly. Then last year I turned 40 and something 'clicked' - I thought 'so what' if I'm fat. 'So what' if I'm older. And finally, 'so what' if someone thought I looked silly - I wanted to do this for *me*, not for them. Why was I letting some hypothetical stranger stop me from living my life the way I wanted to?

In the end, the fat didn't matter - my teacher is very plus positive, and belly dancing is one form of dance where the extra weight can look just fine. My age didn't matter - as long as I can move, I can do something. And nobody has said one negative thing to me. On the contrary - the teacher, the class, and the troupe have all been so encouraging, and so many other people have said they wished they could learn too.

So - check out your local community centres, dance studios and gyms. You should be able to find something in your area. If you can't afford the classes, there are loads of 'learn to belly dance' DVDs out there. I have to say that a class is 1000 times better than a DVD (the teacher can correct you, and you can ask questions), so if classes are in your budget, they're worth it.

BP

M Dizzle 05-01-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellydanzer (Post 2685025)
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Velveteen- Celtic punk is full of awesome! It's punk and irish, scottish,etc. traditional music all mixed in together. Punk with bagpipes, fiddles, tinwhistles, etc. If you want to give it a listen, check out bands like Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, the Pogues and The Tossers.

Ever listen to Albannach....they rock something fierce!

scarlett7308 05-17-2009 04:08 PM

Bellydancing is AMAZING. I took a class in 2007 and adored it. Once my daughter's a little older and I'm able to leave her with my parents for longer stretches of time, I plan on taking classes again. :)

kittyCat 05-25-2009 06:07 AM

New to this thread but hellloooo :)

I started bellydancing a few years ago, it was fantastic. Im only just getting back into it. I found it very spiritual/seductive (yes it can be both.lol)
I havnt heard of the groups you mentioned, i shall look into those.
Do you find it has changed your body in anyway?
xxx

One Fluffy Chick 06-03-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopeep (Post 2723027)
I wanted to learn for years and years, but I was afraid to try. I thought I was too fat, too old, and everyone would laugh at me because I looked silly. Then last year I turned 40 and something 'clicked' - I thought 'so what' if I'm fat. 'So what' if I'm older. And finally, 'so what' if someone thought I looked silly - I wanted to do this for *me*, not for them. Why was I letting some hypothetical stranger stop me from living my life the way I wanted to?
BP

bopeep: My thoughts were exactly like yours, only they came to me at 37. I saw one of my friends dance at a student recital, and when the teacher came out for her solo, I was hooked. She's a 56-yr-old ex-engineer, and an amazing dancer!

I've been taking classes now for 2-1/2 years, and I don't plan to quit anytime soon. In fact, I'm thinking about taking a tribal fusion class to see what all the hoopla is about. I love the way it looks, and I think I can move my body like that. :crossed:

What kind of dance is eveyone else doing? American Cabaret style for me.

Bellydanzer: A belated welcome to you. How do you like 3FC so far?

Lissus 06-18-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellydanzer (Post 2672547)
Man am I glad to find this forum! Guess I'm an alternachick.
I'm a bellydancer, love to skateboard, into punk (esp. Celtic punk), metal, hip-hop, country, you name it. I'm old enough to have been through the hair metal 80s and survived. hehehe. I'm pretty nerdy and kind of a hippy and blah,blah,blah.

Anyway, glad to find some not 'normal' chicks here!

LOL. You definitely sound like my type of chick. Nerdy hippy video gamin' metalhead here. :)

BTW... Dropkick Murphys rule!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2