Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #1  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

S/C/G: 328.6/272.0/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Tattoo Problems?

Have any of you had your tattoos become warped or mis-shapen with weight loss??

I have gotten all 5 of mine while being over weight but am worried with a significant weight loss that my skin will change causing them to become somewhat deformed??? Most are on areas that 'shouldn't' be too affected such as top of foot and wrist. but my 2 favorite, and largest are on my shoulder blades so i'm a little worried, anyone have this become an issue?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/186/170

Height: 5'5

I have three tattoos. One on my wrist, one on my foot and one on my lower back. They one on my lower back I got when I was 120 pounds, it didn't stretch out much when I gained weight but I did get a few faint stretch marks around it. Now that I have lost some weight the stretch marks aren't as noticeable and I don't see that it looks any different.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #3  

Hi, I am new here, first post...but I have a bunch of tattoos. One on my stomach that I got when I was very skinny. I have been pregnant 4 times, and each time, the tat grew with my belly, and then shrank down again. It has lost alittle color, but is not at all misshapen.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/203/160

Height: 5'11"

I have 15 and they have always seemed to be o.k as I have yo-yoed through the years from my heaviest 235 to my skinny phase 140.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #5  
Mistakes Don't Define Me

S/C/G: 328.6/272.0/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks ladies Very glad to know! I never carried and still don't carry much of my weight in my shoulder blades but i was a bit concerned. Last time i had it worked on was before I had lost any weight, now being 40 lbs down, i have to say it hurt a little more....could have been because i sat for 3 hours too, i dunno
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #6  
☆krista-kins™☆

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I have a lot of tattoos, I got 2 when I was 18 and 135 lbs, the one on my arm has stretched out a little but you have to look super close to tell. The other one I got at that weight goes up my spine and it has not changed at all. My artist told me places like forearm, calf, foot, chest, back are all ok, even if you gain/lose weight those are places that do not change much. Where as upper arms (my stretched one is upper arm), stomach, & thighs can be effected a bit more because there can be dramatic size changes. But they also informed me that the amount of damage is usually minimal and easy to fix with re-coloring etc. So honestly I wouldn't worry to much about it, Im sure it will be fine!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #7  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I have 7 tattoos - Two on my chest, one on each forearm, one on my leg, and the other on my lower arm closer to my hand. I've lost about 45+lbs (I was at 256lbs) and I haven't noticed any differences in any of them. I have read numerous times weight gain effects tattoos more than weight loss. Weight loss can actually make the tattoos look newer and more defined since the ink gets closer.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I haven't seen any difference in mine, really. I've gained and lost about 100 pounds a couple of times now, and they're still okay.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #9  
Has Sauce

S/C/G: 278/164/145

Height: 5'2"

I lost a total of 120 lbs since my high weight, the only difference I noticed is my tat colors darkened up with the weight loss. Kinda like... Have you ever written on a rubberband while it was stretched out and then let it retract? The writing darkens and gets smaller. That happened to my wrists (my tats circle each one), they looked like the color was fading as I gained and then darkened (the color was way more rich) as I shrank back down. It was relieving because I was thinking I was going to have to have them recolored.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

I've gained and lost and gained again, and I have tattoos on my legs, ankles, stomach, and chest. The only difference anywhere is I do have some stretch marks on my stomach going through the one, and it's faded (but it's also been there many years), but nothing recoloring couldn't fix. I'm waiting until I lose more though, but it's not something I'm worried about. My chest has inflated and deflated dramatically without affecting the tattoos at all.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #11  
Noob Fatty

S/C/G: fat/fat/unfat

Height: 6ft

Good to know most people aren't having a problem! That would be one **** of a waste of time/pain/money/art.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormwoodDoll View Post
I have 7 tattoos - Two on my chest, one on each forearm, one on my leg, and the other on my lower arm closer to my hand. I've lost about 45+lbs (I was at 256lbs) and I haven't noticed any differences in any of them. I have read numerous times weight gain effects tattoos more than weight loss. Weight loss can actually make the tattoos look newer and more defined since the ink gets closer.
That is a good point, yes. It does seem like the skin just shrinks the way a balloon with a design on it shrinks when you deflate it: the colors gets darker and more defined as it shrinks. On the other hand, I got my stomach tattoo when I weighed about 125 pounds, and over time I gained about 100 pounds more, and the whole tattoo was just lighter and bigger, since my belly was considerably bigger. the biggest problem is with gaining weight and having stretch marks appear through them, which happened to me, but once I lose the rest I am 100% certain that a slight touch up will make it look quite all right. The ones on my chest are just bigger than they used to be due to my boobs being bigger, but that's all.

The original poster doesn't have them in places where weight should drastically affect them, either, gain or loss, I wouldn't think.

I've considered waiting until I lose more to get my leg done, but now I think I really want to do it now, I don't think I'll have any negative problems with tattooing my leg and then continuing to lose weight. Worst case scenario is it'll just turn out a bit smaller (which means it would cost less to do at a lower weight, I suppose, lol, but I'm not willing to wait),
Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #13  

Height: 5ft6'

Sounds like yours are placed in pretty good places to. I mean places that don't shrink or grow as much as others. I think you and your art will be fine.
Closed Thread