Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Default need gift advice/suggestions

Dh is going on a business trip to Texas, and he will be staying at the home of a co-worker that he gets along with (DH tele-commutes from our place in Montreal). He needs a guest gift to bring, but we are stumped as to what to get. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them - hopefully something will sound right!

This person is a guy in his late thirties. He has just lost a *lot* of weight through switching to a healthy diet and exercising, so something like chocolates or maple syrup is not a good idea. He does not drink, so booze is out. He is a gaming geek, but DH and this guy work in the gaming industry, and so have access to tons of free gaming geek stuff already. He has no partner or kids, but he has a couple of cats. We don't know if he has any other hobbies.

So - not a lot to go on! You can see why we're stumped!

BP
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #2  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Gift certificate to a hobby store? But then he'll know exactly how much it costs, and I don't know if you want that:P I'm at a loss for any better suggestions, sorry!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #3  

Does dh know if he likes coffee? I always appreciate some really good coffee, like the organic stuff, you know, the stuff I feel to guilty on splurging on myself....you could throw in a couple of mugs if you like, maybe something with a Montreal theme?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I think the best gift I got from a visitor was a coffee table book of the CBGB club in NYC (I majored in music business). A coffee table book sounds kind of lame, but I really enjoyed it!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't know if he cooks or started cooking with his healthier habits - something gourmet in food or kitchen equipment would be nice. Like the coffee already mentioned, a fancy vinegar, cheese or mustard, sea salt ...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 378/364/168

Height: 5 ft 6

*sigh* Gifts for guys are sooo difficult sometimes. Especially when you don't know them really well and know what they've already got.

I'd go with something foody but healthy... I hate to say it but maybe a really nice fruit basket? Plants are also a good choice, although that might be too girly a gift for some men, so might not work unless your other half knows him well enough to say.

JulieJ08's suggestion of a fancy vinegar is good too - maybe a really nice bottle of Balsamic?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would get something unique to Montreal or at least Canada.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Healthy gourmet food stuff might be a pretty good idea - we have some pretty nifty local stuff and tons of imported French goodies.

We definitely prefer something with a Canada or Montreal "flavour". Usually we bring a big jug of maple syrup or maple candy, or some ice cider, but those aren't good for a teetotaling dieter

There is an local artisinal food store nearby - maybe they have something that will combine Canadiana and healthy food.

BP
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Oops sorry, I'm kinda late responding here; maybe he's made the trip already, but for next time, I immediately thought of those HIGH-END specialty salad dressings like l/c BALSAMIC dressings: you could buy a few different kinds and put them in a basket with some special seasonings and so forth. This would be great for a guy who is watching what he eats ...
Closed Thread