3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Alternachicks

My Mother and my Tattoo

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #16
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Bless her! (fwiw, I found the pain okay. I mean, it DOES hurt, but it doesn't go on hurting afterwards, and since you know why it's hurting it's not bad. 'Course, I used some numbing stuff. But it wore off after an hour, which left me with a further five hours of being inked...)

Of course, one of my colleagues said that it was worse than the pain of childbirth, ih her opinion, so your mileage may vary!

Where on your body are you planning to have it? Any chance of a link to a pic?

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

On my right thigh just below my hip. Its where she has her birthmark. That was the other part of the conversation I forgot!

Mom: Where are you putting it?
Me: Where your birthmark is.
Mom: Oh. I thought you were putting it somewhere else.
Me: Like where?
Mom: I don't know, somewhere not nice.
Me: -silence- Ok...

When its on next week, the first thing I'm doing is snapping pics before the bandage comes on. I'm going to dig through my stuff today and find my digital camera and take some shots of the sketch. I do NOT want to wait another 5 days!

broadabroad, I LOVE the peacock feather! That runs all the way down to your hip? Ow...

Short Term Goal- August 15

Last edited by gaia2094 : 01-31-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #18

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Geez, the thought of getting a tattoo in "a not nice place" to remind me of my mother - major willies. Well, she's got to be relieved I guess.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #19
Fay

"a not nice place"...gosh. The mind boggles. Bless her.

Looking forward to your pictures! Glad you like the peacock feather - this photo was taken with Photobooth on my MacBook, which works like a mirror - in truth the feather goes from my right shoulder down to my left hip. The end is sharpened to a quill point. I chose this because (1) it's a writing instrument (I love writing, and am perenially working on fanfiction or a novel or something); (2) it's so shiny and full of bravado - and I tend to dress in pretty bright, vivid colours, and quite often have sequins or other shiny things going on somewhere; (3) it's a feather, which is of course associated with flight - and I'm all about the travelling. (Presently living & working in Bangkok.) AND it's a design which should be pretty damn forgiving of weigh-gain or weight-loss, in a location which should also be pretty damn forgiving of same. The thing that clinched it for me, though, was that a few weeks after I'd settled on this design, I was in India, on the way to the Taj Mahal - and a wild peacock flew across our path. Stunning, it was, with its tail a great swag of feathers trailing out behind it as it flew. I took this as the universe's way of saying "YES! THIS is your design! Go for it!"

The design itself is my own, based on a feather I bought from the weekend market here in Bangkok. The artist traced my design onto my skin and coloured it in - she really did an awesome job with the colouring. It's got stars scattered around it, but the're not so good - my fault, I was just doodling them and didn't expect her to copy them so faithfully. At some point I'm going to get her to touch them up to be sharper and more regular in shape. ( As and when I reach goal, I may go for another tattoo... I'm contemplating an Ohm on my left wrist or foot, and Pi on my right wrist or foot. But we'll see - I had thought about getting a collection of images to symbolise different places I've lived or worked - Romania, Czech Republic, Canada, Scotland, London, Egypt, Thailand, Yorkshire...but I'm still pondering that one.)

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #20

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5' 6"

While most of you have responded to Gaia's issue with appropriate analogies, the only thing that comes to my mind is "passive-aggressive." I could be totally off course here, but consider it.

That said. I have two tattoos and my mother doesn't like them, saying something like "Why would you want to do that to your body?" Well, my mother has just had her third pair of fake tits taken out because of a life-threatening infection, so she has no credibility on the self-respect front.

Oh, and I know all about passive-aggressive mother/daughter relationships, having earned an honorary advanced degree due to life experience!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
The Witchy Veggie

Hmmm, I never thought about the possibility of passive/aggressive. I guess sometimes we are, but usually we fight outright and very loudly. We have more good times than bad (she took me to tea in Disneyworld before I left for college so we could bond and it was a great experience), and one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get the tattoo was because she is my biggest supporter in everything; my career choice, losing weight, whatever. I guess the tattoo was just a little much for her to be gung-ho about (looking back on my first post, I'm thinking "I made no sense to anyone at all").

Is the thigh a good place for a tattoo when you're losing weight? I thought it would be and I hope the tattoo won't get screwed up as I'm going down.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
Fay

OMG, you know, you've TOTALLY got me thinking about new tattoo ideas now! I've got several in mind already...argh!

But I think I'm going to wait until I've reached Goal.

...maybe.

Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
The Witchy Veggie

Here it is!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0079.jpg (29.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by gaia2094 : 02-02-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #24
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Height: 5'3"

We can't see it

Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #25
The Witchy Veggie

Better now?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #26
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Height: 5'3"

Yes, that's really pretty

Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #27
Fay

Yes, very pretty!

Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #28
The Witchy Veggie

And here's the final product.

100_0080.jpg

100_0082.jpg

It did hurt, but not enough to make me not want to get another one. It took about an hour and half, and he did some improvisation on it, like the extra curly wisps on the dust string thingy. I absolutely love it!

Last edited by gaia2094 : 02-05-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #29
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Wow! That turned out really beautiful!

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
The Witchy Veggie

My tattoo artist, Alex, was hilarious about doing "super-girly ****" as soon as the shop opened at noon ("but I like doing it... why all the purple?"). This place was cleaner than my doctor's office, and soap in just about every room. He talked and joked with me, reassured me that we could stop at any time if my blood sugar began to drop or if I felt woozy. They keep candy on hand just in case this happens. I did have to stop for a second twice, but for the most part it wasn't that bad. He made me stare at him in the eye as he gave me after care instructions, then gave me a card with everything he said on it. I was shaking and so tense in the chair that now my whole body aches. ^_^ It was worth it!!!!

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.