3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Alternachicks

Alternathread

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #31
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Wow. I'm so glad I live on the CA coast. I don't hear any bigoted statements. I think around here if people do think that way they at least know enough to shut up about it.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #32
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

FYI-there were more people that were more people at the rally protesting the KKK than there were in support, but it is the fact that we still have a presence that is unbelievable.

Spinymouse--I loved your "changing tradition one breakfast at a time posts"

Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #33
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My parents grew up in a religiously intolerant atmosphere (Catholic versus Protestant in Britain) but it made them more tolerant of others in the long run.

Apparently one of my grandmothers was a medium and one of my grandfathers was a buddhist (Imagine that in 1950's Scotland!) So my dad was really exposed to other ideas.

My mum remembers what it was like to be treated badly because you were different.

When I was a kid my parents didn't care what race/religion my friends were, they were just happy there were some kids in the neighbourhood for me to play with. Most of my friends were kids whose parents had immigrated to Canada just as mine had.

I guess this is why I don't understand racism or religious intolerance and I am very shocked when coming face to face with it.

*****on another note re: "small talk" ... Ugh! Over the years I have become good at it for the sake of my work relationships but sometimes just hearing it makes my head hurt. Its hard to relate to people who think light reading is the T.V. Guide and when you want to discuss Shakespeare!

Still if we were all the same life would be boring.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #34
change

Oooh....cool history with your grandparents! That would be fun to research!

Ha! TV Guide! Yep, I can't count how many mornings I have heard, "Hey, did you catch (insert program here) last night...oh, I forgot, you don't have television. Well, err, uh,......mmmm....ummmm," Or how many times I am asked if I have seen so and so's commercial. Commercials! Folks don't know what to talk about if it's not relted to the tele. On a similar note, I have tickets to see Macbeth this weekend

And, yes, sigh....life would be boring if we were all the same, but I do have aspirations of the human race becoming a wee more intelligent. Hey. A girl can dream can't she

Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #35

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

I'm new to this site, and new to the reinvention of myself. I decided about 6 months ago that I was going to complete revamp myself, body, mind, and soul. My mind and soul are quickly reconditioning - and I'm becoming the "internal" me again. I joined this site to work on the outer me. Mostly because the woman I see in the mirror is not who I see in my mind's eye.

Reasons why I'm considered "alternative" - I live in the conservative Mid-west, always have - and have never fit in. I'm 27 years old, have an amazing daughter, and and incredible boyfriend that we live with. *shock - living-in-sin* - and no intentions of getting married anytime soon (much to my mothers dissapproval). I've been married - not my thing.

I am strong-willed, educated, sarcastic, and brave. I have 12 piercings: 9 in ears, both nipples and my tounge. I have 3 tattoos: one rainbow butterfly on my ankle, representing my bisexuality, a fairy on my right shoulde blade w/ my daughter's name under it, and the chinese symbol for "slave" on my left shoulder blade that represents my commitment to my boyfriend and Master (his is on his left forearm). I have been called a freak from time to time. I'm a lot to keep up with

My views are pretty libral, and I'm not one to judge... I love everyone equally - and push the norms to the extreme. I'm very competative, which is not a desired quality (generally) in a woman.

I completely baffle people that I work with - who are extremely right-winged, religious republicans... but I'm one **** of a worker and I'm not afraid to stand my ground or voice my opinion - even though I'm always the odd man out.

I'm easy-going, and easy to get along with. I love to get to know people of like minds.. or people that give me something to think about and challenge my beliefs.

Last edited by Enygirl : 11-05-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #36

Welcome enygirl!

I think it is really important to stay true to yourself. I get along with people at work (easy, cause most of them are really nice) but I avoid discussing certain topics with them because I know my views would seem radical or weird - besides I have friends outside of work that I can talk to about life, the universe and everything.

I said to someone the other day that I feel like I have a split personality -
one is the office worker who is the conscientious, analytical, efficient, legal professional and then there is my artsy, gothy, sci-fi - horror loving, bellydancing gamer girl side - if I didn't have creative outlets I would go bonkers!

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #37
change

Enygirl! I think it's cool that you have MILF on your profile

Blessings on the revamping of the outer you. I'm right there with you--trying to get the three (body, mind and spirit) to be in harmony. It's in the bag, baby.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #38

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Thanks for the warm welcome! I knew that I'd find where I belong
~Mauvaisroux - I completely understand the split personality thing. I used to be that way completely! Now I'm me 100% all the time, I just bite my tounge more often at work.

I have to say that all of you are an inspiration to me - I love seeing the tickers everyone has that have how much they've lost. It proves to me that I can do it too! I weigh in every Friday w/ the girls at work - we have a Christmas challenge going and right now I'm in 2nd (out of 5)... I could sure use the money on the 21st of December - but more importantly I could use the positive smile looking back at me when I start to see the woman inside showing through.

Last edited by Enygirl : 11-06-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #39

Enygirl - good luck with the challenge!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #40
This riot grrl's a cynic.

S/C/G: 269/264/160

Height: 5'8.75"

I think alternative is the only label that fits me well, and thats just because it is so extremely broad.

I grew up a punk rebel grrl in a small college town, went to an "alternative" high school (my graduating class was 60). I dyed my hair every color imaginable, and shaved most of it off after getting sick of stupid men's catcalls one day (I was 15). Lots of piercings in my late teens, most taken out in my early 20's so I could work. 13 tattoos so far though. Most of my clothes that aren't jeans are black (not into bright colors except for socks and purses).

I tried hard not to label myself sexually but since I'm married to a guy society does it for me. I consider gender and sexuality fluid.

I am a Feminist. (Rare for women in the south to admit it...too scared of being seen as man hating lesbians)...

I listen to all kinds of music, but avoid what is on the radio...

I think it is ridiculus for actors and athletes and musicians to make millions of dollars when teachers and people doing manual labor can barely make ends meet.

okay...I'm getting a little rant-y...*steps off soapbox*

hehehe
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
change

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGrrlCynic View Post
I think alternative is the only label that fits me well, and thats just because it is so extremely broad.
(not into bright colors except for socks and purses).

I tried hard not to label myself sexually but since I'm married to a guy society does it for me. I consider gender and sexuality fluid.

I am a Feminist. (Rare for women in the south to admit it...too scared of being seen as man hating lesbians)...

I listen to all kinds of music, but avoid what is on the radio...

I think it is ridiculus for actors and athletes and musicians to make millions of dollars when teachers and people doing manual labor can barely make ends meet.

Wow. Ummmm....did I write that or you?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #42

Confession - I am a 40 year old woman who shops at Hot topic
I bought 3 tops there on the weekend - my new hoodie has kitty ears - I will never grow up!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #43
This riot grrl's a cynic.

S/C/G: 269/264/160

Height: 5'8.75"

a hoodie with kitty ears!!! I am so jealous!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #44

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #45

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5' 6"

After a couple of hours of lurking on different forums & reading tons of posts, this is my first foray into 3FC. Not sure why I picked this thread, but it stuck a chord. I too live in a very conservative area and feel entirely out-of-place, more so since my husband moved out nearly 2 months ago. While my wardrobe is a far cry from the black-lace-laden days of yore, inside of my 39 year old body I'm still the girl who used to paint her lips with blue liquid eyeliner.

Which is part of the whole joining-a-forum thing. I am trying to figure out who I am, where I'm going and what I'll do when I get there. Maybe it's a midlife crisis, but I feel like I've lost a big part of what made me feel unique and self-confident.

My weight used to hover around 145#, but I quit smoking nearly 4 years ago and watched it creep up past 160#. AND I started smoking again. Smoking, while stupid, became part of my "alternative identity" as an angry goth.

So, yeah I have many Liberal views and am a non-religious person who smokes, living in a small town where seemingly everyone has 2.2 children and eats meat and potatoes in their uninteresting homes every night. Now that I live without human companionship (2 dogs & 2 cats though, far better company than the majority of humans!) I'm looking for some support, advice and friendly kicks-in-the-butt to get my weight and my life in control.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.