Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #91  

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Glad to be back on 3 chicks and glad to be back working on my health/weight.
teati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 258.8/252.00/200

Height: 5'9"

Default Good Morning

Hey Ladies just checking in. I am ok went to chiro yesterday even though I wasn't sure he would be able to work on me since I was still smarting from last visit. But glad I did he took it easy on me and it feels better today.
Diet wise I am doing well, pretty much on program definitely following carb restrictions 100%. Not as low fat as I should be but one thing at a time. Actually taking all vitamins which is a miracle for me. I always say I dread when I have to start taking daily meds bc I am bad. I always start out ok then just stop totally. I'm drinking my water and green tea. Not supposed to get on scale for 8 weeks. Have to admit I did this week and lost 3#s but I am going to throw the scale downstairs so I am not tempted. It's weird I don't want to eat and almost have to make my self eat bc you aren't supposed to go 5 hrs w/o eating. But when I do I am sick of eating meats. cheeses and salads so I have to change it up. That always gets me when I go low carb. I feel good and don t have cravings just not crazy about the food.

Last edited by thatsok; 01-18-2017 at 09:57 AM.
thatsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My birthday is coming up, in case anyone wants to make a quilt for me. LOL Making a quilt has been on my bucket list for a long time, but I haven't done it yet. I have a simple beginners pattern I found in a magazine and have been holding onto it.

When I retired, I wanted to crochet some lap robes for people in nursing homes, but I never got around to that either. I guess I make plans but don't follow through. I lost my job of 33 years in 2000, at the age of 55. I knew it was coming for 2 years. Our accounting department was moved to home office out of state. Between banked vacation days and severance pay I left there with a hefty chunk of change. I paid off our house, and all our other bills...credit cards, car payments. Three months later I got the job at the pharmacy. I had seen that they were starting to hire, but was unable to quit and take that job because I would lose my severance. Fortunately for me, they were still hiring by the time I was available for work. I worked there for 9 years until I retired at 64. It was a very easy relaxing job to me, compared to the accounting I did all my life. The work was everyone's work. I left each day knowing there would be nothing piled on my desk when I came in the next morning. It was a drop in pay to start, but OK with my bills all paid off, and by the time I left there I was back up to what I had been making at the other job. I've had some illness, but right now I'm doing pretty good for a fat old lady. LOL

I held my weight at 202 again this morning. That was very encouraging. Gayle, I agree that that could possibly lift my blue mood. I am a big protein eater, but it's mostly chicken and eggs, only occasional red meat. I haven't had much carb at all, and that's best for me. Yesterday we went out for dinner and I got a grilled chicken and vegetable salad. I've had it before and it's good. There is white meat chicken in it, and also mushrooms and zucchini, and they grill all that together in a dressing, then it's added warm to the greens. The warm and cold is refreshing. Garlic toast came with it, and I ate 1 piece. I like to dip it in ranch dressing, which I got with the salad. I know some people think that ordering a salad in a restaurant is boring, but some of the ones I order around here are exceptional. And I feel so much better eating something light rather than a heavy meal. I can't make a salad that good at home as I don't have all those ingredients on hand. I'm doing a better job at not picking at things through the day. I hope I can stay on track. Onederland would be a great birthday present. I am up 8 lbs since last January and have been stuck and stagnant since then.

Today I will be having red meat as I bought a roast to try in my electric pressure cooker. And I bought a ham to cook on Sunday during the Steeler game. The local supermarket had them for sale on managers special. I think they wanted to get rid of hams leftover from Christmas. My ham on Christmas was so much better than the ones I made in the past. I had a meat thermometer in it and checked it every half hour, as I have a tendency to forget about it and over cook it and it's dry. I'm hoping I can do the same with this one. My stove has a temperature probe. That would probably work, but I've never used it. I don't even know where the probe is. In a drawer somewhere. LOL

Mary, I'm sorry to hear that your son and his wife had those 2 accidents. One is bad enough. Glad no one was hurt, but there's so much aggravation that results from an accident, and sometimes injuries can show up later. I believe my hole in my macula could have been caused by a rear end accident we had. A woman hit us, not hard enough to damage the car, but I believe the jarring could have caused my problem. I have no way of knowing. The doctor said it could have been from an accident, or from age.

I hope your snow melts soon. Our weather has been rainy, but in the 40s and they say it's going to continue for a while. El Nino, or something like that.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #94  

Sharon, hopefully in time you will become more accustomed to eating low carb and venture out to get a little more variety. I don't eat much cheese, and seem to prefer chicken to red meat. Each of us must find what works best for us. I think you will do well. I don't think there's a problem with weighing as long as you are aware of fluctuations. I think waiting 8 weeks to weigh is wrong. What if you wait that long and you haven't lost anything? Better to know that you're progressing and seeing a loss can be encouraging. From what I remember, it seems that plan is more about fixing your blood sugar and weight loss is supposed to be secondary.

Mary, it's very hard to buy ripe bananas these days. I know they have to be shipped green or they would be too ripe when they get to the stores. When I worked for the grocery wholesaler they had a banana room that contained gasses that helped ripen the bananas. I think that raises the cost, so they would rather just leave them green and let the consumer wait until they are ripened. That doesn't help when you want them today. LOL At our house, I like them when they are yellow, but DH likes them when they start to get really ripe.

I made pot roast today. DH likes potatoes. I peeled 3 small potatoes and put them in with the roast and he said "I hope you're putting more potatoes in than that." He knows I don't eat them, although I did eat a small piece of one. I put 3 more in. Now there are 3 left sitting there plus the half of the one I cut for myself. So that means he only ate 2. I wish he would just let me prepare what I'm preparing. I know how much food to cook for just the two of us. I KNEW he would not eat 6 potatoes, no matter how much he likes potatoes. Now they are going to be throw away because he won't eat leftovers. We waste so many potatoes because even with mashed potatoes, he makes me prepare way more than are going to be eaten. He must be thinking back to when his kids lived with us.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #95  

Carol Sue - I am a quilter! I love it. I learned from a local quilt shop. They had a class a week for 4 weeks - about $60.00 (quilting ain't cheep) and at the end of the class you had a quilted table runner. Then you just take off with your own projects. Best thing I have done for myself in a long time. I've been quilting for about 7 years. I would highly recommend it. Marian
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #96  

Good Morning All,
Mary sorry to hear you didn't sleep well but hope you continue to feel good today. That reall can throw me off not getting sleep. And good job on th BS readings hope you get your food today that seems crazy that you are waiting so long. I might make a call to the company to get it resolved but you may have already done that.
Well I'm not supposed to weigh myself for eight weeks but caved and did. I was starting to get that feeling "maybe I'l do something else I don't know if I can eat like this for 8 weeks I don't know if I'm even losing weight etc so I jumped on the scale and was glasd I did. Lost and it gave me the motivation to keep going. I am going to stay on this program for 8 weeks no matter what. I always give up and not finish things so it is important not only for my weight loss but for my self generally.
Yesterday I had a good interview at a local hospital for a dining ambassador position. I think interviews went well. It pays more than I expected and something that I would love to do and I think I would be good at it.
Well everyone have a good day. I am out of here because if I stay home I won't be able to stay away from the TV and honestly I do not want to see it, lol.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #97  

Sharon, I googled to see what a dining ambassador does but couldn't find anything, so I'm dependent on your explanation. Never heard of it.

I have a lot of things to do today so I will not just sit and watch TV, but it will be on and I will look from time to time. It's going to happen anyway whether I'm watching or not.

DH is on the phone with his brother right now, and they are arguing about what make of car the limo is. ha ha Boys have their priorities!

Marion, it would be great to go to a class, and $60 isn't really unreasonable. I think I would be able to figure out my easy beginners patters I have. I would machine quilt, not hand quilt. I don't have the patience for that. I taught myself to knit and crochet using an instruction book I bought. Then I went to classes at the Y, expecting to learn more, but didn't really. Only doing it over and over perfects your skills. I entered an afghan in the county fair and won 4th prize. That was good for the first time as there were so many nice entries.

Mary, I don't eat much fruit either and I don't consider it unhealthy. I feel that I get most nutrients from other things. If I never had fruit again I would not miss it. I like bananas but they are considered high sugar and not recommended for diabetics. In the hospital, they would give me a half banana for a serving. DH and I split an orange every day, and I figure I'm getting some vitamin C and fiber from that half orange, but if he didn't buy them and peel them I would not be eating them. I bought some blueberries and froze them, intending to eat them in my plain greek yogurt, but they still sit in the freezer. I have had a few on two occasions. Never think about them.

I do like pears and I buy them canned. That was something they gave me in the hospital, but only 2 slices of pear was a serving. I buy the ones packed in juice rather than syrup. Even if you drain the syrup, the sugar still soaks into the pears. DH has to have his fruit packed in syrup. He likes lots of sugar on everything. LOL

DH told me when he was growing up, his father insisted that there be leftovers at every meal. He said that if there was no food leftover, then maybe someone didn't get enough. If there was food leftover, then everyone was full and satisfied. His father had a good job and they always had a lot of the best food available. DH's eyes are bigger than his stomach. Last night I was making a dish he likes that is similar to Hamburger Helper. Browned ground beef, fried potatoes, green beans and mixed with diluted mushroom soup. He helped He cooked way too many potatoes. I told him that but he didn't care. When I make it myself he always tells me I didn't cook enough potatoes. But there's always some leftover, so it was enough. I try to eat it eating mostly meat and green beans, with just a few potatoes, but it was impossible to avoid them. He should just let me cook the right amount. We end up running out of potatoes sooner because so many are wasted. Any time I make pasta, he tells me "Pasta is cheap...cook the whole box." Then it's wasted. I could make a box of pasta last for 2 meals. I know it's cheap, but I hate to waste, plus having the leftovers temps me to eat too much. I want him to be the kind of guy who just sits there watching TV until I say dinner is ready. He always comes in and watches what I'm doing. Maybe he's afraid I will poison him. LOL

Today I am going to make a pumpkin roll for DH and also want to make choc chip cookies to take to my grandson on Sunday. Don't know if I will get them both done.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #98  

Carol Sue a dining ambassador is just a fancy name for the person you takes patients orders and enters them into the computer and brings them their meals.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
there were others waiting for their pkgs too (they are very behind due to being closed during the snow),
Mary , this made me think of "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" but I guess that's USPS not FedEx. LOL

The guys finally saw the Cadillac emblem on the front of the limo, so DH was right.

I didn't get to watch the whole inaguration, but I saw bits and pieces and saw the key parts when they were repeated. I was very proud of our President today. In spite of his imperfections, I believe that he truly wants to work toward improvements beneficial to the American people. I hope I'm not wrong.

So far the demonstrations in Pittsburgh have been peaceful. I don't see how the damage and looting is acceptable, no matter how much you don't like the man.

No matter how long I go without eating, I don't get a true low. My BS may go down and I may get symptoms, but if I check, it's never below the 85 range. The only time was that one time that I had a reading of 44 during the night, and that was caused by my Amaryl.

I used to get pains but I haven't had any for a long time. Months. DH gets a lot of pain during the night, in his shoulders, wrists and thumb. Why his thumb, I don't know. I sometimes rub his hand for him during the night and it helps him fall asleep. Doesn't do anything for my sleep, though. LOL I take a statin...he does not. I should be the one getting the pain.

I was googling, trying to find out what is beneficial in fruit that is not found in any other foods. Maybe certain antioxidants. We did not get fruit growing up. I remember oranges occasionally, but mostly not. We were very poor and most of what we ate was a lot of starchy foods. Cheap and filling. Lots of pasta and potatoes, very little meat, some canned vegetables. I don't remember any fresh vegetables. My taste buds like mostly savory foods, not sweet, so that could be why I don't eat much fruit, and I prefer hot or warm foods, not cold. Ice cream is an exception to that rule. LOL

I cook a lot of food when I have company, because my step-children love to take leftovers home of everything. They did not inherit that trait from their father, that's for sure. He hates leftovers and refuses to eat them. But on a holiday, they sometimes even bring their own containers so they can take leftovers home. I could cook for how many people were coming, but they would be disappointed. Last Thanksgiving my step-daughter went to her sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner, but stopped at my house on the way home because her sister-in-law didn't offer any leftovers. LOL She took some of mine. And often during the week I give her some of our leftovers, as she only lives 2 miles away. There have been times when all I had leftover was mashed potatoes and she takes them. Just cooks meat and veggies to go with them and she has dinner.

I used to walk outdoors. I got a good workout because we have a lot of hills. I stopped doing that after I had my heart surgery. I don't want to get out there somewhere and have something happen and I am not close to home. That's why I use my treadmill. One time we were at the mall and there were people walking. This one woman actually shoved DH out of her way so she wouldn't lose her momentum. LOL

Sharon, I now understand the job. I would like that, too, and I hope you get the job, as long as you don't get the repercussions if they don't like their food. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-21-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #100  

Height: 5'3"

Lots to do today. Just got home from getting my mani/pedi. Stopped at the jewelers next door to get my rings cleaned and was told the middle diamond in my wedding ring is loose. It's a channel set so I thought they were pretty secure. So now I guess I won't be wearing it until I have time to get it fixed.

So far no new weight loss but still hoping maybe tomorrow.

It's raining today and that rain is cold!I had to walk out of the mall in my flipflops so I was really feeling it!

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #101  

Quick post running to chiro
Diet going well but I'm going to chuck the scale. Not supposed to go on scale for 8 weeks and went on last week. And of course I have been a bit obsessed so it is going in the closet. Nothing good ever come from the scale I get into that diet mentality.
Didn't get the job but will continue to look.
Ok ttyl
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #102  

Yesterday we went to my step-son's to celebrate my birthday which is coming up. They got me a little cake. They know I don't eat cake, but they like cake. LOL My 8 year old grandson sang Happy Birthday and I blew out the candles. There was no pressure for me to eat it. I don't even like cake or any sweets that much anymore. My daughter-in-law set out some cheese and crackers and I had some cheese cubes and 2 Triscuits. I was happy with that. That's more my kind of food. They were eating pizza too, but we had had lunch before we went so we didn't not eat pizza either. DH doesn't like to eat at other people's houses for some reason. He has always been that way. But he did eat cake. He loves his sweets.

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job, but there's a reason, and there's probably something out there more suited to you. Good luck.

I stay off the scale if I feel that I have gained or didn't lose. I only get on when I feel that I've lost. I ate ham yesterday and I imagine the salt has my fluid levels elevated. No scale to day. Any time I stayed away from the scale for an extended period of time I ended up with a gain. I need to weigh every several days at least so I know where I stand. I get on and just hope for the best. Rarely do I get a surprise. I can usually tell by how I feel and my clothes whether I'm up or down.

I really really need to get back to my exercising. I know I'm not doing it because I'm so cold and the downstairs is even colder than the upstairs, but I would warm up once I got going. I just need something to give me that nudge.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-23-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #103  

Default Lost a couple

Hi Everyone, Doing well so far - 19 lbs gone - forever! I'm doing low carb and am reading The New Atkins for a New You. There is so much out there on low carb - I wanted to focus on one or two books.

Good luck to all of us. Stay strong! Marian
Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #104  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

And Marian ~ you're in Onderland now ~ way to go. That is awesome
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #105  

Yes Glynne, I am so happy about onderland! It's been a while! Thanks for mentioning it! Marian