Old 07-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #1  

Default Visiting the Bridal Shop for daughters wedding...scared!

My daughter is getting married and we have to go to the bridal shop with her bridesmaids to try on some dresses in a few days.

Its been a long time since I've seen myself in a full length mirror. I know I've been putting weight on. I just don't want to be reminded

Has anyone had a similar experience?
hawaiihypnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #2  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi there! I feel your pain! My son will be getting married next summer, and I'm determined not to be a fat 'mother-of-the-groom'! My weight has been fluctuating for years - mostly upwards! I first joined 3fc many years ago, but have just decided to return as I need all the support I can get! I really want to get my weight under control and for my hubby and son to be proud of me on the big day.

At the moment, the thought of trying to find a special outfit to wear fills me with dread! I used to love wearing dresses in my slim days, but now I mostly wear trousers and tunic tops to cover up my fat! I hate looking at myself in the mirror, or having photos taken. So, apart from losing weight for the obvious added health benefits, what better incentive than to lose it for your son's, or daughter's, wedding day ...?!

When is your daughter getting married? Have you already started looking for your special 'Mother-of-the-Bride' outfit? I have ideas in my head of the sort of dress I'd love to wear, and I've been looking online for some ideas of styles and colours, which I've saved to a Pinterest page to give me some incentive and motivation to lose weight. It's been so long since I've been able to wear nice dresses that I really have no idea what will suit me, so I'm gathering lots of ideas for when the time is right to actually buy something. Although my son isn't getting married until next summer, I'll be looking to buy my outfit in the UK at the beginning of March ... the reason for this is that I'm actually from the UK, but have been living in Hong Kong for many years. I'll need to return to the UK before the wedding to find an outfit as there's no way I'd find anything suitable here in Hong Kong! Also, my son is getting married in Spain, which means it's going to be VERY hot, so that's something else I need to consider when finding the right outfit!

Anyway, if you feel like it'd help to keep you motivated, and you need a bit of moral support, I'd be more than happy to keep in touch ...
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

I had this similar feeling last year. My son got married. I wanted a great dress but it was hard. I ordered online and tried on at least 15 dresses from Dillards, Nordstroms, & Lord & Taylor. MY DIL told me her mother got her dress and it was tea length . Well I know what tea length is and when I got there her dress was a GOWN. and it was gorgeous. She's younger and more fit then I am. Thank Goodness I went with my gut and decided before hand that I was the mother of the son and I wanted to wear a gown. I ended up finding a Dress at Macy's on sale. I didn't love it but I had run out of options. In the end it's all about the bride and I had a good time. IT was hot as heck and it was outside. I think the best part was when me and my son had our dance and then we went into a hip hop song that everyone knew and sang along. I still have the video clip on my desktop....it makes me smile.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridal, daughter, wedding